Whats your set up

STEPHEN PANNONE

Jun 7, 2001, 2:58:56 AM6/7/01

Jun 7, 2001, 3:27:32 AM6/7/01
Bag? Leather, medium

~~~~~~
Sean Dugdale

MrRobotTow

Jun 7, 2001, 4:59:21 AM6/7/01
>Drones? Kron
>Drone Reeds? Modified synthe drones.
>Chanter? Kron
>Chanter Reed? Soutar, Apps, a half dozen others.
>Bag? The one god gave me... Oh you mean on my pipes? Canmore.

Chris Hamilton

Jun 7, 2001, 7:11:52 AM6/7/01
On Thu, 7 Jun 2001 02:58:56 -0400, "STEPHEN PANNONE"
<Dtvs...@prodigy.net> wrote:

>Whats your set up??

Drones?
MacLellan
Drone Reeds?
Mark Lee Rockets
Chanter?
Solo:
Kron blackwood (the "band" model)
Soutar blackwood
Band:
Shepherd blackwood
Kron poly
Chanter Reed?
Soutar
Soutar
Soutar
Johnstone
Bag?
Gannaway (medium)
Gannaway water trap w/ custom stock

Chris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Christopher Hamilton -- ToneCzar Inc.
ch...@toneczar.com -- www.toneczar.com

Dougie Lindsay

Jun 7, 2001, 7:25:11 AM6/7/01

Drones? Shepherd
Drone Reeds? Shepherd SM90
Chanter? Shepherd AB MK III, Shepherd MK II Poly
Chanter Reed? Shepherd
Bag? Shepherd Regulator

Hey, i'm a shepherd fan OK :)

Dougie Lindsay
Glasgow, Scotland.

Matthew Buckley

Jun 7, 2001, 7:28:10 AM6/7/01
Drones: Hamish Moore - African Blackwood, boxwood mounts and ferrules,
plain turned

Drone Reeds: Wygent Dua-Tone tenors, and reg. Wygent bass

Chanter: MacHarg for band and solo. comps., and H. Moore for concert Bb on
the
back porch

Chanter Reed: Gilmour

Bag: Gannaway

Cheers. Matt

Patrick Piper

Jun 7, 2001, 7:53:20 AM6/7/01
Drones? Gibson
Drone Reeds? Rocket Tenors and my own concoction for the bass
Chanter? Kron phenolic
Chanter Reed? Apps
Bag? Gannaway w/water trap

Pat
(Yes, I'm a real person with a set of real pipes)

hcstockŽ

Jun 7, 2001, 8:35:36 AM6/7/01
Drones: MacDougall, Ivory (1890's)
Drone Reeds: Ezzedrone
Chanter: Nail BW/silver sole
Chanter Reed: Shepherd
Bag: Shepherd Regulator

Other set.

Drones: Henderson (1950's)
Drone Reeds: Ezzedrone
Chanter: Nail BW/ Ivory
Chanter Reed: Shepherd
Bag: Shepherd Regulator

"STEPHEN PANNONE" <Dtvs...@prodigy.net> wrote in message
: Whats your set up??

:
:
:

MacRodel

Jun 7, 2001, 8:44:04 AM6/7/01
>Drones? Grainger/Campbell ca/1965

>Drone Reeds? tenor:one ezeedrone, one Wygent (well, it works!) ; bass:
inverted cane

>Chanter? borrowed wooden Kron (hi Bob, I'll return it soon, I promise!)

>Chanter Reed? Meg/Ross

>Bag? L&M medium

a very sweet-sounding set of pipes for a solo player...
-Sue Mack, Queen of the Pownal Piping Society

hcstockŽ

Jun 7, 2001, 8:58:16 AM6/7/01
Opps, In my Henderson's I have a cane bass. Sorry for the mistake,
Curt

"hcstockŽ" <hcs...@home.com> wrote in message
: Drones: MacDougall, Ivory (1890's)

: :
: :
:
:

Ayrhead

Jun 7, 2001, 9:07:56 AM6/7/01

Drones? Gibson
Drone Reeds? Ezee
Chanter? Band1: Gibson Poly Band2:Gibson AB Solo:
Soutar
Chanter Reed? Band1: Soutar Band2:Macey Solo:
Ceol Mor
Bag? Ross Zipper, Extended Small

I'm sure you were all waiting breathlessly for that.

