The Richard Gere Guitar Collection

terrasbeest

Oct 8, 2011, 5:07:12 AM10/8/11

TD

Oct 8, 2011, 8:37:30 AM10/8/11
On Oct 8, 5:07 am, terrasbeest <terrasbe...@gmail.com> wrote:
> http://www.christies.com/features/auctions/1011/richard-gere/

I remember clear as day when Gere called Jimmy D'Aquisto to make him a
New Yorker. When Jimmy quoted the price, Gere changed his mind. I
thought that quite odd at the time.

-TD

thomas

Oct 8, 2011, 3:52:10 PM10/8/11
I'd stick to the solid-bodies. You never know what he might have
stuffed into the archtops.

Joe Giglio

Oct 8, 2011, 4:02:55 PM10/8/11

ha-ha!

thomas

Oct 8, 2011, 4:45:13 PM10/8/11

Yeah, I went there. You knew someone was going to.

Carl

Oct 8, 2011, 5:00:06 PM10/8/11
Was Gere wealthy at the time? Was it post- Officer and a Gentleman?

It does seem strange that someone of his level would hedge at a price.

Jazzer

Oct 8, 2011, 5:58:29 PM10/8/11
On Oct 8, 3:52 pm, thomas <drthomasfbr...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'd stick to the solid-bodies. You never know what he might have
> stuffed into the archtops.

You mean a custom guitar setup? ;)

TD

Oct 8, 2011, 6:22:56 PM10/8/11

Super wealthy, is why I thought it odd.

pmfan57

Oct 9, 2011, 11:54:34 AM10/9/11

I remember when my first teacher ordered his first D'Aquisto. It cost
the ungodly sum of $4000 (in around 1972) and he had to wait a while
for it. It was a beauty. He ended up ordering several more and sold
at least some of them (I'm sure at a handsome profit) once he retired
to Florida.

Mark Cleary

Oct 9, 2011, 12:05:24 PM10/9/11
Who was your teacher if we may ask?

Deacon Mark Cleary
Epiphany Church
"pmfan57" wrote in message

eric s

Oct 9, 2011, 8:03:54 PM10/9/11
there are 2 l5-s in the collection, one is listed at 2-3 k estimate
iirc, and the other is about 10K higher. A friend of mine went by and
said the cheaper one had a few cracks, but he couldn't tell if it had
been refinished. The prices are kind of all over the place, some
things seem under priced and some over priced. there are no condition
reports, kind of buying a pig in a poke... but if i were around, I
would consider bidding on the cheaper l5.

thomas

Oct 9, 2011, 9:30:36 PM10/9/11

I wonder why he's selling his collection off. Does he need to raise
money for gerbil food?

kentburnside

Oct 9, 2011, 10:18:53 PM10/9/11

Probably. Those gerbils are a pain in the. . . .

Kent Burnside
www.kentburnside.com

Carl

Oct 11, 2011, 10:53:56 AM10/11/11
Actually, my understanding is that he is contributing the proceeds to
charitable causes. I wonder how many of us would do the same?

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/08/17/us-auction-gere-guitars-idUSTRE77G67G20110817

Joe Giglio

Oct 11, 2011, 1:29:22 PM10/11/11
> http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/08/17/us-auction-gere-guitars-idU...

Hi Carl,
It is nice that Richard Gere is donating the proceeds to charity.
Regarding your question: 'I wonder how many of us would do the same?',
it is not a fair question, & one that implies lack of generosity among
the group members.
What one does with their money is a personal matter.
I don't mind sharing though - I live in NYC & give money to homeless
people every time I leave the apartment.
That there are homeless people in NYC is a sad issue that I can't
explain.
In the past 2 years I have given 5 guitars to people who needed an
instrument, but were short of funds.
I give to cancer & heart research, natural disaster, animal
protection, etc.
So, I'm a good guy - among countless others who do the same & more - &
not for the tax deduction or publicity.
The amount of money Richard Gere will give to charity taken in the
context of his net worth, would most likely be equal to the average
person's
contribution to medical research, hurricane/earthquake/etc, relief
each year.
The difference is the publicity.
Without a doubt, the monetary value of the press he is getting, will
exceed in dollar amount, the whole take from the auction.
That doesn't diminish the act though.
He is giving, & hopefully the money will reach the people who need it.
But,,,It has no bearing on, nor is a reflection of the private acts of
charity, of anyone else.
Joe

TD

Oct 11, 2011, 2:37:19 PM10/11/11

Good reply. Gere will also get a nice tax deduction concerning the
charity. The question you replied to is most unfounded, but you did
it, so bravo.

