High isolation headphones?

Mark Talbott

Feb 9, 2001, 3:40:45 PM2/9/01
As much as I love my Sony 7506's they are not providing enough isolation for
me any longer. My ears are to sensitive these days to take the volume I need
to get above the drums. I know we have had this discussion before here in
the rumpus room but I thought I would pole you all again.

If I remember correctly the Metrophones were what most folks recommended.
Are there others that any of you would recommend? I don't need the metronome
feature. Also, thus far, the cheapest I've found the Metrophones is $92 at
Mars. Anybody know where to get them cheaper than that?

Thanks in advance,
Mark
http://www.drumgeeks.com

Bermuda Schwartz

Feb 9, 2001, 5:07:22 PM2/9/01
On Fri, 9 Feb 2001 20:40:45 GMT, "Mark Talbott" <ma...@drumgeeks.com>
wrote:

>As much as I love my Sony 7506's they are not providing enough isolation for
>me any longer.

I was using those too (still like them for my stereo & V-Drums)

>If I remember correctly the Metrophones were what most folks recommended.
>Are there others that any of you would recommend?

Tried the metrophones - great isolation, atrocious sound, design
flaws.

I got the GK Music Superphones - EXCELLENT isolation and EXCELLENT
sound (they have Sony V-6 elements inside!) They're a little pricey at
$179, but don't try to cheap out when it comes to good phones - you
really do get what you pay for.

Check them out at www.gk-music.com

Bermuda

beethovenjunior

Feb 9, 2001, 5:07:05 PM2/9/01
I was in your place a while back. Those are some great headphones, but
they're not much for isolation. My friend gave me a pair of Sony MDR-
CD180 headphones that are close-eared (completely cover your outer
ear). They're not professional headphones, but they get the job done.
I'm quite happy with mine. You can find them at yer local Best Buy for
about $20. Now how's that for a price? Great bang for the buck.

I warn you that they won't completely isolate the sounds, but it blocks
enough to make it easier to concentrate on what you need to. In REALLY
loud situations, I'd wear some foam ear plugs in addition to the
headphones. Good luck.

--
Beethoven, Junior
"I say hurl. If you blow chunks and

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

chris...@my-deja.com

Feb 9, 2001, 5:49:37 PM2/9/01
In article <G8IC3...@news.boeing.com>,

Doesn't Vic Firth make isolation headphones - some sort of Rod
Morganstien endorsed deal?

Mark Talbott

Feb 9, 2001, 9:13:09 PM2/9/01
Thanks Bermuda. I checked out the site. Some very good testimonies there.
And the fact that they sport the Sony V-6 components is very attractive to
me. And really $179 is not out of line for a quality set of phones.

I noticed that they rated the isolation at 18-20db. The metrophone folks
claim 29db for their phones. Having used both did you feel there was that
much difference in the isolation? Also the thing I really love about the
7506's is their comfort. Seems like you can where them forever. How are the
Superphones for comfort?

Mark,
http://www.drumgeeks.com

"Bermuda Schwartz" <ber...@weirdal.com> wrote in message

Mark Talbott

Feb 9, 2001, 9:14:41 PM2/9/01
hmmm, my 7506's are closed ear. Are we talking about the same phones?

Mark,
http://www.drumgeeks.com

"beethovenjunior" <beethov...@my-deja.com> wrote in message

Mark Talbott

Feb 9, 2001, 9:15:30 PM2/9/01
Thanks I'll see if I can track down some info on them.

Mark,
http://www.drumgeeks.com

<chris...@my-deja.com> wrote in message

Bermuda Schwartz

Feb 10, 2001, 12:02:42 AM2/10/01
On Fri, 9 Feb 2001 18:13:09 -0800, "Mark Talbott" <ma...@drumgeeks.com>
wrote:

>Thanks Bermuda. I checked out the site. Some very good testimonies there.
>And the fact that they sport the Sony V-6 components is very attractive to
>me. And really $179 is not out of line for a quality set of phones.

As long as you're not thrashing them on the road and replacing them
every year (like I did with the 7506's) then it's a good investment!

>I noticed that they rated the isolation at 18-20db. The metrophone folks
>claim 29db for their phones. Having used both did you feel there was that
>much difference in the isolation? Also the thing I really love about the
>7506's is their comfort. Seems like you can where them forever. How are the
>Superphones for comfort?

I used the different phones about a year apart, and I recall that the
Metrophones did have really good isolation, but I don't recall it
being significantly better - certainly not by 50% - than the
Superphones. btw, there's supposed to be a new Superphones model with
about 30db isolation... don't know if that ever came to pass. I can't
imagine needing more than the Superphones anyway.

