Who sang "Hush?"

Wade Hampton Miller

Jul 6, 2004, 11:59:51 PM7/6/04
Driving through the uncongested streets of Eagle River, Alaska this afternoon,
I tired of NPR and poked around on the radio trying to find some music. On one
geezer rock station I heard the song that goes:

"Hush...hush...I thought I heard her callin' my name, now,"
"Hush...hush...she broke my heart but I love her just the same, now,"
"Hush...hush...(etc...)"

The song itself is familiar to the point of near-obnoxiousness, but I couldn't
place the group who recorded it.

Were they one hit wonders who never surfaced again, or some respected touring
band that had this and other hits besides?

One thing I noticed was that, while there was a rhythm electric guitar, there
wasn't any lead guitar, at least not in the portion of the song I caught.
Where you'd expect a guitar solo there was a keyboard player banging away on
what sounded like a Hammond B3 electric organ.

So does anyone have a clue as to who these folks were, and what year the song
was released? It seems like I heard it in high school, but I can't place the
band to save my life....

Thanks in advance to anyone who knows.

Wade Hampton Miller
Chugiak, Alaska

Remove the "Howdy" to reply...

" >

Jul 7, 2004, 12:06:14 AM7/7/04
Early Deep Purple. Before Ian Gillian joined.

George Jetson

Jul 7, 2004, 12:07:15 AM7/7/04
It was Deep Purple, man.

Jim

---------------------------------------
Save your job. Layoff Bush and Cheney.
---------------------------------------

"Wade Hampton Miller" <hoj...@aol.comHowdy> wrote in message

foldedpath

Jul 7, 2004, 12:07:33 AM7/7/04
hoj...@aol.comHowdy (Wade Hampton Miller) wrote in

> Driving through the uncongested streets of Eagle River, Alaska this
> afternoon, I tired of NPR and poked around on the radio trying to find
> some music. On one geezer rock station I heard the song that goes:
>
> "Hush...hush...I thought I heard her callin' my name, now,"
> "Hush...hush...she broke my heart but I love her just the same, now,"
> "Hush...hush...(etc...)"

Deep Purple.

--------------------------------

I got a certan little girl she's on my mind
No doubt about it she looks so fine
She's the best girl that I ever had
Sometimes she's gonna make me feel so bad

Hush, hush
I thought I heard her calling my name now
Hush, hush
She broke my heart but I love her just the same now
Hush, hush
Thought I heard her calling my name now
Hush, hush
I need her loving and I'm not to blame now

(Love, love)
They got it early in the morning
(Love, love)
They got it late in the evening
(Love, love)
Well, I want that, need it
(Love, love)
Oh, I gotta gotta have it

She's got loving like quicksand
Only took one touch of her hand
To blow my mind and I'm in so deep
That I can't eat and I can't sleep

Listen
Hush, hush

--
Mike Barrs

Bob Alman

Jul 7, 2004, 12:05:03 AM7/7/04
Deep Purple?

--
Bob Alman

Dwight

Jul 7, 2004, 12:24:52 AM7/7/04

Wade Hampton Miller wrote:

Wade, it was Deep Purple.

Dwight

Wade Hampton Miller

Jul 7, 2004, 12:49:08 AM7/7/04
Okay, it's Deep Purple - everyone seems to agree.

So where was Ritchie Blackmore blazing away with his lead guitar? I mean, that
guy was a bona fide guitar hero: was he in the back smoking a joint when it
came time to record the guitar solo, so they gave it to the organplayer
instead?

JS

Jul 7, 2004, 1:31:44 AM7/7/04
Deep Purple.

Written by...Neil Diamond!

Bob Alman

Jul 7, 2004, 1:40:07 AM7/7/04
JS <je...@comcast.net> wrote:
> Deep Purple.

> Written by...Neil Diamond!

I'll bet his version would have sucked!
--
Bob Alman

McCollum

Jul 7, 2004, 2:51:21 AM7/7/04
You dork!!!
Lance

Harmon Koeltz

Jul 7, 2004, 7:35:10 AM7/7/04
The original version was recorded by Billy Joe Royal. He also recorded 'Down
in the Boondocks", "Hush", "Cherry Hill Park", and " I Knew You When".

