Ibanez SR506 or Carvin LB76

Steven Spector

Mar 28, 1995, 12:12:34 PM3/28/95

I have narrowed my 6 string decision to an Ibanez SR506 or Carvin LB76.
I love the Yamaha 6 string but it costs over $1200 and that is more than
I am prepared to spend. I would like to know if anyone out there has
tried out both of these or either bass and has any opinions. I find the
Ibanez very playable (slapping and finger playing) but not as much as the
Yamaha or some Tobiases I have tried out; but as I said earlier, I am on
a tight budget.

Bottom line, what is the opinion of some experienced six string players.
Since I live in New Jersey, it is not easy for me to try out a Carvin and
my fingers are now yearning for that six! Thanks in advance for your advice.

-steve

-sspe...@umdnj.edu

David M. Sweeney

Mar 29, 1995, 3:00:00 AM3/29/95
Steven Spector <sspe...@njmsa.UMDNJ.EDU> wrote:

>I have narrowed my 6 string decision to an Ibanez SR506 or Carvin LB76.
>I love the Yamaha 6 string but it costs over $1200 and that is more than
>I am prepared to spend. I would like to know if anyone out there has
>tried out both of these or either bass and has any opinions. I find the
>Ibanez very playable (slapping and finger playing) but not as much as the
>Yamaha or some Tobiases I have tried out; but as I said earlier, I am on
>a tight budget.

I own an Ibanez SR-506, and I've been quite pleased with it. The 1994 models
have dual truss rods in the neck, which gets rid of the 'rubber neck' feel
that a lot of their older fives and sixes have. It also has redesigned
pickups, which are far superior to the older Soundgear pickups. I've used
it for a whole bunch of gigs and just finished recording a demo with it,
and I'm very happy with its sound and feel. It took me a while to get
used to the plank-like neck, but it's nothing that a little woodshedding
couldn't solve (if only school and work permitted!) I also have an older
Ibanez SR-800, and the sound of the new bass has landed that poor thing
firmly in the closet.

Overall, the Ibanez is a hell of a deal. I tried a few high end basses
like the Zon, Alembic and Tobias six-strings, and the Ibanez isn't quite
up to the quality level of the others, but the price is substantially lower.
I got mine for slightly over $700, including a $100 hard case. I considered
a Carvin, but the configuration I wanted would have been about $1100, which
was out of my price range. It's a fantastic bass if you're on a limited
budget. Heck, even if you're not, it's still worth a look. The Zon I tried
out sounded better, but it didn't sound $2000 better.

If you have further questions, feel free to email me.

--
David M. Sweeney [swe...@cs.colostate.edu]
When Elvis Presley died in 1977, there were 37 Elvis impersonators in the

Josh520

Mar 31, 1995, 3:00:00 AM3/31/95
I agree. I got my Ibanez SR506 for $650 with a case, in natural maple with
gold hardware. It plays and sounds great, and the double truss rods make
adjustments a snap. This bass is bulletproof. Get one.

David M. Sweeney

Apr 1, 1995, 3:00:00 AM4/1/95

Natural maple? How'd you manage that? When I ordered mine, the factory rep
claimed that they only made them in black or this awful turquoise color -- I
really wanted a natural finish one after seeing the 5-string version. If I
could have gotten that bass in natural or dark green, I would have been in
heaven...

PeteCPilot

Apr 12, 1995, 3:00:00 AM4/12/95
To tell you the truth, I didn't like the Ibenez. The strings are to close
together for me. I found a Bass Collection 6-string for $1200.00 Plays
better then the Yamaha. BTW, Bass Collection is out of business. That's
my kick around bass. My main Axe is something my bass teacher and I put
together. It has a Modules (neck through) neck with Bartolini
Electronics. Plus we put a hip shot on the B-string. It's a kick ass
bass, and I've never played one that plays better for under $3000.00

Pete Roberts PeteC...@aol.com