Jimmy Page vs Richie Blackmore?

Jarl Sigurd

Oct 29, 2001, 8:30:06 AM10/29/01
Which 70's guitarist do you think was the better player,
Jimmy Page or Richie Blackmore? Which one do you
enjoy listening to more? Which one would you say
had the better sound?

Jarl Sigurd

to listen to guitar oriented music by Jarl Sigurd
visit: http://www.ampcast.com/JarlSigurd

Terry Parker

Oct 29, 2001, 9:22:54 AM10/29/01
Page was far and away the better player/producer/all around studio man. Page
was more inventive and focused in his playing and song writing (yes, Page
was sloppy at times, but that makes his playing more real in some respects).
Page was way more commercially successful. And Page is considered an "A
list" player. Blackmore was mediocre at best. He owes a lot to Ozzy for his
minimal amount of fame... not his playing prowess. And I'll add the
obligatory... IMHO!

Parker

"Jarl Sigurd" <jarls...@geocities.com> wrote in message

Lazyman

Oct 29, 2001, 9:55:19 AM10/29/01

We have been through this soooooooooooooooooooo many times,
and the conclusion are: RB is/was the king !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
or.................. I don´t know anymore.
Now days I´m into Glenn Hughes again, and his new CD ROCK´S
--
Cheers
Lazyman

Ken Hensley
*****************//********************
Jarl Sigurd <jarls...@geocities.com> skrev i
meldingsnyheter:tNcD7.916$qb4....@tor-nn1.netcom.ca...

uffe

Oct 29, 2001, 9:56:28 AM10/29/01
He owes a lot to Ozzy for his
minimal amount of fame???????? we are takling about ritchie here not
iommi!!!!!!!and speking abot record sells ritchie has sold a lot more
records than pagey!!!
"Terry Parker" <mister...@home.com> skrev i meddelandet

Jeff Liberatore

Oct 29, 2001, 10:09:53 AM10/29/01
Dude... Blackmore was in deep Purple not Black Sabbath.

Blackmore is a monster player.

Steve

Oct 29, 2001, 10:16:26 AM10/29/01
...and Page owes all of his sucess to Alice Cooper //;^)
"Terry Parker" <mister...@home.com> wrote in message
> [...]

Svante Pettersson

Oct 29, 2001, 10:17:40 AM10/29/01
"Jarl Sigurd" <jarls...@geocities.com> vrute-a:

>Which 70's guitarist do you think was the better player,
>Jimmy Page or Richie Blackmore? Which one do you
>enjoy listening to more? Which one would you say
>had the better sound?

You're just trolling, right?

>Jarl Sigurd

Wasn't that Wereoboy's trolling friend?

/Svante

--
"We start a little bit quieter, move little bit onwards,
and in the end we will send you home... deaf" - Jon Lord

Svante Pettersson

Oct 29, 2001, 10:19:41 AM10/29/01
"uffe" <ulfw...@bredband.net> vrute-a:

>and speking abot record sells ritchie has sold a lot more
>records than pagey!!!

I would like to see some figures about that. I'm not so sure about who
sold most.

Rex Mundi

Oct 29, 2001, 10:19:41 AM10/29/01

"uffe" <ulfw...@bredband.net> wrote in message

> He owes a lot to Ozzy for his
> minimal amount of fame???????? we are takling about ritchie here not
> iommi!!!!!!!and speking abot record sells ritchie has sold a lot more
> records than pagey!!!

Can you proove that.

My preference is Blackmore, but better record sales then Zep?

Steve

Oct 29, 2001, 10:23:16 AM10/29/01
The guy who used the whammy bar on "Brother Louie" by the Stories .

Jeff Liberatore

Oct 29, 2001, 1:46:34 PM10/29/01

"Steve" <cutlip...@home.com> wrote in message

> The guy who used the whammy bar on "Brother Louie" by the Stories .

Seriously... Who WAS that... That was a great solo!

--
Jeff
http://www.mp3.com/JeffLiberatore (first 2 tunes are new)

Kramer

Oct 29, 2001, 10:45:50 AM10/29/01
> Which 70's guitarist do you think was the better player,
> Jimmy Page or Richie Blackmore?

It depends, I don't know who's technically better. But I know that Blackmore
is hitting more notes a second that I find enjoyable, than Page.

>Which one do you
> enjoy listening to more?

Blackmore

>Which one would you say
> had the better sound?

Blackmore

mediazoned

Oct 29, 2001, 10:49:01 AM10/29/01
Ozzy???????????/

--
Chris Parsons

Terry Parker

Oct 29, 2001, 11:32:07 AM10/29/01
Who cares. He's still not a major player. Blackmore, Iommi same difference.

Parker

"Jeff Liberatore" <jlb...@westcamp.com> wrote in message

Terry Parker

Oct 29, 2001, 11:33:36 AM10/29/01
Sorry, I get Blackmore and Iommi mixed up. Both in the same category...
IMHO.

Parker

"Steve" <cutlip...@home.com> wrote in message

Vince

Oct 29, 2001, 12:11:53 PM10/29/01
Hiding out here because you were kicked out of the Yngwie newsgroup,
huh?

Dan Stanley

Oct 29, 2001, 12:28:06 PM10/29/01

"Svante Pettersson" <swepett@thehighwaystar_sdfsdfsdf_.com> wrote in message

> "uffe" <ulfw...@bredband.net> vrute-a:
>
> >and speking abot record sells ritchie has sold a lot more
> >records than pagey!!!
>
> I would like to see some figures about that. I'm not so sure about who
> sold most.
>
> /Svante

I'd guess Zep has easily outsold Deep Purple and Black Sabbath.

