A Roll Call: What Are You Playing?

Skip Elliott Bowman

Nov 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/8/98
I'll start...

Acoustic:

• 1920 King (3/4 size)
• 1850 Tyrolean (13/16 size) w/C attachment (modified for
pedalling low Eb, D, Db as well as low C)
Bow:
• Otto Pfetchner, 1915

Strings: Tomastick Red Silk, Orchestra gauge

Electric:

• Custom 6 string (Warmouth parts) w/2 Bartolini p/u
• Fender P-bass Lyte w/Seymour Duncan Quarter Pounder PJ p/u
• SD Curlee w/Dimarzio Model 1 (w/brass cover plate) p/u,
modified to fretless

Strings: DR Hi Beams (.045--.105)

Amps:

• GK 200MB
• Ampeg 215b
• Roland Cube 60
• Nemesis 410

Outboard:

• DMD graphic EQ

Sound off, cats! Name the tools of your trade (bass gear only,
please--no keyboards, drum machines, etc...)

Skip "El Fumador"
to reply, replace "spamisbad" with "skipster"

Charles Roberts

Nov 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/8/98
80's Squier Jazz (Japan) with SD humbuckers, nice and quiet even with
one pickup turned off. BadAssII bridge.

Ibanez SR500, very light weight, narrow strings/neck. Great feel,
could have a better tone.

Ampeg SV-Pro preamp/350W solid state amp/1510 3-way cab.

Alexander Sargent Woods

Nov 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/8/98
Peavey Axcelerator 5
Epiphone Thunderbird IV

Hartke 3500 thru 4.5xl

Digitech BP8

By the way, can you guys give me some info/reviews on hartke stuff and
this digitech processer?

Ric

Nov 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/8/98
I'll play also
@1996 Samick Contemporary 5-String
DR strings B-G
Crate BX-200
custom (read homemade) 4x10 with 2 poly speakers and 2 aluminum cone
speakers, really sounds great
Can't forget the original poor man's amp
Realistic PA-20 Mounted on a Realistic 3-way monitor with a 10''
paper cone and the high speakers taken out to provide ports for the 10''.
This setup has an awesome distortion sound and a pretty warm "clean" sound
if you don't overdrive it too long. All given to me by a church's choir
director to get that stuff out of his way.
Currently remodeling a Yahama RBX 550, 4-string. It need a new
neck, pickups,.... well the body is in good shape now. I played it for 2
years before buying the Samick and starting the "remodel" job.

Bob & Teveka Melanson

Nov 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/8/98
'78 Fender Jazz neck on a '76 P-Bass Body w/EMG pickups.
sometimes I'll throw on my warmoth fretless neck with some flatwounds.

EDEN WT-300

BAG END Q10X-D
4x10" speakers with coaxial horn in center of speaker

Hopefully by Christmas I'll find a HAMER 12 string "Acoustic" Bass to add to
this list....

j. Whitely Holmes

Nov 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/8/98
Carvin LB 76 or Laguna P bass with SD pickup.
Rotosounds or GHS Progressives

DOD envelope filter, american metal, octoplus, bass eq, gate loop, boss
bass synth, digitech rds 4000, ernie ball volume

Hartke 7000 Head (one broken power amp) into 410xl and carvin 115 cabs

Ian Hunter

Nov 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/8/98
Ibanez SR1306 6 string (fretless)
Ibanez SR406 6 string fretted
Regular EBow
Harmonic EBow
SWR Grand Prix preamp
Ashly compressor limiter
Alesis Quadraverb
Korg DT1 Tuner
Roland stereo volume pedal
Crown Powertech 2 Amp
Monster cable
Peavey XLT 4x10 cabinet (a good SWR copy)

needed: Yamaha SPX 90
needed: Lexicon JamMan (with the delay time upgrade!)
needed: DBX 160 compressor
needed: A bigger brain!

--
Ian

http://www.compusmart.ab.ca/paragon
That which doesn't kill the first time will come around for a second
attempt.....please reload.

PhishyBass

Nov 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/8/98
Double:
Vienna Strings Hamburg Bass

Electric:
Carvin LB-76 6 stringer
Samick 4 string fretless
Ric 400

Eeyore

Nov 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/8/98
1983 Fender Precision bass (U.S. made, no bells or whistles)
Ken Smith or GHS boomers strings
DOD FX-80b compression
Trace Elliot RAH130 amp
Peavey 1820 cab
Samson Rackmount Concert series diversity wireless

I hope to get an Ibanez 5 string soon, and would like to get a digitech
BP6(has anyone out there tried or bought one of these, I haven't seen any
reviews on it yet)

Evan

Karl Hoyt

Nov 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/8/98
Electric Bass
1. Night Train Bass .. built by me.. Ash with dimarzios
2. Curly Maple/Walnut bass, also built by me, Lane Poor J's with 2
band EQ

Electric Upright; 41" SCALe... built by me.... K&K pickups and 2 band EQ

Next project... 5 string fretless acoustic bass guitar..

amp: G-K through a JBL 15. Yorkville 100w practice amp

Guy Incognito

Nov 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/8/98
Mike Lull Vintage Jazz Series 4 string w/Lindy Fralin pickups
Acacia Custom Series 5 string (on order-my dream bass-can't wait)
Modulus Quantum 5 (just sold it to help pay for my Acacia)
Fender 57' reissue P bass
Fender 62' reissue P bass
Alembic F1-X pre amp
Electro Harmonix Q-Tron... feel that funk
Crest V-900 power amp
(2) Bag End S15-XD bass cabinets
D'Addario XL strings
Yuengling Beer; Lager and Black & Tan

Todd Elwardt

Nov 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/8/98
Just recently back into this gear-happy regime.

PLAYING:

1994 Tobias (Gibson) Killer-B 6-string

ON THE WAY:

1998 Alembic Rogue 4 string

On THE BACKBURNER:

1976 Fender Jazz w/a Chandler fretless neck
(a former band-mate on Long Island still has my original neck)

THROUGH:

Eden Traveller Plus WT400
Bag End DQ10XD (2x10" w/coaxial tweeter)

HAD <sniff, sniff>:

1978 Rickenbacker 4001 (never did like the tone)
1984 Alembic Exploiter (just didn't like the body style)
1998 USA P-Bass Deluxe (distortion with the mid-eq all the way up)
1998 Warwick Thumb 5 Bolt-On (too damned neck-heavy, great tone though)

Bobaloo Wyoming

Nov 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/8/98

-Old(85?) Steinberger L-2
-Martin B1E accoustic/electric

-SWR 400
-Eden D210XLT
-JBL 4625("15)

Anthony Gregory

Nov 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/8/98
I'll throw my gear into the ring as well here....

Basses:
1987 Rickenbacker 4003 - Blond
1996 Ernie Ball Music Man Stingray - Natural Finish with a Hip Shot
Extender Key, and Jim Dunlop clip lock straps
both 4 strings
(and if I lived in a perfect world I'd own a Warwick Thumb Bass 5)

Amp/Cab:
Hartke 7000
Hartke 4x10 XL

Oddz and Endz:
Nady 3-D Wireless
Boss Chorus Pedal
DOD Overdrive Pedal (C'mon, I own a Rick and I listened to Motorhead
when I first started playing 10 years ago, I didn't know anybetter...)
GHS Boomers for the Rick
DR Highbeams for the ErnieBall (though maybe going back to GHS
Pressurewounds, or some sort of HalfWound, GroundWound strings soon..I'm
open to string recommendations for a mellower funkier sort of sound)
SKB Road Cases for everything...

Anthony
"There are no stupid questions, just stupid people"
-Mr Garrison
South Park

Skip Elliott Bowman wrote:

> I'll start...
>
> Acoustic:
>
> • 1920 King (3/4 size)
> • 1850 Tyrolean (13/16 size) w/C attachment (modified for
> pedalling low Eb, D, Db as well as low C)
> Bow:
> • Otto Pfetchner, 1915
>
> Strings: Tomastick Red Silk, Orchestra gauge
>
> Electric:
>
> • Custom 6 string (Warmouth parts) w/2 Bartolini p/u
> • Fender P-bass Lyte w/Seymour Duncan Quarter Pounder PJ p/u
> • SD Curlee w/Dimarzio Model 1 (w/brass cover plate) p/u,
> modified to fretless
>
> Strings: DR Hi Beams (.045--.105)
>
> Amps:
>
> • GK 200MB
> • Ampeg 215b
> • Roland Cube 60
> • Nemesis 410
>
> Outboard:
>
> • DMD graphic EQ

Carroll D. Kraston

Nov 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/9/98

Kramer Striker, into...uh....damn, some sort of chorus pedal. a BOSS
overdrive, Fender Bidekick 65(I think..) and for stage, I have it
miced through our singer's sound system, he does the sound for the
band before the signal goes through the house PA...

