Can you have too many guitars?

hotchkisstrio

Oct 17, 2007, 12:45:29 AM10/17/07
Seriously, can you?

And what is the proper response when your wife says "They all sound
the same to me!"??

And how do you decide what to keep sell if you do have too many?

danny...@cox.net

Oct 17, 2007, 1:13:34 AM10/17/07
On Oct 16, 9:45 pm, hotchkisstrio <paulyhotchk...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Seriously, can you?

No.

Danny W.

Nate Najar

Oct 17, 2007, 1:53:31 AM10/17/07

funny, i'm trying to pare down to the essentials. I've finally got
every guitar i've ever wanted, so i dont lust after guitars anymore.
but i've got a bunch of interim guitars that just sit there. the 4 i
use constantly are a nylon string, archtop, thinline and a strat.
Buscarino Cabaret, Gigmaster, Gibson 336 and a Suhr strat. I can
cover just about any gig with those. the only thing missing is a
steel string flattop, but i've never had a situation where i needed
one, so i don't own one.

problem is i have a few misc classicals, strats and archtops sitting
around. so yes i feel i have too many guitars!

i look at it like this, if you have an archtop that really works well
in your hands, why get another archtop? i don't need an l5, a
byrdland and an es175- just give me one that works for me. jazz boxes
luckily aren't like solidbodies electrics where guys grab different
guitars for different sounds and textures. we get a box and an amp
and make our sound and that's what we play with. i like it better
that way myself (says the guy who just ordered an axe fx!)

David J. Littleboy

Oct 17, 2007, 2:09:54 AM10/17/07

Come on, guy. Fess up. How many guitars do you own?

David J. Littleboy
Tokyo, Japan

holdgaj

Oct 17, 2007, 6:00:54 AM10/17/07
Yes, I find I spend too much time fixing them instead of playing them. I
just want one - but which one ?

--
------Holdgaj
holdgaj AT gmail DOT com
"Nate Najar" <na...@natenajar.com> wrote in message

jimmyb

Oct 17, 2007, 7:03:31 AM10/17/07
On Oct 17, 12:45 am, hotchkisstrio <paulyhotchk...@hotmail.com> wrote:

Yes you can, Stay with one to three. How are you going to get
comofrtable with more than that. everytime you pick up a new one, you
starting all over again. at least for me.

dunlop212

Oct 17, 2007, 8:52:15 AM10/17/07
It is like girlfriends. If you can work it out, it is better to keep
the old ones while acquiring new ones.

jimmyb

Oct 17, 2007, 9:04:53 AM10/17/07
On Oct 17, 8:52 am, dunlop212 <ed_ha...@bellsouth.net> wrote:
> It is like girlfriends. If you can work it out, it is better to keep
> the old ones while acquiring new ones.

Now THAT"S a great idea!

rpguitar

Oct 17, 2007, 9:13:08 AM10/17/07
You have too many when you have them resting on furniture and leaning
in hallways. Or when you have some that aren't played in a year's
time. Hello! I've been battling this for a while now.

The problem I find now is that the guitars I own were all hard-won,
laboriously searched for, and are excellent examples of their
respective species. Throw in a couple of extra fine, special
instruments that I designed and assembled with Warmoth and other
custom made components. And some other unique birds that are just
plain fun to play, even if just occasionally.

I do believe that it is a different thing to own 20 archtops though,
or 20 Strats... and that's actually "collecting" versus assembling a
wide range of different guitars with the goal of diversity as one's
main objective. Nothing wrong with the former approach, but having
one in every color is not MY personal thing.

tom walls

Oct 17, 2007, 9:52:38 AM10/17/07
In article <1192596329....@q5g2000prf.googlegroups.com>,
paulyho...@hotmail.com says...
> Seriously, can you?

How much space do you have?

> And what is the proper response when your wife says "They all sound
> the same to me!"??

I would snort and roll my eyes. YMMV

> And how do you decide what to keep sell if you do have too many?

Whatever is most easily replaced.

--
Tom Walls
the guy at the Temple of Zeus

steve

Oct 17, 2007, 10:02:01 AM10/17/07
On 17-Oct-2007, smacked up and reeling, hotchkisstrio
<paulyho...@hotmail.com> blindly formulated
the following incoherence:

> Seriously, can you?

It's kinda like excessive masturbation. It may be a sickness, but who wants
the cure?

> And what is the proper response when your wife says "They all sound
> the same to me!"??

Turn up the amp and smile demonically.

> And how do you decide what to keep sell if you do have too many?

