who's experienced buying a mouthpiece through the mail?

Mark Hamamoto

Mar 9, 2002, 12:13:17 PM3/9/02

Which store offers good prices and sends you multiple
mouthpieces through the mail. You choose which
one you like and send the rest back?

Which store does this well?

Thanks,
Mark

Rolf C. Graulich

Mar 9, 2002, 12:39:27 PM3/9/02
I did it that way, but it's Germany, and you have to pay something for
the cleaning service, I'm not sure only in case you don't buy one:
http://www.sander-saxophon.de/

Mark Hamamoto wrote:

--
Gruesse von Terra
Rolf C. Graulich

Me

Mar 9, 2002, 3:28:56 PM3/9/02

I had good luck with http://www.runyonproducts.com/ , but I knew pretty much what I wanted. They sent me a couple I wanted to compare plus another I didn't ask for just to round out the choices. They held my credit card number until I made my choice. (It took several days. I wanted 'em all.) I've had really good luck with http://www.woodwindbrasswind.com on other stuff, but I haven't tried dealing with them for mouthpieces. Both have good prices and great customer service.

Good Luck,

John

Joe Castleman

Mar 9, 2002, 4:42:11 PM3/9/02
jenr...@swbell.net wrote:

> I've had really good luck with
> http://www.woodwindbrasswind.com on
> other stuff, but I haven't tried
> dealing with them for mouthpieces.

They will send you 3 at a time for a 10 percent deposit, plus $1.00 per
mouthpiece. If you return them, they will charge you an additional
$3.00 per mpc. (I think) unless you keep one or more. There's also the
cost of shipping (and, usually, return shipping). But it's still not a
bad way to go -- you get to try them out for a couple of weeks or so, in
your own home or wherever you're used to practicing. In my experience
the local stores don't have nearly the selection (and in fact it's
become worse).

Actually you can also just order the mouthpieces outright, e.g. via the
website, and pay up front, then return the ones you don't want and get a
refund (minus the shipping and trial fees). This way you could also
order more than 3 at a time.

It might be worth mentioning www.music123.com -- they DON'T have a trial
policy, but if you already know what you want, they should beat anyone
else's prices. I inquired about a metal Smoothbore and they quoted me a
price $10 lower than Woodwind/Brasswind (who had it on sale to begin
with). However I'm still waiting to see if it's even in stock...

A couple of more who will send out mpcs. on a trial basis:
www.intlmusicalsuppliers.com has good prices, but I've heard several
tales of them being out-of-stock on many items (I for one didn't hear
anything from them after sending a couple of e-mails). Someone else
mentioned good things about http://www.weinermusic.com but, as with the
other company, I haven't heard anthing back from them concerning
available inventory.

--Joe C

----
Joe Castleman
gyrofr...@gyrofrog.com (Use this address to reply; remove "OMIT")
Gyrofrog Communications -- http://www.gyrofrog.com
Austin, Texas U.S.A.

Al

Mar 11, 2002, 7:57:24 AM3/11/02
Mark Hamamoto <mark...@earthlink.net> wrote in message news:<3C8A4231...@earthlink.net>...
> :

> Which store offers good prices and sends you multiple
> mouthpieces through the mail. You choose which
> one you like and send the rest back?
> :

In the UK, Howarths of London do this.
Al.

Jive Dadson

Mar 11, 2002, 2:56:28 PM3/11/02

The Woodwinds and Brasswinds will send up to three without charging your
card. Or you can put any reasonable number on a credit card and return
the ones you don't want. If you buy one, there's no re-stocking fee. I
forget the exact details.

Jive