John Murren

Nov 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/9/98

1997 Ernie Ball Stingray

1994 American Deluxe 5 string Fender Jazz Bass.

Ampeg b2r head

Peavey 4X10

Crate 1X18

Bababooey, Ya'll

Harper Murren, Seven Inches For Life

If the shit fits, wear it. - Donald "Duck" Dunn

"Winners-they come and go, Legends-they're forever." - David Lee Roth

Harper's page of 1994 http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Arena/4742/index.html

Blue Dog Homepage http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Arena/4742/bluedog.html

Chuck Miller

Nov 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/9/98
My setup's pretty basic:

Spector NS-2A 4-string

Ampeg 350SVT drives
Acoustic 4x10
Sunn Beta drives
Acoustic 1x15

If I'm just goin' jammin' I only take the Ampeg & the 4x10

Ibanez compressor pedal
Boss Bass Chorus

I use GHS strings - (mediums)

lpjiang

Nov 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/9/98
The things I play:
1990 Ibanez SR-05 5-string, with EMG 40-P/J, BTS system
1996 Washburn XB-500 5-string (fretless)
SansAmp Classic
Boss Octave
Korg AX-30B
For some reaons I can't own any amp sounds bigger than a home
stereo...*sigh*

nobody

Nov 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/9/98

9? Warwick Thumb 5 NTB

Very modified RAT distortion
Selfmade UREI LA-5 clone compressor (slightly modified)
Modified Morley Power WAH
A selection of pseudouseful selfmade gadgets.

Fender BXR 300 (slightly modified)

Fender 1*15" + whoknows 4*12"

Usually D'Addario XLs or EB Slinkys.

btw. Any good ideas for pickup replacements that would give me a beefier
tone?

--
------------------------------
aapi

Lane Baldwin

Nov 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/9/98
Electric Bass:

Spector NS-6P Custom

EMG pickups
Piezo Bridge p/u system
AAAA Flame Maple
Translucent Black finish
Black hardware
Fiber Optic fret marker system (great for half blind folks like me)

Amplifiers:

Eden WT800 and D-410XLT cabinets
Eden WT400 and D-210MBW cabinet

DR Hi-beams (.030-.130)
Monster bass cords

Hope this helps!!

Keep Thumpin',

Lane Baldwin

Now accepting students in Richmond, VA
http://www.bluethunder.org/bass.html

Andrew Morgan

Nov 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/9/98
What with all this hi-tech gear flying around, I thought Id bring you
cats back to the ground with my el primitivo set-up:

Squier (Japan) P-Bass (must be something like 87/88)
Re-built and re-finished Road-bass clone (Got it for 100DM - around $60
because someone had already "refinished" it in purple metallic hammerite
paint)
EKO Accoustic-electric (no idea of the model, normal 6-string accoustic
sized body, grey sunburst, active electronics)

Peavey Mark IV Head

Peavey cab with 2x8 1x15 all Black Widows
Peavey 1x15 Black Widow PA Subwoofer

Pro-co rat
Boss Bass overdrive
Assorted no-name flangers and choruses

Whatever cords happen to be nearest when I set up ;-)

Andy

Todd Keating

Nov 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/9/98
I think I win the "most basic setup" award.

I used to own:

Rickenbacher 4001 (fantastic)
Fender Precision (fantastic)

Peavey Basic 40 amp (terrible)

I currently own:

Ibanez TR-50 (not so great; but a good beginners bass)
Carvin B-4 (the best bass I have owned yet; it rules)

I have been borrowing a Fender Bassman 50 with a homemade 1x12 cab, but
that guy and his amp just moved to Houston. I guess I'm buying an amp
soon.

The funny thing about this setup is that I actually play either one or two
gospel gigs every week, and I've played for fifteen years total.

Call me a minimalist.

-Todd Keating

Bob Gollihur

Nov 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/9/98
-Hoyt custom 5 string fretless, pau ferro fb, lane poors & bart preamp
(Thomastik Jazz Flats)
-Applause acoustic bass guitar, short scale rosewood fretless, fattened with
a SansAmp Bass DI (Thomastik Nylon core ABG strings)
-Fender p-bass, '79 maple necked fretless, sometimes with K&K Power Pack
external preamp (Thomastik Jazz Flats)
-Gibson Ripper, ebony fretless neck, modified with lane poors, blend
control, and bart 3-band preamp (Thomastik Jazz Flats)
-30's Juzek double bass, Corelli 370, K&K Double Big Twin, K&K Power Pack
Preamp
-30's Kay double bass, Corelli 370, K&K Bass Max, K&K Power Pack preamp

semi-active:
-Electric Upright Bass, 42" scale homebuilt, striped ebony fingerboard,
maple body and neck, pickup system in progress
-Guild Ashbory, that strange little silicone-stringed 19" scale monster,
updated pickup
-Epiphone 5 string fretless, rosewood fb, retired in favor of the Hoyt and
considering offering it for sale (DR Sunbeams or D'Add Chromes)

-Eden WT300C &
-BBE 362NR in a rack
-Carvin 2x10
Wanting a 15" or larger, though not because the Carvin doesn't deliver the
low goods, just due to the inbred, even primordial urge for bassists to want
larger speakers and more power. Desperately trying to resist the GAS attack,
'cause I don't need it and don't want to strain my back carrying it--
anybody know when the next bass support group meeting is?

--
Bob
eclectic bass - http://www.gollihur.com/bass.html

Donn Lewis

Nov 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/9/98
1981 Alembic Series 1 Long Scale
Alembic F-2B Preamp
BagEnd ELF-M Dual Integrator
QSC Powerlite 1.0 Amplifier
BagEnd D10EXD cabinet (one 10" ELF driver; one 10" Driver w/ tweeter)

CA Claber

Nov 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/9/98
Hohner Jack P/J Headless 4-string Bass
Trace Elliot Dual Compressor
A/B Switcher (to avoid the Zoom totally)
Zoom 506
Peavey Sessionbass Amplifier
Peavey 112Mb tiltback cabinet

Yours Sincerely,

C.Alexander Claber esq.

"Finger Funkin' it"

Don "Mango" Pancoe

Nov 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/9/98

Hell, since so many of y'all responded so far, I'm sure one more won't hurt.
I'm definitely in the "gear snob" category.

Basses:
* Modulus Quantum 5 SweetSpot w/ spalted maple top (this thing roars)
* Fender Jazz Bass Plus V (Fender's first "modern" 5, I think)
* Hohner B2V (for practicing in hotel rooms when travelling for work)
* Ovation 4-string accoustic bass guitar

"Big" Amp:
* SansAmp PSA-1 (good tone, presets and balls-out distortion when needed)
* Boss SE-70 (cool effects, but weak auto-wah, and gaps when switching
patches)
* SWR Stereo 800 power amp (lots o' power, well-suited for bass)
* Two Acme B2 cabs (studio-monitor sound quality, but they do need power)
* ART X-15 Utrafoot
* Anatek Pocket Filter (the SansAmp doesn't like MIDI CC data for some
reason)

"Little" Amp:
* GK 150MB (100W, 12" combo, sounds great and compact as hell, but too small
for anything other than a personal monitor - very personal)

Future Acquisistions(?):
* Either a Nemesis 2x10 combo, or a Walter Woods head to drive just one of
the Acmes when I don't want to haul the "big rig."
* Possible upgrades to the Fender, or perhaps a new bass, so that my main
and backup axes are not so far apart in sound quality.

Misc.
* Gig bags for pretty much everything - I'm a bag nut
* A broken Samson VLP Wireless (works very well when not broken)
* Ibanez headphone amp/cassette player (see Hohner B2V above.)

-- Mango --

Ryan Roullard

Nov 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/9/98
MexiFender P, and a wierdass old Yamaha Amp that I was told wasn't
availiable in the states anymore.
-Ryan

Greg Eden

Nov 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/9/98
I'll play the poor man on this ng then:

Squier Precision bass (I think it's some sort of reissue but there was
nowt to say so in the shop)

Laney Richter 165W 1x15" combo.

My excuse is that I'm a student.

