Sam Brown

gooeyboy

Sep 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/10/99
Does anyone know anything about a guitarist named Sam Brown?
Any recordings etc. etc. etc.
gooeyboy

David Moss

Sep 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/10/99

gooeyboy wrote...

> Does anyone know anything about a guitarist named Sam Brown?
> Any recordings etc. etc. etc.

Do you mean the female singer/songwriter (also plays guitar), who
had a hit single with the jazz-bluesy "Stop" about 10 years ago?
Not jazz though, more like sophisticated pop.

Steve Grenadier

Sep 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/10/99
I know just a tiny bit about him. I believe he died in the 70's (and I
think it was drug related). I remember reading an article in Guitar
Player magazine by Jeff Baxter lamenting his passing; he described him
as an amazingly talented guitarist. I don't believe he ever recorded on
his own, but I have some old albums with him as a sideman (was it a
Richard Davis album???). He seemed to be very fusion oriented, and
didn't really get a chance to showcase his playing.

Steve

gooeyboy wrote:

> Does anyone know anything about a guitarist named Sam Brown?
> Any recordings etc. etc. etc.

> gooeyboy

Tom Walls

Sep 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/10/99
I thought I'd saved the responses I got when I asked this question a couple of
years ago, but I can't seem to find them.

Sam Brown was a terrific player who made a lot of sessions in New York in the
late 60's early 70's. Note that I refer to him in the past tense; he is now
deceased. RIP. He played on several of Keith Jarrett's early recordings. I
have recordings of him playing with Jeremy Steig, and Richard Davis -- both
excellent: neither currently available.

Sam was at home in a variety of contexts: latin, rock, r&b, jazz. He was one
of the first real fusion guitarists, but didn't resemble the stereotype that
the name implies.

In article <7raopv$p00$1...@bgtnsc02.worldnet.att.net>,
1g1o1o1e...@worldnet.att.net says...

Jurupari

Sep 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/11/99
>> Does anyone know anything about a guitarist named Sam Brown?
>> Any recordings etc. etc. etc.
>> gooeyboy

I may be confused about this, because it's been awhile, but it seems to me
there was another Sam Brown from Chicago, better known as "Bebop Sam". I only
heard about this guy, but it was all good, and I think his last name was Brown
too. Maybe someone else has the real story on this.

Clif Kuplen
http://members.aol.com/jurupari/index.htm

RalphPatt

Sep 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/11/99
Sam Brown was from Detroit, studied with Joe Fava. Came to New York about 1960.
Took Kenny Burrell's place in the Broadway show Bye Bye Birdie. Left that show
to work with Miriam Makeba and traveled with her. He was an excellent classic
and jazz guitarist. Worked with many small jazz groups in the 1960's and 70's.
Had a drug problem but got clean in and was doing well in New York as all
around player. Was murdered by an intruder in his apartment. A tragedy. Sam was
a great talent and a great friend. Not a mean bone in his body.

Ralph

gooeyboy

Sep 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/11/99
You seem to know a lot about him.
Is there any written information on him?
Also, is there a discography?
Thank You
gooeyboy

RalphPatt

Sep 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/11/99
He was a good friend and we worked together on record dates. He recorded with
Miriam, Gary Burton and others. Sorry, don't have a discography. I do have some
great tapes we made together. After his death I sent copies of those tapes to
his widow (second wife).

There was a very good article about Sam in an early 1982-83-84? Guitar Player
Magazine after his death. If you can find it that would be helpful.

Sorry I can't be more help.

Ralph

Reg Schwager

Sep 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/13/99
gooeyboy wrote:

> Is there any written information on him?
> Also, is there a discography?

I wish there was a discography but I don't know of one. These are some
of the LPs I have that Sam Brown plays on. I'm always looking for
others.

w/ Jeremy Steig:
-Wayfaring Stranger
-Legwork

w/ the Dave Matthews Big Band:
-Night Flight
-Live at the Five Spot

w/ Gary Burton:
-Gary Burton/Keith Jarrett
-Live In Tokyo

w/ Keith Jarrett
-Expectations
-Treasure Island

w/ Paul Motian
-Conception Vessel
-Tribute

w/ Richard Davis
-With Understanding

w/ Charlie Haden:
Liberation Music Orchestra

-Reg

Tom Walls

Sep 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/14/99
He also played on Richard Davis' "Philosophy of the Spiritual".