Chris Mullin

Jul 7, 2004, 8:00:18 AM7/7/04
I think you left out the verse that goes...
'Na na na na na na na na na na ....'

I beelieve tha tlater these guys re organized and put out 'Smoke on the
water'...Ump ump umpppp ump ump p um ...

Chris

"foldedpath" <mba...@NOSPAM.nightviewer.com> wrote in message

Ty Ford

Jul 7, 2004, 8:24:37 AM7/7/04
On Wed, 7 Jul 2004 07:35:10 -0400, Harmon Koeltz wrote
(in article <QaRGc.13790$285....@bignews6.bellsouth.net>):

> The original version was recorded by Billy Joe Royal. He also recorded 'Down
> in the Boondocks", "Hush", "Cherry Hill Park", and " I Knew You When".

Right. The Deep Purple version was a cover they did a few years later.

Regards,

Ty Ford

stuff are at http://home.comcast.net/~tyreeford

Steve Comeau

Jul 7, 2004, 9:03:29 AM7/7/04

"JS" <je...@comcast.net> wrote in message

> Deep Purple.
>
> Written by...Neil Diamond!

Sorry, but "Hush" was written by Joe South - famous for writing "Down in the
Boondocks", "Games People Play" and "I Never Promised You a Rose Garden".

I believe you're thinking of Neil Diamond's song "Kentucky Woman" which Deep
Purple also covered.

All the best,

Steve Comeau

Captain Frank

Jul 7, 2004, 9:31:03 AM7/7/04
"Hush" was NOT written by Neil Diamond.
It was written by Joe South.

And in addition to being recorded by Deep Purple, it was also recorded by:
Joe South
Gladys Knight and the Pips
Killdozer
Kula Shaker
Milli Vanilli
Billy Joe Royal
Esmeralda Santa
Gregg Wright

Regards,
Left Frank

rob anderson

Jul 7, 2004, 10:22:59 AM7/7/04
hoj...@aol.comHowdy (Wade Hampton Miller) wrote in message news:<20040707004908...@mb-m02.aol.com>...

Wade,

Listen to the recording closely ... there is actually some rippin'
guitar in there. Ritchie was never my favorite shredder but he could
lay a monster riff down like nobody's business.

And the postscript to it is that Ritchie today performs celtic-ish
acoustic fingerstyle music ... don't have the ref info next to me, but
I believe he's released a couple of CD's in that vein.

By the way, Lance is right ...

best,
rob

JS

Jul 7, 2004, 12:37:57 PM7/7/04

You are correct, sir!

Joe McNamara

Jul 7, 2004, 12:48:44 PM7/7/04
<< > Deep Purple.

> Written by...Neil Diamond!

Sorry, but "Hush" was written by Joe South - famous for writing "Down in the
Boondocks", "Games People Play" and "I Never Promised You a Rose Garden".

>><BR><BR>

...and for playing the tuned to C, tremelo'd guitar on Aretha's "Chain of
Fools"
Joe McNamara

RutledgeTW

Jul 7, 2004, 12:55:20 PM7/7/04
Deep Purple

Mark Steven Brooks

Jul 7, 2004, 1:34:18 PM7/7/04
The song was written by Joe South and made famous by Deep Purple. It was sung
by Rod Evans, the singer for their first 3 albums and also the singer for
Captain Beyond which made one fantastic album in 1970 and a nowhere album a
year or 2 later. I wonder what happened to him?
elat...@aol.com (Mark Steven Brooks/Elaterium Music)

Mark Steven Brooks

Jul 7, 2004, 1:35:40 PM7/7/04
<<So where was Ritchie Blackmore blazing away with his lead guitar? I mean,
that
guy was a bona fide guitar hero: was he in the back smoking a joint when it
came time to record the guitar solo, so they gave it to the organplayer
instead?>>

There are plenty of leads in that recording.

hobart xaxinojo

Jul 7, 2004, 1:38:42 PM7/7/04

http://www.thehighwaystar.com/rosas/jouni/re.html

"Mark Steven Brooks" <elat...@aol.com> wrote in message

Mark Steven Brooks

Jul 7, 2004, 1:41:10 PM7/7/04
<<Deep Purple.