----------------------------
Love is a device invented by bank managers
to make us all overdrawn.
- Arnold Rimmer, Red Dwarf

Aaron Borgman

Nov 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/9/98
Skip Elliott Bowman (spam...@teleport.com) wrote:
: Sound off, cats! Name the tools of your trade (bass gear only,

: please--no keyboards, drum machines, etc...)

Acoustic:

Lewis & Sons "Bottesini" model fully carved, made in germany early 70's

Bow:

Hideous glasser fiberglass

Strings: Flexocors

Electric:

Fender MB-5 five string, refinished to rubbed oil finish

Amps:
SWR redhead

--
Aaron Borgman CRU Timing Tiger
abor...@ichips.intel.com

Brian Swisher

Nov 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/9/98
sure, why not.....

Pedulla Rapture 5 - my only bass at the moment. looking for another 5 as
a back-up, as soon as the budget allows. thinking about getting a Carvin
kit and building myself a 5 string fretless. any thoughts?

in the rack -
Hartke 5000 head
Furman
Samson wireless
Boss tuner - held on top of the rack by velcro tape

cabs -
Hartke 4 x 10
Hartke 1 x 15

effects -
Cry-Baby Wah
Boss Flanger
DOD Delay

practice amp -
Hartke 2 x 10 combo - they don't make these anymore, or so i hear.
got it a about 6 years ago.

strings -
DR's

Transportation -
97 VW Golf

- brian

Derek Leach

Nov 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/9/98
In article <Pine.SOL.3.96.981108...@uhura.cc.rochester.edu>,
Alexander Sargent Woods <aw0...@uhura.cc.rochester.edu> wrote:
>Peavey Axcelerator 5
>Epiphone Thunderbird IV
>
>Hartke 3500 thru 4.5xl
>
>Digitech BP8
>

>By the way, can you guys give me some info/reviews on hartke stuff and
>this digitech processer?

Yamaha 760A w/Hipshot de-tuner, and Hipshot Style "A" bridge
Yamaha 250F fretless
Hohner B-Bass 5-string

I uses Ernie Ball strings for fretted, and D'Addario Chromes
for fretless.

Furman PL-8 Power Conditioner
Ampeg B1-R
Peavey Sessionbass

Fender BXR 4x10+horn
Ampeg Classic 2x10+horn
Peavey 115BX w/Black widow

The Fender and Ampeg are connected to the B1-R,
and the 115BX to the Sessionbass.

Assorted pedals ... keep rockin'!

DL

Dan Berkowitz

Nov 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/9/98
To join in:

1974 Fender Jazz (sunburst with black block markers/binding) with Bartolinis
Fender fretless A/E Precision Bass (Labella tapewounds)
Univox shortscale hollowbody with flatwounds
Self-created Fender Telebass approximation
Short-scale Explorer copy (rarely touch it)
American Standard URB

Carvin PB500 amp
Carvin PB150 amp
Carvin RL210 cabinet
Carvin RL115 cabinet

No effects, please, it's the blues.

-Dan Berkowitz
Iowa City, Iowa

j. Whitely Holmes

Nov 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/9/98
to Ryan Roullard

IS it one of those freaky hundred watters? My high school had the 410
version which had built in distortion tremolo and reverb. The thing had
about one working speaker because it was open back and people would carry
stuff in it and punch holes in the cones. When it was all working it was
the loudest hundred watt amp I have ever heard. Plus if you turned the
fuzz, trem and distortion all the way up it mad great sounds when you
kicked it. Very sonic youth...

Danny Ramsey, REBOL Writer

Nov 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/9/98
Squier II P-Bass with SD Quarterpound pickups, Badass II bridge,
Thomastik Jazz Flatwound with a Pax 6630 15" amp. Sound: 50s-60s blues,
r&b, r&r.
--
Danny Ramsey, REBOL Writer (da...@rebol.com)
REBOL Technologies -- Join Our Rebellion!

Kyle Grundmann

Nov 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/9/98
One more,

Basses
--------------
1993 Ibanez TR-100, first bass, great for beginners, wide variety of sounds
1997 Warwick Thumb 5 Bolt-on - Sounds great, but heavy

DR Hi-Beam Lights on both

Amps
--------------
Peavey Basic 60 - anybody one want one
Peavey T-Max head - great amp, usually use with just SWR cab
SWR Goliath III jr.
Peavey 1X15 with Black Widow - when I need to be loud

Morley PBWA wah
Boss Tuner of some sort.

Kyle Grundmann

Frameband

Nov 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/9/98
Schector Jazz body Stew-Mac Ebony Fretless Jazz neck, converted to 5 String,
Bartolini's, Bad Ass II, Schaller M4's

SWR Goliath II 4x10
SWR Big Ben 18
Ashley Preamp, 3 band graphic
"Old" Peavey CS 200
see i said old!

Big Dawgie

Nov 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/9/98
This thread could take over the NG!

Basses: Fender Jazz - Geddy Lee Signature bass (1998)
Fender Precision Bass Lite deluxe (1998)
Steinberger L-2 (1984)

Amp: G-K 800RB
2 x Yorkville 210 /w hi freq driver.

(*sigh* -my list isn't as long as everyone else!)

DonHoolio

Nov 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/9/98
Here come's the monster list of them all:

1985 or 86 Fender P-Bass (japanese)

Nemesis 410P - 200 watt 4x10 combo amp]

Thats it! :)

Brent

Coop

Nov 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/9/98
I've never been a big fan of Ernie Ball, but it just worked out that way!

Electric:
1978 MusicMan Stingray, 4St, Sunburst, D'Addario Roundwounds
1998 MusicMan Sterling Fretless, 4St, Translucent Red, D'Addario
Halfrounds or GHS Briteflats

Acoustic:
1985 Ernie Ball Earthwood, 4St, EB Earthwood Phosphor Bronze ABG
Roundwounds

Amplification:
Hartke 5000
Genz-Benz 210XB
Peavey 115BW
SWR Workingman's 12 (practice amp)

Effects:
Boss Digital Delay
Boss Bass Chorus
Boss Flanger
Boss Bass Graphic EQ
Ernie Ball Volume Pedal
Mu-Tron Micro V Envelope Follower
(Homemade) Bass Distortion
(Homemade) Bass Ring Modulator

John Bozony

Nov 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/9/98
Basses: Fender P-Bass Lyte Deluxe-Red Tiger stripe with gold
hardware (1994)
Fender Am. Std. Jazz Bass (1995)

Amp: Ampeg SVT-Classic

Cabs: Ampeg 8x10 Classic
Ampeg 410 HLF

keh...@delete.earthlink.net

Nov 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/9/98

>Sound off, cats! Name the tools of your trade (bass gear only,
>please--no keyboards, drum machines, etc...)

(All Lefties)
1998 Alembic Orion with Europa electronics
1974 All original Fender Jazz
1971 All original Gibson eb3

Crate 160 Combo for my little studio

My old peavey head just died

2 JBL D-140's

John Musselwhite

Nov 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/9/98
I've enjoyed following this thread. It's interesting to see what
others are playing these days as I've been out of the loop for almost
20 years.

I'm playing in a blues/rock quartet called "Bud" in Calgary Alberta,
mostly in smaller pubs and taverns. We're setting up a "gear page" on
our web site (http://members.tripod.com/~MicBud) in the near future,
but here's what my rig consists of at the moment. I play guitar in the
band as well, but will leave most of that stuff for the page.

My basses are:
1991 Custom made sunburst P-bass with Rotosound Rounds
199? Cort headless bass in black with a P-J pickup set of some kind.
1998 Cort SJ-B short-scale acoustic/electric (Fishman) bass guitar.
1977 Ibanez Flying V bass. This is the bass I was playing exactly 18
years ago this month when I did my last live gig until this summer
(but that's another story).

Our slide guitar player keeps another headless bass on his side of the
stage that plugs into a DI and then into my rig as well. He also owns
the Flying V as he collects them, but it's on permanent loan to me
(meaning I'm the guy who gets to carry it around and store it as well
as use it). There's generally not enough room on the stage for the V,
as it's a monstrous axe. It and the P-bass are often left in our
rehearsal space.

The SJ-B currently has D'Addario XL strings on it, but they went dead
pretty fast. I've never put strings on the headless bass or the V, so
have no idea what they are.