Killans - First And Last And Always

Oct 29, 2001, 12:44:56 PM10/29/01
In article <tNcD7.916$qb4....@tor-nn1.netcom.ca>,

Jarl Sigurd <jarls...@geocities.com> wrote:
>Which 70's guitarist do you think was the better player,
>Jimmy Page or Richie Blackmore? Which one do you
>enjoy listening to more? Which one would you say
>had the better sound?

Hmm.. "A vs B" thread, crossposted to partisan newsgroups. I smell
a troll.

Mike

DEMENTED

Oct 29, 2001, 12:36:08 PM10/29/01
Blackmore has outsold Page? where did you get that information?
DEMENTED

Svante Pettersson

Oct 29, 2001, 1:53:20 PM10/29/01
"Dan Stanley" <vze2...@verizon.net> vrute-a:

>I'd guess Zep has easily outsold Deep Purple and Black Sabbath.

That would be my first guss too. It's tricky though. DP has more
albums on the market, all those silly compilations. I doubt those
cheap compilations sell like the "real" albums though. It seems like
LZ has sold more of the albums they have out though.

Stefan Mazur

Oct 29, 2001, 2:02:39 PM10/29/01
"Jarl Sigurd" <jarls...@geocities.com> wrote in message news:<tNcD7.916$qb4....@tor-nn1.netcom.ca>...
> Which 70's guitarist do you think was the better player,
> Jimmy Page or Richie Blackmore? Which one do you
> enjoy listening to more? Which one would you say
> had the better sound?

Who do *I* enjoy more: Page
Who do *I* never get tired of listening to: Page
Who makes me say "I want to sound just like that": Page
Who is the better player in stricly technical terms: probably
Blackmore
Who is the most inventive: They both have their ways and momment of
pure genius. I saw Page in 95. I didn't expect him to be like in the
old days. I was right, he's was much better! He as a way of making
everything come together just right.

I guess I prefer Page. But they are both in a category that I refer to
as "untouchable".

> Jarl Sigurd
>
> to listen to guitar oriented music by Jarl Sigurd
> visit: http://www.ampcast.com/JarlSigurd

Stefan Mazur

Rex Mundi

Oct 29, 2001, 3:30:50 PM10/29/01

> Sorry, I get Blackmore and Iommi mixed up. Both in the same category...
> IMHO.

WRONG!

Do you know ANYTHING about music?

Tom Yost

Oct 29, 2001, 4:18:48 PM10/29/01
On Mon, 29 Oct 2001 15:19:41 GMT,
swepett@thehighwaystar_sdfsdfsdf_.com (Svante Pettersson) wrote:

>"uffe" <ulfw...@bredband.net> vrute-a:
>
>>and speking abot record sells ritchie has sold a lot more
>>records than pagey!!!
>
>I would like to see some figures about that. I'm not so sure about who
>sold most.

He's talking about before they were famous, they used to work in a
record store. Page, however, only for a short time, therefore
Blackmore sold a lot more records than Page.

Tom

lowend1

Oct 29, 2001, 5:07:25 PM10/29/01
in article bwfD7.40746$pb4.21...@news2.rdc2.tx.home.com, Terry Parker at

mister...@home.com wrote on 10/29/2001 11:32 AM:

> Who cares. He's still not a major player. Blackmore, Iommi same difference.
>
> Parker

Putz.

Gryphon

Oct 29, 2001, 6:56:52 PM10/29/01
"Jarl Sigurd" <jarls...@geocities.com> wrote in message news:<tNcD7.916$qb4....@tor-nn1.netcom.ca>...
> Which 70's guitarist do you think was the better player,
> Jimmy Page or Richie Blackmore? Which one do you
> enjoy listening to more? Which one would you say
> had the better sound?

I think it is the same thing as: "Which is the better guitar: the
strat or the paula?" My answer would be: both are unequalled, both
have their qualities,both inspired thounsands of imitators and both
cannot sound like the other one. Same thing with Page vs. Blackmore.

BTW, I don´t think that the amount of records they´ve sold is a good
indicator for measuring these players´ qualities.

Have fun!
Gryphon

Gamelan

Oct 29, 2001, 10:05:42 PM10/29/01

> Who cares. He's still not a major player. Blackmore, Iommi same
difference.

Your right, Blakmore only helped create a whole genre. Through his influnce
on Yngwie Malmsteen alone, Blackmore shaped a whole school of players.

Gamelan

Oct 29, 2001, 10:04:29 PM10/29/01

DEMENTED <KDEME...@AOL.COM> wrote in message

> Blackmore has outsold Page? where did you get that information?
> DEMENTED

Well, in their work apart from Deep Purple and Led Zeppelin, Blackmore has
been far more commmercially succesful then Page. Whoe sold more records,
Rainbow or the Firm? C'mon.

Terry Parker

Oct 29, 2001, 7:22:55 PM10/29/01
Yep, their both second rate players.

Parker

"Rex Mundi" <vi...@crime.org> wrote in message

Terry Parker

Oct 29, 2001, 7:26:20 PM10/29/01
The Firm had one album. And were together for what, one tour? Deep Purple
has been in the background for years... never attaining greatness.

Parker

"Gamelan" <boba...@rcn.com> wrote in message

Fabian J Lelo

Oct 29, 2001, 7:49:34 PM10/29/01
Well this goes to show that you're a Zeppelin sheep and not a Purple fan one
way or the other.

My vote:

BLACKMORE BY A LANDSLIDE!!!

FVD.
--
"I love the Blues,
They tell my story,

"Terry Parker" <mister...@home.com> wrote in message

Fabian J Lelo

Oct 29, 2001, 7:52:04 PM10/29/01
SECOND RATE!?!?!?!?!

You tastes in music are limited buddy.