--
- Kay (almost a piper)

Chris Thomas

Jun 7, 2001, 12:14:49 PM6/7/01
Would you like to adopt a son? ;-)

Drones: Kron
Drone Reeds: Mark Lee
Chanter: Solo - Kron Medalist
Band - Gibson

Reed: Band-M/R, Solo: Gilmour
Bag: L&M (until it wears out).

Regars, Chris.

DMurphy98

Jun 7, 2001, 9:18:56 AM6/7/01
Drones: Shepherd AB
Drone Reeds: Synthedrone
Chanter: Shepherd Mark III AB
Chanter Reed: Today - Shepherd; Yesterday - Soutar; Tuesday for 14 minutes:
Gilmour
Bag: Ross cannister bag

Dan

Lori Wilson-Gaudet

Jun 7, 2001, 9:27:55 AM6/7/01
Drones: Hallmarked 1916 Peter Henderson Silver and Ivory
Chanter: Early 80's Sinclair
Drone Reeds: Ezees
Chanter Reeds: Either Shepherds or MegRoss
Bag: Ross canister regular

Cheers,
Lori

davey armstrong

Jun 7, 2001, 10:02:15 AM6/7/01
Whats your set up??

Drones? Kron Classic
Drone Reeds? Ezeedrone Tenors and Cane Bass
Chanter? Kron Phenolic and Naill ABW
Chanter Reed? Megarity-Ross
Bag? Extended Small Ross Canister Zipper

Cheers,
davey

Gerald Griffith

Jun 7, 2001, 9:57:35 AM6/7/01
On Thu, 07 Jun 2001 11:53:20 GMT, Patrick Piper wrote:

>Drones? Gibson

>Chanter? Kron phenolic

Do you get a lot of fights breaking out in your pipe box?

hcstockŽ

Jun 7, 2001, 10:11:39 AM6/7/01
: Chris Thomas" <GMG...@Wilmorite.com> wrote in message
: news:3B1FA879...@Wilmorite.com...
: Would you like to adopt a son? ;-)

lol Now if I could just get a new set of fingers.

I always wanted to put a tune up on the internet so people could hear the
drones. I don't have a clue on how to do that. I have a web site, maybe I
could add music to it. Don't know. The web site has nothing to do with
bagpipes. It is about a car I own. That would be funny to open up the site
and see an old car and pipes are playing. What do you think?

curt

:
: Drones: Kron

: > :
: > :
:

Paula & Takeshi

Jun 7, 2001, 10:06:14 AM6/7/01
Drones: Naill (1989)
Drone Reeds: Ezzedrone
Chanter: Warnock (2000)
Chanter Reed: Shepherd
Bag: Ross Sealed Bag (Med.)

Other set.
Drones: Fletcher (2001)
Drone Reeds: Henderson harmonic (black tongue)
for Bass
Henderson fiber tongue for tenors
Chanter: Nail BW/No sole

Chanter Reed: Shepherd
Bag: Shepherd Regulator

Takeshi

MrRobotTow

Jun 7, 2001, 10:16:55 AM6/7/01
>Do you get a lot of fights breaking out in your pipe box?

LMAO! Yes, and the Kron kicks butt every time.

Black Part's Trusty Sidekick

Jun 7, 2001, 10:31:16 AM6/7/01
for products, events, and reviews

"STEPHEN PANNONE" <Dtvs...@prodigy.net> wrote in message
> Whats your set up??
>
> Drones?
J&R Glen silver and ivory

> Drone Reeds?
Wygent Duatones straight across

> Chanter?
Kintail, Thomson, DONALD MACDONALD

> Chanter Reed?
Andrew Frater - finest in the world

> Bag?
