Finger Sensitivity Problem

TXPAScot

Nov 25, 2023, 11:10:56 AM11/25/23
Good Day, Everyone!
I am 64 years old and have been playing the pipes for about 20 years. I have noticed lately a tendency of the fingers of my right hand to be less sensitive to feeling the holes on my chanter when I play. This has caused my hand to slide out of position when playing, leading to some unintended - and awkward - notes, even on tunes I am well familiar with. I have tried using lotion to improve sensitivity, with limited success. Does anyone out there have any other suggestions as to what to do for this?

Lloyd Bogart

Dec 11, 2023, 3:52:16 PM12/11/23
On Saturday, November 25, 2023 at 10:10:56 AM UTC-6, TXPAScot wrote:
> Good Day, Everyone!
> I am 64 years old and have been playing the pipes for about 20 years. I have noticed lately a tendency of the fingers of my right hand to be less sensitive to feeling the holes on my chanter when I play. This has caused my hand to slide out of position when playing, leading to some unintended - and awkward - notes, even on tunes I am well familiar with. I have tried using lotion to improve sensitivity, with limited success. Does anyone out there have any other suggestions as to what to do for this?

This *may* be a symptom of peripheral neuropathy,
something I'm also struggling with: (age 80, 60+ yrs
piping). Slow practice, to over-train the hands, is the
only thing I can recommend.

If you post the same on the *Bob Dunsire Forum*
you might get a few more suggestions.