1905 King upright grand piano

Chris Bidwell

Jun 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/24/99
I picked up a 94 year old King piano at a moving sale last weekend.
I am getting it tuned next week and was wondering if anyone knew
of any sites where I can find more information about this instrument?

I need to decide how much more money to sink into it if the tuner says
that it needs some work. To me (not a piano expert) it looks fine and plays
OK except for some out of tune keys.

-Chris

Al Cortot

Jun 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/26/99
Sorry, but your piano is a piece of junk. I would be very surprised if it
would even hold a tuning.

kam...@flash.net

Jun 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/26/99
Al Cortot wrote:

> Sorry, but your piano is a piece of junk. I would be very surprised if it
> would even hold a tuning.
> Chris Bidwell wrote in message <7kv03u$kdq$1...@news1.rmi.net>...

> >..T.o me (not a piano expert) it looks fine and plays

> >OK except for some out of tune keys.

Junk? Hardly. By Chris's own words, if those out of tune keys tune up and
hold, it appears he's got a piano that will do you just fine for now.
--
Keith McGavern
kam...@flash.net

Jean Lully

Jun 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/26/99
This is indeed a rare vintage instrument. In its day, King was
considered the rival of Steinway (which incidentally lost the Strauch Bros
award to King in 1893) by piano connoisseurs. Do not underestimate the
value of this very rare and exciting instrument and do not allow your
technician to use anything but genuine King parts. I WOULD NOT ACCEPT ONE
CENT LESS THEN $25,000 FOR YOUR KING.

Chris Bidwell wrote in message <7kv03u$kdq$1...@news1.rmi.net>...

>I picked up a 94 year old King piano at a moving sale last weekend.
>I am getting it tuned next week and was wondering if anyone knew
>of any sites where I can find more information about this instrument?
>
>I need to decide how much more money to sink into it if the tuner says

>that it needs some work. To me (not a piano expert) it looks fine and plays

>OK except for some out of tune keys.
>

>-Chris

MidiOpera Co.

Jun 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/26/99
Al Cortot <Pader...@gte.net> wrote:
Jean Lully <Gesu...@gte.net> wrote:

Looks like Alfred Cortot and Jean Baptiste Lully have been resurected.

Do you guys have a web site too???

--
Joe Green
MidiOpera Co.

Tempola Music Rolls

Jun 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/27/99
Geez.Al

you must be a hell of a piano tech.......if you can pronounce a piano "junk"
over the Internet.

Buddy, I know your type. If things just don't fall in place, You just don't
fool with it do you?
I know piano dealers who have a habit of phoo-phooing uprights . Some are
junk, many are not, but piano dealers destroy them anyway, often gutting
valuable player-pianos and just selling them as "practice pianos"

either that, or cutting them down to look smaller, and putting a stupid
mirror in front of the pin-plank..RUINING the case forever.

Until a quality upright is offered at a reasonable price, I would rather
have a rebuilt old piano, and I am a professional musician and player roll
arranger.. Just because the owner doesn't have a ready $10.000 for
something new that is far worse tone-wise, doesn't mean the King upright can
not still give years of service,

Let's say it won't hold a tuning........chances are the pinblock is not bad,
it is probable that the piano could be restrung with oversize pins, and any
cracks in the soundboard repaired. Does that mean the unit should be thrown
out? probably not.

Your type of arrogance it why this industry is on the ropes. It is easier to
take the path of least resistance, and peddle the Korean-Japan made junk,
which side by side, the old upright being in good shape, will blow it right
out of the water tone wise.

Do you think this piano owner would ever contract a repair job with you? I
don't think so. Your like most piano dealers in this country, who is
completely out of touch with the public. Any serious pianist would not
consider the junky spinet that some of you have the nerve to ask $7000+ for,
while your at the same time throwing out better made pianos every day. Some
people are content to have an old upright, and piano techs should do what
they can to keep these old pianos serviceable. Isn't that why we are in
business?

Or do we only cater to the well-to-do anymore?
No , I would not say the old King piano is a piece of junk...........your
attitude is. Anyone with no patience dosen't belong working on pianos.
Andy

Al Cortot wrote in message ...

>Sorry, but your piano is a piece of junk. I would be very surprised if it
>would even hold a tuning.

Jan Nijhuis

Jun 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/27/99
This post reads like you've made a big assumption: That Al is a Tuner, Tech, or
Sales Rep. -- I think he might be a budding English major :-) At any rate, I
think most of us have gotten to the point of ignoring ignorant posts.

There is a lot of "Junk" out there on the market both new and used, and quite
probably many older uprights are scrapped instead of brought up to good playing
condition because they don't have name recognition. That's sad. At the same
time, there's probably a lot of "junk" with a name on the fallboard that is made
playable and sold for many times its real worth. That's criminal.

Tempola Music Rolls wrote:

--
Jan Nijhuis
nij...@ZZZemail.com

Kenny

Jun 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/28/99
Hey Lully/Cortot ...

You are evidently such a fabulous judge of pianos that I have decided
to allow you to purchase my turn-of-the-century Packard walnut 5'3"
grand for half price ... that is, only $12,500.00!! Think of the profit you
will make!!

If Chris Bidwell wants it, one kilobuck, pick it up in Cincinnati.

KP

Jean Lully wrote in message ...

>This is indeed a rare vintage instrument. In its day, King was
>considered the rival of Steinway (which incidentally lost the Strauch Bros
>award to King in 1893) by piano connoisseurs. Do not underestimate the
>value of this very rare and exciting instrument and do not allow your
>technician to use anything but genuine King parts. I WOULD NOT ACCEPT ONE
>CENT LESS THEN $25,000 FOR YOUR KING.

rndma...@gmail.com

Dec 10, 2017, 2:01:26 PM12/10/17
I have a 1910 model ,serial number 41288 i would like to sell

J.B. Wood

Dec 11, 2017, 1:27:03 PM12/11/17
On 12/10/2017 02:01 PM, rndma...@gmail.com wrote:
> I have a 1910 model ,serial number 41288 i would like to sell

Hello, and for an upright piano from that era, I suspect you'll probably
have to pay someone to dispose of it. Sorry, but except in rare
instances decades old pianos generally aren't worth much and it's often
way too costly to put them back in decent playing condition, especially
when kept around for decades as decorative furniture only. Sincerely,
--
J. B. Wood e-mail: arl_1...@hotmail.com

dougbr...@gmail.com

Jun 11, 2020, 3:13:00 PM6/11/20
If it's made out of mahogeny it's a jem don't lisson to fools that wood alone is priceless