What to use to clean the exterior of a black piano?

STEVE KRUGER

Jul 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/6/99
I agree with Bob,no harsh chemicals.i usually use a diaper,barely moist,to
take off the dust,then buff with a dry one to finish.Also in the case of
poly finishes,even after 20 years and they look like a skating rink,there
is enough depth to the finish that they can be brought up to a new looking
appearance.

r.sh...@cwix.com wrote:

> Soft rag, clean, spray some water on the rag and wipe. Make sure it's
> damp not soaking. Tough spots, spray some cleaner like windex or glass
> plus but without the ammonia on the rag and wipe. There are sprays and
> similar items for sale that are used to clean that polyester surface.
> Don't use endust or waxes. They really are almost impossible to remove
> and they really just smear.
>
> --
> Bob Shapiro - - Formerly of Atlanta, now of S Florida.
> Retail salesperson currently selling Kawai, Petrof,
> Samick, Technics, Kohler & Campbell and recently in Atlanta
> selling Bosendorfer, Schimmel, Yamaha, Roland Hammond
> in addition to those brands and prior to that years selling
> the Baldwin product line, Steinway and other new lines
> and just about all used. With years of experience in
> armory and college sales.
> For the answers to many of your questions please see
> http://www.thepianosource.com

Jan Nijhuis

Jul 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/6/99
Most pianos are finished in polyester nowadays. There really is no need to use
anything but a dust cloth. For fingerprints, you may need to dampen the cloth
just slightly. I wouldn't use any type of cleaner on it. Also, don't use
"furniture polish" or anything with oil in it.

--
Jan Nijhuis
nij...@ZZZemail.com

Jory Olson

Jul 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/6/99
>Tom wrote:
>
>> I have a new piano with a black finish piano. What is good to use to
clean
>> the exterior? I heard Windex was good - but not sure if if the Windex
with
>> amonia or vinegar help, hurt, or doesn't make a difference.
>>
>> Any advice?

Depends on the finish material. If it's lacquer as used on most Baldwin,
Mason and Hamlin, and NY Steinways, I wouldn't know.

If it's a polyester finish like on most Asian, European (including Hamburg
Steinways), then I recommend Novus #1 plastic cleaner. It takes off the
dust and static. My piano quit attracting every spec of lint in the room
when I switched to Novus. I get it at Tap Plastics.

I tried Cory High Gloss Polish, and the Yamaha product. Both left a residue
that made the dust stick.

Jory
--
Remove "NOSPAM" from address to reply
There's a special level of purgatory for spammers!

Tom

Jul 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/7/99

IBruton

Jul 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/7/99
I was told by my yamaha dealer that you get the cleaner which doesn't have
ammonia. But, personally, I find a dust rag and a damp cloth occassionally
does just as good a job.

Isaac B.
Raleigh/Durham
aka "The Research Triangle"
proudly supporting anyone who owns or is looking for the finest piano in the
world. YAMAHA!

r.sh...@cwix.com

Jul 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/7/99

Chuck Van

Jul 8, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/8/99
For high-polished polyester finish, I use a large car-type duster to lift
off dust without moving it around and without producing fine scratches. The
chemical used in these dusters to attract dust didn't affect the gloss of my
piano at all, even after 15 years of daily use. With this large duster, you
can dust a large grand in about 20 seconds. For cleaning high-polish finish
(dirt or fingerprints), I use a damp sponge, followed by a clean and
slightly damp chamois to prevent water spots. For heavier dirt, I use a
damp sponge with a few drops of mild liquid soap, followed by multiple clean
water rinses with a sponge until all soap residue is eliminated. I then use
a clean and slightly damp chamois to prevent water spots. In all cases, use
only enough pressure to clean the finish, so as to prevent marking or
dulling of the finish.

For dust on polyester satin finish, I use the car duster mentioned above.
For dirt and fingerprints, I use special spray cleaner intended to remove
dirt and fingerprints from satin finishes. Ask your piano dealer or consult
manufacturer for a recommended product. Always apply cleaner in the
direction of the "grain" of the satin finish. Never use furniture polish or
any other type of polish on a satin finish, since regular use will
eventually add undesired and uneven gloss.

Finally, I use clean cotton gloves or a cloth (handkerchief, washcloth,
etc.) to open and close the lid and fallboard. This eliminates the need to
remove fingerprints. However, if you have kids running around, all bets are
off.

Regards,
Chuck Van

Tom <tfk...@gte.NOSPAM.net> wrote in message