Ovation owners: How do you keep it from slipping?

Kinstrey

Feb 15, 1995, 4:07:13 PM2/15/95

I just picked up an Ovation Ultra Deluxe super-shallow-bowl,
and am having problems keeping it in my lap while playing.
Does anyone have a any suggestions for preventing the slippage?
I'm thinking of attaching some kind of foam-rubber lining or
something non-skid to the bottom of the guitar, but I'm not
sure. I not thrilled with the idea of glueing something to
the guitar, 'cuz how do I then remove it to replace it?

Any ideas?
Mike
Mike Kinstrey (518)385-8214 "...like Houston. It's 180 degrees,
kins...@gnes02.sch.ge.com but it's a dry heat."
kins...@phecda.crd.ge.com - "Space-Dye Vest", Dream Theater

Nick Kourtides

Feb 15, 1995, 10:55:00 PM2/15/95

> Kinstrey (kins...@dso008.sch.ge.com) wrote:
>
> : I just picked up an Ovation Ultra Deluxe super-shallow-bowl,

> : and am having problems keeping it in my lap while playing.
> : Does anyone have a any suggestions for preventing the slippage?
> : I'm thinking of attaching some kind of foam-rubber lining or
> : something non-skid to the bottom of the guitar, but I'm not
> : sure. I not thrilled with the idea of glueing something to
> : the guitar, 'cuz how do I then remove it to replace it?
>
> : Any ideas?
> : Mike
> : --
> :

You don't need to glue anything to the guitar, just put a thin strip of
rubber, maybe 6 inches wide, across your knee will prevent the guitar from
sliding around.

nick

Jared O'Pry

Feb 16, 1995, 1:44:24 AM2/16/95
In <KINSTRMI.95...@dso008.sch.ge.com> kins...@dso008.sch.ge.com
(Kinstrey) writes:

>I just picked up an Ovation Ultra Deluxe super-shallow-bowl,
>and am having problems keeping it in my lap while playing.
>Does anyone have a any suggestions for preventing the slippage?
>I'm thinking of attaching some kind of foam-rubber lining or
>something non-skid to the bottom of the guitar, but I'm not
>sure. I not thrilled with the idea of glueing something to
>the guitar, 'cuz how do I then remove it to replace it?
>
>Any ideas?
>Mike

Well, I've had my Ultra Deluxe SS for several months now and I have
found that the only thing that helps is putting a strap adjusted in
rather tight. I know thats not a great fix, but I think its better than
glueing something to the guitar.

Jared
Schu...@ix.netcom.com

M.D.COLEMAN

Feb 16, 1995, 4:59:08 AM2/16/95

>Jared
>Schu...@ix.netcom.com

Does it not have a roughened patch at the bottom of the bowl where it rests
on your thigh? My legend does and it is usually OK. One way to fix your
problem would be to buy some double-sided tape and cut a piece from a car
rubber mat and attach the rubber to the guitar that way. When you sell it
just take the tape off and wash the remains of the glue off with warm water
and some detergent. I don't like the feel of the strap.

Happy twanging

MIKE

gary watts

Feb 16, 1995, 10:11:00 AM2/16/95

: >(Kinstrey) writes:

: >>I just picked up an Ovation Ultra Deluxe super-shallow-bowl,
: >>and am having problems keeping it in my lap while playing.
: >>Does anyone have a any suggestions for preventing the slippage?
: >>I'm thinking of attaching some kind of foam-rubber lining or
: >>something non-skid to the bottom of the guitar, but I'm not
: >>sure. I not thrilled with the idea of glueing something to
: >>the guitar, 'cuz how do I then remove it to replace it?
: >>
: >>Any ideas?
: >>Mike

3M sells roll material for surfaces like stairs and such. It is sold
at just about any hardware store. It comes in two varieties black and
grey, with the grey being a little more flexible and not quite as
rough. It has a pressure sensitive (sticky) back. You could cut it to
any shape you wanted. It comes in three widths and is sold by the foot.

You shouldn't have great difficulties getting it off if you decided
you didn't like it.

Gary Watts

Roger W. Stevens

Feb 16, 1995, 1:53:20 PM2/16/95
I aleways use a strap--can't imagine playing without one. So you
use a wide leather strap with a good nappy suede underside, tighten
it up and go. I have worse problems with some of my
headstock-heavy electrics (like the PBC Tension-Free-Neck guy).