Right now I wouldnt sell anything. Guitars arent selling well at all. Time
to buy, basically.

steve
--
"The accused will now make a bogus statement."
James Joyce

charles robinson

Oct 17, 2007, 10:59:01 AM10/17/07
I play one main axe all of the time while owning two others (mostly for back
up or if I want to mess around with something different like alto tuning).
The advantages include knowing the response at each point of the neck, the
exact amount of sustain that can be expected, consistent tone, and something
as simple as knowing how adjust your amp when you have to set up in a hurry.
Charlie

"jimmyb" <ji...@jimmybruno.com> wrote in message

Marc Why

Oct 17, 2007, 11:14:25 AM10/17/07
If I had the extra cash, I'd love to "collect" some nice guitars --
there are so many beautiful guitars being built out there!
However . . . from a gigging perspective, maybe having 2-3 makes sense
to me, and part of that is just for backup reasons if one is being
worked on. I don't play in other genres these days (rock, pop, etc.)
like some of you, so I don't need a strat, tele, LP, 335, PRS, etc. ad
nauseum, so really just owning a couple that I like is good.

I sold an incredible classical guitar a couple years ago (for a hefty
profit, too!) simply because I hadn't touched it for years. It was a
shame to let it go, but maybe more of a shame that the fine instrument
wasn't out there being used!

As for my wife -- who is wonderfully supportive! -- if she were to
ever ask about my wanting different guitars, I'd walk over to her
closet and look at her pile of shoes . . . . .

Ciao,
Marc

www.marcwhygroup.com
www.myspace.com/marcwhygroup

7/4

Oct 17, 2007, 11:15:24 AM10/17/07
No.

--
* David Beardsley
* microtonal guitar

Phil

Oct 17, 2007, 11:29:35 AM10/17/07
On Oct 17, 12:45 am, hotchkisstrio <paulyhotchk...@hotmail.com> wrote:

Ultimately I'd like to have four guitars: a hollowbody jazz guitar,
one Fender solidbody (probably a Telecaster), a 335 (Les Pauls are too
heavy), and a flattop. That really covers all my musical interests:
jazz, classic rock, country/western swing, folk/bluegrass.

I've always been a deal seeker/budget buyer, and I ended up with lots
of good, but not great guitars: a Hamer 335, Ibanez Strat-copy, Sigma
HD-28 style, etc. My strategy for pairing down has been: sell the two
good archtops (or teles, or flattops, or whatever) and get one really
nice one. It has worked out prettty well. For instance, I now have a
Martin D-18 V instead of a Sigma HD-28 and a mid-end Taylor.

Phil

Oct 17, 2007, 11:32:05 AM10/17/07

Yes, except most shoes aren't like $700+ a pair.

Derek

Oct 17, 2007, 11:34:50 AM10/17/07
For me, the answer is yes. I am in the process of thinning out the
herd. I still play rock/pop so I am keeping my strat and tele for
that, and my two Gibson archtops for jazz. I have a couple of
acoustics, Martin D28 (from deceased brother-in-law), and a Yairi 12
string.

That pretty much is it now. Gone or on ebay are the rest. I am still
agonizing over my PRS archtop, and whether to sell or keep. I am in
the process of simplifying my life and eliminating stuff all around.
I have grown weary of the idea that more is better.

I have found it sucks too much life out of me.

BTW, I have an Eastman 910 CE archtop, totally mint (maybe 4 hours on
it), in sapphire blue that is for sale if anyone is interested.

Mark Kleinhaut

Oct 17, 2007, 11:37:56 AM10/17/07
On Oct 17, 7:03 am, jimmyb <ji...@jimmybruno.com> wrote:
> Yes you can, Stay with one to three. How are you going to get
> comofrtable with more than that. everytime you pick up a new one, you
> starting all over again. at least for me.

I find that to be true too. By the way, when burning real books,
spare guitars can come in handy for exta firewood on the bonfire.
Pitchforks ready?

www.markkleinhaut.com

Joe Finn

Oct 17, 2007, 11:33:36 AM10/17/07
"hotchkisstrio" <paulyho...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

They all feel different. To get the most out of your instrument and your
playing style you've got to stick with one or maybe two.

I play my archtop everyday for three hours or so. I also use it in lessons
and on all my gigs. I have a second backup emergency archtop I never play,
but it's actually a really nice instrument. I sometimes play my classical
and I have an electric bass guitar that I play occasionally in lessons. I
have a Les Paul, a midi guitar, and some flat tops that haven't been touched
in years. I play my midi keyboard more than any of my guitars except for the
primary archtop.

I've found that my retired guitars are not worth a whole lot of money. I've
given some away to worthy students.
.....joe

--
Visit me on the web www.JoeFinn.net

dunlop212

Oct 17, 2007, 12:13:11 PM10/17/07

> Ultimately I'd like to have four guitars: a hollowbody jazz guitar,
> one Fender solidbody (probably a Telecaster), a 335 (Les Pauls are too
> heavy), and a flattop. That really covers all my musical interests:
> jazz, classic rock, country/western swing, folk/bluegrass.