Written by...Neil Diamond!>>

Joe South. Though they did record some Neil Diamond too.

Bubba Kahuna (only 1 'J' in my address)

Jul 7, 2004, 3:51:05 PM7/7/04
rob anderson wrote:

> Wade,
>
> Listen to the recording closely ... there is actually some rippin'
> guitar in there. Ritchie was never my favorite shredder but he could
> lay a monster riff down like nobody's business.
>
> And the postscript to it is that Ritchie today performs celtic-ish
> acoustic fingerstyle music ... don't have the ref info next to me, but
> I believe he's released a couple of CD's in that vein.
>
> By the way, Lance is right ...
>
> best,
> rob

Richie's current thing:
http://www.blackmoresnight.com/

Cheers,
- JJ
http://theVIBErocks.com

Mike brown

Jul 8, 2004, 6:50:26 AM7/8/04
In article <6ce3c663.04070...@posting.google.com>,
guitarl...@yahoo.com (Captain Frank) wrote:

> "Hush" was NOT written by Neil Diamond.
> It was written by Joe South.
>
> And in addition to being recorded by Deep Purple, it was also recorded by:
> Joe South
> Gladys Knight and the Pips
> Killdozer
> Kula Shaker
> Milli Vanilli
> Billy Joe Royal
> Esmeralda Santa
> Gregg Wright
>
> Regards,
> Left Frank

Half of them I've never heard of, and the other half I wish I hadn't heard of.

#8^)

MJRB

Elektrik Hendrik

Jul 8, 2004, 8:00:10 AM7/8/04
It's also done by Billy Joe Royal and more recently by one of these Brit Pop
bands, forgot the name.

MikeY

Jul 8, 2004, 9:25:38 PM7/8/04
Rod Evans was the original singer on the Deep Purple version. Ritchie
Blackmore (my all time electric guitar hero) played a very unique
guitar solo on that. Of course Ritche went on to superstardom by
creating the ever popular (or unpopular) riff to SMOKE ON THE WATER.

FYI- Blackmore is playing ACOUSTIC music these days with his band
BLACKMORE'S NIGHT.I believe there are 5 CD's available. The latest is
GHOST OF A ROSE and is excellant musically, and not what you would
expect from a guy that used to break strats for aliving. FIRES AT
MIDNIGHT and SHADOW OF THE MOON are also very good. He is using
LAKEWOOD, TAYLOR, FENDER and ALVEREZ guitars on stage. Some of the
music has a Baroque / Renassance feel to it and he has done several
very pretty instrumentals on each CD as well. I cover one of his
instrumentals called MEMMIGEN on my latest CD (with permission of
course).

Mike

Mike

Jul 9, 2004, 11:03:10 PM7/9/04

"rob anderson" <rj...@wideopenwest.com> wrote in message

> hoj...@aol.comHowdy (Wade Hampton Miller) wrote in message
> > Okay, it's Deep Purple - everyone seems to agree.
> >
> > So where was Ritchie Blackmore blazing away with his lead guitar? I
mean, that
> > guy was a bona fide guitar hero: was he in the back smoking a joint when
it
> > came time to record the guitar solo, so they gave it to the organplayer
> > instead?
> >

> Wade,
>
> Listen to the recording closely ... there is actually some rippin'
> guitar in there. Ritchie was never my favorite shredder but he could
> lay a monster riff down like nobody's business.

If he heard a Top 40 version of the song, the guitar solo may have been cut.

rob anderson

Jul 10, 2004, 11:09:29 AM7/10/04
"Mike" <mi...@foo.net> wrote in message news:<O%IHc.44166$qw1....@nwrddc01.gnilink.net>...

True and probable, but just the refrains and turn arounds are filled
with him riffing away on top, or just slightly in back of maybe, the
organ. I don't think the guy every strummed.

Steve

Jul 10, 2004, 12:50:39 PM7/10/04
We still do that song on gigs sometimes!

Funny thing: the people in their 20s know it, love it, ask for it.

SEFSTRAT
solo webpage: http://members.aol.com/sefstrat/index.html/sefpage.html
band webpage: www.timebanditsrock.com

Magnus Paterson

Jul 10, 2004, 4:16:43 PM7/10/04
Anyone remember "Hush Hush" by Corky Siegel? I think it was
something like the Siegel-Schwall band. Great album, languishing
on the shelves in the attic with so many others.