FVD.
--
"I love the Blues,
They tell my story,

"Terry Parker" <mister...@home.com> wrote in message

Fabian J Lelo

Oct 29, 2001, 7:53:04 PM10/29/01
That's all Jarl is good at Svante. Ignore him he's bad news.

FVD.
--
"I love the Blues,
They tell my story,

"Svante Pettersson" <swepett@thehighwaystar_sdfsdfsdf_.com> wrote in message

Fabian J Lelo

Oct 29, 2001, 7:54:50 PM10/29/01
He IS a troll hands down. Just a lame attempt to get other people to listen
to his dreadful music.

FVD.
--
"I love the Blues,
They tell my story,

"Killans - First And Last And Always" <mcol...@nyx.net> wrote in message

grantco

Oct 29, 2001, 8:53:28 PM10/29/01

"Terry Parker" <mister...@home.com> wrote in message

> The Firm had one album. And were together for what, one tour?

The Firm had two albums......

COROMANDEL

Oct 29, 2001, 9:00:47 PM10/29/01
The worst guitarist I have seen live is Jimmy Page and that includes the
worst singing ever by that Janis Joplin wannabe Robert Plant. Page is
strictly a studio musician with a talent for stealing quite a few songs by
others and rearranging them blatantly. In fact, other guitarists actually
play Page's arrangements better than himself but then they don't have his
talent for writing songs even if it is borrowed or stolen. The studio smoke
and mirrors arrangements of zeppelin fall flat live and degenerate into
plain heavy metal noise.

Blackmore transcended guitar playing from where Hendrix ended but then
Hendrix never had the opportunity to be pushed by equally talented virtuoso
musicians in the forms of Lord, Paice, Gillan, Glover, Coverdale and
Hughes. The sheer range and breadth of Deep Purple and its offspring bands
is only one of the proofs why zeppelin is minor league in real talent.

--
Y4K?
Jarl Sigurd wrote in message ...

>Which 70's guitarist do you think was the better player,
>Jimmy Page or Richie Blackmore? Which one do you
>enjoy listening to more? Which one would you say
>had the better sound?

irmscher

Oct 29, 2001, 9:23:51 PM10/29/01
"Terry Parker" <mister...@home.com> wrote in message news:<AxfD7.40749$pb4.21...@news2.rdc2.tx.home.com>...

Both in the same category?!? By what standards? It's obvious that you
don't know your music. Quit trolling and shut up.

Electric Sun

Oct 29, 2001, 10:19:23 PM10/29/01

> I'd guess Zep has easily outsold Deep Purple and Black Sabbath.

LZ may outsold DP, but LZ+solo is way DOWN compare with DP+solo.

Sales does NOT reflect MUSICAL value.
Sales means how any particular band/record were promoted by record Co.'s.

As an example:
HEAD MACHINE-Orgasm LP(pre-Uriah Heep Ken Hensley) can be valued very high
mucically, but in sales.....
You can find 100's of LP/bands that were very low in sales, but that does
not mean that these does not have any musical value.

Those who value band/LP by the sales, remind me what I seen:
people who come to record store, buy billboard, look at charts and then buy
#1 LP/CD

Electric Sun

Oct 29, 2001, 10:22:16 PM10/29/01

> The Firm had two albums......

.....very big success....

These 2 LPs of FIRM aren't worth even 1 song from Rainbow Rising LP

Electric Sun

Oct 29, 2001, 10:33:07 PM10/29/01

"Terry Parker" <mister...@home.com> wrote in message

> Yep, their both second rate players.
>
> Parker

You can find 1000's of guitar players who can play as good as anyone who is
famous guitar player.

SONGWRITTING skills matters while definening every MUSICIAN.
Pagey couldn't write songs away from LZ, while RB could.
Need I mention "Gates Of Babylon"? or many others as well comparing to Pagey
written "songs"?

Pagey isn't even considered as very good session guitarist.
Not comparission on this tread, but Steve Lukather stays way on top on Pagey
when it comes to session guitarists.
Ask musicians- they will tell you the same.

Electric Sun

Oct 29, 2001, 10:35:22 PM10/29/01

> SECOND RATE!?!?!?!?!
>
> You tastes in music are limited buddy.

I would say, shortsighted vission about musician as a player and as a
songwritter.

Electric Sun

Oct 29, 2001, 10:41:11 PM10/29/01

> > Which 70's guitarist do you think was the better player,
> > Jimmy Page or Richie Blackmore?

Uli Jon Roth...:)

AMost2001

Oct 29, 2001, 11:38:06 PM10/29/01
<< Pagey isn't even considered as very good session guitarist.
Not comparission on this tread, but Steve Lukather stays way on top on Pagey
when it comes to session guitarists. >>

Apples & Oranges dewd.

wereoboy

Oct 30, 2001, 1:09:51 AM10/30/01
swepett@thehighwaystar_sdfsdfsdf_.com (Svante Pettersson) wrote in message news:<3bde72eb...@news.one.se>...
> "Jarl Sigurd" <jarls...@geocities.com> vrute-a:

> >Which 70's guitarist do you think was the better player,
> >Jimmy Page or Richie Blackmore? Which one do you
> >enjoy listening to more? Which one would you say
> >had the better sound?
>
> You're just trolling, right?
>
> >Jarl Sigurd
>
> Wasn't that Wereoboy's trolling friend?
>
> /Svante

No, Svantzie. He's not. For those of us in America, the telephone
number to report Jarl Sigurd for inappropriate use of the newsgroups
is ATT Canada @888.655.7670. In fact I was on the phone with ATT
Canada this morning and the gentleman told me I don't have enough
information on Jarl Sigurd to make a phone complaint against him yet.