It's much worse with the big bowls. The Super Shallow guys are a
lot easier to hold steady, IMO.

73, Roger WA3FLE
Norristown, PA

--
<<< "Ninety percent of success is showing up." >>>
>>> -Woody Allen <<<
<<< Roger W. Stevens WA3...@WB3JOE.PA.NA.USA >>>
>>> wa3...@wa3fle.ampr.org [44.80.12.33] <<<

David A Evans

Feb 16, 1995, 7:49:03 PM2/16/95
Kinstrey (kins...@dso008.sch.ge.com) wrote:

: I just picked up an Ovation Ultra Deluxe super-shallow-bowl,

: and am having problems keeping it in my lap while playing.
: Does anyone have a any suggestions for preventing the slippage?

Buy a real guitar...

| 1993 Seagull S-12 | кПГкФП ГкП | Noodles, |
| 1993 Fender Stratocaster | ГГГГкГПкФДУ кП | The Phantom |
| 1992 Gibson Les Paul Standard | ГРйРФйГРГйРйРП | Net Noodler! |
| 1962 Gibson Hummingbird | РФй РФФ Рй | dev...@osf1.gmu.edu |

"So rather than appear foolish afterward,
I renounce seeming clever now..."

- William of Baskerville,
from "The Name of the Rose"

Jared O'Pry

Feb 17, 1995, 1:59:06 AM2/17/95
>Does it not have a roughened patch at the bottom of the bowl where it
rests
>on your thigh? My legend does and it is usually OK. One way to fix your
>problem would be to buy some double-sided tape and cut a piece from a
car
>rubber mat and attach the rubber to the guitar that way. When you sell
it
>just take the tape off and wash the remains of the glue off with warm
water
>and some detergent. I don't like the feel of the strap.
>
>Happy twanging
>
>MIKE

You Know, when I read this I actually had to go and check (sheepish
grin). the Ultra Deluxe has a patch also, but it doesn't seem to help
me all that much.

Jared
Schu...@ix.netcom.com

S. Eames

Feb 17, 1995, 10:22:45 AM2/17/95
>I just picked up an Ovation Ultra Deluxe super-shallow-bowl,
>and am having problems keeping it in my lap while playing.
>Does anyone have a any suggestions for preventing the slippage?
>I'm thinking of attaching some kind of foam-rubber lining or
>something non-skid to the bottom of the guitar, but I'm not
>sure. I not thrilled with the idea of glueing something to
>the guitar, 'cuz how do I then remove it to replace it?

My old guitar teacher had a piece of velcro on the bottom of his ovation. I
would also guess that glues would not be too much of a problem with the
fibreglass body (no veneer to remove). I have a shallow bowl celebrity and
have had no problems, i just hold it in place with my right elbow.

simon

Jared O'Pry

Feb 17, 1995, 2:46:12 AM2/17/95
In <3i0rpv$i...@portal.gmu.edu> dev...@osf1.gmu.edu (David A Evans)
writes:

That's strong words from a man who admits to having a Seagull! :-)
All joking aside, I would never want to take something like a 1962
Gibson Humminbird on stage at a club. I would spend the whole night
just watching to make sure nobody would get grimy, theive-like hands on
it.

Jared
Schu...@ix.netcom.com

Tom Brown

Feb 17, 1995, 11:20:44 PM2/17/95
Use a chainsaw to flatten off the curves, then cover over the holes
with cardboard, plywood, or whatever you have lying around the garage.
This mod has the added benefit of improving the Ovation's tone.

Feb 18, 1995, 10:29:53 AM2/18/95
The ovation is an excellent guitar! Got one too.

