Winton Baby Grand

Scott E. Van Hart

Oct 20, 2002, 6:11:27 PM10/20/02
I've got the opportuniuty to have a Winton Baby Grand for free. The only
cost would be to move it. The piano is vintage 1930's, in very good shape,
would need a good tuning once delivered. I have no idea what moving it
would cost - a distance of close 100 miles. Also, I have no idea of the
quality of a Winton.

Can anyone advise on either moving costs or on Winton?

Thanks much,

Scott

scot...@starband.net

Rick Clark

Oct 20, 2002, 6:46:18 PM10/20/02
If it's "in very good shape" it's worth it. But the question is, is it
really "in very good shape"? Has the pinblock been checked? The action
centers? The hammers, knuckles, bridges, etc? I've never seen a free
piano that just needed tuning.

Regards,

Rick Clark

Scott E. Van Hart

Oct 20, 2002, 7:07:31 PM10/20/02
the owner is a relative
"Rick Clark" <pianodoctor@mindspr*ng.com> wrote in message

Scott E. Van Hart

Oct 20, 2002, 7:08:42 PM10/20/02
Is Winton a good quality Piano?

H. Emmerson Meyers

Oct 20, 2002, 10:45:48 PM10/20/02
Are you sure that it is not a Winter Baby Grand?? I have never heard of a
Winton Baby Grand. Do you have any idea who made Winton pianos?
"Scott E. Van Hart" <scot...@starband.net> wrote in message

Scott E. Van Hart

Oct 20, 2002, 8:17:02 PM10/20/02
Its made by Baldwin. I checked Baldwin's website today and winton is a
Piano they make
"H. Emmerson Meyers" <willia...@starpower.net> wrote in message

Larry

Oct 20, 2002, 8:45:51 PM10/20/02
>From: "Scott E. Van Hart" scot...@starband.net

>Its made by Baldwin. I checked Baldwin's website today and winton is a
>Piano they make

It's a piano they *made*. Winton was their bottom of the barrel price leader
years ago. At 70-80 years old, the odds that all it needs is tuning is slim.
Even top of the line pianos are showing wear and weaknesses at this age, and
this wasn't a quality piano to start with.

Larry Fletcher
Dealer/technician

Doing the work of three men.....Larry, Curly, & Moe
http://www.pianosinc.net

Scott E. Van Hart

Oct 20, 2002, 8:49:47 PM10/20/02
Larry, Thanks

What would be the most you'd spend on it.
"Larry" <larryin...@aol.composer> wrote in message

pTooner

Oct 21, 2002, 11:13:35 AM10/21/02
Actually, it was a name they used for their low end models up until
1940. They also used Howard both before during and after. I think they
still use the HOward name on a Samick import. (It was once made by
Kawai also)

Gerry

Brian

Oct 22, 2002, 2:08:19 AM10/22/02
check out piano movers for the cost, search engines show several..

Bri

Scott E. Van Hart

Oct 23, 2002, 6:37:57 AM10/23/02
One other note I'd like to make is - I'm looking at this as a piece of
furniture with potential that my 10 year old daughter will begin to play the
Piano. My family currently doesn't play the Piano and I thought for a
minimal amount I might be able to fill a empty spot in the living room and
hear a piano in the family room. Between moving and getting it "overhauled"
would I be crazy to spend 2 grand?

Larry

Oct 23, 2002, 11:02:32 AM10/23/02
>From: "Scott E. Van Hart"

>Between moving and getting it "overhauled"

>would I be crazy to spend 2 grand?

You can't get it rebuilt for anywhere close to 2 grand. Anyone who tells you
they can is only trying to lift 2 grand of your money.

You must decide whether you want a piece of furniture, or a piano for your
daughter. Or be willing to spend more money. I wouldn't recommend that money be
spent restoring a Winton baby grand.

Linda Pimentel

Jun 29, 2022, 10:09:05 PM6/29/22

Linda Pimentel