Re: Attention UK - John Hullah Guitars

gareth....@gmail.com

Oct 5, 2015, 5:06:23 PM10/5/15
On Monday, November 6, 1995 at 8:00:00 AM UTC, Andy Howell wrote:
> Today I played one of the most amazing new guitars I have played for years.
>
> City Music in Birmingham have struck a deal with Welsh Luthier (Anglesey
> based) John Hullah. Hullah trained, I think, with Fylde Guitars and has
> been well known for producing classics, but he is now making stunning steel
> strings.
>
> The guitar I played today was a cedar/mahogany cutaway in the Breedlove
> style. The neck joined the body at the 12th fret although the cutaway gave
> access to the same frets as would as conventional cutaway 14th fret design -
> at least it felt like that. Although a small bodied guitar this hullah was
> deeper than say a 000/OM style.
>
> This guitar sang like a dream - goodness knows what it will sound like in a
> few yeas. Other Hullah's I have played were very bright almost classical in
> their sound and were very good for slow lyrical passages a la Martin
> Simpson. This guitar excelled in this kind of sound but was more suited to
> a range of acoustic styles.
>
> If you are within striking distance of Birmingham, give this guitar a go.
>
> Does anyone know anything else about John Hullah?
>

> --
> Andy Howell
> Birmingham, UK.

I too have a Hullah guitar. I am a Fylde fan and when I saw this Hullah Cutaway forsale second hand in my local music store I new I had to have it.
The tone is perfect and the build is fantastic. John Hullah is a master luthier.

tonyf...@gmail.com

Mar 2, 2016, 7:00:58 AM3/2/16
Met John Hullah several years ago when he was still based in Norflolk. I own one of his dreadnoughts and it is quite frankly the best guitar I have ever played. John has made instruments for many famous people including John Martin and Kris Kristofferson and I am surprised that his instruments are not heavily sought after but the doesn't yet appear to be the case. Famed for his X bracing and use of fine timbers (mine has a mexican coca-bola body). Also a very nice man

cliff...@gmail.com

Mar 3, 2016, 10:39:53 AM3/3/16
Had a Hullah Mandola for a while, should have kept it, nice thing.
OK, i'm mainly replying because this 21 years old, hands up ....♪8")

gus

Mar 3, 2016, 7:50:05 PM3/3/16
> OK, i'm mainly replying because this 21 years old, hands up ....?8")

Now you know how Johnny Asia must feel...

--
Bob Alman

rayboyce

Mar 5, 2016, 5:55:33 AM3/5/16

"gus" <g...@sonic.net> wrote in message
> cliff...@gmail.com wrote:
>> Had a Hullah Mandola for a while, should have kept it, nice thing.
>> OK, i'm mainly replying because this 21 years old, hands up ....?8")
> Now you know how Johnny Asia must feel...
> --
> Bob Alman

Blasts from the pasts... Hope Bob's good and Cliff as well.

Miss the Dork-o-meter on occasion tho

~ray

gus

Mar 5, 2016, 3:15:04 PM3/5/16
Be careful what you ask for, Ray...

--
Bob Alman

robbi...@gmail.com

May 7, 2020, 5:23:22 PM5/7/20
I have a 1995 model 601 ( whatever that means ) Cedar top, mahogany back and sides.
Joined at the 14th fret but with the same cutaway as described above , ala breedlove.

I've owned it for about a year but haven't played it much until recently because I didn't really understand it. I'm usually a dreadnought man, liking the beef and volume of the big guitars. However, I also sometimes have a hankering for a smaller guitar such as an 000 or OM.

I've had the guitar up for sale with no bights at all, which I'm ok with. I've started to play it more and get to know the guitar. It has many lovely characteristics that are quite unique to it. It's light weight, wide but very shallow neck, the neck profile is almost classical, ie no radius at all. It sounds crisp, has fabulous sustain, is warm and organic , almost bluesy and yet at times sounds almost baroque or classical. It has great string definition and articulation and loves to be played gently and finger picked. In essence, to me, it's quite unique. The only guitar that I've owned that this reminds me of is an Ayers MICCR which I regret selling. The more I play the more I warm to it.

Stephen Leak

Nov 1, 2022, 5:48:43 AM11/1/22
Hi all,

Does anybody have or know anyone with a Hullah Classical guitar. Nearly bought one in 1982 after visiting his workshop in Presaton but it was out of my price range so bought a small 000 Martin instead?

Stephen Leak