Mike West

Sep 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/15/99

Jurupari <juru...@aol.com> wrote in message

Wow! Blast from the past. I talked with Bebop Sam a few
times in Chicago.

First time I met him, I was sitting in a piano at the
Chicago Circle campus. I was working out the Bud Powell
changes to Round Midnight. This total stranger opens
the door, walks in and says "that should be A-flat
thirteen." He was right That would have been about
1973-74. Last time I saw him was on a gig at The Bulls,
a couple of years later. I remember him telling me
"Man, I'm a legend in my own time". Cracked me up. He
could play, too.

I am not sure about his last name. It might have been
Brown, but "Taylor" keeps popping up in my head too.

Regards,
Mike

Mike West

Sep 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/15/99

> First time I met him, I was sitting in a piano at the
> Chicago Circle campus. I was working out the Bud
Powell
> changes to Round Midnight. This total stranger opens
> the door, walks in and says "that should be A-flat
> thirteen." He was right That would have been about
> 1973-74. Last time I saw him was on a gig at The
Bulls,
> a couple of years later. I remember him telling me
> "Man, I'm a legend in my own time". Cracked me up. He
> could play, too.
>
> I am not sure about his last name. It might have been
> Brown, but "Taylor" keeps popping up in my head too.
>
> Regards,
> Mike

DUH! That was supposed to be "sitting in a piano ROOM!"

Mike

TomLippinc

Sep 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/16/99
>> First time I met him, I was sitting in a piano at the
>> Chicago Circle campus.

>DUH! That was supposed to be "sitting in a piano ROOM!"
>
>Mike

AW, I liked your first version better.

Tom Lippincott

Tim Cross/Pennie Dubisar-Cross

Sep 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/17/99
I was listening to a lot of Keith Jarrett "American Quartet" a couple of months
ago - all that great Impulse! stuff and I got real interested in finding out who
Sam Brown was, after listening to the title track of "Treasure Island" many times.
I looked everywhere for information, and couldn't find it, but here it is. I love
the music of Keith Jarrett, but guitar never seems to be a part of it, with the
exception of Sam Brown. I read Jarrett's biography, but the book didn't talk about
Brown hardly at all. What was his working relationship like with Jarrett? They
sound sound locked in on "Treasure Island". I heard that he died tragically - I
didn't know the circumstance. Another great one lost.

Tim Cross

Ybotha

Sep 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/19/99
I caught Sam Brown several times live in NY, back when I used to go clubs
(cause there were actually people worth checking out back then) at a club
called the Guitar, owned by Kenny Burrell. I also caught him live with Joe
Farrell at the Bottom Line.
He seemed pretty out of it when I saw him- definitely on drugs or some
condition mirroring that. He used alot of distortion, even on a duo gig with an
upright bass player, and I was an anti-rock person then so I didn't like his
playing.
I'm sure Ralph Patterson knows more about his death than I do, but I remember
his manager saying in an interview in GP that it was drug related. She said
that doctors had fucked him up with antidepessants (they were laden with side
f/x back then) and that was what screwed him up.
He could play classical guitar and was featured on one Bill Evans album and
a few Gary McFarland records, in addition to the ones already mentioned.

Reg Schwager

Sep 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/19/99
Ybotha wrote:
> He could play classical guitar and was featured on one Bill Evans album and
> a few Gary McFarland records, in addition to the ones already mentioned.

The All Music Guide (http://allmusic.com/) has a listing for him as "Sam
T. Brown". For some reason there is a photo of a blonde woman on the
page. There also a few questionable listings in the discography.

Message has been deleted

davemi...@gmail.com

Apr 14, 2018, 4:47:55 PM4/14/18
Right. me too. I am Keith Jarrett's biggest fan and I have worn out vinyl grooves on those early 70's records like Treasure Island, El Juicio, Death and the Flower and many more. I cannot agree more to your point, there seems to be no real "guitar" space in the "Jarret" domain except for Sam Brown who found a niche that was masterful. Mind you, it didn't seem to work on every tune (IMHO) but they were experimenting a lot musically and so it goes when you risk originality. I am now feeling that Sam Brown deserves some greater homage. Keith Jarrett could do it if he would take the time.

paul gerkin

Dec 23, 2022, 9:53:09 PM12/23/22

gtr

Jan 2, 2023, 11:03:08 PM1/2/23
I miss Ralph Patt. He was an incredibly kind and generous man and musician. A
worthy model for all.