SC Wong

Brad Ensminger

Feb 20, 1995, 2:29:42 AM2/20/95
in...@ecf.toronto.edu (INNES MATTHEW) writes:

>In article <504677...@rjriley.demon.co.uk>,
>Richard Riley <Ric...@rjriley.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>>Anybody wanna help me finish a list of Ovation players? I'll start with:
>>
>>Al Di Meola
>>Glen Campbell
>>Joan Armatrading....
>Adrian Legg
Jimmy Page

Mel Roux

Feb 20, 1995, 5:30:30 PM2/20/95
In article <504677...@rjriley.demon.co.uk> Ric...@rjriley.demon.co.uk (Richard Riley) writes:
>From: Ric...@rjriley.demon.co.uk (Richard Riley)
>Subject: Re: Ovation owners: How do you keep it from slipping?
>Date: Sun, 19 Feb 1995 21:04:52 +0000

>That Dave Adams.. for a butt head he's a real nice guy!

>Anybody wanna help me finish a list of Ovation players? I'll start with:

>Al Di Meola
>Glen Campbell
>Joan Armatrading....

What about me?

As for the slipping problem - hey, hasn't anybody heard of a thing called a
guitar strap - the leather/material thing you hook onto a guitar and the hang
it round your neck/shoulders?

Mel Roux

>--
>Richard Riley

Timothy C. May

Feb 21, 1995, 12:43:52 AM2/21/95
Richard Riley (Ric...@rjriley.demon.co.uk) wrote:
: That Dave Adams.. for a butt head he's a real nice guy!

: Anybody wanna help me finish a list of Ovation players? I'll start with:

: Al Di Meola
: Glen Campbell
: Joan Armatrading....

A waste of our collective time, if you'll pardon my bluntness.

First, Ovation has done this, in a flier that shows what looks to be a
hundred or so players who use Ovations. (Check with your dealer; and
they may use this list in advertisements...I would.)

Second, those who hate Ovation and talk about it's "rubber-bandy" or
"plasticky" sound will not be swayed.

--Tim May

Timothy C. May | Crypto Anarchy: encryption, digital money,
tc...@netcom.com | anonymous networks, digital pseudonyms, zero
| knowledge, reputations, information markets,
W.A.S.T.E.: Aptos, CA | black markets, collapse of governments.
Cypherpunks list: majo...@toad.com with body message of only:
subscribe cypherpunks. FAQ available at ftp.netcom.com in pub/tc/tcmay

Jim Stone

Feb 21, 1995, 11:49:55 AM2/21/95
Other Ovation users:

Pat Metheny
Larry Coryell
Steve Morse
Me (Model 1763 single cutaway classical - awesome axe!)

Jim S.

P.S. Mine doesn't slip off my lap as long as I sit upright; if I try to lounge back on the sofa
it's history.

In article <D4ACF...@ecf.toronto.edu> in...@ecf.toronto.edu (INNES MATTHEW) writes:
>In article <504677...@rjriley.demon.co.uk>,
>Richard Riley <Ric...@rjriley.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>>Anybody wanna help me finish a list of Ovation players? I'll start with:
>>
>>Al Di Meola
>>Glen Campbell
>>Joan Armatrading....
>

>Adrian Legg
>--
>Matt Innes University of Toronto in...@ecf.toronto.edu
> Engineering Science ai...@freenet.carleton.ca

Chaser

Feb 21, 1995, 1:13:42 PM2/21/95
In article <3icubs$10...@ra.lib.ucalgary.ca>, syw...@acs.ucalgary.ca (Stephen Yiu Wah Lau) says:

>Richard Riley (Ric...@rjriley.demon.co.uk) wrote:
>: Anybody wanna help me finish a list of Ovation players? I'll start with:
>
>: Al Di Meola
>: Glen Campbell
>: Joan Armatrading....
>
>Richie Sambora
>Adrian Legg
>s8
Alex Lifeson

Stephen Yiu Wah Lau

Feb 21, 1995, 9:46:20 AM2/21/95
Richard Riley (Ric...@rjriley.demon.co.uk) wrote:
: Anybody wanna help me finish a list of Ovation players? I'll start with:

: Al Di Meola
: Glen Campbell
: Joan Armatrading....

Richie Sambora
Adrian Legg
s8

--
Stephen Lau | Takamine EF-341-EC
The University of Calgary | Ovation CC-63

ben scott

Feb 23, 1995, 1:40:17 AM2/23/95
> As for the slipping problem - hey, hasn't anybody heard of a thing called a
> guitar strap - the leather/material thing you hook onto a guitar and the hang
> it round your neck/shoulders?

