Anyone have/used a Yamaha PF500?

Victor Vuong

Nov 20, 2003, 4:07:18 AM11/20/03
I've been looking at getting a digital piano and it was originally
going to be a YDP223, and I've noticed that people are talking about
how the Yamah P250 has a better feel than the YDP223 so I started
looking into that. The only thing is I really like having the pedals
attached to the unit and having the 3 pedals since I come from such a
classical background, also I had troubles with a non attached pedal
just moving around. Maybe I had a bad pedal or something.

Anyhow, I noticed that yamaha makes a PF500, which they say is
basically the P250 but with a stand/pedals. It's $500 more than the
YDP223.

Does anyone have any experience with the PF500, and know how good it
is? And if it's worth the $500 more.

Thanks,
Victor

foo

Nov 20, 2003, 8:41:40 AM11/20/03

I work for a Yamaha dealer; here's how it all lays out:

The YDP223 is identical to a CLP120 Clavinova.
The P250 is the same as a CLP150, but in a portable.
The PF500 is roughly the same as a CVP201 Clavinova, with some minor
front panel and cosmetic differences.
They all have the so-called Graded Hammer action; they are supposed to
all feel the same.

The YDP's and PF's are generally sold through what Yamaha calls "combo
shops," meaing, guitar/PA/drum stores. The Clavinovas are sold
through piano dealers.

Honestly, the YDPs and PFs are more economical, for the same
instrument.

Frank Skov Jensen

Nov 20, 2003, 3:56:53 PM11/20/03
Hi
I just tried one today, the stand is bit loose, so I think that I will buy a
CLP150 instead.
Anyway the sound in PF500 and the CLP 150 are similar, both great and the
best I have heard so far.

By the way, in germany the PF 500 is on sale now for 1299 euro, around
1000euro under the normal price.
Anyway ill go for the CLP150

regards
frank

"Victor Vuong" <ep...@dork.com> skrev i en meddelelse

Jakob Frandsen

Nov 21, 2003, 5:38:18 AM11/21/03
Hej,

> I just tried one today, the stand is bit loose, so I think that I will buy a
> CLP150 instead.

> ..snip..

> Anyway ill go for the CLP150

Have you tried the CLP-170? The price difference is often low and
there's a huge difference between the two pianos.

(in Danish: jeg købte mit CLP-170 i Aage Jensen og de sælger dem nu
til 23000).

Regards,
Jakob Frandsen

Art Vega

Nov 21, 2003, 3:27:26 PM11/21/03
I'm also considering the pf500, but I have not tried the
CLP-170. I like the quality of sound and feeling of the pf500,
except perhaps for the speaker system it comes with it.
Besides the electronics, I'm sure the CLP-170 has the space for
better speakers, specially for the bass sounds.

I agree that the frame is not sturdy, that would be another
drawback for the pf500

The prices here in the local dealers in Dallas are about $2150
for the pf500 and about $3600 for the CLP-170 (including tax.)

If you have tried both please post comments on the main differences
regarding the sound quality and feeling. Is it worth the extra
$1400?

Regards,
Art.

sd...@jd.com

Nov 21, 2003, 5:20:50 PM11/21/03
I got my P250 from Sweetwater for $1830 plus S+H. They threw in a free
bench and a Yamaha LP-3 stand (like a $150 value, sturdy as hell!). I
did have to nag at them to get this free stuff, though. The p250
already comes with a pedal and music stand. I highly reccomend it . It
is the least bulky of the "all-in-one" digital pianos. Plus it has a
built-in 16 track sequencer , which is great for recording musical
ideas before they escape from memory. The action is faster (not
lighter, just faster) and more realistic than the YDP223, but the YDP
will still be adequate for most of your needs. The reason the p250 has
a faster key return (like a real piano) is because it is made for
people who gig. Many people who gig know how to "jam" and that means
fast runs, arpeggios, etc. It's kind of hard to do that on a sluggish
keyboard. It really pays to pay the extra couple hundred for the P250.
It's piano sound is the best. Trust me, you won't be disappointed. It
also holds its value well. It's predecessor, the P200, came out over 5
years ago and it still goes for upwards of $1200 on eBay.