Ross with zipper, no canister

--

Iain Sherwood

see what's new at www.cuillinn.com

Patrick Piper

Jun 7, 2001, 10:32:04 AM6/7/01
"Gerald Griffith" <ro...@superaje.com> wrote in message

As a matter of fact, I have to store them in separate cases. If you think
that's bad, you should hear the squeeling I get when I shove that chanter
into the Gibson chater stock. Reminds me of the movie "Deliverance".

Pat

MMc

Jun 7, 2001, 10:39:11 AM6/7/01
Not much of a piper quite yet, but here's what I'm using to forge ahead...

Drones: MacLellan -- 2001 Celtic Cross (real vintage stand <G>..)
Drone reeds: Wygent Synthe Drone (just getting the knack of tweaking these
birds)
Chanter: MacLellan polypenco -- Works for me. I may try something else too--
Kron or Soutar I think.
Chanter reed: So far, I've fiddled with Soutar, Apps and Shepherd. Coming
round to prefer the Soutar.
Bag: MacHarg Elkhide (medium). Heavy duty and comfortable-- with big bright
rivets. (Tempted to play without the cover.) It came with the pipes...I
really like it.

--
Slàinte!

MMc
____________________
Michael McWilliams
Cohasset, MA
____________________

Ken MacKenzie

Jun 7, 2001, 10:44:48 AM6/7/01

>Whats your set up??

Drones? Naill
Drone Reeds? Rockets
Chanter? Naill B/W
Chanter Reed? Apps Ridgeback
Bag? Gannaway L WT

Ken

Ken MacKenzie
akm...@dccnet.com
Sechelt, BC Canada
Height by genetics---Width by brewery.
http://www.user.dccnet.com/akmack

Tim Sullivan

Jun 7, 2001, 10:47:22 AM6/7/01
This thread started with a really good question. I'd like to change it a
bit to see how many pipers have how many sets of pipes. Dealers do *not*
include the inventory. Personal sets only.

MrRobotTow

Jun 7, 2001, 10:52:06 AM6/7/01
> Coming
>round to prefer the Soutar.

We are too, wonderful tone and yet reasonably easy too. Just a great reed.

MrRobotTow

Jun 7, 2001, 11:00:11 AM6/7/01
>This thread started with a really good question. I'd like to change it a
>bit to see how many pipers have how many sets of pipes.

We have 2.5 sets, because one is a half set.

Chris Thomas

Jun 7, 2001, 2:05:55 PM6/7/01
I think it depends on the type of car. If it's a voltswagen Beetle, you might
get some nice harmonics between the drones and the exhaust pipes. Not sure how
they'd blend with a Volvo though. :)

What's your website?

Regards, Chris.

Black Part's Trusty Sidekick

Jun 7, 2001, 11:09:42 AM6/7/01
not including inventory:

1 set J&R Glens silver/imitation ivory
1 set J&R Glens vermeil/mastodon ivory
1 set smallpipes

--

Iain Sherwood

see what's new at www.cuillinn.com

for products, events, and reviews

"Tim Sullivan" <shen...@REMOVEflash.net> wrote in message

Lawrie Silverberg

Jun 7, 2001, 11:11:39 AM6/7/01

>Whats your set up??
>
>Drones?
Tweedies
>Drone Reeds?
Tenor - Iain Macey cane
Bass- Jake Watson inverted
>Chanter?
60's Sinclair
>Chanter Reed?
Elliott
>Bag?
extended small Ross zipper

Lawrie

hcstockŽ

Jun 7, 2001, 11:48:20 AM6/7/01
lol You are killing me over here. My web site is
http://www.corvetteforum.net/classics/curtis/

Maybe I could make another page from that one to hear sound clips or have
pipes in the background. I am not too good with all the computer stuff.
Maybe someone can give me a pointer or two. I was wondering, does it take a
long time for the site to come up? I have a high speed connection and can't
tell. If I have sound on the page should I make the pictures smaller?