The Superphones I have are plenty isolated, and pretty comfortable.
They grip your head a bit more than the Sony's do, not annoyingly so
however, and I've yet to shake them off. The Metrophones were
uncomfortably snug... the earpieces weren't very big, and they're
vinyl, and my ears felt cramped and sweaty. That's just one of the
design flaws. Another fairly serious problem is that the connecting
cord plugs into the bottom of one of the earpieces with an 1/8" mini
jack, and it falls out VERY easily. I ended up zip-tying the cord to
the earpiece brackets and the headband strap. But the biggest issue I
had with the phones - they just sounded horrible. I was taking the
output straight from a Mackie mixer, and there was nothing but
distortion (at the same levels where the Sony's, and ultimately the
Superphones, sounded clean & punchy!)

Anyway, I used the Metrophones for 2 shows, then returned them.

The Superphones don't sound quite as crisp as the 7506s... perhaps
because the element is a little farther from the ear? A little eq
solves that problem. And because there's more of a chamber, you'll get
really nice bass response in the Superphones.

They're really...uh... Super.

Bermuda

Jeffrey Speegle

Feb 10, 2001, 12:34:16 AM2/10/01
to Mark Talbott
I use AKG K270s'
These mothers are HUGE closed ear / dual element
studio phones. List is something ridicules
like $350, Musician's Friend is like $250. If
you watch Ebay you can get NOS for ~$135 or so.
...which is what I paid for mine.

JWS

--

Jeffrey
| Jeffrey W. Speegle |

beethovenjunior

Feb 10, 2001, 12:55:10 AM2/10/01

> hmmm, my 7506's are closed ear. Are we talking about the same phones?
>
> Mark,
> http://www.drumgeeks.com

Naw, the Sony MDR-CD180's are different. I think www.bestbuy.com has
pictures of the headphones. I was under the impression that the 7506's
didn't completely enclose the ear... guess I was wrong. Actually, on
further search, I found that Aiwa advertises a set of "Noise Canceling
Headphones" that run about $50. It says they reduce noise by 70%. I
haven't tried them, but at that price they're worth trying. Here's a
link: http://www.bestbuy.com/detail.asp?e=11000084&m=58&cat=70&scat=72

Sluggo

Feb 10, 2001, 1:22:08 AM2/10/01
I just saw Rod in a clinic (excellent clinician). He and I talked
afterwards for a while about recording. He used two types of phones
from VF. The first pair where simply the VF isolation headphones with
speakers inside. I failed to ask him what the guts where but he claims
that he uses them in the studio all the time. He also had a set with a
microphone attached which allowed him to demonstrate things while
counting out loud. (When was the last time you tried playing a 5 over 4
groove while counting the four, then the five. Rod was very
impressive.) He mainly used the other set for playing to some Platypus
and Rudess/Morgenstien Project tracks on DAT. He was also gearing up
for a tour playing in Jazz Is Dead. Rod's signature ride was also very
nice.

Anyway, he recommended getting some. He did say that live he uses other
ear protection with side fields or in ear monitors. I have also seen a
drummer on HBO's Reverb use the VF isolation phones but I cannot
remember the name of the band or drummer.

RLLRRL,
Sluggo

In article <961s5u$qpb$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>,

--
Three lefts don't make a right... but it can sound cool.

van de Hoef

Feb 10, 2001, 3:33:50 AM2/10/01
Yeah, I just got a catalog from Vic...They've got 2 pairs in that catalog if
I remember corectly....
<chris...@my-deja.com> schreef in bericht

Bermuda Schwartz

Feb 10, 2001, 10:33:29 AM2/10/01
On Fri, 09 Feb 2001 23:34:16 -0600, Jeffrey Speegle
<jeffrey...@mindspring.com> wrote:

>I use AKG K270s'
>These mothers are HUGE closed ear / dual element
>studio phones.

I have a pair of the 240's (same earpiece design) and there's very
little isolation in terms of a live performance.

Bermuda

Bermuda Schwartz

Feb 10, 2001, 10:37:00 AM2/10/01
On Sat, 10 Feb 2001 05:55:10 GMT, beethovenjunior
<beethov...@my-deja.com> wrote:

>further search, I found that Aiwa advertises a set of "Noise Canceling
>Headphones" that run about $50. It says they reduce noise by 70%.

I don't know about the $50 model, but I had an amazing pair of Koss
noise-canceling phones on a helicopter ride, and they really do work!
Not sure about the fidelity for music, and since their high-end phones
cost over $1000, I'd be very cautious about anything under $500.

