Imagine

Country

Dec 8, 2010, 1:10:22 PM12/8/10
30 years ago today...

Still bums me out.

-C-

Dar

Dec 8, 2010, 2:55:35 PM12/8/10

it was 60 years ago today, Seargent Pepper taught the band to play...

but the doors to a fabulous future are flung wide open , as bleak as
things on the outside seem sometimes.

amaril...@yahoo.com

Dec 8, 2010, 6:37:11 PM12/8/10
And 69 years ago that Japan bombed Pearl Harbor (yesterday for us)..

LA

Dec 9, 2010, 12:10:33 PM12/9/10
to rec.music.makers...@googlegroups.com
Øystein Aarseth
David "Stringbean" Akeman
Judith Barsi
Alan Berg
Big L (Lamont Coleman)
Marc Blitzstein
Francis Boggs
Buck Naked and the Bare Bottom Boys
Bugz
Susan Cabot
Lana Clarkson
Sam Cooke
Tara Correa-McMullen
Bob Crane
Dimebag Darrell
Dominique Dunne
Marvin Gaye
Dora Gerson
Theo van Gogh (film director)
Anna Guarini
Phil Hartman
Al Jackson
Jam Master Jay
Victor Kilian
August von Kotzebue
Vijaya Kumaratunga
Karyn Kupcinet
John Lennon
Mac Dre
Michel Velleman
Sal Mineo
Haing S. Ngor
The Notorious B.I.G.
Ramón Novarro
Felix Pappalardi
Nasrat Parsa
Pier Paolo Pasolini
Merlin Santana
Rebecca Schaeffer
Selena
Tupac Shakur
Soulja Slim
Paco Stanley
Dorothy Stratten
Igor Talkov
Sharon Tate
William Desmond Taylor
Peter Tosh
Luis Vigoreaux
Mia Zapata
Zapp (band)

LA

Dec 9, 2010, 12:10:43 PM12/9/10
to rec.music.makers...@googlegroups.com

Norman Draper

Dec 9, 2010, 2:38:29 PM12/9/10

Yeah, whenever I think of John Lennon, I can't help but remember
Biggie Smalls.....

Norman (Yeah, Right) Draper

LA

Dec 9, 2010, 3:14:43 PM12/9/10

I'm sorry that Biggie's murder tarnished the value of Lennon's murder
for you.

LA

Norman Draper

Dec 9, 2010, 5:10:23 PM12/9/10
> LA- Hide quoted text -

John Lennon had many shortcomings that need not be gone into here.
Biggie at his best made Lennon at his worst seem like a choirboy.

Someone posts about Lennon's death and you come back with a list of
people who were murdered. What was your point? To show folks here
that others have been murdered? That the loss of Dorothy Stratten was
as great as the loss at Pearl Harbor?

What the fuck, Len.... Can't you ever just leave something alone?

Norman Draper

hank alrich

Dec 9, 2010, 6:18:49 PM12/9/10
Norman Draper <norman...@verizon.net> wrote:

> Someone posts about Lennon's death and you come back with a list of
> people who were murdered. What was your point?

That he can cut and paste. Impressive, considering.

http://armadillomusicproductions.com/who'slistening.html
http://www.sonicbids.com/HankandShaidriAlrichwithDougHarman

LA

Dec 9, 2010, 7:10:30 PM12/9/10

I posted a list of other murdered entertainers which I thought might
be of some interest. To me, murder is murder. If you see it
differently, you're certainly entitled to that opinion.

LA

Country

Dec 10, 2010, 2:05:26 PM12/10/10

Did you not get that it was the 30th anniversary of one murder in
particular?

BTW, Have you heard Sam Bush's recent (I think) song about the murders
of Mr. and Mrs. Stringbean?

-C-

Norman Draper

Dec 10, 2010, 3:34:20 PM12/10/10

All murders are equal? Horseshit.

Norman (Double Horseshit) Draper

Dar

Dec 10, 2010, 3:55:18 PM12/10/10
> Norman (Double Horseshit) Draper- Hide quoted text -

but he has a point, in a bigger picture; if all people are created
equal....

Dorgan

Dec 10, 2010, 5:50:45 PM12/10/10

"Norman Draper" <norman...@verizon.net> wrote in message

On Dec 9, 7:10 pm, LA <sunsidese...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Dec 9, 4:10 pm, Norman Draper <normandra...@verizon.net> wrote:

Norman (Double Horseshit) Draper

Hey,

Forget this dipshit and
go down to the Irish Pub and have a beer on me.

I've got a tab there that I'll pay it off someday.

Hell, buy the bar a drink on me.

dorgan

(you guys think he bought it?)

persisten...@yahoo.com

Dec 10, 2010, 7:47:55 PM12/10/10

It's your tab, kiddo. Of course he didn't buy it.

Pete

Norman Draper

Dec 10, 2010, 7:48:11 PM12/10/10
On Dec 10, 5:50 pm, "Dorgan" <dor...@fltg.net> wrote:
> (you guys think he bought it?)- Hide quoted text -

HEY!! I'll see everyone at The Pub in an hour!!!

Norman (We're Drinking On Dorgan!) Draper

Country

Dec 10, 2010, 8:07:23 PM12/10/10

Am I there yet? Get back with me on that.

-C-

Wilbur Slice

Dec 11, 2010, 12:12:23 AM12/11/10
On Fri, 10 Dec 2010 12:55:18 -0800 (PST), Dar <shel...@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>On Dec 10, 1:34 pm, Norman Draper <normandra...@verizon.net> wrote:

>> All murders are equal?  Horseshit.

>but he has a point, in a bigger picture; if all people are created
>equal....

All people might be created equal, but they don't die equal.

LA

Dec 11, 2010, 4:59:17 AM12/11/10

Go tell that to the people that loved on of those less then equal
murder victims.

LA

Dar

Dec 11, 2010, 7:33:44 AM12/11/10
On Dec 10, 10:12 pm, Wilbur Slice <wil...@wilburslicehome.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 10 Dec 2010 12:55:18 -0800 (PST), Dar <shelt...@yahoo.com>

> wrote:
>
> >On Dec 10, 1:34 pm, Norman Draper <normandra...@verizon.net> wrote:
>
> >> All murders are equal? Horseshit.
> >but he has a point, in a bigger picture; if all people are created
> >equal....
>
> All people might be created equal, but they don't die equal.

and the bigger picture is that they end up equal, eventually .
obviously I don't buy into any sort of eternal damnation scenario.

Wendy

Dec 11, 2010, 9:34:22 AM12/11/10

Spot on, Dar. Death is the ultimate equalizer and, well, it is what
it is. None of us are getting out of here alive.
Now, as to the list: Marvin Gaye- that man was good. I can't listen
to What's Goin' On? without getting an it-doesn't-get-any-cooler-than-
this vibe.

Wendy

LA

Dec 11, 2010, 10:32:26 AM12/11/10

Yes, of course I did. It was exactly the reminder of that tragic event
which prompted me to find and post the list as a possible topic of
discussion (been kinda quiet around here)............on Dec 9 if you
would notice. Simple as that.

> BTW, Have you heard Sam Bush's recent (I think) song about the murders
> of Mr. and Mrs. Stringbean?

I checked it out. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DpKhnG1DOLw&feature=related

The tune was co-written by Bush, Guy Clark and Verlon Thompson

LA

persisten...@yahoo.com

Dec 11, 2010, 10:54:04 AM12/11/10
On Sat, 11 Dec 2010 01:59:17 -0800 (PST), LA <sunsid...@gmail.com>
wrote:

All murder is wrong. I think Norman is simply making the point that
some people's murders cause more grief than others, and they are
therefore more significant.

There are still people putting flowers on Jim Morrisson's grave in
Pere Lachaise, and compared to Lennon he was a two-bit bar singer.

Pete

Wilbur Slice

Dec 11, 2010, 11:00:21 AM12/11/10
On Sat, 11 Dec 2010 04:33:44 -0800 (PST), Dar <shel...@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>On Dec 10, 10:12 pm, Wilbur Slice <wil...@wilburslicehome.com> wrote:

No? Apparently you've never been to Branson, MO...

Wendy

Dec 11, 2010, 11:11:15 AM12/11/10
On Dec 11, 7:54 pm, persistent_offen...@yahoo.com wrote:
> On Sat, 11 Dec 2010 01:59:17 -0800 (PST), LA <sunsidese...@gmail.com>

My one and only visit to Pere Lachaise was to visit Amadeo
Modigliani's grave. He now rests next to Jeanne Hebuterne, his lover
and would-be mother to his child had she not thrown herself out the
window of their apartment in her ninth month of pregnancy upon
learning of his death. There's tragedy, and then there's tragedy.
Modigliani fascinates me and the story of his life continues to
fascinate me. There's art, of course, an Italian Jew loose in Paris,
an alcohol and hashish obsession shrink-wrapped to an incredible
talent, and a way of seeing that transcended the Picasso gang. This
isn't an art group so I'll stop now. Good stuff, nonetheless.

Wendy

John Sorell

Dec 11, 2010, 11:13:32 AM12/11/10
Wilbur Slice <wil...@wilburslicehome.com> wrote in

Is that place like the Love Boat, except it's for has been entertainers
instead of has been actors?

John

hank alrich

Dec 11, 2010, 11:29:40 AM12/11/10
<persisten...@yahoo.com> wrote:

"Every day, almost 16,000 children die from hunger-related causes.
That's one child every five seconds."

http://www.bread.org/hunger/global/

LA

Dec 11, 2010, 1:35:25 PM12/11/10
On Dec 11, 9:54 am, persistent_offen...@yahoo.com wrote:
> On Sat, 11 Dec 2010 01:59:17 -0800 (PST), LA <sunsidese...@gmail.com>

I acknowledged his viewpoint earlier in this thread.

And I'll accept your comparison of Lennon and Morrison.... in a
relative sense.

I wonder what the world reaction would be if Jagger was gunned down?

LA

Norman Draper

Dec 11, 2010, 4:01:17 PM12/11/10

You acknowledged my what?? I must have missed that. But it doesn't
matter... You're acknowledgement of just about anything is irrelevant
to me. I won't speak for anyone else here.

Again, this thread began as recognition of John Lennon's death. RIP,
John.

Norman Draper

Dar

Dec 11, 2010, 4:10:32 PM12/11/10
On Dec 11, 9:00 am, Wilbur Slice <wil...@wilburslicehome.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 11 Dec 2010 04:33:44 -0800 (PST), Dar <shelt...@yahoo.com>

> wrote:
>
> >On Dec 10, 10:12 pm, Wilbur Slice <wil...@wilburslicehome.com> wrote:

> >> All people might be created equal, but they don't die equal.
>
> >and the bigger picture is that they end up equal, eventually .
> >obviously I don't buy into any sort of  eternal damnation scenario.
>
> No?  Apparently you've never been to Branson, MO...

LOL !!! no, and I don't think they'd have me, either !

Dar

Dec 11, 2010, 4:15:14 PM12/11/10
> Wendy- Hide quoted text -

and some people who we idolize were never really the
superhuman beings we sometimes imagined them to be.
Jimi Hendrix, for all his visionary, incendiary guitar work,
wrestled with his demons, his addictions, was known to
be abusive to women . we tend to forgive our celebrities
more than we do average people. Charlie Sheen, Woody
Allen... it's a long list , and back to art, I'm pretty sure Dali
was a bit on the strange side , but I've wandered OT again too, so...
Dar

Mike Brown

Dec 11, 2010, 5:09:39 PM12/11/10
In article
<e0f95813-4dcc-474a...@h17g2000pre.googlegroups.com>,
Wendy <wendyt...@gmail.com> wrote:

I would be surprised if there were not quite a few posters here who are
very interested in art if not artists. I painted from the mid 50s until
the late 70s when music and other activities took over, and I have just
starting to work with pastels recently.

MJRB

LA

Dec 11, 2010, 5:53:33 PM12/11/10

Whatever.

LA

Dar

Dec 11, 2010, 6:24:30 PM12/11/10
> Norman Draper- Hide quoted text -

try to Imagine ... the music we might have. same with Hendrix ,
if he hadn't died far too young. sometimes the fiery explosions of
youthful creativity fade away as a person ages, but sometimes they
keep burning , a permanent flame of output. that is rare and to be
treasured. a few of my favorite artists (musical) are like that ,
Bill Nelson and Kitaro just off the top . I Imagine Lennon would
be such an ongoing fount of creative output , and I imagine Jimi
would still be dazzling us asn well.

persisten...@yahoo.com

Dec 11, 2010, 7:23:23 PM12/11/10
On Sat, 11 Dec 2010 15:24:30 -0800 (PST), Dar <shel...@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>On Dec 11, 2:01 pm, Norman Draper <normandra...@verizon.net> wrote:

We can only speculate. Personally I found Lennon's last album
unlistenable and cheesily sentimental to the point of mawkishness.

I reckon after the Beatles folded he did about one albums's worth of
decent music. Of course the stuff he did with the Beatles was
transcendental, and that's what I remember him for.

Pete

Dar

Dec 11, 2010, 11:03:52 PM12/11/10
On Dec 11, 5:23 pm, persistent_offen...@yahoo.com wrote:
> On Sat, 11 Dec 2010 15:24:30 -0800 (PST), Dar <shelt...@yahoo.com>
> Pete- Hide quoted text -

yeah , good point, but with that transendence,
it always left the possibility of more at some point.
(2nd mental note today to reconnect w/ fab 4.
I have one Beatles song in my posession :
'Within You Without You ' the East Indian tune
by Hari Georgeson off of ... Sgt. Peppers (?).
it's on one of my East Indian mixes.

and we all shine on

Ed Edelenbos iPad

Dec 12, 2010, 1:59:56 AM12/12/10

As opposed to MacCartney... who put out what, 2 listenable tunes after
Beatles? It's inescapable (to me, at least). The whole (of the
Beatles) was more than the parts. Uhm... I'll admit it, I'm a Lennon
fan.

In general, I disagree with Lenny. In fact, I wish people would quit
replying to him so I wouldn't have to see what he has to say because
often it seems to be caustic for caustics' sake. But in this case, I
understand his point. And again, I'm a Lennon fan. I think Lennon made
an important contribution to music and pop culture. His contribution
made a significant impression on me. (Too bad I didn't osmose some of
his talent.) But senseless murder is uh.. uhm... senseless. Lenny's
list was of artists. I'd go a far as saying that list ought to include
a lot more names. Just because I'm not familiar with some names doesn't
diminish their contribution to the human condition.

Ed

--
This is posted from my iPad

Dar

Dec 12, 2010, 4:20:06 AM12/12/10
On Dec 11, 11:59 pm, Ed Edelenbos iPad <e...@huh.wha> wrote:
> <persistent_offen...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> > On Sat, 11 Dec 2010 15:24:30 -0800 (PST), Dar <shelt...@yahoo.com>
> This is posted from my iPad- Hide quoted text -

have to agree about the synergy of the Beatles (and Alcamoz).
especially have to agree about Paul, whose crimes against humanity
with some of that smarmy pop are unforgiveable, i.m.o. . I won't
remember him for 'Vanila Sky' or the B tunes, I'll remember him
for 'Silly Love Songs' ...unless he gets murdered, I guess .
if I'm honest, how someone dies puts a spin on how I percieve
their life. Jim Morrison: self-indulgent alcoholic , od'd in a
bathtub.
Lennon , former junkie , shot down in the street by a deranged fan.
John lived through his dark time; Jim didn't ; that's the big
difference,
and it makes more of a difference to me than it probably should.

Dar

Dec 12, 2010, 6:46:31 AM12/12/10
> D- Hide quoted text -

and the big difference of one being murdered, the other dying by
their own hand

Mike Brown

Dec 12, 2010, 7:01:57 AM12/12/10

> try to Imagine ... the music we might have. same with Hendrix ,
> if he hadn't died far too young. sometimes the fiery explosions of
> youthful creativity fade away as a person ages, but sometimes they
> keep burning , a permanent flame of output. that is rare and to be
> treasured. a few of my favorite artists (musical) are like that ,
> Bill Nelson and Kitaro just off the top . I Imagine Lennon would
> be such an ongoing fount of creative output , and I imagine Jimi
> would still be dazzling us asn well.

I thought that Lennon was past his best long before he died.

When he started to think he was a genius he lost touch with reality and
with real music.

Just my opinion as usual.

MJRB

Mike Brown

Dec 12, 2010, 7:05:18 AM12/12/10
In article
<174cd973-4b75-4579...@y31g2000vbt.googlegroups.com>,
Dar <shel...@yahoo.com> wrote:

I only have one Beatles album (the "White Album"), and that's only
because my Daughter had two copies and left one here when she got
married.

MJRB

persisten...@yahoo.com

Dec 12, 2010, 7:23:22 AM12/12/10

Macca hasn't done too well either. Ram is great in it's entirety
though. Harrison did the best work after the Beatles simply by hanging
out with other great players and songwriters. A good move - he was the
one of the three songwriters in the Beatles who realised he was an
ensemble player and made the most of it.

Pete

Norman Draper

Dec 12, 2010, 2:41:14 PM12/12/10
On Dec 12, 1:59 am, Ed Edelenbos iPad <e...@huh.wha> wrote:
> <persistent_offen...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> > On Sat, 11 Dec 2010 15:24:30 -0800 (PST), Dar <shelt...@yahoo.com>

Ed,

WARNING: apology post!!

I'm going to apologize for being the one to initiate LA's latest round
of quasi-caustic commentary. 99.99% of the time I manage to ignore him
completely. There are those occasions when he just irks me and I
respond before I take a moment to remember who I'm dealing with (I
know... with whom I'm dealing....).

An additional apology.... for apologizing!

Norman (I Feel Clean And Free!) Draper

persisten...@yahoo.com

Dec 12, 2010, 5:57:12 PM12/12/10

I'm sorry I took you seriously. Never made that mistake before....

Pete

Dar

Dec 12, 2010, 6:49:31 PM12/12/10

still, and mostly since I attempred to make a point and so might as
well attempt
to construct a scenario wherein it might be a point worth attempting,
I'd hold out for
a person that had at some time done some genius-level work to be able
to recapture that again
some time; the potential always being there .

just from how I've evolved from around the age he was when he died ,
to now, 13
years older, I feel like the best potential might be in our later
years. as I alluded to earlier,
I like to see what mature talent can do . but I do agree that being
grounded is important .

LA

Dec 13, 2010, 8:20:30 AM12/13/10

It's a relief to know that you will no longer make emotionally charged
attempts provoke me.

LA

Norman Draper

Dec 13, 2010, 11:01:41 AM12/13/10

LOL! I didn't say that!! And you wouldn't know "emotionally charged"
if it bit you on your ass.....

For the most part you are just laughable to me. As I said, there are
times you irk me. You attack people without provocation. You are
mean-spirited, but you know and thrive on that. Why you say what you
say is beyond me.... Hell, why DO you say the things you do?? It's a
mystery, at least to me.

Everybody's wonderin' what and where they all came from.
Everybody's worryin' 'bout where they're gonna go when the whole
thing's done.
But no one knows for certain and so it's all the same to me.
I think I'll just let the mystery be.

Have a good day......

Norman (Let The Mystery Be) Draper

LA

Dec 13, 2010, 1:16:06 PM12/13/10

In one breath you're speaking in absolutes about what I do or don't
know, and what I do or don't do, and in the next you admit to having
no clue about my behaviour.

How do you rationalize those inconsistencies?

LA

persisten...@yahoo.com

Dec 13, 2010, 8:51:44 PM12/13/10
On Mon, 13 Dec 2010 10:16:06 -0800 (PST), LA <sunsid...@gmail.com>
wrote:

>On Dec 13, 10:01 am, Norman Draper <normandra...@verizon.net> wrote:

What? Rational? Inconsistencies? This is RMMGA fer Chrissake.

Unheard of.

Pete

Dar

Dec 13, 2010, 10:40:18 PM12/13/10
On Dec 13, 6:51 pm, persistent_offen...@yahoo.com wrote:
> On Mon, 13 Dec 2010 10:16:06 -0800 (PST), LA <sunsidese...@gmail.com>
> Pete- Hide quoted text -

you are correct. it is highly illogical to be rational here.

Wilbur Slice

Dec 13, 2010, 10:53:32 PM12/13/10
On Mon, 13 Dec 2010 19:40:18 -0800 (PST), Dar <shel...@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>> >How do you rationalize those inconsistencies?

>> >LA
>>
>> What? Rational? Inconsistencies? This is RMMGA fer Chrissake.
>>
>> Unheard of.
>>

>you are correct. it is highly illogical to be rational here.

But, OTOH, it's highly rational to be illogical here.

(and BTW - if you're going to tack a one-liner onto a really long post
like that, would all youse guys PLEASE trim all the extraneous and
irrelevant parts of the message, so we don't have to scroll all the
way down to read the latest bon mot? Thank yew)

Mike Brown

Dec 14, 2010, 12:53:38 AM12/14/10
Thought it was about time somebody snipped this thread.

MJRB

Norman Draper

Dec 14, 2010, 1:08:55 AM12/14/10

I don't see any absolutes back there, so I have no response to that
one. As to understanding your behavior, I'll offer anyone here a
bottle of his or her favorite scotch if an explanation your actions is
offered. And I mean your behavior in the long term, not just here in
this thread,

Caveat: It has to be a real explanation, not merely a series of
descriptive terms. Boorish, loutish, contemptible.... While they
certainly are accurate in your case, they don't really explain
anything. My guess is to split the difference between genetics and
environment, but I'm just taking the safe road.

Norman (I Really Am Wondering) Draper

Dar

Dec 14, 2010, 4:11:59 AM12/14/10
On Dec 13, 8:53 pm, Wilbur Slice <wil...@wilburslicehome.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 13 Dec 2010 19:40:18 -0800 (PST), Dar <shelt...@yahoo.com>

sure, it's all about what's convenient for YOU. no consideration
for my sadistic pleasure taken in knowing that people like
you are scrolling down for a horrid 2 or 3 extra seconds for the
next-to-nothing reward at the end. so this is how it's going to be,
eh?.

Dar

Dec 14, 2010, 7:10:45 AM12/14/10
> Norman (I Really Am Wondering) Draper- Hide quoted text -

unresolved childhood trauma evolves into unrelenting adulthood drama .

enjoy the scotch (what good would just one bottle do?)

Wilbur Slice

Dec 14, 2010, 8:36:54 AM12/14/10
On Tue, 14 Dec 2010 01:11:59 -0800 (PST), Dar <shel...@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>On Dec 13, 8:53 pm, Wilbur Slice <wil...@wilburslicehome.com> wrote:

I'm sorry.

persisten...@yahoo.com

Dec 14, 2010, 8:48:08 AM12/14/10

Like the rest of us, LA is a perfect gent offline. He just likes
taking the piss online, and not all the time either. When something
attracts his attention or needs some advice he posts absolutely
straight.

It's us lot that fall for the wind ups.

Pete

Wendy

Dec 14, 2010, 9:59:17 AM12/14/10
On Dec 12, 4:23 pm, persistent_offen...@yahoo.com wrote:

> On 12 Dec 2010 06:59:56 GMT, Ed Edelenbos iPad <e...@huh.wha> wrote:
>

> ><persistent_offen...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> >> On Sat, 11 Dec 2010 15:24:30 -0800 (PST), Dar <shelt...@yahoo.com>

At risk of sounding like an "I agree with Pete" chorus, I'd have to
agree with the George Harrison bit. "All Things Must Pass" is, in my
mind, a masterpiece. It's not Rubber Soul, I admit, but I think it is
far and away the best post-Beatles work by a Beatle out there.
McCartney appears, in the lens of history, to be the musical glue that
held the band together but you can't glue a few things together unless
you have a few things to glue.

All deaths are untimely and John Lennon's was no more tragic that some
18-year old kid getting killed in a place he can't pronounce and his
parents couldn't find on a map. Life's like that. Bad things just
happen and I've learned that there really isn't much anyone can do to
prevent them.

Wendy

Country

Dec 14, 2010, 10:30:51 AM12/14/10
On Dec 14, 12:08 am, Norman Draper <normandra...@verizon.net> wrote:

> I don't see any absolutes back there, so I have no response to that
> one.  As to understanding your behavior,  I'll offer anyone here a
> bottle of his or her favorite scotch if an explanation your actions is
> offered. And I mean your behavior in the long term, not just here in
> this thread,
>
> Caveat: It has to be a real explanation, not merely a series of
> descriptive terms.  Boorish, loutish, contemptible.... While they
> certainly are accurate in your case, they don't really explain
> anything.  My guess is to split the difference between genetics and
> environment, but I'm just taking the safe road.
>
> Norman (I Really Am Wondering) Draper

OK, I'll go for that bottle of Scotch. Her is my explantation.

His father was a relentlessly self-improving boulangerie owner from
Belgium with low grade narcolepsy and a penchant for buggery. His
mother was a fifteen year old French prostitute named Chloe with
webbed feet.

His father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous
claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse
chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the
genius possess and the insane lament.

His childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the
spring He'd make meat helmets. When he was insolent he was placed in a
burlap bag and beaten with reeds- pretty standard really. At the age
of twelve he received his first scribe. At the age of fourteen a
Zoroastrian named Vilma ritualistically shaved his testicles.

I bet you didn't know that Lenny was Dr. Evil.

-C-

Norman Draper

Dec 14, 2010, 10:55:30 AM12/14/10

We have a winner!! We are no longer taking entries!!

Len's father invented the question mark?? NOW I'm impressed!!

Off topic for a moment.... Talking about inventions, I read an article
in which part was dedicated to the concept of zero. I "knew" that
zero had not always been around, but to think that both the Greeks and
Romans managed to limp along without one is amazing to me. There's a
program on PBS about the building of the Parthenon that is a real eye-
opener. To think they did it without a zero is....

Mandatory Guitar Content: I'm a mahogany guy these days.

Back to our regularly scheduled programming......

Norman (And Adirondack Spruce) Draper

LA

Dec 14, 2010, 11:37:05 AM12/14/10

Considering your bio, no one will believe any of that.

Peter Gay was born in 1963 under the pseudonym of Boz. He spent his
formative years as a lathe worker in the East End of London before
trekking the several miles to Manchester to learn how to read. Having
learned how to read, he realised he had trekked to Scunthorpe and that
the map was upside down.

At the age of 19, he married a local coal miner named Sarah and had
five children; his wife had none. They divorced in 1964 and, realising
the time paradox, the marriage was anulled.Gay became addicted to
number 2 pencils and entered rehab at the age of 22. He was there for
three years.

After finally finding the exit doors, he vowed never to return and
started a charity for other addicts with DFD (directional fucktard
disorder) in an attempt to stem the flow of idiots who were getting
lost throughout the British Isles. To this day, he is still looking
for his office and, although remarried, he has never met his wife. He
is 103 and tastes like chicken.

MKR

Dec 14, 2010, 12:07:05 PM12/14/10
On Dec 14, 9:55 am, Norman Draper <normandra...@verizon.net> wrote:

> Off topic for a moment.... Talking about inventions, I read an article
> in which part was dedicated to the concept of zero.  I "knew" that
> zero had not always been around, but to think that both the Greeks and
> Romans managed to limp along without one is amazing to me.  There's a
> program on PBS about the building of the Parthenon that is a real eye-
> opener.  To think they did it without a zero is....

And to think that, without zeroes, the Framus would never have been
invented...

Dar

Dec 14, 2010, 3:12:08 PM12/14/10
On Dec 14, 6:36 am, Wilbur Slice <wil...@wilburslicehome.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 14 Dec 2010 01:11:59 -0800 (PST), Dar <shelt...@yahoo.com>
> I'm sorry.- Hide quoted text -

I'm sorry for making you sorry.

John Sorell

Dec 14, 2010, 3:40:48 PM12/14/10
Wilbur Slice <wil...@wilburslicehome.com> wrote in

Does your keyboard have a "Page Down" key? Why not just press it
and hold it down until you are at the end of the document. One
stinkin' little press with a finger and your misery is abated.

John

Dar

Dec 14, 2010, 4:37:54 PM12/14/10
On Dec 14, 9:37 am, LA <sunsidese...@gmail.com> wrote:

> After finally finding the exit doors, he vowed never to return and
> started a charity for other addicts with DFD (directional fucktard
> disorder) in an attempt to stem the flow of idiots who were getting
> lost throughout the British Isles. To this day, he is still looking
> for his office and, although remarried, he has never met his wife. He
> is 103 and tastes like chicken.- Hide quoted text -

we had no idea , and now I'm suspicious of his idea about what
a 'perfect gent' is .

Steve Daniels

Dec 14, 2010, 5:31:09 PM12/14/10
On 14 Dec 2010 20:40:48 GMT, against all advice, something
compelled John Sorell <j.sore...@comcast.net>, to say:

> > (and BTW - if you're going to tack a one-liner onto a really

> long post
> > like that, would all youse guys PLEASE trim all the extraneous
> and
> > irrelevant parts of the message, so we don't have to scroll all
> the
> > way down to read the latest bon mot? Thank yew)
>
> Does your keyboard have a "Page Down" key? Why not just press it
> and hold it down until you are at the end of the document. One
> stinkin' little press with a finger and your misery is abated.

Actually, trimming posts is a polite thing to do for your
readers. I'd like to see more of it.

--

Howdya like that... we started playing guitar to impress the chicks and wind
up talkin' fingernails with old men.

Ray Boyce - 9.27.09

persisten...@yahoo.com

Dec 14, 2010, 6:13:23 PM12/14/10
On Tue, 14 Dec 2010 08:37:05 -0800 (PST), LA <sunsid...@gmail.com>
wrote:

>On Dec 14, 7:48 am, persistent_offen...@yahoo.com wrote:

Damn - and I thought I could trust you!

Boz

Country

Dec 14, 2010, 6:50:20 PM12/14/10
On Dec 14, 2:40 pm, John Sorell <j.sorellM...@comcast.net> wrote:
> Wilbur Slice <wil...@wilburslicehome.com> wrote innews:vcqdg6hvaqmie7ico...@4ax.com:

> > On Mon, 13 Dec 2010 19:40:18 -0800 (PST), Dar
>
> <shelt...@yahoo.com>

> >>you are correct. it is highly illogical to be rational here.
>
> > But, OTOH, it's highly rational to be illogical here.
>
> > (and BTW - if you're going to tack a one-liner onto a really
> long post
> > like that, would all youse guys PLEASE trim all the extraneous
> and
> > irrelevant parts of the message, so we don't have to scroll all
> the
> > way down to read the latest bon mot?   Thank yew)
>
> Does your keyboard have a "Page Down" key? Why not just press it
> and hold it down until you are at the end of the document. One
> stinkin' little press with a finger and your misery is abated.
>
> John

My keyboard has white and black keys. The black keys are kinda sharp
except for the ones that sound flat.

-C-

Dar

Dec 14, 2010, 8:04:13 PM12/14/10
On Dec 14, 3:31 pm, Steve Daniels <sdani...@gorge.net> wrote:
> On 14 Dec 2010 20:40:48 GMT, against all advice, something
> compelled John Sorell <j.sorellM...@comcast.net>, to say:

holy sacred cow, if I was going to be polite to my readers,
I wouldn't be able to write most of what I write .

DS

Ed Edelenbos iPad

Dec 14, 2010, 8:43:26 PM12/14/10

Polite? Wouldn't that take the fun out of usenet?

Dar

Dec 15, 2010, 5:57:12 AM12/15/10
On Dec 13, 8:53 pm, Wilbur Slice <wil...@wilburslicehome.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 13 Dec 2010 19:40:18 -0800 (PST), Dar <shelt...@yahoo.com>

it's Google's fault. their system displays a "show quoted text" and
options , which I generally ignore so it looks like by default
whatever I'm replying to shows up .

But hey, how 'bout that Pete ?... he's so friggin diplomatic that he
even got Lenny to act
nice for a change . well, what passes for nice in Lenny Land (^;

John Sorell

Dec 15, 2010, 9:40:42 AM12/15/10
Country <ShyP...@aol.com> wrote in

> On Dec 14, 2:40�pm, John Sorell <j.sorellM...@comcast.net> wrote:
>> Wilbur Slice <wil...@wilburslicehome.com> wrote

>> innews:vcqdg6hvaqmie7ico8
> im7t8e81...@4ax.com:

>> > On Mon, 13 Dec 2010 19:40:18 -0800 (PST), Dar
>>
>> <shelt...@yahoo.com>

>> > But, OTOH, it's highly rational to be illogical here.
>>
>> > (and BTW - if you're going to tack a one-liner onto a really
>> long post
>> > like that, would all youse guys PLEASE trim all the extraneous
>> and
>> > irrelevant parts of the message, so we don't have to scroll all
>> the
>> > way down to read the latest bon mot? � Thank yew)
>>
>> Does your keyboard have a "Page Down" key? Why not just press it
>> and hold it down until you are at the end of the document. One
>> stinkin' little press with a finger and your misery is abated.
>>
>> John
>

> My keyboard has white and black keys. The black keys are kinda sharp
> except for the ones that sound flat.
>
> -C-

I thought that was called open tuning?

John

John Sorell

Dec 15, 2010, 9:44:50 AM12/15/10
And, some people grew up believing that it is more polite to post a
response at the beginning of the thread. Although, I believe most of
those folks have devolved into Tea-Baggers.

Too bad you can't have it both ways. From the trend of things it looks
like you aren't going to get it either way.

John

Steve Daniels <sdan...@gorge.net> wrote in

Dar

Dec 15, 2010, 4:53:13 PM12/15/10
On Dec 15, 7:44 am, John Sorell <j.sorellREM...@comcast.net> wrote:
> And, some people grew up believing that it is more polite to post a
> response at the beginning of the thread. Although, I believe most of
> those folks have devolved into Tea-Baggers.
>
> Too bad you can't have it both ways. From the trend of things it looks
> like you aren't going to get it either way.
>
> John
>
> Steve Daniels <sdani...@gorge.net> wrote innews:6vrfg6l6v8b8v2pd7...@4ax.com:

> > On 14 Dec 2010 20:40:48 GMT, against all advice, something
> > compelled John Sorell <j.sorellM...@comcast.net>, to say:

> >>     Wilbur Slice <wil...@wilburslicehome.com> wrote in
>
> >>     > (and BTW - if you're going to tack a one-liner onto a really
> >>     long post
> >>     > like that, would all youse guys PLEASE trim all the extraneous
> >>     and
> >>     > irrelevant parts of the message, so we don't have to scroll all
> >>     the
> >>     > way down to read the latest bon mot?   Thank yew)
>
> >>     Does your keyboard have a "Page Down" key? Why not just press it
> >>     and hold it down until you are at the end of the document. One
> >>     stinkin' little press with a finger and your misery is abated.
>
> > Actually, trimming posts is a polite thing to do for your
> > readers.  I'd like to see more of it.- Hide quoted text -

Teabagging is a step up for a lot of Americans

Country

Dec 15, 2010, 6:13:25 PM12/15/10

From what? Uh, no, wait a minute. On second thought, I don't want
know.

-C-

Dar

Dec 15, 2010, 6:41:02 PM12/15/10
> -C-- Hide quoted text -

right , I think that's better left alone.

hank alrich

Dec 16, 2010, 2:40:29 AM12/16/10
MKR <mkro...@gmail.com> wrote:

Just think of all the guitars Martin could never have built!

http://armadillomusicproductions.com/who'slistening.html
http://www.sonicbids.com/HankandShaidriAlrichwithDougHarman

Stephen

Dec 18, 2010, 7:06:05 AM12/18/10
On 9/12/2010 10:37 AM, amaril...@yahoo.com wrote:
> And 69 years ago that Japan bombed Pearl Harbor (yesterday for us)..

The US got revenge for that one, big time.

--
Stephen
Ballina, NSW

John Sorell

Dec 18, 2010, 10:29:42 AM12/18/10
Stephen <cald...@hotmail.com> wrote in news:Qs1Po.5477$gM3.679
@viwinnwfe01.internal.bigpond.com:

> On 9/12/2010 10:37 AM, amaril...@yahoo.com wrote:
>> And 69 years ago that Japan bombed Pearl Harbor (yesterday for us)..
>
> The US got revenge for that one, big time.

So, you consider them even?

John

Dar

Dec 18, 2010, 2:01:27 PM12/18/10
On Dec 18, 8:29 am, John Sorell <j.sorellREM...@comcast.net> wrote:
> Stephen <calder...@hotmail.com> wrote in news:Qs1Po.5477$gM3.679
> @viwinnwfe01.internal.bigpond.com:

> > On 9/12/2010 10:37 AM, amarillo2...@yahoo.com wrote:
> >> And 69 years ago that Japan bombed Pearl Harbor (yesterday for us)..
>
> > The US got revenge for that one, big time.
>
> So, you consider them even?
>
> John

when was getting even ever enough for 'us' ?

Les Cargill

Dec 18, 2010, 3:06:40 PM12/18/10

Better than even. We're allies now.

--
Les Cargill

Steve Hawkins

Dec 18, 2010, 3:14:09 PM12/18/10
Dar <shel...@yahoo.com> wrote in news:1afc841a-b442-4b7a-929a-
9e2963...@y31g2000vbt.googlegroups.com:

They still owe us for Dr. Deming! :-)

Steve Hawkins
--
My CD "Finger Painting" can be ordered from:

Me at - stephen DOT hawkins5 AT frontier DOT com

or through CD Baby (credit cards, international)

http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/hawkinssteve

JD

Dec 18, 2010, 5:15:26 PM12/18/10
On 12/18/2010 12:14 PM, Steve Hawkins wrote:
> Dar<shel...@yahoo.com> wrote in news:1afc841a-b442-4b7a-929a-
> 9e2963...@y31g2000vbt.googlegroups.com:
>
>> On Dec 18, 8:29 am, John Sorell<j.sorellREM...@comcast.net> wrote:
>>> Stephen<calder...@hotmail.com> wrote in news:Qs1Po.5477$gM3.679
>>> @viwinnwfe01.internal.bigpond.com:

> us)..

>>> So, you consider them even?
>>>
>>> John
>>
>> when was getting even ever enough for 'us' ?
>>

> They still owe us for Dr. Deming! :-)
>
> Steve Hawkins

The reason Deming was sent to Japan was because he
was regarded as a lunatic by American
industrialists. Because MacArthur mandated unions
and because the Japanese embraced Deming's
doctrine of Statistical Process Control they
proceeded kick our ass economically. Toyota forgot
these principles and look what happened to them.

Stephen

Dec 18, 2010, 6:29:24 PM12/18/10

Not for me to say. Do you?

--
Stephen
Ballina, NSW

Wilbur Slice

Dec 18, 2010, 7:38:29 PM12/18/10
On Sat, 18 Dec 2010 14:15:26 -0800, JD <jdblac...@gmail.com> wrote:

>The reason Deming was sent to Japan was because he
>was regarded as a lunatic by American
>industrialists. Because MacArthur mandated unions
>and because the Japanese embraced Deming's
>doctrine of Statistical Process Control they
>proceeded kick our ass economically. Toyota forgot
>these principles and look what happened to them.

What happened to Toyota?

JD

Dec 18, 2010, 7:58:45 PM12/18/10

You been living under a rock? Toyota's quality
went way down and they had record recalls.
Confidence in the brand suffered badly and the CEO
damn near committed hari-kari for putting profits
and growth before quality and reputation.

Steve Hawkins

Dec 18, 2010, 8:33:38 PM12/18/10
JD <jdblac...@gmail.com> wrote in news:4d0d3288$0$5903$c3e8da3
$1cbc...@news.astraweb.com:

Actually, the Japanese felt the same way, they were just too polite not
to try it anyway. Here's a nice article about him and his 14 points.

http://www.lii.net/deming.html

I believe the playing field with Japan has been pretty level the last
decade or so with both of us getting products made in China. Japan lost
their edge when the Japanese worker started getting wages closer to
American workers. Costs had to be controlled elsewhere. If the Chinese
worker ever rises up and demands the same piece of the pie, manufacturing
in the US could see a revival.

Wilbur Slice

Dec 18, 2010, 8:58:19 PM12/18/10
On Sat, 18 Dec 2010 16:58:45 -0800, JD <jdblac...@gmail.com> wrote:

>On 12/18/2010 4:38 PM, Wilbur Slice wrote:
>> On Sat, 18 Dec 2010 14:15:26 -0800, JD<jdblac...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>>> The reason Deming was sent to Japan was because he
>>> was regarded as a lunatic by American
>>> industrialists. Because MacArthur mandated unions
>>> and because the Japanese embraced Deming's
>>> doctrine of Statistical Process Control they
>>> proceeded kick our ass economically. Toyota forgot
>>> these principles and look what happened to them.
>>
>> What happened to Toyota?
>>

>You been living under a rock? Toyota's quality
>went way down and they had record recalls.

Living under a rock? No, I've been driving a Toyota. Best car I've
ever owned. Toyota's quality did not go "way down", that was all
hysterical bullshit. After the actual investigations and research was
done, it turned out that there weren't problems any worse than other
companies.

http://www.businessweek.com/bwdaily/dnflash/content/jan2010/db20100128_907800.htm

But once the popular press gets ahold of something, it gets blown out
of proportion and the general public comes to believe things that
aren't actually true. The fact is, Toyota's quality is as high as
ever - Consumer Reports consistently rates them near the top in
reliability.

john

Dec 18, 2010, 9:01:04 PM12/18/10

I don't even consider them.

Rick Ruskin

Dec 18, 2010, 10:06:42 PM12/18/10

Toyota's reputation took a big hit mostly because of the company's
attempts to sweep safety and reliability issues with their products
under the rug. I'm still a fan of their cars but the initial
corporate "duck & cover" routine was a big mistake that will take
years to recover from.
Rick Ruskin
Lion Dog Music - Seattle WA
http://liondogmusic.com
http://www.myspace.com/rickruskin

Wilbur Slice

Dec 18, 2010, 11:02:06 PM12/18/10
On Sat, 18 Dec 2010 19:06:42 -0800, Rick Ruskin <lio...@isomedia.com>
wrote:

Except that it turned out that Toyota didn't actually have "safety and
reliability issues" with their products. They initially tried to say
that (what you call "sweeping it under the rug"), but lawyers smelled
money and the popular media ate up the stories about stuck
accelerators, which turned out to be bogus - no electronic or
mechanical problems were found, according to investigations by the
National Highway Traffic Safety Administration and NASA.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/08/11/toyota-acceleration-probe_n_678354.html

It wasn't "duck and cover" - they were telling the truth. But a lot
of people fell for the hype, and so it passes into legend that Toyota
had some quality issues, when in fact their quality has always been
among the best in the industry.

Remember the summer before 9/11? In 2001 that summer, it was the year
of the shark attacks. Sharks were eating people left and right,
according to the popular media. And everybody fell for it - but the
truth was that there were actually less shark attacks that year than
average. When the popular press starts harping on an issue, it
becomes "truth" to a lot of people, regardless of the facts.

Mike Brown

Dec 19, 2010, 7:04:40 AM12/19/10
In article <ed0rg6thhcocqresh...@4ax.com>,
Wilbur Slice <wil...@wilburslicehome.com> wrote:

Sounds as though you have Murdoch news sources over there too.

After all the bastard is an American now (and you're welcome to him).

MJRB

Dar

Dec 19, 2010, 7:46:35 AM12/19/10
On Dec 19, 5:04 am, Mike Brown <rocko...@chariot.net.au> wrote:
> In article <ed0rg6thhcocqreshklaobblh7l0rqp...@4ax.com>,
>  Wilbur Slice <wil...@wilburslicehome.com> wrote:
>

> > On Sat, 18 Dec 2010 19:06:42 -0800, Rick Ruskin <lion...@isomedia.com>

> > wrote:

> > >Toyota's reputation took a big hit mostly because of the company's
> > >attempts to sweep safety and reliability issues with their products
> > >under the rug.  I'm still a fan of their cars but the initial
> > >corporate "duck & cover" routine was a big mistake that will take
> > >years to recover from.
>
> > Except that it turned out that Toyota didn't actually have "safety and
> > reliability issues" with their products.  They initially tried to say
> > that (what you call "sweeping it under the rug"), but lawyers smelled
> > money and the popular media ate up the stories about stuck
> > accelerators, which turned out to be bogus - no electronic or
> > mechanical problems were found, according to investigations by the
> > National Highway Traffic Safety Administration and NASA.
>
> >http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/08/11/toyota-acceleration-probe_n_...

> > ml
>
> > It wasn't "duck and cover" - they were telling the truth.  But a lot
> > of people fell for the hype, and so it passes into legend that Toyota
> > had some quality issues, when in fact their quality has always been
> > among the best in the industry.
>
> > Remember the summer before 9/11?  In 2001 that summer, it was the year
> > of the shark attacks.  Sharks were eating people left and right,
> > according to the popular media.  And everybody fell for it - but the
> > truth was that there were actually less shark attacks that year than
> > average.  When the popular press starts harping on an issue, it
> > becomes "truth" to a lot of people, regardless of the facts.
>
> Sounds as though you have Murdoch news sources over there too.
>
> After all the bastard is an American now (and you're welcome to him).
>
> MJRB- Hide quoted text -

actually, we should bomb the crap out of you for sending that
cocksucker and his terrorist news organization over here .
Dar

persisten...@yahoo.com

Dec 19, 2010, 8:52:45 AM12/19/10
On Sun, 19 Dec 2010 04:46:35 -0800 (PST), Dar <shel...@yahoo.com>
wrote:

It would make more sense to bomb the crap out of Murdoch.

Pete

hank alrich

Dec 19, 2010, 9:21:37 AM12/19/10
JD <jdblac...@gmail.com> wrote:

A look into it suggests their recall rate is not out of line with that
of the rest of their industry, but that certain factors may have
combined to get them more publicity than most under the same scenario.

LA

Dec 19, 2010, 10:10:06 AM12/19/10
On Dec 18, 10:02 pm, Wilbur Slice <wil...@wilburslicehome.com> wrote:

> It wasn't "duck and cover" - they were telling the truth.  But a lot
> of people fell for the hype, and so it passes into legend that Toyota
> had some quality issues, when in fact their quality has always been
> among the best in the industry.

Yeah, we all know that god himself builds toyotas

The sinners must own the ones with the sludged up engines, rust
perforated frames, and bad trannys.

Cars and restaurants are two toughest businesses to shake off a bad
rep. Toyota and was ahead of the pack into the mid 90s. Now they're
just another car company. It's the Koreans turn to rule the roost

JD

Dec 19, 2010, 10:42:31 AM12/19/10
On 12/19/2010 6:21 AM, hank alrich wrote:
> JD<jdblac...@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> What happened to Toyota?
>>>

>> You been living under a rock? Toyota's quality
>> went way down and they had record recalls.
>> Confidence in the brand suffered badly and the CEO
>> damn near committed hari-kari for putting profits
>> and growth before quality and reputation.
>
> A look into it suggests their recall rate is not out of line with that
> of the rest of their industry, but that certain factors may have
> combined to get them more publicity than most under the same scenario.

When you sink down to "the rest of the industry" I
might be inclined to view that a bit more harshly.
A cultivated trust violated by lapsing into a
short term profit at any cost mindset.

Dar

Dec 19, 2010, 3:55:29 PM12/19/10
On Dec 19, 6:52 am, persistent_offen...@yahoo.com wrote:
> On Sun, 19 Dec 2010 04:46:35 -0800 (PST), Dar <shelt...@yahoo.com>
> Pete- Hide quoted text -

and so it will never happen

Rick Ruskin

Dec 19, 2010, 4:07:12 PM12/19/10
On Sun, 19 Dec 2010 12:55:29 -0800 (PST), Dar <shel...@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>On Dec 19, 6:52 am, persistent_offen...@yahoo.com wrote:

How do you bomb the crap out of a crap bomb like Murdoch?

Dar

Dec 19, 2010, 5:46:00 PM12/19/10
On Dec 19, 2:07 pm, Rick Ruskin <lion...@isomedia.com> wrote:
> On Sun, 19 Dec 2010 12:55:29 -0800 (PST), Dar <shelt...@yahoo.com>
> Lion Dog Music - Seattle WAhttp://liondogmusic.comhttp://www.myspace.com/rickruskin- Hide quoted text -

good question; he's already crapped more than an army of
normal men could crap in a lifetime

It is loading more messages.