Request: Recommendation for a Lorne Lofsky CD

Max Smith

Jan 4, 2004, 1:33:30 AM1/4/04
Could someone familiar with Lorne Lofsky recommend a single (readily
available) CD that you consider his best?

Thanks,
Max

Byron Atkins

Jan 4, 2004, 5:27:28 AM1/4/04
Max Smith <sixstr...@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message news:<_sOJb.4360$xH2....@newssvr22.news.prodigy.com>...

> Could someone familiar with Lorne Lofsky recommend a single (readily
> available) CD that you consider his best?

Lorne's own CDs are hard to find and obtain, unless you want to mail
order from Canada. Two CDs under his own name are : (1) "Bill,
Please," JID 9307 and (2)Lorne Lofsky DSRD 31081. Both of these are on
the Jazz Inspiration label, which is very hard to locate. Neither
Amazon or Tower seemed to carry it when I was looking for these CDs.
Do a Google search on the Jazz Inspiration label and you may find the
Canadian distributors that carry them. Also check Lorne's web site and
he may have details how to buy these. Both CDs I've mentioned are very
good, "Bill, Please" might be a my preference but the other CD is
equally as good. The other CD that is easily obtainable is "This Is
New," on Concord with Ed Bickert. He is a great jazz player, very
underrated, very modern. He deserves more recognition than he gets. He
also has a couple of videos and one of them is just him playing with a
bass player, very good to watch.

Byron

Holger Weber

Jan 4, 2004, 8:59:10 AM1/4/04

"Byron Atkins" <aqq...@dsl.pipex.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag

His best work IMO is his debut recording on Pablo. Dunno if it was ever
released on CD.

Holger

Byron Atkins

Jan 4, 2004, 1:56:10 PM1/4/04
">
> His best work IMO is his debut recording on Pablo. Dunno if it was ever
> released on CD.

Holger, I respect you opinion but I do differ with you. I own the LP
you mentioned above. Although his playing is respectable on it, ("It
Could Happen to You," is the name of it) , I think his playing and
concept have both changed quite a bit since that time. His later style
somewhat mirrors a guitart's approach to Bill Evan's own piano
approach. He has also broken away from his reliance on Ed Bickert's
single line style, as displayed on the Unison record with Bickert and
also the Concord CD with Bickert. Lorne's style seems more free and
complex than it was previously though he still retains Bickert's
capasity for chordal voicings. I rarely listen to the Pablo LP anymore
as I much prefer his later playing. Lorne doesn't consider the Pablo
LP to reflect where he is today, according to an interview I read with
him. I would agree to agree with his assessment.

Byron

Dan Adler

Jan 4, 2004, 3:51:14 PM1/4/04
"Holger Weber" <hg_weber...@yahoo.de> wrote in message news:<bt964v$4am0e$1...@ID-45201.news.uni-berlin.de>...

> His best work IMO is his debut recording on Pablo. Dunno if it was ever
> released on CD.

All the recommendations made before are great, and I agree that this
one is a killer album as well. I remember how shocked I was when I
first heared his version of 'It Could Happen To You' on that album.
Probably sounds "in" now, but at the time, it was pretty novel.

-Dan
http://danadler.com

Byron Atkins

Aug 21, 2021, 1:26:25 AM8/21/21
This post is a long time after Jan 2004. I recently listened to Lorne's LP (It Could Happen to You) on Pablo and it's really a great LP. Lorne may not think it was some of his best work but really it was!!