Or, for $179, you could get the Superphones! :)

Bermuda

Mark Talbott

Feb 10, 2001, 11:13:41 AM2/10/01

> On Fri, 9 Feb 2001 18:13:09 -0800, "Mark Talbott" <ma...@drumgeeks.com>
> wrote:
>
> As long as you're not thrashing them on the road and replacing them
> every year (like I did with the 7506's) then it's a good investment!

No I'm not a raod dog. I've got several years on my 7506's! Although the
foam covering is finally starting to split!

Thanks for the info Bermuda. These def sound like what I'm after.

Mark,
http://www.drumgeeks.com

Mark Talbott

Feb 10, 2001, 11:19:23 AM2/10/01
Thanks Jeff. Isn't the majority of your work in very low volume situations?
Have you tried them in higher volume settings? It sounds like they could be
quite loud and I'm sure the sound great but I'm after isolation...

Mark,
http://www.drumgeeks.com

"Jeffrey Speegle" <jeffrey...@mindspring.com> wrote in message

Mark Talbott

Feb 10, 2001, 11:22:11 AM2/10/01
I don't think manufactures have siiting on top of live drums in mind when
they make noise cancelling headphones ;-)

Mark,
http://www.drumgeeks.com

"Bermuda Schwartz" <ber...@weirdal.com> wrote in message

Bermuda Schwartz

Feb 10, 2001, 12:34:32 PM2/10/01
On Sat, 10 Feb 2001 08:22:11 -0800, "Mark Talbott"
<ma...@drumgeeks.com> wrote:

>I don't think manufactures have siiting on top of live drums in mind when
>they make noise cancelling headphones ;-)

Probably not... but, I wonder?

chris...@my-deja.com

Feb 10, 2001, 2:36:58 PM2/10/01
In article <962mmd$fc6$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>,

Sluggo <cdupl...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I just saw Rod in a clinic (excellent clinician). He and I talked
> afterwards for a while about recording. He used two types of phones
> from VF. The first pair where simply the VF isolation headphones with
> speakers inside. I failed to ask him what the guts where but he claims
> that he uses them in the studio all the time. He also had a set with a
> microphone attached which allowed him to demonstrate things while
> counting out loud. (When was the last time you tried playing a 5 over
4
> groove while counting the four, then the five. Rod was very
> impressive.) He mainly used the other set for playing to some Platypus
> and Rudess/Morgenstien Project tracks on DAT. He was also gearing up
> for a tour playing in Jazz Is Dead. Rod's signature ride was also very
> nice.
>
> Anyway, he recommended getting some. He did say that live he uses
other
> ear protection with side fields or in ear monitors. I have also seen a
> drummer on HBO's Reverb use the VF isolation phones but I cannot
> remember the name of the band or drummer.
>
> RLLRRL,
> Sluggo
>
>\

Rod is one of my all time favorites. I've had the oppotunity to talk
with him a little after JID shows. Wow, what a cool dude.

You said something about his "other" kit during the clinic? What
configuration was that? Was it different from his usual Premier?

Unfortunately, I've been unable to listen to much of Platypus or
Ruddess-Morganstein Project. I guess I should pick that stuff up - I
better complete my Britney Spears and 98 Degrees selection first! ;-)

Mark Talbott

Feb 10, 2001, 2:59:45 PM2/10/01
I had always heard of these devices in terms of addressing background noise
and made the assumption. But after skimming the stuff at the following web
site it seems that perhaps the technology used in conjunction with a product
like the Superphones may provide additional benefit. At any rate, some
interesting information there and another path to research...

http://headwize.com/projects/noise_prj.htm

Mark,
http://www.drumgeeks.com

"Bermuda Schwartz" <ber...@weirdal.com> wrote in message

Jeffrey Speegle

Feb 10, 2001, 7:00:42 PM2/10/01
to Bermuda Schwartz
nope!

The 240s' and 270s' are DRASTICALLY different
in their design (I own K141, K240 & K270)
The earpiece on the 70s' are MUCH larger
than that of the 40s' and sits down OVER
your ear (read as 'ear INSIDE the phone')
and the pads seal against your skull.

I agree, the 40s' give little isolation,
but the 70s' are a completely different
ball game! ...hence the difference in $
between the two models.

JWS

Jeffrey Speegle

Feb 10, 2001, 7:02:28 PM2/10/01
to Mark Talbott
I do both high and low volume work and
they are the best that I've found, no
question.

JWS

Michel

Feb 10, 2001, 7:40:54 PM2/10/01
In article <G8IC3...@news.boeing.com>,
"Mark Talbott" <ma...@drumgeeks.com> wrote:
>As much as I love my Sony 7506's they are not providing enough
>isolation for me any longer.