You only need one rock and roll guitar; covered by a telecaster. You
can make a telecaster sound as bad as a 335 with pedals or something.

You need two archtops, carved and laminate. One to sound pretty
unplugged, one to play loud without feedback.

A flat top is unnecessary if you have a nice carved top.

I could see the argument for a classical if you play that style.

Derek Darling

Oct 17, 2007, 2:11:19 PM10/17/07
Saw a tee shirt that read....

My Wife Said if I get ONE MORE GUITAR She was gonna leave me....

.............Sure am gonna miss that girl!

dd

stringswinger

Oct 17, 2007, 2:42:00 PM10/17/07
You always need an extra guitar to burn after seeing someone like Pat
martino or Bireli Lagrene play live ;)

Cheers,

Marc

www.hotclubpacific.com

"Derek Darling" <derek....@telus.net> wrote in message

2sta...@gmail.com

Oct 17, 2007, 4:15:19 PM10/17/07
On Oct 16, 9:45 pm, hotchkisstrio <paulyhotchk...@hotmail.com> wrote:

There's a saying "I have too many guitars, but never enough." and the
old joke "How many guitars does a guitar player need? .....Just one
more." We've all bought and sold a couple guitars, including amps.

Archtops 6 & 7 string, Flattop, nylon string, 12 string, and
solidbody with light guage strings is all I want and already have.
What I have doesn't get much better so I've lost the desire to aquire
at least for now.

Recovering GASaholic,
Stan

Stan

Phil

Oct 17, 2007, 5:40:36 PM10/17/07
On Oct 17, 2:11 pm, "Derek Darling" <derek.darl...@telus.net> wrote:
> Saw a tee shirt that read....
>
> My Wife Said if I get ONE MORE GUITAR She was gonna leave me....
>
> .............Sure am gonna miss that girl!
>
> dd
>
> "hotchkisstrio" <paulyhotchk...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> > Seriously, can you?
>
> > And what is the proper response when your wife says "They all sound
> > the same to me!"??
>
> > And how do you decide what to keep sell if you do have too many?- Hide quoted text -

Buy two!

Michael L Kankiewicz

Oct 17, 2007, 8:02:45 PM10/17/07
On Wed, 17 Oct 2007, 2sta...@gmail.com wrote:

>> And what is the proper response when your wife says "They all sound
>> the same to me!"??

Reminds me of a line from the "Crazy" movie trailer. (Paraphrase) His
girl says "You love that thing more than me." and he answers "No, I just
known her longer."

I've owned one of my archtops since the late 70's. BW of 18 years doesn't
quite understand the emotional attachement.

> There's a saying "I have too many guitars, but never enough." and the
> old joke "How many guitars does a guitar player need? .....Just one
> more." We've all bought and sold a couple guitars, including amps.
>> Archtops 6 & 7 string, Flattop, nylon string, 12 string, and
> solidbody with light guage strings is all I want and already have.
> What I have doesn't get much better so I've lost the desire to aquire
> at least for now.

But you need *2* of each kind, in case something goes wrong with one of
them!

Gerry

Oct 17, 2007, 10:20:38 PM10/17/07
I think you can certainly have too many guitars. If I spend more than
20% of my leisure time dicking around with buying, selling, repairing,
trading, ogling, polishing and modifying guitars, I don't spend that
time playing music.

I spend about .5% of my time with such stuff, unless something breaks.

danny...@cox.net

Oct 17, 2007, 10:25:08 PM10/17/07
On Oct 16, 11:09 pm, "David J. Littleboy" <davi...@gol.com> wrote:

> Come on, guy. Fess up. How many guitars do you own?
>
> David J. Littleboy
> Tokyo, Japan

Too many :-)

But far fewer than previously.

Danny W.

danny...@cox.net

Oct 18, 2007, 3:09:33 AM10/18/07
On Oct 16, 11:09 pm, "David J. Littleboy" <davi...@gol.com> wrote:

> Come on, guy. Fess up. How many guitars do you own?
>
> David J. Littleboy
> Tokyo, Japan

imloafin

Oct 18, 2007, 3:26:06 AM10/18/07
On Oct 17, 7:03 am, jimmyb <ji...@jimmybruno.com> wrote:

hey Jimmy, what about Jimmy Vivino?
He plays a wide variety of guitars on his TV gig, Conan O'Brian's
show.
And, he seems comfortable with 'em all. http://www.jimmyvivino.com/
Do ya suppose his tech has 'em all set-up/strung per JV's preference?

BTW, its always a gas for a hip cat like you to drop-in for a hang,
thnx...

rpguitar

Oct 18, 2007, 8:03:29 AM10/18/07
Actually, some of us ENJOY doing those admittedly extra-musical
things. It's part of the package, and fun unto itself. I'd say it's
more wasteful to spend too much time worrying about how many guitars
one has (which, mind you - I also do... and would like to stop).