We were happy then. Or maybe just drunker . . . .

Cheers,
Magnus

Larry Pattis

Jul 10, 2004, 4:24:41 PM7/10/04
In article <L8YHc.28584$I%1.1...@fe1.news.blueyonder.co.uk>, Magnus
Paterson <mp011...@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

Holy cow, Magnus.....I have never (until this point) heard mention of
Corky Siegel (nor the S.S. Blues band) on this group!

I used to see/hear Corky all the time when I was still living in the
Chicago area...solo, at a variety of now-defunct folk clubs...and I
went to high school with the younger brother of Dave Schwall!

--
Larry Pattis
LP "at" LarryPattis "dot" com

paul asbell

Jul 10, 2004, 5:58:42 PM7/10/04

Larry Pattis wrote:

>Holy cow, Magnus.....I have never (until this point) heard mention of
>Corky Siegel (nor the S.S. Blues band) on this group!
>
>I used to see/hear Corky all the time when I was still living in the
>Chicago area...solo, at a variety of now-defunct folk clubs...and I
>went to high school with the younger brother of Dave Schwall!

I used to play w/ Sam Lay's band, Larry. Sam was the drummer for
Siegel/Schwall for a number of years, and I used to go with Sam to some
of their gigs in an Evanston club, who's name i've now forgotten. This
was around '69-'71 (I know... I'm dating myself)

Any chance we were in the same room together, 35 year ago?

--
Best regards

Paul

Paul Asbell
www.paulasbell.com

Larry Pattis

Jul 10, 2004, 6:40:48 PM7/10/04

paul asbell <pas...@paulasbell.com> wrote:

Paul,

I never did see the Siegal-Schwall band live....I was more into going
to places like the Earl of Olde Towne, the Quiet Knight, Amazing Grace
(especially Amazing Grace!), No Exit, Somebody Else's Troubles, you
know...the folk-places. I saw Steve Goodman perform once or twice at
the Park West, which was a BIG place in the Lincoln Park neighborhood.

This would have been starting in around '72, so I think we missed each
other back then....you've got a couple-three years on me, but I was
doing my best...

8-)

John Sorell

Jul 10, 2004, 6:50:35 PM7/10/04
Larry Pattis <Larry...@nospam.com> wrote in news:100720041324411066%
Larry...@nospam.com:

> In article <L8YHc.28584$I%1.1...@fe1.news.blueyonder.co.uk>, Magnus
> Paterson <mp011...@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> Anyone remember "Hush Hush" by Corky Siegel? I think it was
>> something like the Siegel-Schwall band. Great album, languishing
>> on the shelves in the attic with so many others.
>>
>> We were happy then. Or maybe just drunker . . . .
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Magnus
>>

> Holy cow, Magnus.....I have never (until this point) heard mention of
> Corky Siegel (nor the S.S. Blues band) on this group!
>
> I used to see/hear Corky all the time when I was still living in the
> Chicago area...solo, at a variety of now-defunct folk clubs...and I
> went to high school with the younger brother of Dave Schwall!

I saw Corky Siegel perform in a bar on Union Street in San
Francisco...probably 1972.

John

paul asbell

Jul 10, 2004, 6:51:42 PM7/10/04

Larry Pattis wrote:

>Paul,
>
>I never did see the Siegal-Schwall band live....I was more into going
>to places like the Earl of Olde Towne, the Quiet Knight, Amazing Grace
>(especially Amazing Grace!), No Exit, Somebody Else's Troubles, you
>know...the folk-places. I saw Steve Goodman perform once or twice at
>the Park West, which was a BIG place in the Lincoln Park neighborhood.
>
>This would have been starting in around '72, so I think we missed each
>other back then....you've got a couple-three years on me, but I was
>doing my best...
>
>8-)

That would, of course, explain my high level of maturity and deep wells
of wisdom...

