Lyrics to "Benny's from Heaven"

John Wong

May 28, 2001, 5:45:11 AM5/28/01
Wondering if any kind soul out there can share this lyric of Eddie
Jefferson made big by James Moody?

Thanks

John Wong

Marco Funk

May 28, 2001, 9:25:05 AM5/28/01
Are you sure with "Benny's from Heaven"?
I only know a tune called "PENNIES from Heaven". I actually have no lyrics
for this one but with the correct title I think you will be able to find
them in the internet somewhere.

Good Luck and keep on jazzin'
Marco

"John Wong" <john...@hq.psa.com.sg> schrieb im Newsbeitrag

bpm...@attglobal.net

May 28, 2001, 10:03:01 AM5/28/01
Greetings to both John and Marco,

John, you may have to look for the recording by Moody or Byron Stripling to
get the lyrics (ex record or napster) unless someone is this group would be
kind enough to email you a copy. Marco, the lyric John is looking for is
based on the tune "Pennies from Heaven", it is a spoof about a man who has
been off to war for two years and comes home to find his wife is pregnant
and when he asks her how this can be she replies Benny's from Heaven. Its a
cute lyric.

"Marco Funk" <marco...@arcormail.de> wrote in message

Phil Smith

May 28, 2001, 11:43:49 AM5/28/01
John Wong wrote:

> Wondering if any kind soul out there can share this lyric of Eddie
> Jefferson made big by James Moody?

I had the pleasure of sharing a stage with James Moody several years
ago, and he sang this song. He speckled the lyrics of the verse with
scat - it was fantastic. I can no longer remember all the lyrics, sadly.
I'd be glad if someone would post them.

-Phil

Ulf Åbjörnsson

May 28, 2001, 12:10:51 PM5/28/01
Marco Funk skrev ...

> Are you sure with "Benny's from Heaven"?
> I only know a tune called "PENNIES from Heaven". I actually have no lyrics
> for this one but with the correct title I think you will be able to find
> them in the internet somewhere.

"Benny's from Heaven" is a tune played by (I think) trombonist Benny Green.

"Pennies from Heaven" is an entirely different thing.

Ulf

Sam Benediktson

May 28, 2001, 12:38:14 PM5/28/01
I saw him do it a few weeks ago. It was hillarious. Unfortunately I don't
know the words either.

"Phil Smith" <m...@philsmith.com> wrote in message

Marco Funk

May 30, 2001, 3:17:52 PM5/30/01
> "Benny's from Heaven" is a tune played by (I think) trombonist Benny
Green.
> "Pennies from Heaven" is an entirely different thing.

That's why I was asking if he was sure about the title because I didn't know
the first one. On which LP or CD is "Benny's ..." included. I'm curious

Marco

Phil Smith

May 30, 2001, 4:46:39 PM5/30/01

"Benny's" is just a different set of lyrics to "Pennies". They're
hilarious. Don't have an LP, only ever heard it live.

-Phil

Howard Leyland

May 31, 2001, 12:24:41 AM5/31/01
john...@hq.psa.com.sg (John Wong) wrote in message news:<3b121d7d...@butler.psa>...

The tune is entitled "Benny's From Heaven". It appears on an Eddie
Jefferson LP called "The Main Man". As far as I can tell it's out of
print. Too bad. Great renditions of "Summertime" and "Freedom Jazz
Dance" on that one too. The label was Inner City Records, catalogue
number IC1033.
I still have the album but it's not at where I'm living currently. If
you can wait a bit, I can get the lyrics for you.

Howard Leyland

Jun 4, 2001, 12:48:58 AM6/4/01
john...@hq.psa.com.sg (John Wong) wrote in message news:<3b121d7d...@butler.psa>...

Here you go John!

Intro (ad lib tempo)

A long time ago,
A 2nd lieutenant named Spears,
Returned to the states after staying overseas three years.
His wife said, welcome home dear,
But since you've been gone you see,
We've been blessed with a darling baby,
And a cute little one is he!

She took the baby in her arms and said Benny is his name.
He said I've been gone away three years darling can't you please explain?
So I won't be so dumb,
Tell me where did little Benny come from?

(verse 1) a tempo

...And every time he asked she said,
Benny's from heaven
His face got red but still she repeatedly said
Benny's from heaven
He said I've asked the neighbors that come around
But no one can seem to remember
Benny coming down.

(2)
Now about, he said, about a little thing like this,
I ordinarily shouldn't bother, he said,
but mamma what little I know about children -
I'm sure they gotta have fathers!
(2nd ending)
And as I look at Benny, he said, I can plainly see,
Benny must be from heaven,
cause he darn sure ain't from me!

(3)
Hey, trade them for a package of
sunshine and flowers
And if you want the things you love,
you must have showers!
(2nd ending)
And when you hear a thunder
Don't run under a tree,
'cause there'll be Bennys from heaven for you and me
Hey, there'll be Bennys from heaven for you and me!

--------

Lyrics by Eddie Jefferson
Based on "Pennies From Heaven"
music by Arthur Johnston, original lyrics by John Burke

Enjoy!

Howard

Howard Leyland

Jun 4, 2001, 10:54:31 PM6/4/01
jaz...@earthlink.net (Howard Leyland) wrote in message news:<4db9d5cd.01060...@posting.google.com>...

> john...@hq.psa.com.sg (John Wong) wrote in message news:<3b121d7d...@butler.psa>...
> > Wondering if any kind soul out there can share this lyric of Eddie
> > Jefferson made big by James Moody?
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > John Wong

Correction:

> And when you hear a thunder

Should have been "'it' thunder".

Whoops. Posting past one's bedtime is a bad idea.