Chickenhead

Oct 18, 2007, 3:22:14 PM10/18/07
I have too many guitars. Lots of them are cheapo Chinese slave-labor made
guitars. Most aren't even worth the shipping if I wanted to sell 'em on
eBay.

In the scheme of possibilities, there are far worse and more expensive
habits.

I'd like to be more efficient with my time and money, but I figure my GAS is
still better than gambling, drinking, watching TV, hanging at strip clubs,
smoking, buying a "sports" car, or any of a zillion other silly things I
could do with my time and money. GAS won't make me a better musician, but
it's not going to ruin my life either . . .

. . . I hope ;-D

"Gerry" <some...@sunny.calif> wrote in message

Gerry

Oct 18, 2007, 5:43:55 PM10/18/07
On 2007-10-18 12:22:14 -0700, "Chickenhead"
<kuNOSPAMrts...@hotmail.com> said:

> I'd like to be more efficient with my time and money, but I figure my GAS is
> still better than gambling, drinking, watching TV, hanging at strip clubs,
> smoking, buying a "sports" car, or any of a zillion other silly things I
> could do with my time and money.

You know you're in trouble when somebody snipes at your hobby and your
argument is that it's better gambling and whores...
--
///---

decapr...@hotmail.com

Oct 18, 2007, 8:58:42 PM10/18/07
On Oct 17, 12:45 am, hotchkisstrio <paulyhotchk...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Seriously, can you?
>
> And what is the proper response when your wife says "They all sound
> the same to me!"??
>
> And how do you decide what to keep sell if you do have too many?

I know that having many can come in handy if you are ever down and
out. I also know that you can play on any guitar if you can play (but
it should be playable), and so if you have to sell your D'Aquistos,
you can go back to your 175 and get real homey with it. Jumping around
from one to another might cause you to lose touch, no matter how many
hours a day you can put in.
-TD

tom walls

Oct 19, 2007, 7:26:41 AM10/19/07
In article <1192755522....@q3g2000prf.googlegroups.com>,
decapr...@hotmail.com says...
I know you're right. Whenever I learn a bold new concept I need to shed
it on all my guitars before I really own it. This only applys to my
three major guitars, and, of course, it comes much faster the second and
third time, but it's obviously more time consuming than if I only used
one guitar. Nevertheless, I won't be giving any of them the heave-ho any
time soon.

Joe Finn

Oct 19, 2007, 10:14:02 AM10/19/07
<decapr...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

That's true. It also depends on what the musical situation is. Tommy Tedesco
had a collection of various guitars and stringed instruments; many of which
he played regularly in commercial recording sessions. He could get an
authentic stylized sound out of anything from a guitar, to a mandolin, to a
bouzouki and made a good living at it too.

Oh yeah, he could read too. ........joe

decapr...@hotmail.com

Oct 19, 2007, 12:16:53 PM10/19/07
On Oct 19, 10:14 am, "Joe Finn" <J...@JoeFinn.net> wrote:
> <decapriolo...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Different thing.

-TD

Joe Finn

Oct 19, 2007, 2:18:24 PM10/19/07
<decapr...@hotmail.com> wrote

> Different thing.
>

> -TD

I know. He had to have been quite a character. Did you know Tommy? ....joe

P.S. I think if virtuosity is your goal you'd probably want to stick to one
guitar. Tedesco seemed like a such a versatile guy though he was probably
very comfortable on a variety of instruments and in a variety of styles.

decapr...@hotmail.com

Oct 19, 2007, 2:57:24 PM10/19/07
On Oct 19, 2:18 pm, "Joe Finn" <J...@JoeFinn.net> wrote:
> <decapriolo...@hotmail.com> wrote

Worked together a few times.

-TD

tomb...@jhu.edu

Oct 19, 2007, 7:10:54 PM10/19/07
On Oct 19, 1:18 pm, "Joe Finn" <J...@JoeFinn.net> wrote:

> P.S. I think if virtuosity is your goal you'd probably want to stick to one
> guitar. Tedesco seemed like a such a versatile guy though he was probably
> very comfortable on a variety of instruments and in a variety of styles.

Versatility was Tommy's domain of virtuosity.

Chickenhead

Oct 19, 2007, 10:01:12 PM10/19/07
Hmmm . . . You do have a good point there.

"Gerry" <some...@sunny.calif> wrote in message

Joe Finn

Oct 20, 2007, 11:14:05 AM10/20/07
<tomb...@jhu.edu> wrote in message

I'm looking forward to reading his autobiography which I just ordered. I
used to read his column in Guitar Player Magazine and always enjoyed his
humorous angle on things. ....joe