Clueless,
Curt

: I think it depends on the type of car. If it's a voltswagen Beetle, you

: > : > :
: > :
:

Ryan

Jun 7, 2001, 12:15:51 PM6/7/01
Drones- Willie Sinclair 1964(af blackwood silver and ivory)
Drone Reeds (Cane, mcnulty cane to be more specific.)
Chanter(band issued plastic mccallum, very nice for a plastic chanter)
Chanter Reed(Megarity-Ross)
Bag- Sheepskin 10 1/2

My Other Set up(mainly for loan in case of emergencies ie. craked bass
drone(it's happened)
Drones- Hardie yr? Orange mounts Nice Bass)
Drone Reeds Ez drones and cane bass
Chanter Mccallum plastic
Chanter reed M& R
bag elk hide medium

Maeve

Jun 7, 2001, 11:41:22 AM6/7/01
> Whats your set up??
>
> Drones?
Sinclairs .... 195? a.k.a. "Angus"

> Drone Reeds?
SM-90 or cane
Tone Enhancers

> Chanter?
1) Kron AB
2) Gibson AB
3) Shepherd Mk 2

> Chanter Reed?
Meg/Ross or Gilmour

> Bag?
Shepherd Regulator

There is now also Draco .... will know more later :)
Love and Light,
Maeve
"Life should be lived as play" Plato
http://people.delphi.com
ter...@sanctum.com

Ewan A. Macpherson

Jun 7, 2001, 12:27:46 PM6/7/01
> Drones?
Naill
> Drone Reeds?
EZ-drone (or cane when I'm in a diligent phase)
> Chanter?
Nail BW
> Chanter Reed?
Gilmour
> Bag?
Small Begg sheepskin, tube watertrap

--
Ewan Macpherson
http://www.a2pipesanddrums.org

hcstockŽ

Jun 7, 2001, 1:02:29 PM6/7/01
Maeve, you need more chanters. Goodness.

curt

"Maeve" <ter...@sanctum.com> wrote in message
: > Whats your set up??

:
:
:
:

Chris Eyre

Jun 7, 2001, 6:18:28 AM6/7/01
Ross cannister zipper bag (medium)
AB Kintail drones (old)
Mark Lee Rocket drone reeds
WarMac poly chanter with Higgins reed (band)
Naill AB chanter with Higgins reed (solo)

Chris Eyre

"STEPHEN PANNONE" <Dtvs...@prodigy.net> wrote in message

| Whats your set up??
|
| Drones?

Michael & Diana

Jun 7, 2001, 1:12:19 PM6/7/01

STEPHEN PANNONE wrote:

> Whats your set up??
>
> Drones? 1989 Sinclair
> Drone Reeds? Eezedrone tenors (Iain Macey cane when I can
> practice frequently enough to keep them going), Iain Macey cane bass
> reed.

> Chanter? 1989 Sinclair
> Chanter Reed? Gilmour
> Bag? Ross Cannister bag (zipper)

I really prefer cane, but haven't had the time to practice frequently
enough to keep them going. If I had my druthers, I'd be a cane and
sheepskin man, but Eezedrones are a very good second choice in my pipes.

Michael

Glen Waddell

Jun 7, 2001, 1:59:21 PM6/7/01
Waiting for my new setup to arrive...

Drones: Dunbar AB with custom mounts.
Drone Reeds: EZdrone
Chanter: Gibson, Dunbar
Chanter Reed: Gilmour, McAllister, Caldwell
Bag: Ross cannister

Copperhead

Jun 7, 2001, 2:38:42 PM6/7/01
"STEPHEN PANNONE" <Dtvs...@prodigy.net> wrote in message news:<9fn8p0$2tf0$1...@newssvr06-en0.news.prodigy.com>...
> Whats your set up??

I.
> Drones? 90 year old Henderson
> Drone Reeds? Mark Lee
> Chanter? Naill
> Chanter Reed? McAllister
> Bag? Gannaway

II.
> Drones? Gillanders and MacLeod
> Drone Reeds? Mark Lee tenors and currently a Wygent bass
> Chanter? Maple Sinclair, Naill
> Chanter Reed? Ceol Mor, Gilmour
> Bag? L&M

III.
