Stelling-Mandolin ?

1 view

0000-Admin(0000)

Nov 30, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/30/95
Anybody here, which one can tell me about Stelling Mandolins ?
Prices, experiences ?

Thanks

Hans

rnab...@execpc.com

Dec 4, 1995, 3:00:00 AM12/4/95
I read in an article that Stelling (whose main business is making some of the
world's best banjos) was convinced by an employee to dabble in Mandolins
for a while as a result of the employees personal interest. I don't think he made
many, but if their banjos are any indication, you could expect excellent
craftmanship. They also made a few guitars. I believe Russell Moore of
IIIrd Tyme Out has one and holds it on the cover of "Across the Miles"

Rod Nabholz
West Bend, Wi U.S.A,
Email address: rnab...@execpc.com
CompuServe: 74461,2122

Jm721

Dec 4, 1995, 3:00:00 AM12/4/95
Can't tell you about mandos, but the Stelling Banjos are exquisite. Geoff
Stelling used to be in San Diego, Calif. but now he is out on the East
Coast. His banjos have excellent crisp tone. I would suspect that his
mandos are similar (do mandos vary in "warm mellow" tones to "crisp
bright" tones?)

Anyhow, I'm in the market for a new banjo and my first choice is a
stelling. They are in the high end market due to quality. The instrument
I want is about $2,000 and is pretty basic....no fancy inlays or
gold-plating. I would bet that any instrument Stelling is putting on the
market is superior in quality to many of his competitors.
Good Luck!

Mickey Stinnett

Dec 6, 1995, 3:00:00 AM12/6/95
Stelling does make a mandolin, actually I think they have made 2. I
played the last one made in Gettysburg this past fall. It was a
beautiful instrument, a bit pricy tho, about 4G's I believe. Nice
mando..if you have the means!