Where can I find French Canadian one row Accordion lessons?

Dylan Montgomery

Mar 11, 2021, 10:40:45 PM3/11/21
So I am very curious about the French Canadian one row diatonic accordion. I think they are similar to Cajun accordions but are tuned in D. Is there any online self teaching courses? Does anyone know about where to find resources about this? I love the music and would love to learn to play it.

David Dalton

Mar 11, 2021, 11:46:06 PM3/11/21
On Mar 12, 2021, Dylan Montgomery wrote on rec.music.makers.squeezebox
(in article<cff46681-8966-404c...@googlegroups.com>):
The Newfoundland accordion is the same I think, and there
is some similarity in the tunes, so this book might be of some
use:

https://www.reidmusic.com/products/kelly-russell-button-box

I’ve crossposted this to some related groups, but have set
Followup-To back to rec.music.makers.squeezebox

"I will stare at the sun until its light doesn’t blind me
I will walk into the fire until its heat doesn’t burn me" (S. McLachlan)

Dylan Montgomery

Mar 12, 2021, 9:11:53 PM3/12/21
I thought they mostly played two row in newfoundland, but if they play one rows there that would be great.

David Dalton

Mar 13, 2021, 12:19:23 AM3/13/21
On Mar 12, 2021, Dylan Montgomery wrote
(in article<d61dcd4d-7a51-4880...@googlegroups.com>):

> I thought they mostly played two row in newfoundland, but if they play one
> rows there that would be great.

Oh yes, many play four stop one row accordions, notably Frank Maher.

Ike Milligan

Mar 13, 2021, 1:24:31 PM3/13/21
On 3/13/2021 12:19 AM, David Dalton wrote:
> On Mar 12, 2021, Dylan Montgomery wrote
> (in article<d61dcd4d-7a51-4880...@googlegroups.com>):
>
>> I thought they mostly played two row in newfoundland, but if they play one
>> rows there that would be great.
>
> Oh yes, many play four stop one row accordions, notably Frank Maher.

To the OP:
I don't know the genre or actual tunes but there is a beginner book for
squeezebox that got into the public domain I can mail you a copy of.
Normally I sell it but just for U.
Once you know the way around the keyboard you can go by ear.
Call 301-649-1266 and then call the secret number on the voicemail to
get a copy of the short manual with a few simple tunes.
But from your post it may appear you haven't got a squeezebox yet. There
are a lot of them around that may be one or more rows but any row would
be set up the same, so just play on one row unless you want to get fancy.
Some old European boxes have one button called a "gleichtone" that is
same note both ways, but you are not likely to find one.

Dylan Montgomery

Mar 13, 2021, 3:07:07 PM3/13/21
What key would you recommend if I got a one row? I am thinking D for French Canadian fiddle tunes?

Ike Milligan

Mar 16, 2021, 8:57:43 PM3/16/21
D or G. you can play them on a GCF or AD just to learn then later think
whether you need a Cajun type of box in G or D
D is probably the most popular but that's just a guess.