So I've just printed out this Subject Starter and will be on the phone
with ATT Canada again very shortly. I don't mind this clown posting
topics but he crosses the line each & every time he posts his crummy
URL down on the bottom with every post. If I can't do it, then no one
else shall be able to do it either.

See below for more info on this Jarl Sigurd harassment matter...

Scott

wereoboy

Oct 30, 2001, 1:16:43 AM10/30/01
The organization for reporting the incessant spamming of the troll
Jarl Sigurd is ATT Canada. The telephone number for verbal complaints
against him is 888.655.7670.

Here is his full text with headers. Notice where it says "X-Complaints
to:"

From: "Jarl Sigurd" <jarls...@geocities.com>
Newsgroups: rec.music.makers.guitar,alt.guitar.amps,alt.music.led-zeppelin,alt.music.deep-purple
Subject: Jimmy Page vs Richie Blackmore?
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2001 05:30:06 -0800

Mark Keith

Oct 30, 2001, 2:33:39 AM10/30/01
"Jarl Sigurd" <jarls...@geocities.com> wrote in message news:<tNcD7.916$qb4....@tor-nn1.netcom.ca>...
> Which 70's guitarist do you think was the better player,
> Jimmy Page or Richie Blackmore? Which one do you
> enjoy listening to more? Which one would you say
> had the better sound?
>
> Jarl Sigurd

Page was on a different planet compared to Blackmore. I like listening
to both, but Page has a much larger catalog of sounds. Many more
tricks with other weird instruments, bows, yada yada...And kicks major
butt unplugged. Some of Zeps best music was the acoustical sounding
stuff with the mandolins and all those weird instruments he digs up.
MK

David Meadows

Oct 30, 2001, 2:29:59 AM10/30/01
"grantco" <gra...@greenbaynet.com> wrote in message

So a fair measure would be to compare the sales of those two albums with the
first two Rainbow albums... NOT. The audience had changed. It was a
different decade. Record-buying patterns had changed. I don't think
measuring record sales will tell you much. Maybe you could compare the
ticket sales of Plant & Page with Deep Purple from the that Plant & Page
toured... was that '98?

--
David Meadows / smart & funny
"The hand of God slipped when it was pouring the talent

Svante Pettersson

Oct 30, 2001, 3:15:19 AM10/30/01
"Terry Parker" <mister...@home.com> vrute-a:

>Yep, their both second rate players.

Ok, that's your opinion. Who, in your opinion, is first rate then?

Svante Pettersson

Oct 30, 2001, 3:17:02 AM10/30/01
"Terry Parker" <mister...@home.com> vrute-a:

>Deep Purple
>has been in the background for years... never attaining greatness.

Greatness as in great players or well-known?

Miles O'Neal

Oct 30, 2001, 3:23:34 AM10/30/01
Svante Pettersson wrote:

> "Terry Parker" <mister...@home.com> vrute-a:
>
> >Deep Purple
> >has been in the background for years... never attaining greatness.
>
> Greatness as in great players or well-known?

I can only guess that he means "prominence within
his personal playlist".

Anthony

Oct 30, 2001, 9:47:36 PM10/30/01
hang on , that's two of Jarl's brains to his penis.

DEMENTED

Oct 30, 2001, 7:26:49 AM10/30/01
That could be because Blackmore has been out of Deep Purple longer than
Page has been out of Zeppelin. If you want to take it in that
direction....think of all the studio work Page has done on albums by bands
that have sold millions and add that to his list of accomplishments. He was
on many other bands albums in the earlier 60's. The Kinks, the Who,
etc.etc., plus the Yardbirds stuff.
And don't forget Coverdale/Page, Page&Plant,the Honeydrippers, shall I go
on?
DEMENTED

DEMENTED

Oct 30, 2001, 7:29:03 AM10/30/01
And Page hasn't?

DEMENTED

> Terry Parker <mister...@home.com> wrote in message
> > Who cares. He's still not a major player. Blackmore, Iommi same
> difference.
>
> Your right, Blakmore only helped create a whole genre. Through his
influnce
> on Yngwie Malmsteen alone, Blackmore shaped a whole school of players.
>
> > "Jeff Liberatore" <jlb...@westcamp.com> wrote in message
> > > Dude... Blackmore was in deep Purple not Black Sabbath.
> > >
> > > Blackmore is a monster player.

rec.music.makers.guitar,alt.guitar.amps,alt.music.led-zeppelin,alt.music.dee
> > p-

Gamelan

Oct 30, 2001, 11:00:50 AM10/30/01
When God plays guitar, He sounds like Uli Jon Roth.

Electric Sun <gint...@earthlink.net> wrote in message

Dan Stanley

Oct 30, 2001, 8:04:29 AM10/30/01

"Electric Sun" <gint...@earthlink.net> wrote in message

Oh, no, I wasn't suggesting LZ was "better" than DP ( or vice versa).
Someone said that Blackmore has "outsold" Page, I just commented on that.

I like 'em both. Blackmore does what he does, Page does what he does,
neither can do everything the other does. Thank goodness both had success.

Dan

englishrob

Oct 30, 2001, 8:29:30 AM10/30/01

Gamelan <boba...@rcn.com> wrote in message
Lets hope that God doesn't sing like Uli Jon Roth
Rob

Terry Parker

Oct 30, 2001, 9:55:12 AM10/30/01
If you want to talk about great session guitarists check Page's pre-Zep and
even pre-Yardbirds stuff.

