What size kit did Dino Danelli use in Rascal days?

Hellenason7

Aug 13, 2004, 10:44:13 AM8/13/04
Did Dino generally use a 4 piece or a 5 piece kit when he played
with the Rascals?

Dav1936531

Aug 13, 2004, 10:54:28 AM8/13/04
>From: helle...@aol.com (Hellenason7)
><20040813104413...@mb-m24.aol.com>

>Did Dino generally use a 4 piece or a 5 piece kit when he played with the
Rascals?<

Anybody who would know has probably already died from complications of old age.
Dave

Mark Polis

Aug 13, 2004, 11:31:11 AM8/13/04
I believe he usually used Ludwig 14x24BD, 9x13 rack tom (on separate snare
stand), 16x16FT and a 5½x14 Supraphonic.
o-----« Mark Polis b.d...@suscom.net »-----o

"You play because you must." - drummer Tony Williams

"Hellenason7" <helle...@aol.com> wrote in message

Drumbelly

Aug 13, 2004, 1:53:10 PM8/13/04
You got it Mark! Remember the silver sparkle kit with the black bands going
across them? I think he had a Yosemite Sam kit too, great memories :=)

--
Cheers! Scott Hoffman
Until next time, keep time.

"Mark Polis" <b.d...@suscom.net> wrote in message

TheB

Aug 13, 2004, 2:07:49 PM8/13/04
dav19...@aol.com (Dav1936531) wrote in

> Anybody who would know has probably already died from complications of
> old age. Dave

Thank you very much for your extremely helpful post...

Sam Savoca

Aug 13, 2004, 2:11:00 PM8/13/04

"Drumbelly" <drum...@verizon.net> wrote in message

> You got it Mark! Remember the silver sparkle kit with the black bands
going
> across them? I think he had a Yosemite Sam kit too, great memories :=)

What's a "Yosemite Sam kit"?

Inquiring minds...

Sam S.

Drumbelly

Aug 13, 2004, 2:37:37 PM8/13/04
Dino had Ludwig make him up a kit that had the cartoon character Yosemite
Sam painted on the drums.

--
Cheers! Scott Hoffman
Until next time, keep time.

"Sam Savoca" <maxom...@erols.com> wrote in message

Jay Epstein

Aug 13, 2004, 3:15:25 PM8/13/04
Mark,
I thought 22 BD, although Gene Cornish once told me he used a 24 in
the studio. Later in the band, he apparently was playing an all white
set of Ludwigs - shells, lugs, hoops, maybe one of the first powder
coated sets. I saw him in the mid-late '80s in one of the Rascal
'reunion' gigs (sans Eddie) at which he was playing a big Pearl set.

Jay

"Mark Polis" <b.d...@suscom.net> wrote:
>I believe he usually used Ludwig 14x24BD, 9x13 rack tom (on separate snare

>stand), 16x16FT and a 5綞14 Supraphonic.s

Mark Polis

Aug 13, 2004, 3:33:30 PM8/13/04
http://www.drummerworld.com/drummers/Dino_Danelli.html
Scroll down to picture of the cover of him from the cover of the Collection
album (my favorite) where he's on the champagne sparkle set, Jay - I think
that's a 24" (or even a 26"!).

"Jay Epstein" <ja...@earth.man> wrote in message

> >stand), 16x16FT and a 5½x14 Supraphonic.s

Jay Epstein

Aug 13, 2004, 3:58:30 PM8/13/04
Yes. Zowie! I yield to the gentleman from NY, who was THERE to catch
Dino in his prime! Wow, I'd easily trade all my memories of seeing
Keith Moon, Charlie Watts, & Mitch Mitchell for that one, you devil!
I feel like wearing a pair of knickers to the gig tonight. After a
quick stick twirl, I might even give one of my cymbals an uppercut!
Jay

"Mark Polis" <b.d...@suscom.net> wrote:
>http://www.drummerworld.com/drummers/Dino_Danelli.html
>Scroll down to picture of the cover of him from the cover of the Collection
>album (my favorite) where he's on the champagne sparkle set, Jay - I think
>that's a 24" (or even a 26"!).
>--
>--

>o-----«? Mark Polis ? b.d...@suscom.net ?»-----o

DJ Bjorklund

Aug 13, 2004, 5:20:35 PM8/13/04

Say Dave, you're pretty funny for a fuck-head punk.

Jim Fleck

Aug 13, 2004, 5:54:42 PM8/13/04
Bob Cianci's book "Great Rock Drummers of the 60's" has a chapter on
Dino compete with an interview in which Dino provides most of the info
discussed here. If I were at home, I'd look this up. But alas, I am
not.

