Josef Lorenz violins?

Zjaaq

Sep 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/27/98

Does anyone know anything about Josef Lorenz violins, which according to the
label are made in Luby (Schonbach) Czechoslovakia? I received it as a gift
about ten years ago, and would like to know a) approximate value and b) is this
a good violin, or would I be better off getting a different instrument?

Thanks.

Pete...@worldnet.att.net

Sep 28, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/28/98
to Zjaaq

If you can't tell if it is a good violin, why would you want a different
instrument?

If you plan to start playing, give it a try, give it a chance to break
in and make a decision after a year. Not all violins sound good until
they have been played. Nobody can tell you if it is worth keeping
without hearing or playing the instrument.

Suppose Lorenz is regarded as mediocre, you could still have a good
instrument. If his work is regarded as great that doesn't mean you have
a good example of his output.

Play it and between you and a teacher, decide if you like.

Pete

Zjaaq

Sep 28, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/28/98

Sorry, guess I was a little unclear. I have had and have used this violin for
ten years. It is the only one I have ever had, and I am a self-taught fiddler,
not a violinist with a teacher.
I have tried (and so far have failed) to find information to satisfy my own
curiosity; I would never part with the instrument, even if a world-reknowned
violinist told me that a Lorenz violin is not worth anything but kindling for a
fireplace! I would just like to know if anyone has heard anything about these
violins. It could be worth $50, but it is priceless to me.

MNTWILLER

Sep 28, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/28/98

FYI,
The "Lorenz" Violin (also Violas in various sizes) are factory instruments
that were made in the Czech Republic. I see a lot of them as school
instruments in my area. I suspect you could use the price of a "Strunal"
instrument as a good price guage...somewhere from $250.00 to 450.00 would be my
guess without seeing the instrument.

"Violator" Mike

vivacegirlt...@gmail.com

Nov 30, 2018, 12:04:50 PM11/30/18
I’ve had one for a couple of years now. Just started using it in 2017 after I got it fixed. It was in terrible shape when I got it. I was looking for info on it as well.

Have you ever had trouble with the pegs of your violin?

The pegs of mine won’t come out! 🤷🏽‍♀️ I’m not exactly sure what to do now because I have a D strong peg that won’t stay put and since I can’t take it out I’m without a D string. 😢

Side note: When I got mine, it was missing fine tuners, strings, and the neck was broken. Along with a crack being in the F holes. But I got it all fixed.