-TD

thomas

Oct 11, 2011, 5:19:16 PM10/11/11
On Oct 11, 10:53 am, "Carl" <croth...@NOSPAMoptonline.net> wrote:

> Actually, my understanding is that he is contributing the proceeds to
> charitable causes. I wonder how many of us would do the same?
>
> http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/08/17/us-auction-gere-guitars-idU...

Good for him. I'd do the same, except no one would pay good money for
most of my guitars.

Carl

Oct 12, 2011, 2:01:56 PM10/12/11
Hmmm, I seem to have struck a nerve where none was meant to be struck. It
was a rhetorical question mostly with the idea in mind, not of whether any
of us are charitable, or whether we would give money relative to our ability
to do so, or whether we could use the tax deduction or not, but whether we
would give up guitars of that level and rarity to meet our charitable
responsibilities.

I would give many things for charity, but I would have difficulty giving up
my rare, impossible to replace, guitars.

Anyway, someone asked the question of if he needs the money for gerbil food,
and I thought his true reasons for selling his guitars needed to be
addressed, to give credit where credit is due to him. That's all. There was
nothing personal meant it my remark to any individuals, real or otherwise...

tom walls

Oct 12, 2011, 2:15:21 PM10/12/11
On Oct 12, 2:01 pm, "Carl" <croth...@NOSPAMoptonline.net> wrote:

> Hmmm, I seem to have struck a nerve where none was meant to be struck. It
> was a rhetorical question mostly with the idea in mind, not of whether any
> of us are charitable, or whether we would give money relative to our ability
> to do so, or whether we could use the tax deduction or not, but whether we
> would give up guitars of that level and rarity to meet our charitable
> responsibilities.
>
> I would give many things for charity, but I would have difficulty giving up
> my rare, impossible to replace, guitars.
>
> Anyway, someone asked the question of if he needs the money for gerbil food,
> and I thought his true reasons for selling his guitars needed to be
> addressed, to give credit where credit is due to him. That's all. There was
> nothing personal meant it my remark to any individuals, real or otherwise...

You weren't off the wall. I got it. The guy gives up his guitar
collection and is rewarded with ridicule. No good deed goes unpunished!

TD

Oct 12, 2011, 2:48:02 PM10/12/11
On Oct 12, 2:01 pm, "Carl" <croth...@NOSPAMoptonline.net> wrote:
> nothing personal meant it my remark to any individuals, real or otherwise...- Hide quoted text -

'Actually, my understanding is that he is contributing the proceeds
charitable causes. "I wonder how many of us would do the same? " '

Then to make your second statement fly, you certainly should have re-
worded it. We all read as it reads. End of story.

-TD

Carl

Oct 13, 2011, 10:32:15 AM10/13/11
Thanks for getting that. I appreciate the supportive comment and your more
thoughtful understanding of my remark.

Carl

Oct 13, 2011, 10:47:02 AM10/13/11
Without wanting to start a flame war, your interpretation is yours and yours
alone. You should not think you're speaking for "all". There is at least one
poster in the thread who read it differently and wrote a supportive comment
which I suggest you read, and I received at least one private email from
someone who prefers not to post, but lurks, supporting my post and actually
thanking me for it.

How you get to determine who "all" is, is certainly beyond my understanding.

Frankly, the remark does not need to be re-phrased. It was a generalized
rhetorical question, targeting no one. Wondering out loud how many of us
would give up our private vintage guitar collection for a charitable cause
does not seem to require any further explanation. However, for the sake of
those who chose to personalize it, I will repeat, it was just about giving
up vintage guitars, it was not directed at anyone in this group or
elsewhere, real or imagined, and certainly included myself as a
self-reflection. If anyone took that benign remark as a personal affront, I
would suggest you look deeper into yourselves because, like, Wow!, I have
been taken aback by this negative reaction, though I realize, on the face of
it, it is a very limited one, and not at all by "all".

I hope we can put this to rest.

tom walls

Oct 13, 2011, 11:27:44 AM10/13/11

FWIW I can understand how someone might read your comment as a
suggestion that those here would be unlikely to commit a charitable
act. I didn't take it that way, and agree with your sentiment that
Gere's behavior was commendable.

TD

Oct 13, 2011, 1:50:32 PM10/13/11
> I hope we can put this to rest.- Hide quoted text -

Moron.