The basses all plug in to a Tapco 6000 mixer which feeds a Roland
SIP-301 Bass Guitar Pre-Amp. The Roland has an electronic crossover
(and DI) built in. The low end is fed into an old 1960-something Ampeg
SVT with a bad pre-amp section and the output goes to two cabinets
with single 15" Black Widows in them. The top end feeds the power
section (with a volume control) of a Sunn Concert Bass head with a
single 15" guitar cabinet. The Sunn is also my rehearsal amp. If the
stage and club are small I'll use just the SVT with the two bass cabs
and the headless bass. Everything is connected with Rodam cables.

I'm usually set up so the 15" guitar cab is on the bottom with the SVT
and Sunn sitting on it. A black-face Bassman in a combo cab for my
guitar is on top of that. The pre-amps sit on top of the Bassman with
the Tapco on top of them and black gaffers tape holds it all together
for a little extra stability. One of these days I'll buy/build a rack.
The two bass cabs are on each side of the drummer, but they sound
better stacked. It's not very elegant looking but so far I've spent
less than $800CDN ($500 US?) assembling a fairly good sounding
bi-amped system from used parts that pumps out something around 500
watts total with the ability to plug multiple basses into it.

The only effect I ever use is the compressor in the Roland pre-amp,
and it's used rather sparingly on stage. Also in the system is a Crate
CA-1PD acoustic guitar preamp that I occasionally use with the
acoustic bass. The Tapco is soon to be replaced by a small Mackie and
I'm looking for some rack-mountable power amps so I can stick
everything in one place and don't have to drag the SVT around, even
though it sounds wonderful.

When it's not in use on stage the bass and guitar preamps are
connected through a stereo Tapco mixer to a Fostex X-15 Multitracker
and some ancilliary equipment in my home, but that's for the WWW
page...

John

John Musselwhite, RPT Calgary, Alberta
mus...@cadvision.com Canada

Christopher Luxton

Nov 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/9/98
Bass:
'75 Fender Jazz Bass reissue (main bass)
back-up:Washburn Lyon Series bass (p-bass style)

Amplification:
Hartke 5000 head
transporter 410
transporter 115

Pedals:
Zoom 506
Boss Flanger
Soundtank(Ibanez) Bass Chorus
Morley Wah (for Guitar)
Korg Tuner

--
---
----

Eric Moesle

Nov 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/9/98
Modulus Quantum 6 string w/ Bartolini's
- never heard a better low B, ever . . .

Gallien Krueger 2000 RB head (run bi-amp)
dbx 160x Compressor limiter
Korg DTR2 rack mount tuner
Furman PL-Plus power conditioner/light module

Hartke 4.5 XL for mids & highs
Hartke 215XL for sub

Gallien Krueger 200MB for practice

Moe Howard

Nov 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/9/98
1996 Warwick Thumb Bolt-on. I have a set of Bartolini 9E's that
will replace the crappy MEC pickups as soon as I get 'round to it.

1986 Fender American Jazz. I bought it used from a guy really
cheap because I thought I could turn around and sell it to make
some quick cash. Now that I've played it for a couple of months,
I really like it and don't want to give it up. I put in a Badass
II Bridge and now it really cranks.

SWR 400S head with Acme B2 cabinet.

Zekmoe

Nov 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/9/98
Rick Chris Squire Model
Fender Jazz Bass Deluxe
Musicvox Spaceranger(in the mail still)
Ampeg B100 bass combo
SWR Interstellar Overdrive
Ampeg SVP preamp

All home studio work. Lots of fun. Lots of other toys to mix and match.
Bob Maggio

Michael Riehle

Nov 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/9/98
Basses:
Warwick Corvette 5-string
Godin A4 Acoustic-Electric
(I have others, but these are the ones I gig with)

Amplification:
GK400RB

Cabinets:
SWR Goliath Sr. (8x10)
SWR Goliath Jr. (2x10)

Accessories:
DBX 166 A
Sabine Rackmount tuner
Digitech BP8 (recent addition, still not sure about it).

Michael Riehle Send mail to mcr at the mriehle.com
San Jose, CA domain.
http://www.mriehle.com/live.dressed.girls
#include <std.disclaimer>
Americans for Non-smokers Rights http://www.no-smoke.org
Smokescreen Action Network http://www.smokescreen.org
Bay Area Secondhand Smoke Hotline (408)999-0500

Ryan Roullard

Nov 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/9/98
to j. Whitely Holmes

No, but from your description, I wish it was. I'm not positive as
to the output wattage, but I think it is in the neighborhood of 100 watts.
No distortion, tremelo, or reverb to speak of unfortunatly. It's got a
wierd (to me) EQ set up, with a three band Bass, mid and treble eq,
followed by another 5 band eq. The first three knobs have more impact on
the sound, the other five are like fine tuning.
-Ryan

Pat Lyman

Nov 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/9/98
ply...@as.net wrote:

> Sadowsky 5 string: single coil pickups, quilted top, caramel sunburst;
> usually DR Hi-Beams, sometimes Sadowsky strings.
>
> Alembic F1-X preamp
> Crest V1100 power amp
> Eden D410XLT and D115XLT cabinets
>
> Homemade cables; disappointing Monster cables sitting in closet along with
> Ampeg SVP and BBE preamps.
>
> --
> Pat Lyman

Oh yeah, forgot my SWR Baby Blue for practice and small gigs. Sans Amp
bass driver for jam sessions (warms up most Peavey heads).

There's a Furman PM-8 (no lights, but an ammeter LED array) in the top
of the rack.

I've just started using an old MXR limiter (I may get an RNC) again.
Not too bad, actually.

Boss TU-121. GREAT for 5 strings, backlit, too.

Visual volume pedal.

I keep an E-bow in the case for semi annual deviations from sanity.

Hmmm... lots of "bought and bored with" boxes in the closet... Boss Bass
Chorus, Bass Flanger, Bass Limiter/Enhancer, Bass Parametric eq, DOD
Bass chorus, one or two distortion boxes. Carvin 5 string.

S & C

Nov 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/9/98
Gibson T-Bird
Carvin Custom LB-75
Washburn AB-20

ART Nightbass SE....it's actually VERY quiet!
ART X15 Midi Controller
XWire Wireless.....very, very cool....900MHz Digital!
Carvin HT-1000 Power Amp
Hartke 4x10
Carvin 1x18....Actually liked the Peavy Black Widow 15 better

Doug

Nov 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/9/98
>Sound off, cats! Name the tools of your trade (bass gear only,
>please--no keyboards, drum machines, etc...)

Okay, great to see the variety of gear that everyone's using ...

basses:
main: '78 Rickenbacker 4001 with replaced bridge pickup (a lovely shade of
nicotine yellow)
backup: short-scale frankenstein (used to be a guitar until someone screwed
on a bass neck) bass that I found in the dumpster

amp/cabs:
Ampeg B2 (4x8 w/horn) combo
Ampeg SVTPRO 2x10 cab (optional)
Yamaha SW118 cab (optional - now with Carvin speaker)

FX (no, not all at once!):
DOD Performer 585 analog delay
MXR Phase90
MXR Distortion+
Kent 6401 tremelo
EBS Octabass
Jaxx surf/siren/etc pedal
TC Electronics SCF
Lovetone Meatball

strings:
D'Addario XL 45-105

picks:
Clayton .152

instrument cables:
mostly homemade from Belden 9422 cables and Deltron plugs

nothing fancy, but it does the job!

Doug

AJ Scott

Nov 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/9/98
In article <364571...@teleport.com> Skip Elliott Bowman <spam...@teleport.com> writes:
>From: Skip Elliott Bowman <spam...@teleport.com>
>Subject: A Roll Call: What Are You Playing?
>Date: Sun, 08 Nov 1998 18:25:17 GMT

>Sound off, cats! Name the tools of your trade (bass gear only,
>please--no keyboards, drum machines, etc...)

An Ibanez Roadstar II plugged into an Ampeg V4B head/Ampeg V6 cabinet combo I
bought new in 1979. The head weighs as much as my car.

Scott

Pat Lyman

Nov 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/9/98
to Patrick Smith
Patrick Smith wrote:

> On Mon, 09 Nov 1998 17:41:09 GMT, ply...@as.net wrote:
>
> >Sadowsky 5 string: single coil pickups, quilted top, caramel sunburst;
> >usually DR Hi-Beams, sometimes Sadowsky strings.
> >
> >Alembic F1-X preamp
> >Crest V1100 power amp
> >Eden D410XLT and D115XLT cabinets
> >

> >--
> >Pat Lyman

> My god - this is like my dream set-up - even the strings!. Sounds like
> you have the same taste - but a checkbook to feed the need. How's
> everything sound?

