Opinions/insights needed (Martin DCXME and Yamaha APX 5)

SigFig

May 25, 2001, 12:05:26 AM5/25/01
Hi!

I've been a lurker on this newsgroup for quite some time (and have learned a
lot!)...I just graduated from high school and I've decided to put my grad money
towards a new guitar. I'm really excited!! I went looking around today and
played two models that stood out to me (and that were in my price range of
$500-$600) - I was wondering if any of y'all have any experience with these
particular guitars or the brands in general.

The first was a Martin DCXME electric/acoustic -- I mean, hey. It's a Martin!
Sounded good plugged in and not, Fishman Classic 4 Sonicore electronics...and a
"high pressure laminate" top. Does a HPL reduce sound quality drastically
versus a solid spruce top or whatnot? I'm a newbie when it comes to things
like this...I hope I'm not sounding too ignorant.

The second was a Yamaha APX 5 -- I have a bit of a bias against Yamahas since
the guitar program at my school was full of cheap ones, but how do they compare
with others in the same price range? I thought that for a smaller body it had
excellent tone unplugged and it sounded great through the amp as well. (It
could have just been the amp - again I'm a bit uneducated). It was just an
overall nice sounding (and playable) guitar.

There's also another store with some Seagulls in my price range though I didn't
have the opportunity to sit down and try one.

I've got plans to continue to play gigs and whatnot in college, so I think an
electric acoustic would be the way to go...I also liked the cutaways in terms
of being able to solo and do other such things up the neck.

Any comments on any of this would be appreciated, or if you can direct me to
any web pages that could help, that would be great too! Thanks for reading.
:-)

Jana
cha...@aol.com

MAIB

May 25, 2001, 10:14:43 AM5/25/01
Hello Jana,

Excellent decision on how to spend that cash! Whatever guitar you buy, plan
on keeping it forever. Years from now, you'll enjoy just looking at it.

I haven't played the particular X model Martin you mention, but I have
played a few other X's, and I own a DXM (without cutaway and electronics).
HPL does cost you in terms of tone quality. Definitely. You don't buy an X
model Martin for tone. I have a few other (very good) dreads, and when I
play them next to the DXM there is a dramatic difference in sound.

Still, there are good reasons to own an X. The sound is not *bad*, in the
sense that it is consistent, actually strums quite nicely, and works fine as
an accompaniment, or even for "fancier" playing. It's the playing, not the
"fine tone", that it's really about anyway. The X will also be very
durable. Hard to hurt HPL. It won't be finicky about humidity changes.
You can get a decent gigbag for it (I bought the Martin gigbag for mine,
cost about $60), and lug it anywhere. It's a fine guitar for many very good
purposes. It also plays well, like a Martin should. It looks decent. And
it has "Martin" on the headstock (and most people won't know the
difference). I very much like mine. I carry it to the local public forest
to walk my dog and carry a little folding seat. I sit on a rock in the
middle of a local "creek", and I don't worry about it getting wet. I love
it.

For your money, you will probably not find too many decent instruments with
electronics, and certainly not also with a cutaway. I personally do not
care for Yamahas. They make nice pianos, but I just don't want one of their
guitars. Martin also has a nice warranty and a good reputation for backing
it.

You might look at the 000 version of the X. They make it in a deep dark
black, with electronics and cutaway, for around the same money. It is
slightly smaller and very comfortable to play (and carry), looks cool, and
the two that I have played sounded damn decent for HPL.

Twenty years or so ago, a dear friend gave me a then-new Martin Shenandoah.
These were not known for their tone quality. I didn't really care at the
time. It said "Martin" on the headstock, which made me proud (still does).
And it played well. I still have that guitar. I don't play it any more.
But I had it out of the case yesterday and I was ruminating over the
fretboard. The damn thing is worn near out, all the way up the neck. I
only played this guitar for about six years (then went into a ten-year
period without music, which I deeply regret). But in that six years I must
have played the hell out of that old Martin. I'll never sell it. It just
happens that yesterday I received a phone call from the person who gave that
guitar to me so many years ago. She has a very serious illness now. . . .
. I guess that's why I was staring at the old guitar. That, and a few
photos.

Just a thought. I didn't mean to get dramatic. But I do believe almost any
Martin is a guitar you can keep for your entire life. Can't say that about
all makes.

Enjoy it, whatever you buy.

Mark

"SigFig" <cha...@aol.comnojunk> wrote in message

Michael Schweisthal

May 25, 2001, 10:37:45 PM5/25/01
That was a very thoughtful reply that Mark just offered to you, Jana.
I think you mentioned Seagulls in your original post, right? I
haven't actually ever played a Seagull, but almost every post on this
newsgroup about lower-end guitars mentions the quality of Seagulls for
the price. But...play one and see for yourself how it feels to you.
Whatever you get, enjoy the heck out of it! :)

Michael Schweisthal

Greg

May 27, 2001, 2:56:18 AM5/27/01
Hi! Without casting any aspersions on Yamahas (I've seen some great ones!),
I'd like to say that Martins are amazing--I bought one of their new "SWD"
models & it's just beautiful to play. I was going to recommend that you
look at the guitar review databases at Harmony Central, though, for
additional perspectives (www.harmony-central.com/Guitar/Data4/) on the 'X'
models...lots of people have lots of opinions...always.

Also, Elderly Instruments in Michigan sells Martins at great prices, & the
lower-end regular wood models (the DM and the all-solid-mahogany D15) run
just about $600...you could buy one with your budget now, & add electronics
later.... (www.elderly.com)

Just some thoughts.

--
Greg Harris
www.storyplace.net

"Michael Schweisthal" <smi...@qwest.net> wrote in message

SigFig

May 27, 2001, 5:16:31 PM5/27/01
Hi everyone,

Thanks so much for the input! I've decided to go with a Martin, but I haven't
found "the one" yet. I've also decided to forego the electronics and cutaway
as some of you suggested, so I can get a better guitar for the money and not
pay for the all the extras right away. I'm going to continue hunting, there
are a few stores here with a large selection of the 15 series and I believe
some of the Road series as well. Shopping around will do me good.

Thanks again for all the help!!!

Jana