Carl

Oct 13, 2011, 3:23:28 PM10/13/11
We'll let the general readership decide which one of us that is.

Carl

Oct 13, 2011, 3:30:06 PM10/13/11
I give you credit. My family (ie. my wife and I) contribute reasonably to
charity, but I have some really nice guitars that were difficult for me to
find that I would have trouble giving away. And, in light of recent events,
thank you for taking the time to accept my post in the way in which it was
meant.

GreggL

Oct 13, 2011, 9:27:52 PM10/13/11

Carl, your statement about "how many of us..." was ambiguous, clearly
open to interpretation. Your followup explained it well, but TD is no
moron for having read the original as he did.
Gregg

Carl

Oct 14, 2011, 12:06:28 AM10/14/11
I appreciate and respect your input and I can understand the possibility for
a misinterpretation of the original post, but not of the follow-ups. I did
explain myself apologetically and I didn't call anyone any names. It wasn't
me who resorted to the "m" word. I hope that part of this is clear. Thanks
though.

TD

Oct 14, 2011, 7:36:21 AM10/14/11
> though.- Hide quoted text -

I understood your follow up loud and clear. The "moron" remark was due
to you not being a man about wording improperly (original thread ) and
'fessing' up to it. I thought the reaction part of your 2nd post was
simply "moronic." ("Possibility of a misinterpretation"???????) You
said that there was no need for you to have worded your first
statement differently and that myself and merely a few others took
your words the wrong way. You have that quite backwards and you are
dead set on trying to shove 5 lbs of cement into a 2lb bag. You simply
cannot accept being in error or in fact, being wrong in any way,
shape, or form. Incidentally, my initial post was a reply to Joe
Giglio whom I thought resonded to you quite well. We all appreciate
Mr. Gere selling his guitars and donating to charity. Let's not forget
that he is quite well-off and can afford to give away anything he
wishes, including Cindy Crawford. OK, so you are not a moron per se.
But I would be quite tempted to call you one again if you continue to
milk this.

-TD

Greger Hoel

Oct 14, 2011, 9:34:02 AM10/14/11
På Tue, 11 Oct 2011 19:29:22 +0200, skrev Joe Giglio <joeg...@gmail.com>:

> It is nice that Richard Gere is donating the proceeds to charity.
> Regarding your question: 'I wonder how many of us would do the same?',
> it is not a fair question, & one that implies lack of generosity among
> the group members.

I think the most unfair part of this silly comparison isn't that rich man
Gere is generous and us non-Hollywood non-fat cats ain't, though that is
certainly bad enough in itself, but that guitars are different things for
a musician (be it a pro, weekend warrior, student or anybody else who is
seriously committed to making music and playing the guitar) and a
Hollywood fat cat with a nice toy collection. Cuz that's what Gere's
guitars are to him --- a toy collection. He isn't even committed enough to
lay down a bar or two on camera, so don't come telling me his guitars mean
anything close as much to him as a musician's instrument means to a
musician.

> In the past 2 years I have given 5 guitars to people who needed an
> instrument, but were short of funds.

Now that is commendable! Giving a broke musician a new horn and giving up
said horn yourself, a musician, that's charity on a another level from
selling off your toys and sending the money to whatever organization.
Giving guitars to other players --- that's a personal act of charity ---
better for both you and the beneficiary. Maybe you should start your own
charity? The Joe Giglio Instrument Redistribution for the Poor yet
Talented sounds nice. :P

Greg/oasysco

Oct 14, 2011, 10:06:52 AM10/14/11
On Oct 11, 10:53 am, "Carl" <croth...@NOSPAMoptonline.net> wrote:
> http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/08/17/us-auction-gere-guitars-idU...

I'd certainly be willing to contribute the proceeds from Mr. Gere's
auction to charity!!! And I'll bet I'm not the only one here who feels
that way. Who else among us would gladly give Mr. Gere's money to
charity?

Joe Giglio

Oct 14, 2011, 3:11:52 PM10/14/11

I now see what Carl meant in his comment, & appreciate him clarifying
things.
It struck a nerve in me, for my own reasons.

Joe Giglio

Oct 14, 2011, 4:41:25 PM10/14/11
On Oct 14, 9:34 am, "Greger Hoel" <nob...@home.fu> wrote:

Hi Greger, just send me your mailing address...lol

Carl

Oct 14, 2011, 4:46:09 PM10/14/11
Thank you for that. It's all good. I have my own buttons which sometimes
(actually often) get pushed all too easily. ;-)

Carl

Oct 14, 2011, 4:50:45 PM10/14/11
Exactly what I had in mind! Clever... :-)

Carl

Oct 14, 2011, 4:53:18 PM10/14/11
Tsk, tsk. Anger management class for you young man... ;-)

Tim

Oct 14, 2011, 8:24:32 PM10/14/11
Selling off his stuff. Is he hurting for cash?