When I can use both cabs - it is a dream. Very ballsy, very rock and
roll, but clean at the same time. By simple alterations in touch, or
slight adjustments to the pickup blend control, I can go from slow
country waltz tones to AC/DC. "Margaritaville" and "Whole Lotta Love"
in the same night.

I play mostly in pickup bands, and music has paid for all my gear. I
didn't buy it all at the same time, that's for sure! Most bandleaders
prefer I use the D115XLT, if two cabs are not warranted. One threatens
to send me home if I ever show up with just the 410XLT by itself again!
The D115XLT is a real mo-fo cab, real earthquake type lows, but it has a
hole in its response that the 10's fill in nicely.

A couple of weekends ago I played a gig where the two guitarists were
using Fender Deluxes, and I carted in the whole stack. I only had the
Alembic up to 2, and it was a HUGE sound, but not loud. They were
apprehensive at first, but they loved it!

Chris Homco

Nov 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/9/98

This will probably make all of you pros laugh put I just started playing 1 month
ago. I play a karera p-bass 4 string it's a no namer but I'm really surpised at
how good it sounds. Dean Markley Blue Steels, all running into a Peavy BX-15
combo amp. Pretty humble setup but it works to learn

Chris

Jeff Clanton

Nov 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/9/98
Bass
1997 Warwick Corvette Standard (Active) 5-string

PreAmp - Amp - Speakers
Demeter VTBP-201 DBL
Crown PowerBase 2
Carvin RL410 & RL115 Cabs

Strings
DR High Beams 45-125
Warwick Black Label 45-130
D'Addario Slowound 45-135

-Jeff Clanton

Llarry Amrose

Nov 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/9/98
Masterpiece (custom, Htfd CT) 8-string -- Lane Poor pickups
Masterpiece Fretless 5 -- active Bartolinis
-- both S. American Cherry body and fingerboard
Steinberger Xt-25
Rick 4003s/5 5-string ('89 - horrible no-longer-white finish)
Rick 4001 ('79 - Seymour Duncan pickups, Badass II bridge, flatwounds)
Fender Jazz ('76 - active DiMarzios, Badass II, soon to go piccolo)
Guild Ashbory
2 Oncor BGS-7000 bass synths (wacky oversize Les-Paul shape)

All three 5-strings and the Jazz have ultralite roundwounds (makers vary)--
.030/.050/.070/.090 - .110 low B

Top 5 are all wired stereo.

Ampeg SVT (mid '70s) w/ 8x10 cabinet
2 Roland SIP-301 preamps for when I don't need the amp (or when the preamp
stage is acting flaky and I need to bypass it...)

--Llarry

David Hartley

Nov 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/10/98
Basses:
Wal Custom (1985)
Rickenbacker 4001v63 (1988)
Fender Precision (1973)
Ibanez Black Eagle (1975)
Epiphone Viola (1996)

Amplification:
Fender Dual 400 Head
Hartke 4 x 10 Quad
Hartke 1 x 15
Roland Super Cube (for small gigs)

Effects:
Zoom 506 bass effects
Vox Wah-wah
Crowther "Prunes & Custard" (made by Paul Crowther ex Split Enz)
Fabulous sounds!

Refreshments:
Early part of the night Kilkenny
Later on "What'll you have Dave?"
"Mmmmmm wwhattssh left?"
"Not sure"
"That'll do!"

Skip Elliott Bowman wrote:

> I'll start...
>
> Acoustic:
>
> • 1920 King (3/4 size)
> • 1850 Tyrolean (13/16 size) w/C attachment (modified for
> pedalling low Eb, D, Db as well as low C)
> Bow:
> • Otto Pfetchner, 1915
>
> Strings: Tomastick Red Silk, Orchestra gauge
>
> Electric:
>
> • Custom 6 string (Warmouth parts) w/2 Bartolini p/u
> • Fender P-bass Lyte w/Seymour Duncan Quarter Pounder PJ p/u
> • SD Curlee w/Dimarzio Model 1 (w/brass cover plate) p/u,
> modified to fretless
>
> Strings: DR Hi Beams (.045--.105)
>
> Amps:
>
> • GK 200MB
> • Ampeg 215b
> • Roland Cube 60
> • Nemesis 410
>
> Outboard:
>
> • DMD graphic EQ

> Sound off, cats! Name the tools of your trade (bass gear only,
> please--no keyboards, drum machines, etc...)
>

> Skip "El Fumador"
> to reply, replace "spamisbad" with "skipster"

Joonas Vilenius

Nov 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/10/98
Basses:
4-string Warwick Fortress MasterMan custom (ovankol body, EMG electr.(18V),
Kahler-trem)
5-string Ibanez

Amps:
Ampeg SVTIII Pro
Laney DP-150

Cabs:
(2) Ampeg SVT15E

Effects'n'stuff:
Trace Elliot SMX Dual Compressor pedal
Boss Bass Overdrive
Dod Stereo Flanger
DR Lo-Rider-strings
ProCo cables
Quiklok stands
Korg tuner
Warwick gigbags

-Jona

BASS1234

Nov 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/10/98
Modulus 4 string
79 Jazz
70 Gibson EB-2 w/ custom fretless neck

Hartke 7000
(2) Eden 2x10

Patrick Smith

Nov 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/10/98
On Mon, 09 Nov 1998 17:41:09 GMT, ply...@as.net wrote:

>Sadowsky 5 string: single coil pickups, quilted top, caramel sunburst;
>usually DR Hi-Beams, sometimes Sadowsky strings.
>
>Alembic F1-X preamp
>Crest V1100 power amp
>Eden D410XLT and D115XLT cabinets
>

>Homemade cables; disappointing Monster cables sitting in closet along with
>Ampeg SVP and BBE preamps.
>
>--
>Pat Lyman

Patrick Smith

Nov 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/10/98
On Tue, 10 Nov 1998 00:47:47 GMT, sa...@comtek.com (Patrick Smith)
wrote:

AND - better post my rig while I'm here - -

Bass - Custom Treker (SLC, Utah luthier) 5-string, headless, walnut
body, ebony fretboard, ABM hardware, EMG soapbars w/active trb/bass
boost&cut

Amp - Eden WT-400 navigator, Yamaha 2400 (?) back-breaking mother
300Wperchannel great sounding power amp, Peavey 410TX and 15" JBL sub
when needed.

Strings - Hi Beams Med Light (130 to 45) for studio, live I use Adamas
nickel med-lights (cheap but OK sound)

My main live gig is Latin (salsa merengue), casuals and various sub
for country to oldies. Not a lot of flash, but killer groove & reading
chops

Timmer

Nov 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/10/98
Basses:
Custom built 5 string fretted
Warmoth jazz bass body (swamp ash with quilt maple stained
black top)
Warmoth maple neck with pau ferro fingerboard
2 Lane Poor W-series pickups
black hardware

Custom built 5 string fretless
Warmoth jazz bass body (swamp ash with quilt maple stained
black top)
Warmoth maple neck with ebony fingerboard
2 Lane Poor N-series pickups
black hardware

Amplification:
I use the following in different combinations.
Peavey Kilobass head
500 X 2 watts stereo or biamp
Peavey T-Max
500 watts
Peavey 410TXF
Peavey 210TXF
Peavey 210TX
Peavey 115BXBW

Other:
Chandler power filter
Korg DT-1 rack mount tuner
D'Addario XL 5's
SKB rack

That's all i got,

Timmer

Bass World
http://www.teleport.com/~timmer
Oasis Musical Services
http://www.teleport.com/~timmer/oasis.html
The Lane Poor Music Company
http://www.lanepoor.com
Peavey
http://www.peavey.com

Michael Riehle

Nov 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/10/98
In article <goM12.6$jr5...@news13.ispnews.com> on Mon, 9 Nov 1998 19:11:29 -0600 S & C (sdc...@evansville.net) wrote:
: Gibson T-Bird

: Carvin Custom LB-75
: Washburn AB-20

: ART Nightbass SE....it's actually VERY quiet!
: ART X15 Midi Controller
: XWire Wireless.....very, very cool....900MHz Digital!

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Oh yeah, I forgot to list that. Very cool indeed.

: Carvin HT-1000 Power Amp

: Hartke 4x10
: Carvin 1x18....Actually liked the Peavy Black Widow 15 better

CHRlsMiche

Nov 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/10/98
Basses:

Fender P-Bass w/ SD hot pbass
Fender Jazz with EMG JV's
Music Man Cutlass II

Amp/Cabs:

Acoustic 370 head
Acoustic 301 folded horn 18" cab
Ampeg B-15 cab with EV speaker.