--
Best regards

Paul

Larry Pattis

Jul 10, 2004, 7:06:09 PM7/10/04
> Larry Pattis wrote:
> >>
> >Paul,
> >
> >I never did see the Siegal-Schwall band live....I was more into going
> >to places like the Earl of Olde Towne, the Quiet Knight, Amazing Grace
> >(especially Amazing Grace!), No Exit, Somebody Else's Troubles, you
> >know...the folk-places. I saw Steve Goodman perform once or twice at
> >the Park West, which was a BIG place in the Lincoln Park neighborhood.
> >
> >This would have been starting in around '72, so I think we missed each
> >other back then....you've got a couple-three years on me, but I was
> >doing my best...
> >
> >8-)

paul asbell <pas...@paulasbell.com> wrote:

> That would, of course, explain my high level of maturity and deep wells
> of wisdom...

Maybe.

Maybe not.

Larry Pattis

Jul 10, 2004, 7:06:39 PM7/10/04

John Sorell <j.sorellS...@comcast.net> wrote:

> I saw Corky Siegel perform in a bar on Union Street in San
> Francisco...probably 1972.
>
> John

Great minds.....

Magnus Paterson

Jul 11, 2004, 8:09:34 AM7/11/04
Larry wrote:

> In article <L8YHc.28584$I%1.1...@fe1.news.blueyonder.co.uk>, Magnus
> Paterson <mp011...@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > Anyone remember "Hush Hush" by Corky Siegel? I think it was
> > something like the Siegel-Schwall band. Great album, languishing
> > on the shelves in the attic with so many others.
> >
> > We were happy then. Or maybe just drunker . . . .
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Magnus
> >

> Holy cow, Magnus.....I have never (until this point) heard mention of
> Corky Siegel (nor the S.S. Blues band) on this group!
>
> I used to see/hear Corky all the time when I was still living in the
> Chicago area...solo, at a variety of now-defunct folk clubs...and I
> went to high school with the younger brother of Dave Schwall!

Never had the opportunity to see them live, but one of the 2 albums I
bought was the live one. Sounded like a great fun live band.

This NG makes for a small but interesting world, doesn't it?

Cheers,
Magnus

Fred Pierce

Jul 11, 2004, 10:11:25 AM7/11/04

It's on the Reunion Concert CD - available at Corky's site -
http://www.chamberblues.com/ along with lots of other stuff.

Actually Siegel-Schwall had been mentioned on this group before -
somebody told me that the "Six Pieces for Blues Band & Orchestra" that
I'd been looking for had been reissued. I had, along with some other
stuff I didn't know about so off I went on another CD binge. This can
be a costly newsgroup even without GAS attacks.

I finally sobered up but still find their stuff outstanding - old and
new.

fdp

Fred Pierce (DNRC)- fpi...@avialantic.com

Eric Johnson

Jul 11, 2004, 12:00:13 PM7/11/04
"Hush, Hush" covered by Siegal-Schwall is a cover of a Jimmy Reed tune.
Back in the time frame (early '70's) the late. Sheldon Plotkin was
the drummer. They were the regular Tuesday night house band at the
Quiet Knight at Belmont and Southport in Chicago. I saw them many times
back then.

Bass player Rollo Radford is now a special Ed teacher in Chicago.
Jim Schwall now has a PhD and is with the Madison Wisconsin schools
and was running for mayor of Madison.
When they do gig now, Sam Lay does lay down the beat.
Corky has his "Chamber Blues" group and plays quite often.

Catch up w/ Siegel-Schwall @ chamberblues.com

In article <L8YHc.28584$I%1.1...@fe1.news.blueyonder.co.uk>,
mp011...@blueyonder.co.uk says...

Eric Johnson

Jul 11, 2004, 12:05:12 PM7/11/04
I was at the reunion concert sitting in the fron row.
Always seems to me that the CD is way shorter than the
real gig. I am sure they did more tunes !

eric johnson
ej...@uic.edu

In article <r4i2f0tvrpm57lgvt...@4ax.com>,
news...@avialantic.com says...