Tim

Oct 14, 2011, 8:26:35 PM10/14/11
"Christies?"

If he wan't them to fetch REAL money he should have taken them to the
*Pawn Stars*

?;^ )

Jim Soloway

Oct 14, 2011, 8:37:25 PM10/14/11
He was raising money for charity.

TD

Oct 14, 2011, 8:45:57 PM10/14/11
> Tsk, tsk. Anger management class for you young man...  ;-)- Hide quoted text -

Grow up.

TD

Oct 14, 2011, 10:02:42 PM10/14/11
> It struck a nerve in me, for my own reasons.- Hide quoted text -

Many personals; not only yours.

Carl

Oct 15, 2011, 10:12:37 AM10/15/11
Google up the defense mechanism "Projection" TD.

TD

Oct 15, 2011, 2:10:51 PM10/15/11
> Google up the defense mechanism "Projection" TD.- Hide quoted text -

"Carl". Get help for yourself. You are not worthy of my Projectionism,
champ. You don't like losing do you?

-TD

Carl

Oct 15, 2011, 6:31:12 PM10/15/11
THAT DOES IT TONY! You finally went too far!... I am putting all of your
books and articles up on eBay tomorrow!

Hey, I'm gonna be in Manhattan tomorrow. Want to meet for lunch??? My
treat. :-)

On another subject, I have an apartment in the West Village on Bank St that
I'm trying to sell. Know anyone that needs a nice studio for an unreasonable
price?

Jimmaculate

Oct 18, 2021, 12:32:20 AM10/18/21
On Tuesday, October 11, 2011 at 1:37:19 PM UTC-5, TD wrote:
> On Oct 11, 1:29 pm, Joe Giglio <joegig...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > Actually, my understanding is that he is contributing the proceeds to
> > > charitable causes. I wonder how many of us would do the same?
> >
> > >http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/08/17/us-auction-gere-guitars-idU...
> >
> > Hi Carl,
> > It is nice that Richard Gere is donating the proceeds to charity.
> > Regarding your question: 'I wonder how many of us would do the same?',
> > it is not a fair question, & one that implies lack of generosity among
> > the group members.
> > What one does with their money is a personal matter.
> > I don't mind sharing though - I live in NYC & give money to homeless
> > people every time I leave the apartment.
> > That there are homeless people in NYC is a sad issue that I can't
> > explain.
> > In the past 2 years I have given 5 guitars to people who needed an
> > instrument, but were short of funds.
> > I give to cancer & heart research, natural disaster, animal
> > protection, etc.
> > So, I'm a good guy - among countless others who do the same & more - &
> > not for the tax deduction or publicity.
> > The amount of money Richard Gere will give to charity taken in the
> > context of his net worth, would most likely be equal to the average
> > person's
> > contribution to medical research, hurricane/earthquake/etc, relief
> > each year.
> > The difference is the publicity.
> > Without a doubt, the monetary value of the press he is getting, will
> > exceed in dollar amount, the whole take from the auction.
> > That doesn't diminish the act though.
> > He is giving, & hopefully the money will reach the people who need it.
> > But,,,It has no bearing on, nor is a reflection of the private acts of
> > charity, of anyone else.
> > Joe
> Good reply. Gere will also get a nice tax deduction concerning the
> charity. The question you replied to is most unfounded, but you did
> it, so bravo.
> -TD
Yur wasting your money if you give to cancer and heart research. has anything changed with the AMA the past fifty years? no, of course not. they still run people out of the country if they make an improvement.

M Kfivethousand

Nov 4, 2021, 7:52:26 PM11/4/21
On Saturday, October 8, 2011 at 2:52:10 PM UTC-5, thomas wrote:
> On Oct 8, 5:07 am, terrasbeest <terrasbe...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > http://www.christies.com/features/auctions/1011/richard-gere/
> I'd stick to the solid-bodies. You never know what he might have
> stuffed into the archtops.

Eeew no, way too personal, Ick.
I don’t know if he used it and don’t want to know.

mk5000

Er'body run for they life, take cover
I rip mics unlike no other
Rosary and wife beater's, ice grill
Cowards show heaters, but don't want to kill--Benzino