Who was in the "Shindogs"?

Pete Kerez

Jan 6, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/6/98

Hearing of Sonny Bono's death on the news this morning created a memory draft
in what passes for my brain and i got to thinking of the first time i saw him
and Cher on abc's "shindig" tv program performing "the beat goes on", i thought
it was a hilarious send-up.

Shindig had a house band, the Shindogs, with members who achieved further
stature in show biz. I'm fairly sure that Glen Campbell, Leon Russell and
Delany Bramlett (Bonnie and Delany) were shindogs, can anyone confirm or deny?
Anyone know who else was a shindog?

Texas Pete
Pete Kerezman (pete...@aol.com)

Jomack

Jan 6, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/6/98

>>>I'm fairly sure that Glen Campbell, Leon Russell and
Delany Bramlett (Bonnie and Delany) were shindogs, can anyone confirm or deny?
Anyone know who else was a shindog?<<<

Add Billy Preston and James Burton (at least for the show with Howlin Wolf).
I was under the impression, gleaned from a Leon Russell lyric "I used to dance
for A.B.C.", that Leon was a Shindig Dancer, or am I being too literal?
Joe

Mike Healy

Jan 6, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/6/98

In article <19980106135...@ladder01.news.aol.com>,

Pete Kerez <pete...@aol.com> wrote:
> Hearing of Sonny Bono's death on the news this morning created a memory draft
>in what passes for my brain and i got to thinking of the first time i saw him
>and Cher on abc's "shindig" tv program performing "the beat goes on", i thought
>it was a hilarious send-up.

First time I saw them was either on Shindig or Go Go Go Where the Action Is
(wasn't that the one where Paul Revere and the Raiders were the house band?)
doing "I Got You Babe". He was wearing this furry vest which looked kinda
funny even back then.

Mike Healy

he...@nosc.mil

Mike Hartigan

Jan 7, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/7/98

Mike Healy unwittingly graced us with:
: In article <19980106135...@ladder01.news.aol.com>,
:

Paul Revere, et al, routinely performed on that show waist deep in the
water. No wireless equipment in those days!

--
+-------------------------------------///--------------------------+
| | /// |

Pete Kerez

Jan 7, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/7/98

In article <690c93$mpq$1...@nntp3.interaccess.com>, hart...@interaccess.com (Mike
Hartigan) writes:

<< Paul Revere, et al, routinely performed on that show waist deep in the
water. No wireless equipment in those days!

I'm certain they were all plugged in, too, the thrill-seeking fools. A band
with their integrity would never lip-synch, eh. They sure looked stupid in
those paul revere suits standing in that water, though.

Who else was in the Shindogs? No, Leon Russell didn't dance on the show.

Patrick f. coleman

Jan 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/8/98

Wow..James Burton was the only 'famous' person I knew who was in the
shindogs...
I should get my Guitar Players out and look this up..
I 'think' Leons line about ABC had to do with his session work...I
don't know for sure though.
I know this... I hated the name shindogs.. but I loved the band.. this
was on when my brother and I first started guitar and they knocked us
out all the time.
twang!
patrick f. coleman
http://members.wbs.net/homepages/t/w/a/twangme.html

slapdad...@gmail.com

Mar 28, 2019, 1:03:16 PM3/28/19
Delaney was. Glen Hardin, James Burton, Joey Cooper and Chuck Blackwell. Leon played with them sometimes, and I think Carl Radle may have played bass with them some also.

Elaine Helms

Sep 14, 2023, 4:55:36 PM9/14/23
On Thursday, March 28, 2019 at 12:03:16 PM UTC-5, slapdad...@gmail.com wrote:
> Delaney was. Glen Hardin, James Burton, Joey Cooper and Chuck Blackwell. Leon played with them sometimes, and I think Carl Radle may have played bass with them some also.
You would also see Leon Russell playing with them as well as Glen Campbell but they were not official members of the band. They recorded their album on Russell’s label.