Ty Ford

Jul 11, 2004, 11:46:34 AM7/11/04
On Sat, 10 Jul 2004 16:24:41 -0400, Larry Pattis wrote
(in article <100720041324411066%Larry...@nospam.com>):

> In article <L8YHc.28584$I%1.1...@fe1.news.blueyonder.co.uk>, Magnus
> Paterson <mp011...@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> Anyone remember "Hush Hush" by Corky Siegel? I think it was
>> something like the Siegel-Schwall band. Great album, languishing
>> on the shelves in the attic with so many others.
>>
>> We were happy then. Or maybe just drunker . . . .
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Magnus
>>

> Holy cow, Magnus.....I have never (until this point) heard mention of
> Corky Siegel (nor the S.S. Blues band) on this group!
>
> I used to see/hear Corky all the time when I was still living in the
> Chicago area...solo, at a variety of now-defunct folk clubs...and I
> went to high school with the younger brother of Dave Schwall!

You just made me walk over to the 41.5 linear feet of vinyl I have. Of the
four Siegel-Schwall LPs, Hush is not on one of them.

Hmm .....I did re-find my Martin Mull collection though. Good picker, funny
writer.

Regards,

Ty Ford

stuff are at http://home.comcast.net/~tyreeford

John Chamberlain

Jul 11, 2004, 7:57:16 PM7/11/04
Billy Joe Royal?

angel...@gmail.com

Feb 19, 2017, 7:25:33 AM2/19/17
It was written by Joe South for Billy Joe Royal in the sixtys Deep purple cover song in the seventy and took it to number 1

Bill

Feb 19, 2017, 4:40:37 PM2/19/17
angel...@gmail.com wrote:
> It was written by Joe South for Billy Joe Royal in the sixtys Deep purple cover song in the seventy and took it to number 1

Great, now I'll have that song in my head all day.. ; )

pat-m...@gmx.com

Feb 26, 2017, 5:16:18 PM2/26/17
On Sunday, 19 February 2017 12:25:33 UTC, angel...@gmail.com wrote:
> It was written by Joe South for Billy Joe Royal in the sixtys Deep purple cover song in the seventy and took it to number 1

this thread is 13 years old

Glutton

Feb 28, 2017, 8:31:30 PM2/28/17
It was worth the wait.

kevin....@csueastbay.edu

May 16, 2019, 5:24:00 PM5/16/19
On Tuesday, July 6, 2004 at 10:31:44 PM UTC-7, JS wrote:
> Deep Purple.
>
> Written by...Neil Diamond!

nope joe south wrote it for billy joe royal who had a top 10 with it a year earlier... then deep purple rocked it up

Cloud Hobbit

Sep 15, 2021, 5:32:06 PM9/15/21
On Tuesday, July 6, 2004 at 8:59:51 PM UTC-7, Wade Hampton Miller wrote:
> Driving through the uncongested streets of Eagle River, Alaska this afternoon,
> I tired of NPR and poked around on the radio trying to find some music. On one
> geezer rock station I heard the song that goes:
> "Hush...hush...I thought I heard her callin' my name, now,"
> "Hush...hush...she broke my heart but I love her just the same, now,"
> "Hush...hush...(etc...)"
> The song itself is familiar to the point of near-obnoxiousness, but I couldn't
> place the group who recorded it.
> Were they one hit wonders who never surfaced again, or some respected touring
> band that had this and other hits besides?
> One thing I noticed was that, while there was a rhythm electric guitar, there
> wasn't any lead guitar, at least not in the portion of the song I caught.
> Where you'd expect a guitar solo there was a keyboard player banging away on
> what sounded like a Hammond B3 electric organ.
> So does anyone have a clue as to who these folks were, and what year the song
> was released? It seems like I heard it in high school, but I can't place the
> band to save my life....
> Thanks in advance to anyone who knows.
> Wade Hampton Miller
> Chugiak, Alaska
> Remove the "Howdy" to reply...

Billy Joe Royal did it first, then Deep Purple.
Written by Joe South

hub...@ccanoemail.ca

Sep 15, 2021, 6:50:40 PM9/15/21
Hey ! .. cannot leave this just-like-that ! No Way !

Deep Purple 's "official video" 1988 ? < who knew ? >

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1kZ9zYr7kk

This 1968 version is my un-forget ery -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4QBhC1uCP4

I wonder if they are making fun of the record companies
and / or future music video ? < seems too early ? >

Joe South :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3M9se64HoTg

Joe South wiki :

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_South

This one's a beauty - I am now a Joe South fan :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LiPs5ATZrGg

... " you could write a tell-all book . "
" I like the people in my life too much to tell everything. "

John T.