Bass Dulcimers

Jean A. Coombs

Jul 17, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/17/96

Any suggestions for music for bass dulcimers?

Thanks.

David H. Deitrick

Jul 17, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/17/96
to Jean A. Coombs

Jean A. Coombs wrote:

> Any suggestions for music for bass dulcimers?
>
> Thanks.

Jean,

I have been playing a variety of tunes out of Janita Baker's "Solace"
book on my Bass Dulcimer. These are fingerpicked.

Heidi Meuller from Minnesota played a dynamite version of "Cherokee
Shuffle" on the Bass Dulcimer at the Great Plains Music Festival in
1995. In Fact, it was that performance that made me want one in the
first place.

"Yesterday" by John Lennon sounds good on the Bass Dulcimer as well.

"English Country Garden" from Janita Baker's "Fingerpicking Dulcimer"
also sounds pretty good on the Bass.

What have you found that you like on the Bass?

Dave

CuriousDWG

Jul 18, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/18/96

I sure would like to find more for the Bass Dulcimer. I have J Barker's
book, but there has to be more out there. What can we do?
CuriousDWG

Jean A. Coombs

Jul 19, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/19/96

I've never heard of the J Barker book. Can you provide more information
about this book?

Jean Coombs

David H. Deitrick

Jul 19, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/19/96
to Jean A. Coombs

Jean A. Coombs wrote:

> I've never heard of the J Barker book. Can you provide more information
> about this book?
>
> Jean Coombs

Jean,

Actually, it is Janita Baker. She is part of Blue Lion Musical
Instruments. She has 2 tab books out, "Fingerpicking Dulcimer"
Published by Kicking Mule (KM219) and "Solace." Both can be purchased
from Janita at:

Janita Baker
Blue Lion Musical Instruments
4665 Parkhill Rd.
Santa Margarita, CA 93453-9650
Phone:805-438-5569

"Fingerpicking" has just tab, "Solace" has music and Tab.

Actually, I have liked most of the "classical" type music I have found,
including a bit if Christmas music. Tull Glazener's "Dulcified" is one
source for some of this as is "Christmas with the Dulcimer" by Larry
Conger.

I have even heard "Cherokee Shuffle," a fiddle tune, sound good on the
Bass.

It boils down, I think, to just trying things until you find what you
like to listen to on the instrument. Since I like the tone and range
of the instrument, perhaps too much sounds at least OK to me.

Standard Disclaimer:
I have no financial interest in any of the products or companies
mentioned, bla bla bla. I just like these products.

Dave

Russell Kay

Jul 22, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/22/96

Personally, I like Sally Rogers' term for the bass dulcimer: the fretted
lap cello.

Russell Kay, BYTE Magazine
Peterborough, NH 603-924-2591

ellenj...@gmail.com

Oct 3, 2014, 11:35:15 PM10/3/14
On Monday, July 22, 1996 12:00:00 AM UTC-7, Russell Kay wrote:
> Personally, I like Sally Rogers' term for the bass dulcimer: the fretted
> lap cello.

Fretted Lap Cello--I LOVE that!! I just bought one . . . so-o-o-o nice.