-Qloud

In article <d0ab4917.03112...@posting.google.com>, Victor

Victor Vuong

Nov 21, 2003, 9:53:51 PM11/21/03
So basically it has come down to the P250 vs the PF500. I can get the
P250 + Stand for the same price as the PF500. Looking online I've
seen deals for the P250 + Stand + Bench + Headphones for $2000, same
with the PF500. The only thing left is which one to choose, and
what's the differences to these very similar keyboards. I'm going to
head out tomorrow to different piano stores and hope that they have
those in stock ::crosses fingers:: If anyone has compared the
P250/PF500, let me know. Thanks.

-Victor

Michael

Nov 22, 2003, 12:02:20 AM11/22/03

It's probably a purely subjective decision. Which ever one you like the
best. It sounds a lot of money to spend if you don't know though :o)

Google groups will probably have a lot of opinions posted already.

There's not much discussion about the PF500 from what I recall - for
that reason alone a gut feeling says that the P250 might have a bigger
market if you sell it at some stage.

I'd personally listen / play the P120, and other makes too.

It seems largely subjective, and if you like the P120 [or something else
competing with it] it's probably not worth spending more.

If I'd had your budget there's no way I'd have bought the P250 without
trying the Kawai MP9500 [that might be a bit higher priced though], Korg
SP500, Roland RD700 as well.

Another question about the PF500 you might want to ask - at least one
online retailer here in the UK sold off all their PF500's v cheap a
while back and, when I asked said they couldn't get anymore from Yamaha
- if that was true, if they are phasing it out, I'd look out for
bargains. But they might have meant they wouldn't get any more - to try
and get me to buy something else, so I'm not sure and the PF500 doesn't
appear to have gone from Yamaha's site like the CLP110 did when it was
replaced.

I can't really help with the models. I got a P60s, the cheapest thing I
could find that still met a lot of google group searching for opinions
on which are the good makes, good actions etc - and then listened to it
through headphones, compared it with a few other models roland / korg
etc. But I don't have much experience playing, and a low budget as well.

It's actually better than I expected.

Like you, as you hinted in your first post, I also was only interested
in the piano, nothing else, not 500 extra sounds, tune recorders,
graphic demodulators or frangle synthesis.

The products that, as you increase in price get more like pianos, don't
seem to exist - at least, it seems the more money you spend, the more
pointless junk features / extra sounds etc are added for small
incremental improvements to the actual piano bits. So yeah, I'm sure a
CLP170 is a lot better, but not proportionally to the price you pay, imho.

I figured the money, even if I'd had it, would be better saved to buy a
real piano or when they finally have something that costs n times as
much for an n times better piano and nothing else.

Which makes me understand why people love the p80/p90. If you want it
loud, you get the amp / speakers etc probably for less and better than
on the furniture models. If you don't, you get the headphones. Or more
likely both. For a compromise, the speakers in the P60 aren't as bad as
I expected, others seem to think so with the P120 too - although it's
probably not surprising those that have had a diet of live grand pianos
for years will notice the shortcomings.

Maybe your gigging musician cares a bit more, in the same way that
someone else might care about having something furniture-like just for
asthetics [although my romantic idea of what a piano is, is a long way
from what your average wooden digital piano looks like]

--
Michael.

Frank Skov Jensen

Nov 22, 2003, 5:23:57 AM11/22/03
Hej Jakob
jeg har prøvet både CLP 150 og CLP170 jeg syntes nu ikke der er den store
forskel.
Jeg har fået et tilbud om at købe et CLP150 til 14.400 igennem Emk Prof
musik, og det tror jeg jeg tager

mvh Frank