Hello

Stinkweed

Aug 27, 2009, 3:42:19 PM8/27/09
I see that all the posts are pretty old but then I haven't gone though all
of them yet. I bought a Mountain Dulcimer some time ago and am just now
getting around to trying to learn how to play it. I have looked all over
the net for information as I don't know how to play it. Although I have
learned a couple songs, so I guess that is progress.
I just ordered a couple learn how books yesterday as I haven't been able to
locate a teacher for the dulcimer yet. One book is for beginners and the
other beginner to intermediate on finger picking the dulcimer which I hope
to learn. I'm just wondering if there is anyone here to talk to about the
dulcimer to hopefully learn a few things about it.

--
"I believe that friends are quiet angels who lift us to our feet when
our wings have trouble remembering how to fly"

1 Lucky Texan

Aug 28, 2009, 8:11:05 AM8/28/09

Although I only play a coupla songs, I have built a dulcimer and my
wife plays and has found a teacher. There are multiple styles of play
as you know. If you post the region of the country you live, someone
may know of a group or instructoer near you. Also, check Youtube for
some videos that might be helpful. There are dulcimer 'clubs' in many
major cities as well.

This newsgroup is very inactive but there may be others that monitor
it as I do.

good luck

Carl

1 Lucky Texan

Aug 28, 2009, 9:46:49 AM8/28/09
On Aug 27, 2:42 pm, "Stinkweed" <Stinkw...@cricket.net> wrote:

Also, you might want to investigate the following links;

http://www.dpnews.com/

http://www.everythingdulcimer.com/

1 Lucky Texan

Aug 28, 2009, 10:40:45 AM8/28/09

Also, this might be worth investigating;

http://groups.google.com/group/dulcimer-list?hl=en&lnk=

Stinkweed

Aug 28, 2009, 11:22:53 AM8/28/09
Thank you so much Carl, I was beginning to think no one was here. I am a
beginner and don't know much at all about it. I bought a tuner yesterday
and got it tuned and have learned to play a couple songs. Boil the Cabbage
Down and Go Tell Aunt Rhody. I have one learn how book and have ordered 2
more. I did find the you tube that has the Dulcimer players on it and have
been watching them. I found the way I want to learn and that is finger
picking it. That is one of the books that I ordered. I'm some familiar
with finger picking as I used to play the banjo several years ago.
I also found on the net a place to get some free music sheet down loads.
http://www.everythingdulcimer.com/tab/
In case you haven't been there, I'm using the tablature and not the notes
and at this point that is all I can tell you except that I am having a heck
of a lot of fun and contrary to the name I am a female.
If you can educate me in anyway I will sure listen. I live in Wisconsin the
the area of Oshkosh. So far I haven't found any teachers listed anywhere
near me.
Well, maybe we can get the group going again. I deleted everything old as
most of it was spam and was just hoping someone was still around. How is
your wife doing on the dulcimer? and how long have the two of you played?

"1 Lucky Texan" <alck...@swbell.net> wrote in message

Stinkweed

Aug 28, 2009, 11:23:57 AM8/28/09

http://www.dpnews.com/

http://www.everythingdulcimer.com/

Setting here laughing, I just sent one of these in my post. Thanks I will
check on the other one too.

Stinkweed

Aug 28, 2009, 11:25:32 AM8/28/09

http://groups.google.com/group/dulcimer-list?hl=en&lnk=

Than you so much, I will be busy today looking at this stuff. I have
printed out a bunch of songs from Everything Dulcimer and today am going to
organize them in a note book under the plastic sleeves so they will stay
decent.

1 Lucky Texan

Aug 29, 2009, 10:16:27 PM8/29/09
On Aug 28, 10:25 am, "Stinkweed" <Stinkw...@cricket.net> wrote:
> "1 Lucky Texan" <alcky...@swbell.net> wrote in messagenews:37f80e39-e670-48b1...@s13g2000yql.googlegroups.com...

My wife is the student, I don't play anymore. She has done a similar
thing with her song-sheets. Made a book with the songs alphabetical
but she used different colred tabs on the sleeves for the different
'tunings'.

maybe contact the following about an instructor; (from;
http://www.everythingdulcimer.com/index.php?option=com_clubs&clubsTask=clubsDetails&clubsId=358&Itemid=
)

******

Southern Wisconsin Dulcimer Club
Meeting Address:
660 Nyggard St.
Stoughton, WI 53589

Contact Person: Nancy Garrett Email This e-mail address is being
protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it

Phone: 608 752-6514

Instruments Played: Mountain and Hammer Dulcimer plus any other string
instrument.

Meeting Schedule:

Festivals and Events: Our September 20 workshop is Katie Waldren and
David Foss.
To be held at:
The Gathering Place, 715 Campus St., Milton, WI.
Check out the events page for info.

Meeting Directions: From Madison, go South on 14 to Oregon/Stoughton;
take 138 East; turn left on US-51 N; turn right on Jackson Street;
turn left on Nygaard Street; stay left on Nygaard Street.

From Janesville, take I-39 N/190 West toward Madison; merge onto
US-51N (exit 156) to Stoughton, turn right at Kings Lynn Rd.; turn
left at Jackson Street; turn right at Nygaard Street; stay on the left
fork for Nygaard Street

******

Stinkweed

Aug 30, 2009, 9:51:57 AM8/30/09

"1 Lucky Texan" <alck...@swbell.net> wrote in message

******

Phone: 608 752-6514

Meeting Schedule:

******

Thank you, I will have to see how far this is from me.