> Drones? Dunbar poly
> Drone Reeds? Henderson Harmonix
> Chanter? Dunbar
> Chanter Reed? Gilmour
> Bag? Canmore
>
> --

COTTONHEAD
DON'T SLED ON ME

Scot Kortegaard

Jun 7, 2001, 2:45:03 PM6/7/01

"STEPHEN PANNONE" <Dtvs...@prodigy.net> wrote in message
> Whats your set up??

**Set #1**

> Drones?
Early '60's Sinclairs B/W w/ivory
> Drone Reeds?
Wygents, these just work GREAT in my Sinclairs
> Chanter?
McCallum B/W, Gibson B/W, Old Sinclair B/W, Warnock poly
> Chanter Reed?
McGarrity Ross, Gilmour, Caldwell, Elliot
> Bag?
Gannaway, large, no trap - don't like 'em - love the moisture
control and the feel

**Set #2 (the old dawgs - backups)**

> Drones?
Early something mongrels - B/W
> Drone Reeds?
Henderson Harmonics
> Chanter?
something from set #1
> Chanter Reed?
McGarrity Ross, Gilmour, Caldwell, Elliot
> Bag?
Medium L&M, no trap - don't like 'em

Scot.

dp_tx

Jun 7, 2001, 2:49:58 PM6/7/01
Drones: Shepherd
Reeds: Shep Sm90's, with Tone Enhancers
Bag: Canmore zipper
Chanter: Shepherd Mark II
Chant Reed: Shepherd (do you see a trend here?)
Gibson air stream adjustable blowpipe

I think I covered all the bases here...
DP

Jeff MacLeod Ramsden

Jun 7, 2001, 3:19:48 PM6/7/01

"STEPHEN PANNONE" <Dtvs...@prodigy.net> wrote in message
> Whats your set up??
>
> Drones?

1950ish Hardie, silver and ivory

> Drone Reeds?

Cane usually....Duotones from time to time

> Chanter?

Naill A/B

> Chanter Reed?

Shepard maybe switching to MacPhee

> Bag?

Elk - L&M, switching to sheep

hackpiper

Jun 7, 2001, 3:38:35 PM6/7/01
> Whats your set up??
>
> Drones?
non-double toning KPettigrews

> Drone Reeds?
Ezees

> Chanter?
AB McCallum

> Chanter Reed?
Elliott

> Bag?
Canmore

--
hackpiper

Gord

Jun 7, 2001, 4:08:05 PM6/7/01
Drones- Naill DN5a's
Drone Reeds- Synthe-Drone Tenors Henderson cane-Bass
Chanter- Naill
Chanter Reed- Magherity/Ross
Bass- Med. Ross Clamp Style

STEPHEN PANNONE <Dtvs...@prodigy.net> wrote in message

> Whats your set up??
>
> Drones?

> Drone Reeds?
> Chanter?
> Chanter Reed?
> Bag?

sdon

Jun 7, 2001, 4:07:06 PM6/7/01

Set #1

> Drones? AB David Booth. Sweet Drones!! (I play these 95% of the time)
>
> Drone Reeds? Rocket bass Tenors made myself.
> Chanter? Warnock poly for band, Naill blackwood, Shepherd MKII
> blackwood, Sinclair blackwood, Kron Blackwood for solos.. Depends on
> conditions mood etc.
> Chanter Reed? Warnock for the Warnock. Great combo....really rings
> Also Sandy St. James's "Joe Generic" reed (excellent reed for just
> about any chanter very consistant). Henderson & McPhee for the Naill.
> Mcphee, Warnock, Henderson, "Joe Generic" for the Shepherd and Kron.
> "Joe Generic" for Sinclair...perfect match.
> Bag? Gannaway med w/o water trap....Thanks Chris
>
> Set #2
> Drones? Kilgour Hand engraved silver and art ivory.
> (Robertsons....Kilgour was one of Robertsons pipe makers, makes an
> EXCELLENT pipe)
> Drone Reeds? Rockets & my own
> Chanter? Something from above.
> Chanter Reed? See above.

