Zinc reeds on aluminium reed plate?

fly...@gmail.com

May 4, 2020, 11:02:21 AM5/4/20
Has anyone ever seen an instance of reed plates made of aluminium but the reeds themselves being made of zinc?

I own a 1940's German accordion that seems to have this.

Ike Milligan

May 5, 2020, 7:54:05 AM5/5/20
On 5/4/2020 11:02 AM, fly...@gmail.com wrote:
> Has anyone ever seen an instance of reed plates made of aluminium but the reeds themselves being made of zinc?
>
> I own a 1940's German accordion that seems to have this.

No. it has zinc plates? R U nuts?

fly...@gmail.com

May 5, 2020, 10:12:22 AM5/5/20
No it has aluminum plates but the reeds are much darker metal. Are you blind?

Ike Milligan

May 5, 2020, 2:02:40 PM5/5/20
On 5/5/2020 10:12 AM, fly...@gmail.com wrote:
> No it has aluminum plates but the reeds are much darker metal. Are you blind?

I would much like to solve your question but this site has no pictures.
you would need to post a link to a picture of the reeds or send a
picture to my email address.

Ike Milligan

May 7, 2020, 10:30:35 AM5/7/20
You're clueless...

A black hole marks the spot where your deity divided by zero.

This idiot talks about a black hole dividing by zero as though he were
an intelligent theiretical phycicist versed in mathematics.
This is what happens when you hit "reply" instead of "followup"... Any
idiot can call you clueless without witnesses.

Ciueless about what? Reeds have to be made of a flexible metal. no one
would make them out of zinc. They would not even vibrate. A picture was
mentioned but not available. Stop wasting time.

On 5/7/2020 8:11 AM, Juan Jiménez wrote:
> No one has ever seen it, and neither have you.
> Maybe your nomenclature is wrong. Steel can turn black if a
chemical is
> used to remove rust. Naval jelly or other chemicals containing
> phosphoric acid Will ruin the reeds. The only way to remove rust without
> ruining the reeds is by hand mechanically without any abrading of the
> plates. Acid of any kind would ruin the reed plates. The steel reeds
> would also be totally ruined by the chemical.
> In the 1940s German reed plates were zinc to save aluminum.
An acid
> might have removed the gray oxide from the zinc and turned it silver.
> The entire set of reeds on zinc plates is difficult or impossible to
> adequately restore because zinc is unstable and will oxidize over time.
> The white powdery oxide degrades the reed plate and even when it is
> removed, it seems to come back and the reed will sound bad.
> The accordion is ruined. Sorry. It was probably not
salvageable in the
> beginning if it was water damaged.
> Thanks for posting. If you have something to look at post the
picture
> elsewhere with a URL.

Ike Milligan

May 7, 2020, 10:34:30 AM5/7/20
WHen brains were being passed out to fetuses your zygote thought the
Maker said "Rain" instead of "brain" anad hid under a tree.