Tunings for Hummel an langeleik

clifford wright

Jan 8, 2011, 4:44:49 PM1/8/11
Any one found agood source of information for tunings of these forms of
dulcimer?
I have made an 8 string version and have it tuned in G and C with the
drones over 3 octaves and the melody strings tuned up to A sharp for minor.
However I understand that there are some more unusual traditional tunings,
but so far I haven't been able to locate them.
Can some kind musician point me in the right direction?
Regards Clifford Wright Helensville New Zealand

1 Lucky Texan

Jan 8, 2011, 8:19:36 PM1/8/11

Was my post in march not helpful?

clifford wright

Jan 9, 2011, 5:40:05 AM1/9/11
1 Lucky Texan <alck...@swbell.net> wrote in

Thanks! It did give me one or two ideas. But I have come across some vague
mentions of some quite odd tunings and drone combinations.
However never a full rundown.
Don't for get my instrument has 8 strings, of which the first 2 are melody
strings. Although I built the instrument and play by ear I am not a trained
musician. Actualy I am a retired Electronics engineer and amateur
astronomer with a strong interest in my Scandinavian and Irish ancestry.
Clifford Wright.

Dwain Wilder

Jan 9, 2011, 12:17:26 PM1/9/11

Wikipedia has a list of langeleik players and builders. There are
several U.S. communities of players listed at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_spelemannslag
as well as Scandanavian communities.

I got this information by googling "langeleik" You'll find a lot more
entries there.

Dwain Wilder
Bear Meadow Appalachian Dulcimers

1 Lucky Texan

Jan 10, 2011, 12:15:32 PM1/10/11
On Jan 9, 4:40 am, clifford wright <c.c.wri...@paradise.net.nz> wrote:

I've only read a little about music history or theory. I seem to
recall that even the entire scale may have been shifted quite a bit in
the past from A=440, some antique instruments seeming to be much
flatter, some sharper. And that's just 'western' music scales.

You may either be on your own in which case music theory may offer
some help, or perhaps find some music-oriented Scandinavian historian
for assistance.