Parker

"Electric Sun" <gint...@earthlink.net> wrote in message

Terry Parker

Oct 30, 2001, 10:04:48 AM10/30/01
You're right Mark. Page's acoustic work is excellent, but gets overlooked
often. And Page was very inventive when trying out new ways of playing. One
simple instance was when he played his guitar with a violin bow. If I
remember correctly, a friend's father was playing his violin and Page asked
if he thought the bow would work with guitar. Thus, he gave it a try.
Weren't not talking genius here, just inventiveness and the will to give new
things a try. It worked well in concert as a crowd pleaser anyway.

Parker

"Mark Keith" <nm...@wt.net> wrote in message

Terry Parker

Oct 30, 2001, 10:10:01 AM10/30/01
Both.

Parker

"Svante Pettersson" <swepett@thehighwaystar_sdfsdfsdf_.com> wrote in message

Astarte

Oct 29, 2001, 5:06:21 PM10/29/01
Zep sold waaaay more than Purple.. FACT*

tyre

> "uffe" <ulfw...@bredband.net> vrute-a:

> >and speking abot record sells ritchie has sold a lot more
> >records than pagey!!!
>

> I would like to see some figures about that. I'm not so sure about who
> sold most.

Astarte

Oct 29, 2001, 5:06:59 PM10/29/01
from alt.complete-bullshit.rumours

"DEMENTED" <KDEME...@AOL.COM> wrote in message
> Blackmore has outsold Page? where did you get that information?
> DEMENTED
> uffe <ulfw...@bredband.net> wrote in message
> > He owes a lot to Ozzy for his
> > minimal amount of fame???????? we are takling about ritchie here not
> > iommi!!!!!!!and speking abot record sells ritchie has sold a lot more
> > records than pagey!!!

> > "Terry Parker" <mister...@home.com> skrev i meddelandet
> > > Page was far and away the better player/producer/all around studio
man.
> > Page
> > > was more inventive and focused in his playing and song writing (yes,
> Page
> > > was sloppy at times, but that makes his playing more real in some
> > respects).
> > > Page was way more commercially successful. And Page is considered an
"A
> > > list" player. Blackmore was mediocre at best. He owes a lot to Ozzy
for
> > his
> > > minimal amount of fame... not his playing prowess. And I'll add the
> > > obligatory... IMHO!
> > >
> > > Parker

Svante Pettersson

Oct 30, 2001, 11:32:45 AM10/30/01
"Astarte" <lfal...@bellsouth.net> vrute-a:

>Zep sold waaaay more than Purple.. FACT*

Numbers and source, please.

Svante Pettersson

Oct 30, 2001, 11:42:00 AM10/30/01
"Dan Stanley" <vze2...@verizon.net> vrute-a:

>Oh, no, I wasn't suggesting LZ was "better" than DP ( or vice versa).
>Someone said that Blackmore has "outsold" Page, I just commented on that.

Same here. We (=we who do a Deep Purple website at deep-purple.com)
get a lot of questions about how many records DP has sold but it's
very hard to get reliable figures. I was hoping maybe someone in the
other groups maybe had some actual figures about how each band sold.
But as usual it turns out this thread gets into a "my dad is stronger
than your dad" war as usual on the net.

>I like 'em both. Blackmore does what he does, Page does what he does,
>neither can do everything the other does. Thank goodness both had success.

I absolutely agree.

One thought: Blackmore has also been flirting with Eastern influences
from time to time. I would love to hear Blackmore do stuff like
Page&Plant did on the "No Quarter" album and the MTV Unledded show.

Svante Pettersson

Oct 30, 2001, 11:43:18 AM10/30/01
"Terry Parker" <mister...@home.com> vrute-a:

>often. And Page was very inventive when trying out new ways of playing. One
>simple instance was when he played his guitar with a violin bow.

About as inventive as when RB plays with his cable or his boots. He
he.

kaetae

Oct 30, 2001, 11:43:55 AM10/30/01

I attended the Jimmy Page, Black Crows concert in Chicago last year.
Had a front row center seat.

I sat directly in front of Page playing through an Orange amp.
I could not hear the PA at all, only the stage monitors and amps.

His playing was perfect but his sound was terrible. Just loud and
shrill.
I suppose the PA sound was totally different.

Pt

Svante Pettersson

Oct 30, 2001, 11:44:51 AM10/30/01
"Terry Parker" <mister...@home.com> vrute-a:

>> >Deep Purple
>> >has been in the background for years... never attaining greatness.
>>
>> Greatness as in great players or well-known?
>

>Both.

Ah. First, I agree with "Electic Sun" that number of sold records
doesn't indicate how good someone is. But, how do you explain the
millions and millions of records DP sold if they weren't known?

Astarte

Oct 30, 2001, 11:20:52 AM10/30/01
i thought we were simply comparing solo careers of Blackmore and Page,
though..
not the Firm to Rainbow.. Which sucked when Joe Lynn Turner lamed them all
out..
tyre

"David Meadows" <da...@no.spam.here.co.uk> wrote in message

Astarte

Oct 30, 2001, 11:19:11 AM10/30/01
Rainbow was one band ....Blackmore solo is relatively non-existent in
sales..Page had many solo efforts.. Firm, Coverdale/ Page.....Outrider,
Willie and the Poor Boys.. Honey Drippers.. On Robert solo stuff..and Now
Page & Crowes and Puff Daddy/Page..
If you include samples he has played on the BEastie Boys records too..:)

tyre

"Gamelan" <boba...@rcn.com> wrote in message

> DEMENTED <KDEME...@AOL.COM> wrote in message
> > Blackmore has outsold Page? where did you get that information?
> > DEMENTED
>

> Well, in their work apart from Deep Purple and Led Zeppelin, Blackmore has
> been far more commmercially succesful then Page. Whoe sold more records,
> Rainbow or the Firm? C'mon.

Kramer

Oct 30, 2001, 12:34:56 PM10/30/01
Didn't Jimmy Page write the music for "DEATH WISH II"??

