Carlos Vega R.I.P.

SCARAB

Apr 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/9/98

Carlos Vega shot himself the other day. The word is he had a secret drug
addiction that his family or anyone new about. I'm very sad over this.
Mike

Pat McDonald

Apr 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/9/98

SCARAB wrote:

WHAT!!???? It's April 9th so I KNOW this isn't some April Fool's
joke. Seriously?? I hope it isn't true. Tell me it's not.
--
XxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxX

"There's a fine line between stupid and clever." --- David St. Hubbins

XxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxX

Big N.S.

Apr 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/9/98

SCARAB wrote:

> Carlos Vega shot himself the other day. The word is he had a secret drug
> addiction

Probally, cocaine the drug that killed his friend Jeff Pocaro.

For those interested in Carlos's work, he did some cool stuff with
Stanley Clark on East River Drive, and also played with James Taylor
along side Flim Johnson on bass. This is by know means supposed to be a
complete listing, just some recommendations for those that do not know
who he is.

--
Thanks,

Mark Spielberg @ <http://www.netassoc.net/spielbergaudio/>

Pember1

Apr 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/10/98

Explain who is Carlos Vega, and what type music did he play, who did he play
with, etc...

Blair

SCARAB

Apr 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/10/98

Sorry my news is true about Carlos. Call Paiste and Paul will give the
details. To those who don't know who Carlos Vega was, he was a serious L.A.
session drummer and play on tons of albums. You should call Modern Drummer
and order the issue with him on the cover. Then go buy some recomended
albums with him drumming because he had a very soild and fluid groove and
he was very tasteful in his playing. See ya, Mike

Pember1 <pem...@aol.com> wrote in article
<199804100321...@ladder01.news.aol.com>...

Richard Bell

Apr 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/10/98

Pember1 wrote:

> Explain who is Carlos Vega, and what type music did he play, who did
> he play
> with, etc...
>
> Blair

Carlos Vega was the session and tour drummer for James Taylor for the
last ten years or so. Among many others.
You can hear Carlos play on the Grammy award winning James Taylor CD
"Hourglass"

I can't believe this.
First Jeff Porcaro now Carlos who's next.
My God I'm in shock.

To e-mail me directly remove the "HATESPAM" from my e-mail
address.
Richard Bell
rich...@gpu.srv.ualberta.ca

Pat McDonald

Apr 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/10/98

Big N.S. wrote:

> SCARAB wrote:
> >
> > Carlos Vega shot himself the other day. The word is he had a secret drug
> > addiction
>

> For those interested in Carlos's work, he did some cool stuff with
> Stanley Clark on East River Drive, and also played with James Taylor
> along side Flim Johnson on bass. This is by know means supposed to be a
> complete listing, just some recommendations for those that do not know
> who he is.
>

> He was the drummer on the first tune on the Jeff Porcaro tribute CD. He
> was a very similar player to Jeff and very well respected in the L.A. the
> session scene. One of my favorite records he did was one called "GRP
> Live In Session" with Dave Grusin, Lee Ritenour, Abe Laboriel, and Dianne
> Schuur among others. It was a live recording taped in a studio with a live
> audience and he played some really nice stuff on it. I had never heard of
> him before I saw a video on TV one night and went out and found the CD the
> next day. I'm really bummed. Sometimes you have to wonder what makes
> people with so much natural talent do stupid things. I just can't see how
> things could ever be THAT bad. I guess we'll never know

Neil Grover

Apr 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/10/98

SCARAB wrote:

> Carlos Vega shot himself the other day. The word is he had a secret drug
> addiction that his family or anyone new about. I'm very sad over this.
> Mike

I am saddened by this news....Carlos Vega was one of my favorite
drummers. I had the pleasure of working with him once on a James Taylor
concert at the Fleet Center in Boston. He was a very nice guy and a
great musician.

Neil Grover

Russell m. Gellman

Apr 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/10/98

Now that we're mentioning Jeff Porcaro, can anyone give me an OFFICIAL
anwer to the question... how did he die? Drugs? Allergic reaction to a
pesticide? I remember the day he died. I never listened to the radio in
the mornings, but for some reason I turned the radio on before I got out
of bed, and they were playing Rosanna, and they Cacey Casum (Sp?) came on
and announced he died. He was my number # influence growing up. The
reports I first heard was that he had an allerdic reaction to a pesticide
he was spraying on his lawn. Then I heard the pesticide killed him
because he had a weak heart due too much cocaine use..... anyone know the
REAL story?
Russell

Chris Dagley

Apr 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/11/98

Big N.S. wrote:

