Yamaha M450 TC

Randall Steinhoff

Jun 2, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/2/97

I'm close to making a decision on buying a Yamaha M450 TC upright for my
daughter (3rd year student). She's tried a Baldwin Hamilton, Kawai UST-8c,
a Kimble (don't remember the model), but she fell in love with the key
response and sound of the Yamaha M450 TC.

I've gotten firm prices on the above-mentioned Baldwin and Kawai, both
right about $4,000 with delivery and in home tuning included (we live 70
miles from the stores). I got a firm price of $3,315 on the Yamaha, plus
$135 delivery (this store is 100 miles away), and pre-delivery in-shop but
no in-home tuning.

The dealer with the Yamaha says its a brand new model and doesn't have
literature yet. The piano does sound significantly better than any of the
other we've tried so far, and I'm satisfied with the price. But is it a
good instrument?

Do any of you have information on this model Yamaha? What is your
recommendation?

Thanks for your help.

Randall Steinhoff
Alamogordo, New Mexico (USA)

DZappa

Jun 4, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/4/97

In article <01bc6f1f$ef731fe0$0d2942cf@ranstein>, "Randall Steinhoff"
<rans...@zianet.com> writes:

>The dealer with the Yamaha says its a brand new model and doesn't have
>literature yet. The piano does sound significantly better than any of
the
>other we've tried so far, and I'm satisfied with the price. But is it a
>good instrument?

This is a brand new model that Yamaha introduced at the NAMM show in
Janurary. I was at the plant where they are produced 2 weeks ago, and
they are built just like every other Yamaha piano. The difference between
a M500 and M450 is mostly cabinet (the back is a little lighter duty - 4
backposts instead of 5) and price.

>Do any of you have information on this model Yamaha? What is your
>recommendation?

I doubt any dealers will have specs and so forth due to the newness of the
model. If you like the sound of it the best then by all means buy it, its
a very well built piano (certainly better than a Kimball and a better deal
than a Baldwin or Kawai for $700 more). BTW: Yamaha offers a "Service
Bond Assurance" program that will pay your dealer to tune it in your home
after 3 or 4 months, don't let this dealer back out of that program on
your piano just because he's 100 miles away. If he's a good dealer he can
find a closer tech to perform the ServiceBond check and tuning.

Good Luck!
Dave

gfds

Jun 5, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/5/97

> Do any of you have information on this model Yamaha? What is your
> recommendation?
>
> Thanks for your help.
>
> Randall Steinhoff
> Alamogordo, New Mexico (USA)

In my opinion, Yammys are great! Heck, I've had three and they've all been
more than satisfactory for me. And besides, go for the one that your
daughter wants as she will be the primary player.

Frank Fang

Jun 5, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/5/97

Randall Steinhoff wrote:

> I'm close to making a decision on buying a Yamaha M450 TC upright for my
> daughter (3rd year student). She's tried a Baldwin Hamilton, Kawai UST-8c,
> a Kimble (don't remember the model), but she fell in love with the key
> response and sound of the Yamaha M450 TC.
>
> I've gotten firm prices on the above-mentioned Baldwin and Kawai, both
> right about $4,000 with delivery and in home tuning included (we live 70
> miles from the stores). I got a firm price of $3,315 on the Yamaha, plus
> $135 delivery (this store is 100 miles away), and pre-delivery in-shop but
> no in-home tuning.
>
> The dealer with the Yamaha says its a brand new model and doesn't have
> literature yet. The piano does sound significantly better than any of the
> other we've tried so far, and I'm satisfied with the price. But is it a
> good instrument?
>
> Do any of you have information on this model Yamaha? What is your
> recommendation?
>
> Thanks for your help.
>
> Randall Steinhoff
> Alamogordo, New Mexico (USA)

It is a old model. New model is on "M500" now. Also I got a price for
a M500s is $2650 (1.5 year old) with manuals.

Frank Fang from Indianapolis

Panther Man

Jun 6, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/6/97

Frank Fang <ff...@indyvax.iupui.edu> wrote in article
<33971B...@indyvax.iupui.edu>...

> It is a old model. New model is on "M500" now. Also I got a price for
> a M500s is $2650 (1.5 year old) with manuals.
>
> Frank Fang from Indianapolis

Uh, Frank....sorry to burst your bubble, but the M450 is a NEW model that
was just introduced at the NAMM show this year. You may be thinking of the
M300/400 series that was in the line before the M500's came out, but the
M450 is definitely new.

PM

Panther Man

Jun 6, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/6/97

Randall Steinhoff <rans...@zianet.com> wrote in article
<01bc6f1f$ef731fe0$0d2942cf@ranstein>...

> I'm close to making a decision on buying a Yamaha M450 TC upright for my
> daughter (3rd year student). She's tried a Baldwin Hamilton, Kawai
UST-8c,
> a Kimble (don't remember the model), but she fell in love with the key
> response and sound of the Yamaha M450 TC.
>
> I've gotten firm prices on the above-mentioned Baldwin and Kawai, both
> right about $4,000 with delivery and in home tuning included (we live 70
> miles from the stores). I got a firm price of $3,315 on the Yamaha, plus
> $135 delivery (this store is 100 miles away), and pre-delivery in-shop
but
> no in-home tuning.
>
> The dealer with the Yamaha says its a brand new model and doesn't have
> literature yet. The piano does sound significantly better than any of
the
> other we've tried so far, and I'm satisfied with the price. But is it a
> good instrument?
>
> Do any of you have information on this model Yamaha? What is your
> recommendation?
>
> Thanks for your help.
>
> Randall Steinhoff
> Alamogordo, New Mexico (USA)

I haven't seen the piano, nor have I seen any pricing info on it, but from
what I've heard, it will be a good buy for you. I have yet to see a Yamaha
piano that hasn't been good, and if you are satisfied with the price, go
for it!

One thing, though, make sure the dealer honors the Yamaha Service Bond
Agreement, which provides for a tuning in the house after delivery. It's
not costing him anything, so I can't imagine why he wouldn't honor it.

Good luck!

PM

DZappa

Jun 7, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/7/97

In article <33971B...@indyvax.iupui.edu>, Frank Fang
<ff...@indyvax.iupui.edu> writes:

>It is a old model. New model is on "M500" now. Also I got a price for
>a M500s is $2650 (1.5 year old) with manuals.
>
>Frank Fang from Indianapolis

Frank:

WRONG! The M450 TC is a BRAND NEW model introduced at the 1997 Winter
NAMM show in Anaheim. I was at the factory last month and they are
producing them in droves....
Did you buy the M500? Was it used by a local person or was it a
loaner/rental from the dealer? Just curious because the price seems awful
low...

Dave