Jesse Colin Young Lyric Help Please?

36 views
Skip to first unread message

Jeff Sherman

unread,
Jun 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/24/00
to
He had a kind of a funny calypso-type tune called "Barbados" and
I've been all around a bunch of lyric sites trying to find the
words. If somebody knows a place could you point me at it?
Thanks.

Anybody else remember this tune?

The chorus was something like:

" . . . lemme tell ya now"

LiliAnna LiliAnna darlin,
please divorce your husband
If I have to swim or sell my clothes
I'm goin back to the island of Barbados

1st verse might have been (don't laugh if its wrong):

Barbados Barbados
Land of flying fish and potatos
Barbados, Barbados
Land of flying fish and potatos

Such a beautiful island
on this <something> vacation
. . . .
<something> <something> <sputter> <chug> <clunk>

forgot the rest

That's all I have anymore. It was 30 years ago, I wasn't wrapped
up real tight then and my wiring's been misfiring ever since.
Any help greatly appreciated.

Jeff

Got questions? Get answers over the phone at Keen.com.
Up to 100 minutes free!
http://www.keen.com


George

unread,
Jun 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/24/00
to
Jeff,

I'd post this question over at rec.music.folk . I stop over there once
in a while and I've even been known to post a thing or two, but most
of those folks are a little too scary for me. More than a few are
casualities of the Great Folk Music Scare of the 60's, but I'd be
surprised if someone didn't know (and probably still own) this song.

Use an assumed name.

G.

Jeff Sherman

unread,
Jun 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/24/00
to
I'm already scared of strangers just in general. Ain't no way
I'm going over there, George.

Will you go there for me, buddy? <blink blink> ;-)

Just kidding.

Hey George, That aggravation that pops up around rmmga from
time to time is a really small part of all the info that's
flowing thru here every day. There were dozens of great threads
running just in the last month. You used to post more, and good
stuff too, as I recall. Be nice if you were still doing that.

Jeff Sherman

unread,
Jun 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/24/00
to
George <wha...@myhome.com> wrote:

>On Sat, 24 Jun 2000 20:52:10 -0700, Jeff Sherman
><jsherman...@lorainccc.edu.invalid> wrote:
>
>>I'm already scared of strangers just in general. Ain't no way
>>I'm going over there, George.
>>
>>Will you go there for me, buddy? <blink blink> ;-)
>>
>>Just kidding.
>>
>>Hey George, That aggravation that pops up around rmmga from
>>time to time is a really small part of all the info that's
>>flowing thru here every day. There were dozens of great
threads
>>running just in the last month. You used to post more, and
good
>>stuff too, as I recall. Be nice if you were still doing that.
>>
>>Jeff
>
>Gee, I'm flattered. So flattered, in fact, that I'm hesitant to
>suggest maybe you've got me mixed up with someone else. Or your
>recall
>isn't that great. <g>

Well the old short term memory has seen better days (or so I
dimly recall) but I got my Georges pretty straight --- Kashner,
Garklavs, George4098, and of course George of-the-no-last-name.
I guess you and 4098 could be the same unit without the model
number.

>I'll take the compliment anyway, even if
>it's
>intended for someone else.

That and a buck'll get ya a cup a joe.

>I guess I was posting more a while back,

Yep.

>and the fact that I don't have a hell of a lot to say anyway

Doesn't stop me. Besides there's always 50 different threads
going on.

>I think I post more than enough.

Me too. I mean me, not you.

>I will say that when I first signed on here there weren't as
>many flare-ups as there seem to be now,

Even at their worst they only take up a very small corner of all
the activity.

>Feel free to use my name if you go to rec.music.folk.

I told ya I ain't going there.

>Stay out threads with "hammered dulcimer" in the header....they
>can get nasty.

I intend to.

>Wanna have some fun?

Nope.

>Post a message asking for a definition of
>folk music, then sit back and watch 'em bump heads....

No, you. And while you're there . . .

Jeff Sherman

unread,
Jun 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/24/00
to

And Gleason.

George

unread,
Jun 25, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/25/00
to
On Sat, 24 Jun 2000 20:52:10 -0700, Jeff Sherman
<jsherman...@lorainccc.edu.invalid> wrote:

>I'm already scared of strangers just in general. Ain't no way
>I'm going over there, George.
>
>Will you go there for me, buddy? <blink blink> ;-)
>
>Just kidding.
>
>Hey George, That aggravation that pops up around rmmga from
>time to time is a really small part of all the info that's
>flowing thru here every day. There were dozens of great threads
>running just in the last month. You used to post more, and good
>stuff too, as I recall. Be nice if you were still doing that.
>
>Jeff

Gee, I'm flattered. So flattered, in fact, that I'm hesitant to
suggest maybe you've got me mixed up with someone else. Or your recall

isn't that great. <g> I'll take the compliment anyway, even if it's
intended for someone else. I guess I was posting more a while back,
but considering it's hard to get two words out of me in "real life"
and the fact that I don't have a hell of a lot to say anyway I think I
post more than enough.