> SCARAB wrote:
> >
> > Carlos Vega shot himself the other day. The word is he had a secret drug
> > addiction
>
> Probally, cocaine the drug that killed his friend Jeff Pocaro.
>
> For those interested in Carlos's work, he did some cool stuff with
> Stanley Clark on East River Drive, and also played with James Taylor
> along side Flim Johnson on bass. This is by know means supposed to be a
> complete listing, just some recommendations for those that do not know
> who he is.
>
> that his family or anyone new about. I'm very sad over this.
> > Mike
>
> --
> Thanks,
>
> Mark Spielberg @ <http://www.netassoc.net/spielbergaudio/>

Im so sadened to hear of the death of Carlos Vega.
Unfortunately i never knew him personally, but his playing has truly
inspired me for many years.
Isn't it strange, how a man who could generate the most flowing grooves
and feels, but yet is so mentally torchered with something, that it
drives him to suicide?

Thanks for the years of inspiration Carlos.

R.I.P

Chris Dagley

Apr 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/11/98

Big N.S. wrote:

> SCARAB wrote:
> >
> > Carlos Vega shot himself the other day. The word is he had a secret drug
> > addiction
>
> Probally, cocaine the drug that killed his friend Jeff Pocaro.
>
> For those interested in Carlos's work, he did some cool stuff with
> Stanley Clark on East River Drive, and also played with James Taylor
> along side Flim Johnson on bass. This is by know means supposed to be a
> complete listing, just some recommendations for those that do not know
> who he is.
>
> that his family or anyone new about. I'm very sad over this.
> > Mike
>
> --
> Thanks,
>
> Mark Spielberg @ <http://www.netassoc.net/spielbergaudio/>

Im sadened to hear about the death of Carlos Vega.
Although i nver knew him personally his playing inspired me for years.
Is'nt it strange how a man can generate some of the best grooves and
feels ive ever heard, yet be so mentally torchered by something, it
drives him to suicide?.

R.I.P Carlos Vega.

Eric Craig

Apr 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/11/98

SCARAB wrote in message <01bd63ff$8800b540$e9000781@mine>...

>Carlos Vega shot himself the other day. The word is he had a secret drug

>addiction that his family or anyone new about. I'm very sad over this.
>Mike

What a horrible thing for anyone to do.
P.S. Who's Carlos Vega?

Only a surfer knows a feeling

Apr 12, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/12/98
to Russell m. Gellman

Russell m. Gellman wrote:

> Now that we're mentioning Jeff Porcaro, can anyone give me an OFFICIAL
> anwer to the question... how did he die? Drugs? Allergic reaction to a
> pesticide? I remember the day he died. I never listened to the radio in
> the mornings, but for some reason I turned the radio on before I got out
> of bed, and they were playing Rosanna, and they Cacey Casum (Sp?) came on
> and announced he died. He was my number # influence growing up. The
> reports I first heard was that he had an allerdic reaction to a pesticide
> he was spraying on his lawn. Then I heard the pesticide killed him
> because he had a weak heart due too much cocaine use..... anyone know the
> REAL story?
> Russell

how far away did Jeff live from brentwood??? (I know bad joke)

molu

Apr 12, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/12/98

Can anyone tell me excatly when did he die ?? I just received the message
and I´m in chock. I´m a pro drummer myself & the first album i ever bought
was "GRP - Live in session", which features an
incredible Carlos Vega.

He inspired me to play the drums...

drumming lost another of its true greats !!!!!!

Morten, DK

rocko

Apr 12, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/12/98
to molu
Amen- Carlos had that special way of playing which was so out of the
way yet completely integral to the music he played. I can''t believe
this! I'm terribly saddened by this tragic event. Rest in peace dear
brother.
jg

JahCedmon

Apr 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/13/98

>I can't believe this.
>First Jeff Porcaro now Carlos who's next.
>My God I'm in shock.

Sorry to say this, but they are just as human as you and I. They do die also.
God put us here, then take us when he's ready to do so.
Also, it's hard to hide a drug problem from people. No matter what drug it is.
All drugs has a personality side effect to them. If you have a drug problem,
people will find out because you'll be a walking billboard!

my sincere condolances goes to his next of kin and to all his fans!
Ced

Gutsboy14

Apr 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/13/98

> "GRP - Live in session",

I have a video disk of this. Up till that time Carlos was a guy who played on
some Linda Ronstadt (is that spelled right?) records. But he just smokes on
that GRP stuff. I would just freak my friends out by showing them that.

My understanding was that Mr. Pocaro did indeed die from "Hardening of the
artories due to cocaine abuse". What was it that got Mr. Vega?
Matt Ritter
SLIPIT Industries, Established 1939
guts...@aol.com
"ONE CAN. MORE USES."