Whoa... New invention... Cool... Weren't you the guy who came up with
that clapper thing too? :)

I don't know. I'd have to say get a full bodied Ovation. Just has so
much nicer tone.

He died from an overdose of tequila, | Thes...@mp.sbay.org
a red ferrari, and a brick wall. | Bringing you mayhem, chaos
------------------------------------ | And everything that makes life fun.
These opinions are mine, | -------======|||||======-------
and should be yours. | Hey Ringo, have a banana...

Paul R. Piotrowski

Feb 23, 1995, 8:39:12 AM2/23/95
Chaser (ch...@phoenix.net) wrote:

Jeff Lynne during ELO's "Out of the Blue" era

Jon Crane (sar)

Feb 23, 1995, 3:51:13 PM2/23/95
Chaser (ch...@phoenix.net) wrote:
Robert Smith (does he count as a real guitar player? _I_ think so,)

--
Jon Crane cr...@virtu.sar.usf.edu

Chifuru Noda

Feb 24, 1995, 8:29:02 AM2/24/95
Add
Melissa Etheredge (sp?): She plays Ovation 12 string
Tony Rice !: He used Adamas in some of his CDs. Un believable but true,
I read it somewhere. Note that he uses it occasionally and his main axes
are Santa Cruz and the old Martin.

TIM DONAHUE

Feb 24, 1995, 1:11:15 PM2/24/95
Hey All:

here a list of Professionals who use Ovations in one way or other, this
list was supplied to me by a friend who has ties with Ovation(that another
story for another time.

Michal Wilton - Queensryche Adrian Vendenburg - Whitesnake
Chris DeGarmo - " Jeff Watson
Phil Collen - Def Leppard Nancy Wilson - Heart
Joe Elliott - " Duane Allen - Oak Ridge Boys
Vivian Campbell - " Dave Amato
Rick Savage - " Joan Armatrading
Jon Bon Jovi David Brown - Billy Joel
Jack Blades - Damn Yankees Bulletboys
Tommy Shaw - Damn Yankees Glen Cambell
Brian May - Queen John Chiodini - Natalie Cole
Roy Clark Seal
Kevin Cronin - REO Speedwagon Michael Bolton
Steve DeMarichi - Alias Steve Brown - Trixter
Steve Sutton Cheap Trick
Dion Chicago
Elliot Easton Larry Coryell
Roger Fisher - Alias Melissa Etheridge
Lee Greenwood Michael Fath
Frank Hannon - Telsa Lita Ford
Robert Fripp Gary Hoey
David Gilmour - Pink Floyd Matthias Jabs - Scorpions
Adrian Legg Mick Jagger
Alex Liefson - Rush Davey Johnstone - Elton John
Mick Mars - Motley Crue Mark Knopfler
Dave Mason Johhny Law - Brunette
Steve Morse John Lodge - Moody Blues
Vince Neil - Motley Crue George Michael
David Rhoades - Peter Gabriel Mark Miller - Sawyer Brown
Kenny Rodgers & Band Mind Funk
Aldo Nova Dave "Snake" Sabo - Skid Row
Eddie Rabbitt Terry Ree
Richie Samboro - Jon Bon Jovi Graham Russell - Air Supply
Michael Schenker Salty Dogs
Rudoulf Schenker - Scorpions Steve Stevens
Al Stewart Mark Slaughter
The Cure Billy Squier
Warrant Ted Nugent
Peter White - Al Stewart The Kinks
The Outlaws Tommy Williams
Aaron Tippin Vinnie Zummo

I sure there are others, and no I not connect with Ovation or Kaman, but I
sure love my Ovation.

enjoy,

TCDonahue

Frank L. DuBois

Feb 24, 1995, 10:32:08 PM2/24/95
In article <KINSTRMI.95...@dso008.sch.ge.com>

kins...@dso008.sch.ge.com (Kinstrey) writes:

>I just picked up an Ovation Ultra Deluxe super-shallow-bowl,
>and am having problems keeping it in my lap while playing.
>Does anyone have a any suggestions for preventing the slippage?
>I'm thinking of attaching some kind of foam-rubber lining or
>something non-skid to the bottom of the guitar, but I'm not
>sure. I not thrilled with the idea of glueing something to
>the guitar, 'cuz how do I then remove it to replace it?
>
>Any ideas?
>Mike
>--