FX:

Proco Vintage Rat
Boss stereo chorus
Boss Super Phaser

Other:

Monster Cables
Proco Cables
Ken Smith strings.

Chris M.

Martin V.

Nov 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/10/98
My signal chain...

Modulus 5-string
Alembic F1X pre
dbx 160x compressor
Digitech Studio Quad V2 stereo effects, bypassed most of the time though :(
Carvin FET1000 stereo power amp
2 Acme B2's or sometimes an SWR Big Ben + Goliath Jr II bi-amped

- Martin V.
<to reply, remove "antispam" from my address>

Daniel McGillicuddy

Nov 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/10/98
Hehe damn I cant resist!

Warwick 5 string strung E-C (this was a recent decision, its taking some
getting used to)
Really crappy old fretless mogrel bass (not for public listening)
Ibanez RoadGear (?) 4 string

DR strings on all

800RB into Eden 4X10

Alesis drum machine
Mac software
QT 3.x
CyberSynth

But soon to receive a Pensa 4 string (in about 2 more months).

I am also looking for a good general bass multi effects module:
1) A little compression
2) A little corus/flange
3) a little delay
any suggestions ?

Daniel McGillicuddy
dan...@mcgillicuddy.org
http://www.mcgillicuddy.org

----------

Charles Aesque

Nov 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/10/98
Basses:
65 Fender Jazz
65 Fender Precision
68 Fender Telecaster w' EMGs
Newly purchased - 1998 Marcus Miller Fender Jazz - Main bass
"awesome"!

Amps:
SWR 400S
SWR Henry 8X8
Acoustic 360
Peavey 300 Combo

Effects:
Mutron Micro 5
Stereo Chorus

Charlie Aesque
East Tennessee

Andre JACQUEMOD

Nov 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/10/98
Bass:

Warwick 4 strings Streamer Stage 1 1990 neckthrough body with two MEC
pickups and active electronics. Rare honey colour

Ibanez ATK 305 TK 5 Strings 1995, heavy and hard to play (to my opinion)

Fretless: neck through body homemade from an old ARIA SB 1000. Body has
been cutted on each side of the neck and replaced by two zebrano parts.
Pickups are Bartolini J model, active Bartolini electronics.

Acoustic: Hohner HAB50 1996

Amp: TRACE ELIOTT AH 250SMX
Speaker cabinets: Home made cabinet with 15"Eminence for low
frequencies
Old Ampeg VT 40 in which amp was destroyed. 4 X 8".

Searching for a second hand SWR Goliath I or II.

No effects for the moment (using friends equipment when necessary)
All electrical instruments are equipped with Rotosound strings.

Unknown

Nov 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/10/98
Fretted:
Hey guess what? It's a'78 Jazz , maple board, MOP blocks, metallic
blue with silver metaflake
Converted to 4 bolt
Bone Nut
6100 wire
EMG J set
Glow in the dark knobs
(no, this shouldn't have been posted to the ugliest bass thread.)

Fretless
Heavily recut neckthrough body of questionable lineage
Dimarzio Pre and Duncan SJB 1 pickups
Schaller heads
Badass Bass II bridge

GK400RB
Alesis Midiverb 4
Rockman Midi Pedal
Trace Elliot 2103h
EV 150b

I'd use more, but i have to carry it all...

Alex

Nov 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/10/98

Hi ya fellow bassplayers !!! Hail... Hail...Hail... to 'ya all

Right.............

I have two main axes:

Musicman Stingray 5 vintage sunburst strung with DR .45 - 130 highbeams
Alembic Epic 5 fretless bubinga strung with factorystrings ( just recently
bought it )

And..... these basses rule !!!

I also own a Fender Squire JV 1982 series turned fretless. But... I'm going
to replace the neck for a fretted one since i want to pick up slapping.
Gonna make it my superduper extra heavy slapmonsterbass !!! Whraaaaah !!!!

My amp is a SWR SM400 ( bridged )
My cab is a Hartke XL410 < -- a pretty nice combination but I am going to
try a Eden XLT210 soon. Smooth !!!!

I don't use FX

I felt i had to share this with ya since it's always interesting to know
what other players use.

So... keep on playing and shake the heavens

Alex

Stephen M. Ryan

Nov 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/10/98
I can't hold out any longer and have to get in on this...late as usual <G>

Basses:

Heartfield (pre Fender model) DR5 5 string fretted

Steinberger Q-4 fretted with DB bridge

Hamer long scale 12 string with an explorer body

and my Franken-bass
a mid 80s Fender Jazz Special-defretted
bridge jazz p-up, middle P p-up, neck Tele bass
p-up---all passive to one output
Zeta bridge piezo p-up---active to another output

awaiting the arrival of an Alembic Essence 5 string just bought from a
friend in Florida

Amps:

early '70s Ampeg SVT---last retubed with Groove Tubes
SWR Workingman's 12---with a Workingman's 12 extention cab on order
and every now and then a '67 Fender Bassman head with a 2 x 12 cab

Got rid of the 8 x 10 Ampeg refrigerator...looking into a decent 2 x 10 cab
that will handle a low B...any suggestions? Thinking about an SWR, but have
looked at Eden and EA cabs as well.

Steve
-
note mucked up return address in hope of reducing spam
please remove the first 3 letters of the alphabet to reply

F. Michael Miller

Nov 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/10/98
Yamaha headless bass (XB1?)
61 Fender P-bass
Kramer fretless (dimarzios), aluminum neck
All basses strung with Alembic medium guage

Furman PQ3 preamp
BBE Sonic Maximizer
PV CS-800, bi-amped at 250 Hz
2 x (1 x 15), loaded with EV-15L
2 x Mitchell SF700 (bose 700 clones)

F. Michael Miller
Desperately looking for a swing gig......

Rob Hunter

Nov 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/10/98
- 1978 Rickenbacker 4001 (w/Schaller bridge)
- 1974 Rickenbacker 4001 (w/SD pickups & Schaller bridge)
- 1974 Gibson Ripper
- 1983 Fender Precision Elite
- 1998 Yamaha BBN5 5-string

- Yorkville 400B rack head and two 1x15 cabinets

Lookin' for a Fender Jazz!!
- Rob

Aidan

Nov 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/10/98
Korg Trinity Plus,
Yamaha DX27
Akai sampler
Korg AX30B digital FX processor
Yamaha WX5 Electronic wind instrument
Turkish Saz of unknown provenance
Darbuka hand drum
Goldwave digital wave editor
Meier & Herold Kontrabass
Warwick Thumb 6 through neck (with broken pre-amp at the moment)

Just saving for the Oud and the Congas

Aidan

Bob Harvey

Nov 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/10/98
Hello everyone,

75 Fender Jazz all stock

current main rig:
Ampeg SVP Pro Pre
QSV 900
Carvin 210
EV 210

backup gear:
Ampeg V4
Ampeg V4B
68 Bassman 50
Cabinet w/ 2-15" Altecs

Bob
Buffalo Bluesman

Nick Loebner

Nov 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/10/98
Instruments

¤ Rickenbacker 4003cs (Chris Squire model)

¤ Rickenbacker 4001 (backup)

¤ Rickenbacker 4003s/8

¤ Eko B02 (when I need to rumble)

¤ Eko/Brandoni custom B02 fretless (when I need to sli-i-i-i-ide)

¤ Gibson Les Paul Special (double cut w/P100s)

¤ Yamaha FG412 (12-string acoustic)

Effects

¤ Boss OC2 Octaver

¤ Boss Auto-wah

¤ Boss loop selector

¤ E-H Big Muff

¤ Ernie Ball Volume

(other occasionally)

Amp

¤ Trace Elliot Twin head

¤ Trace Elliot 1153 cab

(I am considering puchase of the Trace 4x8 cab also)

Does anyone care?

--
...I'll get me coat,
- Nick.

Philip L. Anderson

Nov 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/10/98
Wow, this thread would be a great way for music manufacturers
to get an up to date mailing list <grin>

My Gear:

Basses:

1964 Fender P-bass w/ EMG
1976 Musicman Sabre w/EMG's
1969 Guild Starfire II mod by Alembic
(currently w/ EMG's)

Sadowski Outboard Preamp
Boss OS-2 octave

Amplifiers:

Club/low volume

Musicman HD 130 tube amp/or 1965 Fender Showman
Bassman 2 x D140F
(larger clubs, EV B215M 2 x 15 w/ 6" mid)

Outdoors:

Alembic F2B preamp
CS 800 Power amp
MusicMan HD 130 amp
Both EV and Fender cab (driven by Alembic/CS 800)
2ea. custom 2 x 12" (D120F) click cabinets (driven by MM HD130)

Cheers!