That was a great movie! :o)

wereoboy

Oct 30, 2001, 1:36:42 PM10/30/01
"Anthony" <bron...@iprimus.com.au> wrote in message news:<9rlsvi$ulp66$1...@ID-82947.news.dfncis.de>...

> hang on , that's two of Jarl's brains to his penis.

hehe Anthony :-)

Would you care to join me in my quest to have this invasive spamming
pain in the ass remvoed from the internet? The complaining number to
his apparent ISP, ATT Canada, is 888.655.7670 and thanks for reminding
me to follow up on my FIRST call to that telephone number.

Scott

ryanm

Oct 30, 2001, 1:51:02 PM10/30/01

> That could be because Blackmore has been out of Deep Purple longer than
> Page has been out of Zeppelin. If you want to take it in that
> direction....think of all the studio work Page has done on albums by bands
> that have sold millions and add that to his list of accomplishments. He
was
> on many other bands albums in the earlier 60's. The Kinks, the Who,
> etc.etc., plus the Yardbirds stuff.
> And don't forget Coverdale/Page, Page&Plant,the Honeydrippers, shall I go
> on?
> DEMENTED

He also played on some of Joe Cocker's stuff, like the "With a Little
Help From My Friends" album, which sold quite a few copies...

ryanm

DEMENTED

Oct 30, 2001, 1:13:29 PM10/30/01

Kramer <obso...@online.no> wrote in message

> Didn't Jimmy Page write the music for "DEATH WISH II"??
>
> That was a great movie! :o)
>
> YES, YES HE DID

Killans - First And Last And Always

Oct 30, 2001, 2:11:54 PM10/30/01
In article <VkBD7.86299$B3.24...@e3500-atl2.usenetserver.com>,

Astarte <lfal...@bellsouth.net> wrote:
>Rainbow was one band ....Blackmore solo is relatively non-existent in
>sales..

Blackmore solo is pretty much non-existent in terms of recordings. His
non-DP releases have mostly been with Rainbow & Blackmore's Night, or
in pre-DP session material. IIRC, the only albums which simply carry
his name (rather than a band) are compilations like the "Rock Profile"
albums.

Mike

Kramer

Oct 30, 2001, 2:13:40 PM10/30/01

> >Rainbow was one band ....Blackmore solo is relatively non-existent in
> >sales..
>
> Blackmore solo is pretty much non-existent in terms of recordings. His
> non-DP releases have mostly been with Rainbow & Blackmore's Night, or
> in pre-DP session material.

Glenda Collins & The Outlaws's "If you've gotta pick a baby" is great! ;o)

Kramer

Oct 30, 2001, 2:14:46 PM10/30/01

> > Didn't Jimmy Page write the music for "DEATH WISH II"??
> >
> > That was a great movie! :o)
> >
> > YES, YES HE DID

Great! I liked that music!

David Meadows

Oct 30, 2001, 2:17:35 PM10/30/01
"Mark Keith" <nm...@wt.net> wrote in message
> "Jarl Sigurd" <jarls...@geocities.com> wrote in message
> > Which 70's guitarist do you think was the better player,
> > Jimmy Page or Richie Blackmore? Which one do you
> > enjoy listening to more? Which one would you say
> > had the better sound?
> >
> > Jarl Sigurd
>
> Page was on a different planet compared to Blackmore. I like listening
> to both, but Page has a much larger catalog of sounds. Many more
> tricks with other weird instruments, bows, yada yada...And kicks major
> butt unplugged. Some of Zeps best music was the acoustical sounding
> stuff with the mandolins and all those weird instruments he digs up.
> MK

I assume, then, that you haven't heard Blackmore play lute, mandolin, bass
guitar, guitar synth, cello... well, ok, I haven't heard him play cello
either, but apparently he does. I've heard and seen him play all the others.
Plugged and unplugged. And I haven't mentioned the hurdy gurdy, drum, and
tambourine. And he plays quite a lot of acoustic guitar: folk, classical,
flamenco, etc, etc. I've never seen him use a bow, but I've seen him play
with his feet, his teeth, the back of his hand, his ring, beer bottles, the
corner of his amp, etc., etc.

So, what you seem to be saying is that you haven't seen very much of Ritchie
Blackmore's range, but based on the small bit you've seen, Page is better.
Which is a fair enough comment. I would have to say the same thing in
reverse (I haven't seen Page do much, but from the bits I've seen Blackmore
is better).

DEMENTED

Oct 30, 2001, 1:53:16 PM10/30/01
Scott, get the hell outta here. This is a serious ng.
wereoboy <were...@earthlink.net> wrote in message

Hans Ã…ge Holmen

Oct 30, 2001, 2:45:41 PM10/30/01
NUFF SAID
"Steve" <cutlip...@home.com> skrev i melding
> ...and Page owes all of his sucess to Alice Cooper //;^)

Mark Keith

Oct 30, 2001, 3:16:45 PM10/30/01
"Terry Parker" <mister...@home.com> wrote in message news:<kkzD7.42564$pb4.22...@news2.rdc2.tx.home.com>...

> You're right Mark. Page's acoustic work is excellent, but gets overlooked
> often. And Page was very inventive when trying out new ways of playing. One
> simple instance was when he played his guitar with a violin bow. If I
> remember correctly, a friend's father was playing his violin and Page asked
> if he thought the bow would work with guitar.

That "friend" was the guy that played "Kuriokin"sp> on man from uncle
TV show. "The blond guy". His dad played in an orchestra and was the
one to suggest that Page try a bow. The rest as they say is history...
MK

Rex Mundi

Oct 30, 2001, 3:22:23 PM10/30/01
Might I add that Page's use of the bow was not always music. Lot of noise.