Mike I've seen a rubber pad advertized in guitar mags to solve
this problem.______________________________________________________________
You could also make your own and attach it with a special spray on glue that is
sold for auto upholstery applications. Its easier to remove than contact ceme
nt and is pretty strong. Its expensive though. I think that 3m makes it. Goo
d Luck. Jetf...@AOL.com__________________________________________________

neasmic...@gmail.com

Jan 29, 2019, 10:30:25 AM1/29/19
Thank you for your question, I've been shopping for qn ovation and now I will not buy one for this reason

geoff

Jan 29, 2019, 6:50:18 PM1/29/19
Jeepers a reply to a 14-year-old question !

Answer 1 - Use a strap.
Answer 2 - Don't sit.
Answer 3 - Don't buy this guitar is answers 1 and 2 are a problem.

geoff

Nil

Jan 30, 2019, 3:57:12 PM1/30/19
On 29 Jan 2019, geoff <ge...@nospamgeoffwood.org> wrote in
rec.music.makers.guitar.acoustic:

>> Thank you for your question, I've been shopping for qn ovation
>> and now I will not buy one for this reason
>
> Jeepers a reply to a 14-year-old question !
>
> Answer 1 - Use a strap.
> Answer 2 - Don't sit.
> Answer 3 - Don't buy this guitar is answers 1 and 2 are a problem.

My Ovation has a rough, almost sandpaper-y patch on the lower side so
it can grip the leg when you're seated. It works pretty well. I prefer
to stand in any case. I don't play this guitar much, but that's not
because of any slipping issue.

Easy T

Aug 30, 2021, 3:04:15 AM8/30/21
There is a good solution below to keep your Ovation from slipping. You don’t have to stand up, or use a strap or simply not use Ovation the way you want to. Please read on=>

Ovation's kick ass in a lot of ways and they have their own sound. I have a 1977 USA Glen Campbell that had a crescent shaped anti-slip pad on it that was coming off so I just yanked it off the rest of the way. Ovation used to sell them with this feature but they got away from it in the 80's for whatever reason. I then bought a US made 1978 model 1768 Elite, black with gold h/ware. Both are amplified and both have their place in the studio. When I began playing 45 minute sets on Pearl Street in Boulder, CO I noticed my model 1768 would slip, a real drag when playing live sitting down. And come to think of it the Glen Campbell also slipped when sitting after I pulled what was left of the factory anti-slip pad off.

I have other dreadnaughts I can play on Pearl Street but I happen to like the way my 1768 sounds when amplified a bit through my AC/DC, battery powered Roland Micro Cube amp.

So I therefore needed to keep if from slipping, and this is what I came up with:

1) Foam like kitchen cabinet liners. Cut to size and use silicone to adhere it to the bottom edge of the guitar where it makes contact with your thigh. Don't use Epoxy or super glue or similar adhesive because they are difficult to get off of the guitar when the anti-slip pad begins to wear out and you want to replace it with a new one, or when you want to remove it for whatever reason. I've found that a "fat" oval shape is best.

2) Get anti-slip tape with adhesive backing from Home Depot and Lowes. 3M makes it and they call it Safety-Walk. It comes in pieces about 20” x 5” for about $8.00. Ace h/ware also sells something similar but they are smaller pre-cut pieces and they are $12.00. Use MS Word or MS PowerPoint or similar to draw the correct size oval for your Ovation to use as a template. The size will depend on the depth of the bowl, but you want as much contact as possible for best results. Cut the template out after printing it and trace around it on the backing paper. Then use aviation snips (or your wife’s good crafting scissors if you enjoy sleeping on the couch for a week or more) to cut out the oval anti-slip pad. Carefully install it and your Ovation will no longer slip while playing sitting down.

3) Buy a no-slip pad from the grocery store in the gadget aisle. Women use these to help them open cans and such, and they will also keep your Ovation in place nicely. These pads are about 6” square so you will need to cut to size.
Number 2 (above) is my preferred method because of the adhesive backing. This makes it easier to install. I have never tried number 3, but may if I get a third Ovation.

Good luck with it and hope you can now enjoy your Ovation for years to come, even when playing while sitting down.