Yamaha Stage VS. Premier XPK

Bob Arrigo

Dec 17, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/17/96

The local dealer has XPK's and Yamaha Stage kits for
~$900 and $700 respectively. He claims they're
comparable...I'm rather new to percussion and was
looking for a recommendation on this one.

Thanks for any information!!

bob arrigo
r.ar...@lucent.com

Mark Ian Karjaluoto

Dec 19, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/19/96

Bob Arrigo <rar...@lucent.com> wrote in article
<32B73A...@lucent.com>...

> The local dealer has XPK's and Yamaha Stage kits for
> ~$900 and $700 respectively. He claims they're
> comparable...I'm rather new to percussion and was
> looking for a recommendation on this one.

I'm not exactly sure they are comparable. The Premier kit has better heads
and better shells (birch and eucalyptus vs. mahogany and falkata). I think
Premier's lacquering process is superior as well.

The Premier kit is very much a semi-pro kit. I would recommend it as you
will probably have it for longer than the Yamaha kit.

Mark
mkar...@uvic.ca

Doug Weiss

Dec 21, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/21/96

Bob Arrigo <rar...@lucent.com> wrote:

>The local dealer has XPK's and Yamaha Stage kits for
>~$900 and $700 respectively. He claims they're
>comparable...I'm rather new to percussion and was
>looking for a recommendation on this one.

>Thanks for any information!!

>bob arrigo
>r.ar...@lucent.com

First, your local dealer is asking too much....check around. I agree
with the other appends......the only thing going for the yamaha is the
name...and I'm not even sure about that. Go with the
Premier's...APK's or XPK's and you'll have a much better kit!

By the way...check where the Yamaha Stage's are built. The GOOD
Yamahas are built in Japan!

Jim Dwyer

Dec 22, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/22/96

Yamaha used to own Premier and when they did the Premier hardware was
upgraded to look exactly like the Yamaha hardware. Now that Premier owns
Premier the hardware is still just as good a Yamaha's but the drums and
drum finishes (XPK) are much nicer.

--
Jim Dwyer
London, Ontario

Ian Anderson

Dec 22, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/22/96

On 19 Dec 1996 14:59:17 GMT, "Mark Ian Karjaluoto" <mkar...@uvic.ca>
wrote:

>Bob Arrigo <rar...@lucent.com> wrote in article
><32B73A...@lucent.com>...

>> The local dealer has XPK's and Yamaha Stage kits for
>> ~$900 and $700 respectively. He claims they're
>> comparable...I'm rather new to percussion and was
>> looking for a recommendation on this one.
>

>I'm not exactly sure they are comparable. The Premier kit has better heads
>and better shells (birch and eucalyptus vs. mahogany and falkata). I think
>Premier's lacquering process is superior as well.
>
>The Premier kit is very much a semi-pro kit. I would recommend it as you
>will probably have it for longer than the Yamaha kit.
>
>Mark
>mkar...@uvic.ca

Mark said it all. Plus you get a really nice wood snare matched to
your drumset into the bargain.
Cheers
Ian Anderson
"Music is just notes on paper, it's the subdivisions and
how we play them that makes it groove": Peter Erskine

Robert Cleary

Dec 23, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/23/96

In article <59k0p8$g...@freenet-news.carleton.ca>,
ch...@FreeNet.Carleton.CA (Jim Dwyer) wrote:

> Yamaha used to own Premier and when they did the Premier hardware was
> upgraded to look exactly like the Yamaha hardware. Now that Premier owns
> Premier the hardware is still just as good a Yamaha's but the drums and
> drum finishes (XPK) are much nicer.

Just for the record, when Yamaha owned Premier, Premier manufactured the
Yamaha hardware. You can see the "Made in England" stamp on the Yamaha
hardware from that time.

Robert Cleary
rcl...@socketis.net

Ianwaddell

Jan 11, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/11/97

I agree about the choice of kit but think twice about the choice of snare
recommended a wood shell snare does look good but it sounds completely
different from a metal one. It may or may not be your taste.

Jim Dwyer

Jan 12, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/12/97

Any flexable drummer should have 2 or three snares anyway so I would go
for the matching wood Premier snare and pick up a metal one afterwards.