"David Meadows" <da...@no.spam.here.co.uk> wrote in message

Terry Parker

Oct 30, 2001, 4:18:16 PM10/30/01
I agree. It was mostly for showmanship.

Parker

"Rex Mundi" <vi...@crime.org> wrote in message

Terry Parker

Oct 30, 2001, 4:19:40 PM10/30/01
Thanks Mark. Nice bit of trivia.

Parker

"Mark Keith" <nm...@wt.net> wrote in message

Miles O'Neal

Oct 30, 2001, 4:57:11 PM10/30/01
> > "Terry Parker" <mister...@home.com> wrote in message
> > > Blackmore was mediocre at best. He owes a lot to Ozzy for his
> > > minimal amount of fame... not his playing prowess.

Are you perhaps confusing Blackmore with someone else?
Or did I just sleep through the time he and Ozzy were
in a band together? Or were you trying to make some
other point (and failed)?

-Miles

Killans - First And Last And Always

Oct 30, 2001, 5:32:28 PM10/30/01
In article <W_CD7.3370$Fr3....@news1.oke.nextra.no>,

Oh, yeah, there are some great 60's session tracks on those compilations!

Personally, I'd love to hear a similar release compiling some of Jon Lord's
pre-DP materiel. I know the (excellent) Santa Barbara Machine Head tracks
have appeared on millions of compilations (usually alongside the session
blues tracks Page did with Clapton), but there must be more recordings
than that, surely?

Mike

David Meadows

Oct 30, 2001, 5:38:30 PM10/30/01
To be fair, I would have to say the same about some of the "techniques"
Blackmore uses.

"Terry Parker" <mister...@home.com> wrote in message

Svante Pettersson

Oct 30, 2001, 6:01:05 PM10/30/01
"Rex Mundi" <vi...@crime.org> vrute-a:

>Might I add that Page's use of the bow was not always music. Lot of noise.

Noise can also be music. I think both Page and Blackmore has shown
that.

JGibbes

Oct 30, 2001, 7:56:40 PM10/30/01
In article <jRnD7.3218$2N3.47...@newssvr17.news.prodigy.com>, "COROMANDEL"
<corom...@MCI2000.com> writes:

> Page is strictly a studio musician with a talent for stealing quite a few
songs by
>others and rearranging them blatantly.

That is just not true. Many of the songs he stole were not rearranged at all,
and some were rearranged by Jeff Beck and Rod Stewart.

wereoboy

Oct 30, 2001, 8:18:22 PM10/30/01
"DEMENTED" <KDEME...@AOL.COM> wrote in message news:<3bdf0174$0$11281$4c41...@reader1.ash.ops.us.uu.net>...

> Scott, get the hell outta here. This is a serious ng.

I fail to see the correlation between this being a "serious newsgroup"
and you wanting me to "get the hell out of here."

What is the connection? I for one don't get it :o

:wondering:

Scott

Anthony

Oct 30, 2001, 8:39:43 PM10/30/01
"DEMENTED" <KDEME...@AOL.COM> wrote in message news:<3bdf0174$0$11281$4c41...@reader1.ash.ops.us.uu.net>...
No if we got rid of Jarl we'd turn on ourselves.

Jim Asherman

Oct 30, 2001, 10:14:36 PM10/30/01
I am not even gonna read the rest of thease posts.
Blackmore is a hack.
Page for all his slop was/is one of the absolute innovators of rock guitar.
Much of deep purple's music doews not hold up well over the years.
despite what you may think of plant''s singing or lyrics thet are still better
than purple.
after all just listen to highway star. Is that great art?
Now try dazed and confused.
AAHHH that's better.
Jim
Old Posthumous

COROMANDEL wrote:

> The worst guitarist I have seen live is Jimmy Page and that includes the
> worst singing ever by that Janis Joplin wannabe Robert Plant. Page is

> strictly a studio musician with a talent for stealing quite a few songs by

> others and rearranging them blatantly. In fact, other guitarists actually
> play Page's arrangements better than himself but then they don't have his
> talent for writing songs even if it is borrowed or stolen. The studio smoke
> and mirrors arrangements of zeppelin fall flat live and degenerate into
> plain heavy metal noise.
>
> Blackmore transcended guitar playing from where Hendrix ended but then
> Hendrix never had the opportunity to be pushed by equally talented virtuoso
> musicians in the forms of Lord, Paice, Gillan, Glover, Coverdale and
> Hughes. The sheer range and breadth of Deep Purple and its offspring bands
> is only one of the proofs why zeppelin is minor league in real talent.
>
> --
> Y4K?
> Jarl Sigurd wrote in message ...

> >Which 70's guitarist do you think was the better player,
> >Jimmy Page or Richie Blackmore? Which one do you
> >enjoy listening to more? Which one would you say
> >had the better sound?
> >
> >Jarl Sigurd

Wes Hutchings

Oct 30, 2001, 10:28:05 PM10/30/01

> From: Jim Asherman <jim...@optonline.net>
> Newsgroups:
> rec.music.makers.guitar,alt.guitar.amps,alt.music.led-zeppelin,alt.music.deep-
> purple
> Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2001 03:14:36 GMT
> Subject: Re: Jimmy Page vs Richie Blackmore?

> I am not even gonna read the rest of thease posts.

Yeah, why confuse you. Your mind is made up.
Enjoy.

> Blackmore is a hack.

Really? Based upon what?

> Page for all his slop was/is one of the absolute innovators of rock guitar.

So he did everything first?
Think about that.

> Much of deep purple's music doews not hold up well over the years.

Actually it holds up remarkably well.

> despite what you may think of plant''s singing or lyrics thet are still better
> than purple.

