Sonola Rivoli Accordion

R Cole Bouck

Mar 7, 2021, 7:19:39 PM3/7/21
Looking for a way to get an honest appraisal of this family accordion. Lansing, MI, USA here. Any suggestions?

Instrument:
• Accordion Type: Full Size Piano Accordion
• Color: Ivory
• Brand: Sonola
• Model: Rivoli (Model # Unknown)
• Country/Region: Italy
• Dimensions: Case = 21.5”W x 18”D x 9.5” H
Accordion Overall = 19.5”W x 16.25”D x 8.5”H
Keyboard = 19.5”W x 5”D
• Weight: Accordion & Case = 28 lbs; Accordion 20 lbs.

Features:
• Detailed photos available.
• Number of Treble Keys: 41
• Number of Bass Buttons: 120
• Number of Treble Register Switches: 7
• Number of Bass Register Switches: 3
• Includes Straps: Yes
• Includes Case: Yes

Condition:
• Used
• Excellent vintage condition (including bellows).
• One minor indentation on front left grill; otherwise, no damage just minimal age-related patina.
• All straps are in like-new condition, no cracking or splitting.
• Flat and fast keyboard. No sticking key.
• Tight bellows. No leaking. No odors/smells.
• Original hard case with felt-lined interior exhibits no signs of structural or functional damage, just cosmetic wear from normal use.

Narrative:
This item belonged to a family member who played quite proficiently in probably the later 1930’s perhaps through the 1940’s.

Ike Milligan

Mar 7, 2021, 9:42:00 PM3/7/21
Sonola was a good accordion. I could tell a lot more if I saw a picture
of it. you can email me no more than 3 photos because my email server
has a 100 megabyte limit. accord...@nanospring.com only change "nano"
to "mind" in the email

Ike Milligan

Mar 8, 2021, 11:53:11 AM3/8/21
I have seen the pics. This is a very popular Rivoli model. It seems to
have the 17" keyboard, as the others I have seen looking just like it.
The switches show an LMH configuration which rules out the more popular
(these days) musette tuning which some of the identical models could
have with the LMM. From the description it would still be great to play
pop, jazz and Klezmer, not so desirable among players of the Celtic
genre, though as they say "To each his own", because with great Sonola
reeds you could accomplish anything.
From the description and the photos it looks to be in great shape and
try to get at least a few hundred for it.

Ronald Long

Mar 8, 2021, 6:41:48 PM3/8/21
There are a lot more people on the Accordion Appraisal group in Facebook.
And no one can really give you a really meaningful appraisal without actually seeing / playing the instrument.

R Cole Bouck

Mar 8, 2021, 8:16:48 PM3/8/21
Thank you.

Ike Milligan

Mar 10, 2021, 9:47:55 AM3/10/21
Estimates of value online can be meaningful, bearing in mind that most
accordions are going to need a "reed overhaul" after at most 50 years
and might need tuning if rust or tobacco smoke etc. got onto the reeds.
Needing tuning is a problem because there is no easy way to do that.
Filing the reeds causes uneven response. The best way to tune a reed is
use sandpaper or fine abrasives while protecting the reed plate. This
preserves the "reed profile" which is a variation in thickness, while at
the same time polishing the reed. I don't know any self-styled
technicians whom I would trust to work on my accordions, though I admit
I don't know of any who might exist since I live a sequestered
existence with my 100 or so vintage accordions, but experience, and
looking at the damage done by idiots on accordions, makes me think these
people are as rare in the country as the Sasquatch.
Any issues with the accordion are going to make the sale value a mere
fraction of what a new one of equivalent quality would be, bearing in
mind that equivalent quality is a chimera.
The community of people necessary to mass produce good accordions no
longer exists.