> Bag? Gannaway all the way!!! no water trap.

Set #3 (wife's pipes)
Drones? Krons AB
Drone reeds? Henderson bass my own tenors
Chanter? Warnock
Chanter reed "Joe Generic" & Warnock
Bag? L&M changing soon to Gannaway.

Don Smith
--
PIPER AT LARGE (sd...@utah.uswest.net)
White Peaks Pipe Band

James J Cheetham

Jun 7, 2001, 4:27:29 PM6/7/01
> Whats your set up??
>
> Drones? Old AB Kintail (sometime in 1970's, best estimate)
> Drone Reeds? New Henderson Harmonics (white)
> Chanter? Kron (polypenco)
> Chanter Reed? Jake Watson medium
> Bag? LM hide, large

JSLOANPR

Jun 7, 2001, 5:32:42 PM6/7/01
>>Drones? Gibson
>
>>Chanter? Kron phenolic
>>
>Do you get a lot of fights breaking out in your pipe box?

Good one Jerry!!!

Jim

JSLOANPR

Jun 7, 2001, 5:42:00 PM6/7/01
>Whats your set up??

Drones - Shepherd like them but, soon to be 1/4 silver mount
Hender/Krons. Hurry up Madman!
Drone Reeds - Rockets
Chanter - Kron Blackwood Solo "Medalist"
Band - Soutar
In the drawer, 98 Sinclair
Chanter Reed - Soutar
Bag - Shep Regulator, love it

Jim

Michael Le boeuf

Jun 7, 2001, 5:47:37 PM6/7/01

Whats your set up??
Currently........
Drones? plain silver/im ivory Naills (and a Lynn Miller Blowpipe)
Drone Reeds? Shepherd (blue and black)
Chanter? a few Sinclair's and a McCallum
Chanter Reed? Megarity & Ross
Bag? Cannister

JSLOANPR

Jun 7, 2001, 5:50:18 PM6/7/01
>Maeve

>> Chanter?
>1) Kron AB
>2) Gibson AB
>3) Shepherd M

Talk about a fight in your pipe case!

Jim

Doug Campbell

Jun 7, 2001, 6:24:06 PM6/7/01
Damn, Sue - As many times as I've seen yer pipes I never knew they were
Graingers! I guess I just never asked. Or I forgot. Funny, but you're
about the closest to my setup I've seen so far on the group.

Drones: Grainger/Campbell
Drone Reeds: Wygents
Chanter 1: Naill b/w w/Gilmour reed
Chanter 2: Shepherd Mark II poly w/Shepherd reed
Bag: L&M
Airstream b/s
Homemade tube w/t

Not my dream setup but we do what we can. It's the fingers, anyway.

DC

MacRodel wrote:

> >Drones? Grainger/Campbell ca/1965
>
> >Drone Reeds? tenor:one ezeedrone, one Wygent (well, it works!) ; bass:
> inverted cane
>
> >Chanter? borrowed wooden Kron (hi Bob, I'll return it soon, I promise!)
>
> >Chanter Reed? Meg/Ross
>
> >Bag? L&M medium
>
> a very sweet-sounding set of pipes for a solo player...
> -Sue Mack, Queen of the Pownal Piping Society

Jim McGillivray

Jun 7, 2001, 6:53:46 PM6/7/01
Drones:
Now: Hendersons, 1912, Silver & Ivory
After Jul 15: Kron Heritage, 2001, Full Silver

Reeds: Mark Lee Rockets

Chanters and reeds:
1 2001 Kron Medallist 'Solo' with Gilmour reed
1 1999 Naill with Travaille reed
1 2001 Kron Medallist 'Solo' with MacPhee reed
1 1999 Naill with Donald MacPhee reed

Bag:
Ross Canister, extended small

Cheers,
Jim McGillivray

MCGILLIVRAY PIPING PARTNERSHIPS
~ Select Bagpipes & Accessories ~
www.piping.on.ca
905-726-4003
pip...@aci.on.ca

Jim McGillivray

Jun 7, 2001, 6:58:18 PM6/7/01

Tim Sullivan wrote:

> This thread started with a really good question. I'd like to change it a
> bit to see how many pipers have how many sets of pipes. Dealers do *not*
> include the inventory. Personal sets only.