But I'm pretty sure Mark's correct about that 24" bass drum. IIRC,
Dino met or worked with Cozy Cole or someone like that early in his
career (pre-Rascals). Cozy may even have given him an old drum set.
But I think that's where Dino says he developed a liking for the
larger bass drum.

On Fri, 13 Aug 2004 15:33:30 -0400, "Mark Polis" <b.d...@suscom.net>
wrote:

>http://www.drummerworld.com/drummers/Dino_Danelli.html
>Scroll down to picture of the cover of him from the cover of the Collection
>album (my favorite) where he's on the champagne sparkle set, Jay - I think
>that's a 24" (or even a 26"!).
>--
>--

>o-----«? Mark Polis ? b.d...@suscom.net ?»-----o

nick amoroso

Aug 13, 2004, 6:01:28 PM8/13/04
dj wrote:

he is?

peace,
:nick amoroso:
professional drums and instruction
http://www.nickamoroso.com

mfell211...@yahoo.com

Aug 13, 2004, 6:49:41 PM8/13/04
On Fri, 13 Aug 2004 11:31:11 -0400, "Mark Polis" <b.d...@suscom.net>
wrote:

>I believe he usually used Ludwig 14x24BD, 9x13 rack tom (on separate snare

>stand), 16x16FT and a 5½x14 Supraphonic.
>--
>--

>o-----«? Mark Polis ? b.d...@suscom.net ?»-----o

>"You play because you must." - drummer Tony Williams
>--

I could have sworn Dino used a Gretsch kit.
Regards
Michael H. Fell

nick amoroso

Aug 13, 2004, 7:06:32 PM8/13/04
mike fell wrote:

>I could have sworn Dino used a Gretsch kit.
>Regards
>Michael H. Fell

i'm fairly certain it was a ludwig.

http://www.nickamoroso.com/other/images/hollywoodDrumShow/62.jpg

http://www.nickamoroso.com/other/images/hollywoodDrumShow/63.jpg

that's not dino's kit, of course, but it's supposed to be a close
representation.

Hellenason7

Aug 13, 2004, 8:07:17 PM8/13/04
>>Anybody who would know has probably already died from complications of old
>age.
>>Dave

Sounds like you've got a hell of a lot to learn about great drumming.

Hellenason7

Aug 13, 2004, 8:08:53 PM8/13/04
Thanks for the confirmation. What a monstrous sound DD got from a 4
piece kit. But that's DD for you. The man's fills were incredible.

Shawn Martin

Aug 13, 2004, 8:30:06 PM8/13/04
On 13 Aug 2004 14:54:28 GMT, dav19...@aol.com (Dav1936531) wrote:

Dino is probably all of 60 (at the oldest).

Shawn Martin
http://www.drummerman.net

Life Is Short. Play For the Music. Wear Your Heart on Your Sleeve.

Donn Deniston

Aug 13, 2004, 9:21:44 PM8/13/04
Well Dave you've cornered the market on ignorance, haven't you?
Congratulations, with one single sentence you've elected yourself asshole of
the month.

You should be proud of yourself.

"Dav1936531" <dav19...@aol.com> wrote in message
> [...]

nick amoroso

Aug 13, 2004, 10:22:09 PM8/13/04
dj wrote:

>I was BE-ing sarCAStic Nick!!! ;^)

i was PLAY-ing aLONg with you dj!!! ;-)

Dav1936531

Aug 14, 2004, 2:09:06 AM8/14/04
>From: "Donn Deniston" deniston3...@earthlink.net
><IOdTc.21486$cK.1...@newsread2.news.pas.earthlink.net>

>Well Dave you've cornered the market on ignorance, haven't you?
>Congratulations, with one single sentence you've elected yourself asshole of
the month.

>You should be proud of yourself.

No sense of humor huh? That's a tough way to travel life.
Dave

Donn Deniston

Aug 14, 2004, 10:03:28 AM8/14/04
I've got a great sense of humor Davy, let me know when you offer up
something humorous.

"Dav1936531" <dav19...@aol.com> wrote in message

Chris Milillo

Aug 15, 2004, 11:36:06 AM8/15/04
Wow, it only took 14 posts before the original poster got his answer. Good
stuff, Mark.

CM

"Mark Polis" <b.d...@suscom.net> wrote in message

empower...@gmail.com

Jan 16, 2020, 12:27:21 PM1/16/20

empower...@gmail.com

Jan 16, 2020, 12:36:26 PM1/16/20
On Friday, August 13, 2004 at 10:44:13 AM UTC-4, Hellenason7 wrote:
> Did Dino generally use a 4 piece or a 5 piece kit when he played
> with the Rascals?

Dino used Ludwig drums 14by24..9by13..16by16 and supraphonic 5by14 or 6and a half by 14 snare.Ride cymbal off bass drum..rack tom on snare stand.I should know I was there..on the road and in the studio..old

Atlantic studios on Broadway.