Depends on the song comparison you use.

> after all just listen to highway star. Is that great art?

To some, yes it is. No one gets to define what is and isn't art.

> Now try dazed and confused.

Hardly a valid comparison.

> AAHHH that's better.

Than some, but not all.

Try making a broader base comparison.

wes

Gamelan

Oct 31, 2001, 1:36:20 AM10/31/01
Well, Dazed and confused wasn't written by Page. He bought the rights of the
songs off some guy in New York when he was touring with the Yardbirds.

Wes Hutchings <yyr...@cwnet.com> wrote in message

Miles O'Neal

Oct 30, 2001, 10:49:36 PM10/30/01
Jim Asherman wrote:

> I am not even gonna read the rest of thease posts.

Then why post?

> Blackmore is a hack.

Right. Just like Page.

> Page for all his slop was/is one of the absolute innovators of rock guitar.

And one of the biggest ripoff artists of rock guitar.

> Much of deep purple's music doews not hold up well over the years.

And much *does*.

> despite what you may think of plant''s singing or lyrics thet are still better
> than purple.

Nope. Lots of good stuff from both of them.

> after all just listen to highway star. Is that great art?

As a matter of fact, yes. At least as good as...

> Now try dazed and confused.
> AAHHH that's better.

Nope. Both great songs by great bands, with great guitar leads.

But since you crawled back under your covers
so we won't scare you, you'll never know.
Oh, well.

Electric Sun

Oct 31, 2001, 12:58:37 AM10/31/01

"Killans - First And Last And Always" <mcol...@nyx.net> wrote in message

What about Green Bullfrog? Is it bad?
I'd say- it's very exellent LP.

> Mike

Not A Speck Of Cereal

Oct 31, 2001, 3:18:32 AM10/31/01
As "ryanm" <ry...@drunkenbastards.net> so eloquently put:
[] "DEMENTED" <KDEME...@AOL.COM> wrote in message

[] news:3bdea2e6$0$11281$4c41...@reader1.ash.ops.us.uu.net...
[] > That could be because Blackmore has been out of Deep Purple longer than
[] > Page has been out of Zeppelin.

Page quit Zeppelin?!? Bummer d00d!

[] He also played on some of Joe Cocker's stuff, like the "With a Little

[] Help From My Friends" album, which sold quite a few copies...

Who played that gawd awful solo-break on Cocker's "Came in Through the
Bathroom Window"? Oy!

Chris

----
"There is hope in men, not in society, not in systems, not in
organized religious systems, but in you and in me."
-- J. Krishnamurti
Remove X's from my email address above to reply
[These opinions are personal views only and only my personal views]

Not A Speck Of Cereal

Oct 31, 2001, 3:19:50 AM10/31/01
As "Terry Parker" <mister...@home.com> so eloquently put:
[] Yep, their both second rate players.

Compared to what?

Not A Speck Of Cereal

Oct 31, 2001, 3:24:03 AM10/31/01
As were...@earthlink.net (wereoboy) so eloquently put:
[] "DEMENTED" <KDEME...@AOL.COM> wrote in message news:<3bdf0174$0$11281$4c41...@reader1.ash.ops.us.uu.net>...

[] > Scott, get the hell outta here. This is a serious ng.
[]
[] I fail to see the correlation between this being a "serious newsgroup"
[] and you wanting me to "get the hell out of here."

I fail to see the correlation between "serious" and "newsgroup" --
this is usenet people!

Ta-ta, aloha.
Chris

Svante Pettersson

Oct 31, 2001, 3:44:35 AM10/31/01
Jim Asherman <jim...@optonline.net> vrute-a:

>I am not even gonna read the rest of thease posts.
>Blackmore is a hack.
>Page for all his slop was/is one of the absolute innovators of rock guitar.
>Much of deep purple's music doews not hold up well over the years.
>despite what you may think of plant''s singing or lyrics thet are still better
>than purple.
>after all just listen to highway star. Is that great art?
>Now try dazed and confused.

What would be really interesting is to see what group these people are
regulars in. Can we guess Mr. Asherman is a aml-z regular?

/Svante - the amd-p camp

Svante Pettersson

Oct 31, 2001, 3:49:48 AM10/31/01
swepett@thehighwaystar_sdfsdfsdf_.com (Svante Pettersson) vrute-a:

>Can we guess Mr. X is a aml-z regular?

I just realised that this might have been offending to aml-z regulars.
That was not my intent and I'm sorry.

/Svante

ryanm

Oct 31, 2001, 4:06:12 AM10/31/01

"Not A Speck Of Cereal" <Xchriss...@Xhome.comX> wrote in message

> As "ryanm" <ry...@drunkenbastards.net> so eloquently put:
> [] "DEMENTED" <KDEME...@AOL.COM> wrote in message
> [] news:3bdea2e6$0$11281$4c41...@reader1.ash.ops.us.uu.net...
> [] > That could be because Blackmore has been out of Deep Purple longer
than
> [] > Page has been out of Zeppelin.
>
> Page quit Zeppelin?!? Bummer d00d!
>
> [] He also played on some of Joe Cocker's stuff, like the "With a
Little
> [] Help From My Friends" album, which sold quite a few copies...
>
> Who played that gawd awful solo-break on Cocker's "Came in Through the
> Bathroom Window"? Oy!

Different album, different band. I know Leon Russel sometimes played it
during Mad Dogs and Englishmen. Good musicians on "A Little Help" though,
Winwood, Page, Al Cooper, etc...

ryanm

Lugosi

Oct 31, 2001, 7:26:14 AM10/31/01

Once Blackmore grew his little moustache he did, kinda-sorta, look a bit
like Iommi...

/John

It is loading more messages.