Phil Anderson
Tucson, AZ

Timmer

Nov 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/10/98
Finally, another Heartfield DR5. I played one forever, and no one
else had ever heard of it. What a great bass. Great tone variation,
solid construction, and i loved that balanced out for recording. I just
wish it had a smaller radius. That fingerboard was as flat as the
midwest. And what a battery hog. Mine was one of the last batches before
Fender took over too. Gunmetal gray.
Anyway, great choice. Just thought i would pass along some
support.

Timmer

Bass World

Anton Woldhek

Nov 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/10/98
  I play a 1996? Ibanez SoundGear 1000 (active)
(by the way could some one explain to me how the active control controller works! It doesn't always
do what I want it to do

Flasher model ???? Fender fake!

and a Peavey minx 110 Amp
Dream guitare is a rickenbacker although the one I own now cost more.

Daniel Santos

Nov 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/10/98
Hello Daniel
I'd sugest the zoom 3000B, it's a little more expensive than the 506 but
it's worthfull.
It has all effects module (with wah-wah), tuner and metronome.
Give it a try !

Daniel

--
------------------------------
|Daniel Ângelo da Silva Santos |

Michael J. Forgit

Nov 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/10/98
Hey low-enders!

Currently playing the following:

Bass:
Fender vintage reissue '62 P-bass (1998)
w/Thomastik-Infield Jazz Flats

Amplification:
SWR 350 head
Hartke 410TP cab
Sansamp Bass DI

Currently saving (and lusting) for a Sadowsky Vintage J

Regards, MjF
mike_...@msn.com

BatHead207

Nov 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/10/98

Simple enuff...

'78 Fender P-bass, natural finish, black pickguard, rosewood FB, Dean Markley
Blue Steel Ultra-lights

Kustom 150 -75 watts, 1x15 combo amp(with black tuck and roll upholstery!)

Grim Reaper Casting
Maker of "Nasteez"(tm) Fantasy gaming miniatures

Andy Fuchs and Family

Nov 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/10/98
to spam...@teleport.com
SWR PS400,Goliath 4X10. TC Chorus,EBS OCtaver,Warwick Tuna.

Alembic Spoiler Bass w/Markley Blue Steels
Fender Fretless Precision (late 70's) with BassLines P-J Comb
pickups,bass ass bridge, Blue Steel Strings
Kay late 30's upright with K+K double big twin PU

Skip Elliott Bowman wrote:

> I'll start...
>
> Acoustic:
>
> • 1920 King (3/4 size)
> • 1850 Tyrolean (13/16 size) w/C attachment (modified for
> pedalling low Eb, D, Db as well as low C)
> Bow:
> • Otto Pfetchner, 1915
>
> Strings: Tomastick Red Silk, Orchestra gauge
>
> Electric:
>
> • Custom 6 string (Warmouth parts) w/2 Bartolini p/u
> • Fender P-bass Lyte w/Seymour Duncan Quarter Pounder PJ p/u
> • SD Curlee w/Dimarzio Model 1 (w/brass cover plate) p/u,
> modified to fretless
>
> Strings: DR Hi Beams (.045--.105)
>
> Amps:
>
> • GK 200MB
> • Ampeg 215b
> • Roland Cube 60
> • Nemesis 410
>
> Outboard:
>
> • DMD graphic EQ
>
> Sound off, cats! Name the tools of your trade (bass gear only,
> please--no keyboards, drum machines, etc...)
>
> Skip "El Fumador"
> to reply, replace "spamisbad" with "skipster"

Stephen M. Ryan

Nov 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/10/98
Hey! Great hearing from another Heartfield believer! I've had mine since
1990. Geeze! I can't believe it's been THAT long! I absolutely love it. One
of the things that appealed to me about it (other than it being a great
bass) was the fact that no one knew what it was. I actually almost bought
another one just like it (same color and everything) to convert to a
fretless, but let it get away. :(

I have a buddy who owns the original prototype (no serial #!) 6 string
electric guitar that Heartfield built before going into line production.
It's every bit as good (IMO better!) than his PRS guitar.
I agree that the balanced out is a great feature. I've used it in the studio
a time or two and it had an unbelievable sound. But I'm not one to leave
well enough alone, so I'm thinking of plopping some Lane Poor pick-ups and a
new pre-amp into it.

The neck and fretboard feel great to me, but I've got huge hands. I think as
soon as my Alembic gets here I'm going to try stringing up the Heartfield
from E to C just for a change of pace.

Steve
--

note mucked up return address in hope of reducing spam
please remove the first 3 letters of the alphabet to reply

Jared

Nov 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/10/98
Call it overkill, or excess in excess...........

Basses (5-strings, and I like them all wide) :

Fodera Emperor 5 (Seymour Duncan Antiquity PU's)
Ken Smith BSR-5P
Curbow IEP-5 (semi-hollow)
David King D-Bass 5 headless 36" scale (#043)
David King D-Bass 5 headed (#044)
David King Fodera copy (#045)
Yamaha TRB-5P (Seymour Duncan custom P/J/piezo setup)
..... coming soon Modulus Genesis 5 fretless

Amp #1
SWR Grand Prix preamp
DBX 160A compressor
BBE 461
Korg DTR-1 tuner
Furman voltage regulator
(2) SWR Stereo 800 amps
(2) SWR Henry the 8X8 cabs
MXR Envelope Filter
EBS Octabass
Digitech Talker
Monster Cable on everything

Amp #2
SWR SM-900
Mesa Boogie Road Ready Powerhouse JR (4X8" + 1 12" w horn)
Mesa Boogie Road Ready 4x10 with horn

Amp #3
SWR SM-400
Bag End Q10X-D
Hartke 4X10

Amp #4
SWR Workingman's 12
Bag End 12

Andrew P. Mullhaupt

Nov 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/10/98

Big Dawgie wrote in message <727h37$2mq$1...@news2.tor.accglobal.net>...
>This thread could take over the NG!
>
>Basses: Fender Jazz - Geddy Lee Signature bass (1998)
> Fender Precision Bass Lite deluxe (1998)
> Steinberger L-2 (1984)
>
>Amp: G-K 800RB
> 2 x Yorkville 210 /w hi freq driver.

Mine is no longer than yours, if it's any comfort:

1974 Fender Jazz Bass
Unknown (recent) Tobias Growler

Ampeg B-15 Reissue
SansAmp BassDriver DI

Mostly I play the J-Bass through the B-15

Later,
Andrew Mullhaupt

Dan F Crea

Nov 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/10/98
In article <Pine.GSO.4.02A.98110...@user2.teleport.com>,
Timmer <tim...@teleport.com> wrote:

> Basses:
> Custom built 5 string fretted
> Warmoth jazz bass body (swamp ash with quilt maple stained
> black top)
> Warmoth maple neck with pau ferro fingerboard
> 2 Lane Poor W-series pickups
> black hardware
>
> Custom built 5 string fretless
> Warmoth jazz bass body (swamp ash with quilt maple stained
> black top)
> Warmoth maple neck with ebony fingerboard
> 2 Lane Poor N-series pickups
> black hardware

Do you ever get those two mixed up? Oops! Where's my frets?! <g>

Dan

--
<I need to get a signature file...>

Dan F Crea

Nov 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/10/98
This guy's got a lot of strings.

> cool thread...
>
> Main Gigging axes:
>
> Conklin custom 7-string f-less, tuned B-E-A-D-G-B-E
> Conklin custom 7-string fretted tuned F#-B-E-A-D-G-C
> Conklin New Century 7-string fretted tuned B-E-A-D-G-B-E
> Conklin doubleneck 7-string fretted/fretless, both tuned B-E-A-D-G-B-E

How much does that bottom one weigh? You must be a bodybuilder...

Dan F Crea

Nov 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/10/98
Basses:

'95 Warwick Fortress One Masterman Five string, Purple. Currently Warwick
Black Label strings, normally Slowwounds. What can I say, it's a Warwick!

'97 Ibanez TR500FL 4 string fretless, kind of a J-bass style bass,
Thomastic Jazz Flats. (Never thought I'd own an Ibanez, but this bass
sounds and plays great!)

