Opinions on Yamaha GH1

Dale Ah Tye

Sep 5, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/5/95
I am looking into buying a baby grand.
I am not an accomplished pianist, but like to
play and like to listen to piano music.

I am looking at the Yamaha GH1 (with the
DiskLavier option since I really don't
want to have to play All the time).

The saleman says that this is last year's
model (actually it is a DGH1BII, 5'3" with
center pedal as the bass sustain rather than
Sostenuto). He also showed me the Yamaha C1
(at about $19,500 with Disklavier) and said
that the C1 is almost the same as the GH1
except that for some cosmetic differences
(color of plate and beveled top edge of
cabinet).
He is offering me the DGH1 for clearance price
of $15,600.

I would like any opinions on either piano
related to their durability, manufacturing
and sound quality and the price that the
saleman quoted me.

He said that the Disklavier adds about $7,000
to the price of the grand itself.

OR, in the under $20,000 price range, what would
be the best choice for a grand with either the
Disklavier (Yamaha) or the Pianomation or Diskpiano
(on other makes).

I know that I should go look at Larry Fine's
book, but haven't gotten around to it yet.

Thanks for any input you can give me.

You can either email me directly at:
ah...@sgi.com

or post here for all to see.

Thanks....

-Dale

--
Dale Ah Tye

Nelson Hinman

Sep 11, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/11/95

Some thoughts on DGH1. and C1 and DG1.

Yamaha had a series of instruments called GH#. The H stood for home.
The G1 was an instrument with full sostenuto, a heavier plate and a few
other differences. Since you are thinking of putting the instrument in a
home, my thinking would be to lean toward GH1.

C1 C standing for ahem conservatory used to begin with a 6-foot
instrument called G3 that was also 6-feet. Yamaha has not been able to
clarify this mystery. HARK!

Solution: We'll call 'em all c (something er other) That began this
year. They have also dropped the letter designator that tended to go
along along with significant (from their point of view) changes. This
practice wound up confusing many dealers and certainly did not assist
customers.

I realize that I am going sort of around your question whether tis nobler
to GH ro C?

I will in return ask you whether you prefer the sound of one over the
other? If you were to say, nnn? maybe no/yes kinda sorta. But the GH in
that case.

Pricing is going to vvary from place to place.

Beware of the lowest price syndrome:
In the worst case of this, and I am aware of it actually happening, that
the dealer sold the piano for a low price, but there was little if any
preparation of the instrument. If it were just an acoustic instrument
without the disclavier, while this is my view would be a shabby business
parctice, you did want the lowest price. IN the case of the disclavier
the player mechanism needs calibration. Hopefully the dealer you've
chosen has technicians Yamaha trained to do that. This is *not*
something you can just learn by the seat of your pants. That is
something I would insist on knowing. Now, what about proof. YOu can say
anything you want; that does not make it reality

You're probably not going to hurt the player mechanism by not by not
calibrating i, but the performances will definitely suffer, and the
instrument can become rather noist n a mechanical sense.

Incidentally, there are well over 300 discs available, and that number
grows constantly, and there are a number of independent organizations
producing discs

The disclavier is a really neat thing. I'd love to have one, but I'd not
subject a piano to the massive temperature shifts in this little house.

I rather suspect that you will enjoy the instrument a great deal.

Nelson

Dale Ah Tye

Sep 12, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/12/95
nhi...@netcom.com (Nelson Hinman) wrote:

....stuff deleted....

>I will in return ask you whether you prefer the sound of one over the
>other? If you were to say, nnn? maybe no/yes kinda sorta. But the GH in
>that case.

Actually, I decided on the DC3 (a 6'1" Yamaha C3
with the Disklavier built in).

One store quoted $23k and another store was able
to beat that price. This is interesting since
the first store listed the retail price at about
$39k (and the sale price at about $28k).

So, this is evidence that the Yamaha piano market
is a bit soft and the dealers would like to move
the pianos as quickly as possible (by lowering
the price significantly during negotiations).
Of course, they could have raised the MSRP
artificially to look like I was getting a good
deal.

Also, apparently, the Disklavier adds about $7k
to the price of a regular Yamaha grand.

Does this sound like a fair price?

Charles Gaunt

Sep 12, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/12/95
Sounds like a fair price. Recently purchased a C3 satin ebony for $15,
700.
Excellent Piano!!!!!!!!

Lori Vratsanos

Sep 13, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/13/95
Dale Ah Tye (ah...@pixel.esd.sgi.com) wrote:
: I am looking into buying a baby grand.

: I am not an accomplished pianist, but like to
: play and like to listen to piano music.

: I am looking at the Yamaha GH1 (with the
: DiskLavier option since I really don't
: want to have to play All the time).

Dale:

We bought a G1 several years ago (probably 1990), without the disclavier,
for about $8500. I don't recall how much of a price difference there was
between the GH and the G. I do recall there was, to me, a BIG difference
between the 2 instruments. The GH had a rather mushy touch. THe G felt
really nicely balanced, plus had the true sostenuto. I don't remember
how much difference there was in sound.

I am very happy with the piano. I don't think you will regret your
choice, whichever you go with. You may want to check that you get a
Yamaha trained technician to do your tuning/voicing. Our guy did some
pretty extensive work (covered in the price) to tone down the overly
bright top octave.

We also had an interesting experience, getting a satin black piano with
glossy black legs....took a while, but we finally did get matching ones.
Something about it being one of the first of a new model.... It pays to
take a good hard look when it's set up.

Lori
Lori Vratsanos Opinions are my own, not my employer's.
vrat...@ttown.apci.com