Mark

I use Studio-Kans, they cover the ear entirely and have a liquid filled
pad around the edge for comfort and isolation. They are rated 30dB
noise reduction which is as much as you get from in-ear molded plugs
for instance. They do not provide the highest fidelity sound but in a
band situation or for practicing along to CDs, they do the job well
enough. I paid mine approximately $100. Well worth it.

--
Michel

-- We get old too soon and smart too late --

michael adams

Feb 10, 2001, 8:37:19 PM2/10/01
has anyone used the beyer dt150's ?

-MIKE-

Feb 10, 2001, 10:15:28 PM2/10/01
I've used many a pair of 7506 phones. While they may fall into the
closed ear category, they are hardly isolation phones. They don't
do much more for isolating external sound, than my open air (yes,
air) Sennheisers.

-MIKE-

--
http://mikedrums.com
mi...@mikedrums.com or hit 'reply'

Bermuda Schwartz

Feb 11, 2001, 1:46:21 AM2/11/01
On Sat, 10 Feb 2001 18:00:42 -0600, Jeffrey Speegle
<jeffrey...@mindspring.com> wrote:

>nope!
>
>The 240s' and 270s' are DRASTICALLY different
>in their design (I own K141, K240 & K270)
>The earpiece on the 70s' are MUCH larger
>than that of the 40s' and sits down OVER
>your ear (read as 'ear INSIDE the phone')
>and the pads seal against your skull.
>
>I agree, the 40s' give little isolation,
>but the 70s' are a completely different
>ball game! ...hence the difference in $
>between the two models.

I stand corrected! Still, I've never heard of AKG's mentioned
favorably in a discussion about high isolation. very few standard
phones offer(ed) such a good seal... with the exception of the
following: Koss Pro4AA (those heavy phones from 30 years ago that were
re-introduced through radio Shack a few years back) and the Koss red
Devils (c1972, with cushy foam earpads that sealed well.)

Bermuda

Mark Talbott

Feb 11, 2001, 1:16:02 PM2/11/01
Thanks Michel. Are those made by the Metrophone folks? Also I should clarify
a bit. The sole purpose of these is for studio work so the quality of sound
is very important to me. As important as the isolation. I have Westone
molded earplugs to cover the rest.

Mark,
http://www.drumgeeks.com

"Michel" <md...@my-deja.com> wrote in message

Mark Talbott

Feb 11, 2001, 1:23:03 PM2/11/01
Right you are -MIKE-. The 7506's are not designed to provide high isolation
and they don't. That's why I'm looking. They do provide more isolation than
open ear phones though. Including some high end wireless Sennheisers I tried
last night. There was a marked difference imho.

Mark,
http://www.drumgeeks.com

"-MIKE-" <mi...@mikedrums.com> wrote in message

Michel

Feb 11, 2001, 6:51:39 PM2/11/01
In article <t8dlv9b...@corp.supernews.com>,

"Mark Talbott" <ma...@drumgeeks.com> wrote:
>Thanks Michel. Are those made by the Metrophone folks? Also I should
>clarify a bit. The sole purpose of these is for studio work so the
>quality of sound is very important to me. As important as the
>isolation. I have Westone molded earplugs to cover the rest.

Mark

I'll have to check who makes them, I'm not at home right now. As far as
the quality of sound, they are pretty good but I wouldn't classify them
as high-fidelity, they have a good frequency response over 15-25000.
They are rated 29dB reduction, and have a volume control built in.
They have a removable 9' cable and a liquid filled pad around the
earpieces for comfort and isolation. I find the sound quality quite
satisfactory when practicing with the band or when playing along to
CDs, but if you are looking for very high quality high fidelity
earphones, you should expect to pay a lot more than $100. Cheers

ronnd...@my-deja.com

Feb 12, 2001, 6:17:17 AM2/12/01
Try a set of Peltor attenuators with built in comms device. Probably $40-50
at a Safety supply store. They look like the Vic Firth units because they are
made by the same company - they don't say Vic Firth and although I'll really
miss having that name on my headphones I like having the extra $.

Kandle

Feb 20, 2001, 11:15:01 AM2/20/01
"Mark Talbott" <ma...@drumgeeks.com> wrote in
<t8dmccd...@corp.supernews.com>:

Try the NEW Sennheisers I think the number is 9270 (not the base
9200's) very comfortable and VERY good blocking. I play in a completly
enclosed sound room and have tried all the Fostec's, Sony's, BM's and
others. These give me the range of sound for around $100.00 retail
(list is like $180.00). I could not find these anywhere, asked Sam Ash
to order and got them for $90.00 to boot!
--
kANDLe
[email is fake-please use group to reply]