I will say that when I first signed on here there weren't as many
flare-ups as there seem to be now, but I guess those things run in
cycles. All in all, this group has a pretty good mix of people, and
I've learned a lot since being here.

Feel free to use my name if you go to rec.music.folk. Stay out of any


threads with "hammered dulcimer" in the header....they can get nasty.

Wanna have some fun? Post a message asking for a definition of folk


music, then sit back and watch 'em bump heads....

G.

Jcarp

unread,
Jun 25, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/25/00
to
Jeff,

I used to be a big JCY fan and remember the Barbados song. It's
running around in my head, but I can't remember the words. I'm
sure it isn't potatoes though.

Missed you at DC 1 buddy. Since you are in the neighborhood I'm
surprised you couldn't make it. Shoot, it's only a ten hour
drive or so from Cleveland isn't it?

jcar

Jeff Sherman

unread,
Jun 25, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/25/00
to
LOL. Not potatos? Well forget that tune then. I needed a
potato song.

DC1 sounds like it was a blast. That squirrely fire fighter from
Boston wasn't there was he?

Nice of Jeff and Trish to open there home for that.

Jeff

joc.1...@gmail.com

unread,
Jun 18, 2020, 4:01:56 PM6/18/20
to

I think I got it

Barbados Barbados, land of flying fish and potatoes,
Barbados Barbados, land of flying fish and potatoes,
What a beautiful island

Tourists go there for their vacation
Well I go there annually
Cause I love the peoples hospitality

Lemme tell her now,
Lilianna lilianna darlin, please divorce your husband,
If I have to swim or sell my clothes,
Run back to the island of Barbados,

We wake in the mornin,
To see the south sea shining
The motion in the ocean
Yes and make love in the sunshine
All day we're together
In the sun and stormy weather
And together we want to stay
Thats what the people hear me say

Let me tell her now;
Lilianna lilianna, darlin, please divorce your husband
If I have to swim or sell my clothes,
Come back to the island of Barbados
La la la Ia la la la, la la la la la Ia la la

Let me tell her now,
Lilianna lilianna darlin
Please divorce your husband
If I have to swim or sell my clothes,
Get back to the island of babados
La la la Ia a Ia la Ia
La la la Ia la la lala.

Cloud Hobbit

unread,
Jul 20, 2021, 7:38:35 PM7/20/21
to
On Saturday, June 24, 2000 at 12:00:00 AM UTC-7, Jeff Sherman wrote:
> George <wha...@myhome.com> wrote:
> >On Sat, 24 Jun 2000 20:52:10 -0700, Jeff Sherman
> ><jsherman...@lorainccc.edu.invalid> wrote:
> >
> >>I'm already scared of strangers just in general. Ain't no way
> >>I'm going over there, George.
> >>
> >>Will you go there for me, buddy? <blink blink> ;-)
> >>
> >>Just kidding.
> >>
> >>Hey George, That aggravation that pops up around rmmga from
> >>time to time is a really small part of all the info that's
> >>flowing thru here every day. There were dozens of great
> threads
> >>running just in the last month. You used to post more, and
> good
> >>stuff too, as I recall. Be nice if you were still doing that.
> >>
> >>Jeff
> >
> >Gee, I'm flattered. So flattered, in fact, that I'm hesitant to
> >suggest maybe you've got me mixed up with someone else. Or your
> >recall
> >isn't that great. <g>
> Well the old short term memory has seen better days (or so I
> dimly recall) but I got my Georges pretty straight --- Kashner,
> Garklavs, George4098, and of course George of-the-no-last-name.
> I guess you and 4098 could be the same unit without the model
> number.
> >I'll take the compliment anyway, even if
> >it's
> >intended for someone else.

You know what they say, "memory is the second thing
to go.


I forget the first.


> That and a buck'll get ya a cup a joe.
> >I guess I was posting more a while back,
> Yep.
> >and the fact that I don't have a hell of a lot to say anyway
> Doesn't stop me. Besides there's always 50 different threads
> going on.
> >I think I post more than enough.
> Me too. I mean me, not you.
> >I will say that when I first signed on here there weren't as
> >many flare-ups as there seem to be now,
> Even at their worst they only take up a very small corner of all
> the activity.
> >Feel free to use my name if you go to rec.music.folk.
> I told ya I ain't going there.
> >Stay out threads with "hammered dulcimer" in the header....they
> >can get nasty.
> I intend to.
> >Wanna have some fun?
> Nope.
> >Post a message asking for a definition of
> >folk music, then sit back and watch 'em bump heads....
> No, you. And while you're there . . .
Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages