Guild DV52 driving me crazy

hp2...@my-dejanews.com

May 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/13/99
Hi all and George,

Just happened to play a Guild DV52 today and was really surprised at
how good I thought it sounded. I have been playing (mostly
fingerpickin') small bodied guitars (Taylor 712, Martin 000-1, couple
of classicals) and frankly I was just about blown away. I don't mean
that it was just loud, but really rich, if that would be a good word.

So, is that just a property of dreadnaughts in general? The sucker felt
really big on my lap but it sure did sound nice. The strange thing is
I have never considered Guilds at all, always heard they were just
overbraced tanks, but right now I can't think about anything else!
Help me please. Any comments from you experienced folks would be
appreciated... help me.... help me.....

Ol' Don again in BA

JoSh

May 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/13/99
I think Guild acoustic have been looked over as one of the best sounding
guitars with all the other big players like Martin, Taylor, etc. the first
time I picked up a Guild it was a D55, they're top line production acoustic
priced at about $1300. I played it side by side with a Martin HD-28,
HD-28VR, and HD-35 (all dreadnaughts) and some Taylor 800 series. I was
also blown away at how well the Guild performed compared to the others. It
sound just as clear, resonant, warm and deep as the rest. If not better I
would say.

one thing about the DV-52 is that it uses a special type of bracing that is
supposed to give it a more "vintage" sound quality, hence the "V' in DV52.
it is a solid rosewood bodied acoustic and a has solid spruce top, some of
the best tone woods.

bc

May 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/13/99

-------
"Once in a while, you get shown the light in the strangest of places
If you look at it right"
--Hunter/Garcia
the above e-mail address remains totally fictional.
the real one is bc9424@spamTHIS!.concentric.net (if you remove spamTHIS!.)
PGP Key fingerprint = CDD8 7656 5066 500E D09A 0E17 763A D38D 0EE0 D9EE
...bc...

gark...@aol.com

May 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/14/99
In article <7hfc0c$qmh$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>,

hp2...@my-dejanews.com wrote:
> Hi all and George,
>
> Just happened to play a Guild DV52 today and was really surprised at
> how good I thought it sounded. I have been playing (mostly
> fingerpickin') small bodied guitars (Taylor 712, Martin 000-1, couple
> of classicals) and frankly I was just about blown away. I don't mean
> that it was just loud, but really rich, if that would be a good word.
>
> So, is that just a property of dreadnaughts in general? The sucker
felt
> really big on my lap but it sure did sound nice. The strange thing is
> I have never considered Guilds at all, always heard they were just
> overbraced tanks, but right now I can't think about anything else!
> Help me please. Any comments from you experienced folks would be
> appreciated... help me.... help me.....
>
> Ol' Don again in BA

I think that the DV-52 is one of the better guitars that Guild makes.
The one's I've seen over the last year have been fairly consisent. And,
at least in the Minneapolis area, they been available for around $800. I
think that is a good price for an all solid rosewood and spruce dread,
especially when they toss in a hard shell case.

On another note, I played a Guild all mahogany M-20 yesterday, and that
guitar was less than inspiring. Of course, I was just finger noodling
with it. Perhaps some aggresive flatpicking would open it up.

George Garklavs

aerie

May 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/14/99

Oh Don, you just landed in my neck o' the woods, so to speak. I've been
playing a Guild D25 for over 20 years and have never even made eyes at
another because of it. Yes, she is a big battleship -- the old ones were
braced in the event that World War III breaks out -- but the tone,
projection and sustain have become incredible over the years.

Welcome to the party!

All the best,
Ann

no...@pacbell.net

May 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/14/99
hp2...@my-dejanews.com wrote:

> Hi all and George,
>
> Just happened to play a Guild DV52 today and was really surprised at
> how good I thought it sounded. I have been playing (mostly
> fingerpickin') small bodied guitars (Taylor 712, Martin 000-1, couple
> of classicals) and frankly I was just about blown away. I don't mean
> that it was just loud, but really rich, if that would be a good word.
>
> So, is that just a property of dreadnaughts in general? The sucker felt
> really big on my lap but it sure did sound nice. The strange thing is
> I have never considered Guilds at all, always heard they were just
> overbraced tanks, but right now I can't think about anything else!
> Help me please. Any comments from you experienced folks would be
> appreciated... help me.... help me.....

i would suggest buying the guild
i've always liked guilds, recently spent an a couple of hours at GC,
playing the martin larivee taylor guilds, from 499-4999 in price-the
winner?
guild d4, 4999-this guitar had the wonderful balanced rich tone with no
playability problems, great intonation, live as it could be. who woulda
thunk it

C.D. Damron

May 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/14/99
The Guilds are known for their volume.

cdd

hp2...@my-dejanews.com wrote in message <7hfc0c$qmh$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>...

>Hi all and George,
>
>Just happened to play a Guild DV52 today and was really surprised at
>how good I thought it sounded. I have been playing (mostly
>fingerpickin') small bodied guitars (Taylor 712, Martin 000-1, couple
>of classicals) and frankly I was just about blown away. I don't mean
>that it was just loud, but really rich, if that would be a good word.
>
>So, is that just a property of dreadnaughts in general? The sucker felt
>really big on my lap but it sure did sound nice. The strange thing is
>I have never considered Guilds at all, always heard they were just
>overbraced tanks, but right now I can't think about anything else!
>Help me please. Any comments from you experienced folks would be
>appreciated... help me.... help me.....

SMC4454

May 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/15/99
It's refreshing to see a series of posts in which no one bashes the hell out of
a particular manufacturer.

A Lurker

C.D. Damron

May 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/15/99
I think that anyone that comments on a guitar should also submit the serial
number of said guitar. I'm sick of seeing the same folks saying they
played a 100 different guitars!!!!

cdd

hp2...@my-dejanews.com

May 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/16/99
I would just like to thank everybody for their comments on the DV52.
Seems like we dwell a lot here on Martin - Collings - Santa Cruz-
Goodall - and I appreciate the positive comments about a guitar I had
never seriously considered before. Now I feel that my impressions of
this beast being nice feeling and nice sounding are not unreasonable.
Think I might just buy it. Everybody should have one dreadnought I
guess!

Ol' Don in BA

In article <7hkbf7$sm6$1...@nw001t.infi.net>,

"C.D. Damron" <dam...@lex.infi.net> wrote:
> I think that anyone that comments on a guitar should also submit the
serial
> number of said guitar. I'm sick of seeing the same folks saying they
> played a 100 different guitars!!!!
>
> cdd

> SMC4454 wrote in message <19990515123120.00982.00001181@ng-

cc1.aol.com>...
> >It's refreshing to see a series of posts in which no one bashes the
hell
> out of
> >a particular manufacturer.
> >
> >A Lurker

Charlie Bryant

May 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/18/99
I played a Guild D30 today that was absolutely wonderful. Big, loud,
balanced. Maple back and sides. Weighed about 400 pounds and sounded
like a piano. For less than a thousand bucks I have seen no better
guitar. This one was $929. Hoo wee.

--
-----------------------------------
Charlie Bryant

bob0...@gmail.com

Jun 17, 2016, 4:02:01 AM6/17/16
the more you hear guild's the more you will love them. Buy it bring it home be happy.

mark.b...@gmail.com

Jun 17, 2016, 4:31:22 AM6/17/16
On Friday, 17 June 2016 09:02:01 UTC+1, bob0...@gmail.com wrote:
> the more you hear guild's the more you will love them. Buy it bring it home be happy.

And another zombie thread rises from the grave.

(God! I feel nostalgic seeing that stuff was posted from Deja News!)

Donald Erickson

Jul 9, 2016, 3:25:39 PM7/9/16
On Thursday, May 13, 1999 at 12:00:00 AM UTC-7, hp2...@my-dejanews.com wrote:
> Hi all and George,
>
> Just happened to play a Guild DV52 today and was really surprised at
> how good I thought it sounded. I have been playing (mostly
> fingerpickin') small bodied guitars (Taylor 712, Martin 000-1, couple
> of classicals) and frankly I was just about blown away. I don't mean
> that it was just loud, but really rich, if that would be a good word.
>
> So, is that just a property of dreadnaughts in general? The sucker felt
> really big on my lap but it sure did sound nice. The strange thing is
> I have never considered Guilds at all, always heard they were just
> overbraced tanks, but right now I can't think about anything else!
> Help me please. Any comments from you experienced folks would be
> appreciated... help me.... help me.....
>
> Ol' Don again in BA

I played one of those for quite some time. Bought it "new,old stock" from Mando Bros. Very warm - sort of like Guild was trying to build a D-35. Great rhythm guitar. It had a lot of damage from being stored in a non-humidified space, but because I was the first owner, Westerly basically rebuilt the guitar for me - no charge. Traded it and another guitar for a braz Larrivee D-09 and was later sorry I had done so. Enjoy yours!

Don in Simi

Bill

Jul 9, 2016, 10:55:41 PM7/9/16
Donald Erickson wrote:
> On Thursday, May 13, 1999 at 12:00:00 AM UTC-7, hp2...@my-dejanews.com wrote:
>> Hi all and George,
>>
>> Just happened to play a Guild DV52 today and was really surprised at
>> how good I thought it sounded. I have been playing (mostly
>> fingerpickin') small bodied guitars (Taylor 712, Martin 000-1, couple
>> of classicals) and frankly I was just about blown away. I don't mean
>> that it was just loud, but really rich, if that would be a good word.
>>
>> So, is that just a property of dreadnaughts in general?

There are so many variables (type of wood, size and thickness of body,
etc.) that it is unfair to generalize here. You don't have to like all
dreadnaughts, but if you find one you like....

rr...@charter.net

Jun 7, 2020, 9:55:44 PM6/7/20
I’ve had my DV52 since 1999; it’s a 95 sunburst DV52,and I paid $900 for it. I still haven’t seen another sunburst DV52. It’s a great instrument and competes well with top of the line Martins for a third of the price. Scalloped bracing makes it very responsive. I’ve actually bought an HD28 Martin a few years (10) ago and sold a few years later since mine (DV52) simply was better.