J.B. Player P-bass, EMG P/J's, Warwick 3 band preamp out of a Streamer
Stage 2 (Try fitting that into a P-bass body!) Considering selling that,
if anybody's interested. D'addario Slowwounds.

Funky Blue Memphis P-bass, SD Basslines pickups, Badass II, should be a
crappy bass, but it's not too bad. Currently retired from active duty.

Funky upright bass homemade in the 1930's. Looks pretty rough, but sounds
pretty good! Huge midrange sound, great for pizz jazz. Fishman pickup
and preamp. Corelli strings.

Amp:

GK 200RB
Korg DT-2 Tuner
SKB 4 space rack

Speakers:

Yorkville 410B
Carvin V115

Sometimes I use an Ernie Ball volume pedal, occasionally others, very
rarely. I have all different types of cords, a SpectraFlex, a couple of
ProCos, Rapcos, some Ernie Balls, some I don't know...

My list sounds somewhat impressive... I'm waiting for Bill Bolton's!

j_...@mindspring.com

Nov 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/11/98
cool thread...

Main Gigging axes:

Conklin custom 7-string f-less, tuned B-E-A-D-G-B-E
Conklin custom 7-string fretted tuned F#-B-E-A-D-G-C
Conklin New Century 7-string fretted tuned B-E-A-D-G-B-E
Conklin doubleneck 7-string fretted/fretless, both tuned B-E-A-D-G-B-E

Main Gigging amps:
Trace Elliot AH600SMX -- -- good amp, awesome sound, but has
given me problems at gigs before, need a backup
ADA MP-1 guitar preamp

Backup Gig amp/Main Recording amp
Demeter VTBP-201 w/jensen DI
Rane active x-over
BGW Performance series 3 Power amp

Cabinets :
2 4x12 Hartke Aluminum cone Guitar cabinets
Ev B115 Vented Midrange cabinet

On the way :
Conklin custom 8-string fretless w/custom Seymour duncan Music-man
style pickup, Tuned F#-B-E-A-D-G-B-E
EAW dual 18" subwoofer
Mackie 1400 - to replace the BGW

In the closet:
Ric white 4001
'78 black Fender J-bass
Pedulla f-less 4-string
Unknown steinberger copy converted to f-less
Mesa Boogie bass 400
Fender dual bass 400

john turner

get rid o'them pesky underlines (jmt) and email away

http://www.mindspring.com/~lordonly

Timmer

Nov 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/11/98
Steve,
I can't believe that part about having a second one picked out for
making into a fretless. So did i. It was an exact twin. I was going to
buy them both at the same time and have the frets pulled of one but i had
a last minute financial emergency and could only afford one of the two.
The other one was sold before i came up with the rest of the cash. I
guess great minds think alike.
One of the guys who ownes a studio that i record at has an older
Heartfield six string guitar. He loves it for recording. But it's this
awful yellow color. That yellow guitar, the bass i almost bought, and the
bass that i did purchase are the only three Heartfields that i have ever
seen.
Anyway, nice to connect with someone else that knows a good bass
when they see it.

Take care,

Timmer

Joseph Hansen

Nov 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/11/98
Fender '93 American Standard Jazz
Ampeg SVT-III Pro Amp
Eden 410XLT cabinet
Effects: none; I'm from the old school that says a bass should play a
solid line (although i do enjoy listening to what others can do with
effects)

It's been fun to see what everyone else is using, from the very basic to
the wild and unexpected!

Joseph Hansen
han...@iwvisp.com

Chris Weigt

Nov 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/11/98

Yamaha RBX5 5-string, with d'Addario strings (.45 - .105, .130 B)
Trace Elliot Boxer 65 combo

Want list:
Tech 21 Sans Amp Bass Driver DI
Laney 300 watt head and 215 cab
and:
the Oz dollar to strengthen up a bit ;)

Chris

Anthony915

Nov 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/11/98

The one that I like the most is my '93 Fender Jazz with EMG's and an EMG
preamp. It sounds a little like a vintage Fender Jazz with a little bit of
growl (not enough) and a lot more low end.
Anthony Brown
Lithonia, GA
abrow...@aol.com

Stephan Koesters

Nov 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/11/98
Skip Elliott Bowman wrote:

Electric:
1984 Wal 4string, Wenge/Mahagony
1981 Ibanez Musician fretless, 4string, the one with 5 knobs
1985 Maya Precision, 4string (my first bass which now has seen any
replacement I can think of, DiMarzio PU, PiezoPU
etc)

Amps
GK 200MB
Custom made 4x10" + unknown Power Amp

Pedals:
EBS Octaver
Boss Octaver (only one at a time)
TC XII Phaser

Fishman ProEQ for the double bass or the Precision

Plans:
Acme LowB2
Ashdown Klystron Amp

PS: I'm looking for the TC Electronics Dual Parametric EQ Pedal
--
Stephan K"osters Stephan....@informatik.uni-erlangen.de

Inkwell7

Nov 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/11/98
Might as well add my short list.
Ken Smith 6stg - main axe (very versatile axe)
g&l 5 string

Carvin preamp and mosfet 450
Carvin 2x10
Swr Goliath III 410
Art effects unit.

Christmas list
Fender Jazz - dosen't every bass player have to get one some time in his
carrer?
Eden Navigator
Upright
Eden, SWR, or Genz Benz 15' or 18' woofer

Inkwell7

Nov 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/11/98
.><HTML><PRE><FONT COLOR="#000000" BACK="#ffffff" SIZE=3>Subject: Re: A Roll
>Call: What Are You Playing?
>From: Chris Homco <hotw...@brook.ffni.com>
>Date: Mon, Nov 9, 1998 21:46 EST
>

>This will probably make all of you pros laugh put I just started playing 1
>month
>ago. I play a karera p-bass 4 string it's a no namer but I'm really surpised
>at
>how good it sounds. Dean Markley Blue Steels, all running into a Peavy BX-15
>combo amp. Pretty humble setup but it works to learn
>
>Chris
>
></PRE></HTML>

Just Keep playing and if you sound good, who cares what you play over time
you'll probably get more equipment. I also wonder what everyone else started
out on, mine was a 92 Japanese Fender P-Bass and an old Randal Keyboard amp,
whose speakers were always blowing out

Jim Constantopoulos

Nov 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/11/98
In article <36497DC7...@informatik.uni-erlangen.de>, Stephan Koesters <koes...@informatik.uni-erlangen.de> wrote:
>Skip Elliott Bowman wrote:

Modulus Q4 with Lane Poors and Modulus strings
Ibanez Roadster with Basslines Hot P-J pickups and GHS Supersteels
Carvin LB70 fretless with DR Sunbeams
76 Rickenbacker with GHS Progressives
75 Gibson Grabber with DR Hi-Beams

TC Electronics chorus/flange/pm
EBS Octabass
Ibanez analog delay

SWR SM 400s
SWR Goliath III
SWR Bigfoot

Wishlist (Santa, are you listening?) - Sans Amp Bass di or Boss bass
overdrive, Mutron III, ..................

Dr. Jim Constantopoulos<br>
Dept. of Physical Sciences - Geology<br>
Eastern New Mexico Univ.<br>
Portales, NM 88130<br>

j_...@mindspring.com

Nov 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/11/98
dc...@d.umn.edu (Dan F Crea) wrote:

>This guy's got a lot of strings.
>

>> cool thread...
>>
>> Main Gigging axes:
>>
>> Conklin custom 7-string f-less, tuned B-E-A-D-G-B-E
>> Conklin custom 7-string fretted tuned F#-B-E-A-D-G-C
>> Conklin New Century 7-string fretted tuned B-E-A-D-G-B-E
>> Conklin doubleneck 7-string fretted/fretless, both tuned B-E-A-D-G-B-E
>

>How much does that bottom one weigh? You must be a bodybuilder...

about 30 lbs. funny thing, most of the songs that i play the
doubleneck on are pretty long, and i end up using footpedals in them,
so i am sort of wondering if by the time i am 40 my one leg will be
shorter than the other.

hope not.

People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of
thought which they seldom use. -Kierkegaard

Timmer

Nov 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/11/98
Those were really good answers. Thanks for taking the time to
respond. It sounds like you have heavily considered all of your decisions
before you made them. Good luck in continuing to open doors to new
concepts for bass as an instrument. And you are right, Lane Poor's are
the best pickups ever made.

Timmer

It is loading more messages.