I'll bite:

1912 Silver & Ivory Hendersons
1906 Silver & Ivory MacDougalls, brass lined
1948 Silver & Ivory Sinclairs, made and played by Willie Bryson

I won't include Scottish Smallpipes, Border Pipes, and Northumbrian
Smallpipes.

Jim McGillivray

Jun 7, 2001, 7:00:26 PM6/7/01

MrRobotTow wrote:

> > Coming
> >round to prefer the Soutar.
>
> We are too, wonderful tone and yet reasonably easy too. Just a great reed.

A stupendous reed, hampered by a fconsistent and rustratingly sharp high G.
Minus this problem it would be one of the best two or three reeds on the
market.

Jim McGillivray

MCGILLIVRAY PIPING PARTNERSHIPS
~Select Bagpipes & Accessories ~
www.piping.on.ca
905-726-4003
pip...@aci.on.ca

Rick

Jun 7, 2001, 7:11:58 PM6/7/01

Drones? Gillanders & McLeod
Drone Reeds? Ezee Drone - Band, SM90 - solo
Chanter? Warmac - band, Hardie AB - solo
Chanter Reed? Gilmour, Troy (MacAllister), Sherpherd, MegRoss
Bag? Ross canister/zipper

Also: L&M hide with Gillanders & McLeod chanter - MegRoss reed for
practice, but if you know of anyone with a set of drones for sale I'd like
to put a set on this 'goose' as it's fully stocked, just no drones.
preferably Dunbar poly.

Cheers,
Rick McFarlane

Royce Lerwick

Jun 7, 2001, 7:30:09 PM6/7/01
Sounds like the "Whistle Mavens" from every Irish session I've ever
been too. The other night I gave in, and in a moment of feeling "hey,
I kinda sound like shite," I went out and bought another whistle too.
Nothing like a 300 dollar tin whistle to make your feel better about
sounding like shite....

Phantom Pipe Band:
http://artists.mp3s.com/artists/118/sfu.html
Digital Warrior:
http://artists.mp3s.com/artists/83/royce_lerwick.html
Zetland Tunebook, PM's Handbook:
shetlandpiper.com
Zetland Pipes:
www.royceworld.com at:
http://www.haxxed.com/~royce/ (temp)

MrRobotTow

Jun 7, 2001, 7:44:53 PM6/7/01
>A stupendous reed,

I stand corrected, and no I'm not arguing with him LOL

>hampered by a fconsistent and rustratingly sharp high G.

Thank you for that tidbit, I thought it was our inexperience in working on
reeds that was causing that, but you just made us feel a whole lot better!

Bpiper3981

Jun 7, 2001, 8:16:28 PM6/7/01
Pipes - Gibson silver set
Drone reeds- Ian Macey / EZ's
Chanter- AB Gibson - AB Nail
Chanter reed- Meg/Ross & Gilmour
Cheers
GaryS>>>>>>>>>>>

MrRobotTow

Jun 7, 2001, 8:37:27 PM6/7/01
>>hampered by a fconsistent and rustratingly sharp high G.

And only one of the three Soutars we have has that problem.

Charlie Glendinning

Jun 7, 2001, 10:04:49 PM6/7/01
Drones?.......................1910 Ivory Lawries
Drone Reeds?............ 5 year old Wygents (sawed-off screw heads)
Chanter?.....................1950 Sinclair (voluptuous hips)
Chanter Reed?.......... Shepherd, Gilmour
Bag? ............................ MacHarg Elk-tanned (mit rivets)

Charlie Glendinning
Ashton, MD

Maeve

Jun 7, 2001, 11:17:10 PM6/7/01

> Maeve, you need more chanters. Goodness.

LOL!!! I didn't list the ones that I DON'T play, Curt! There's my 1030's
Lawrie with the great Ivory sole, an old Henderson, and goodness knows what
else in there! I've forgotten!
Love and Light,
Maeve
http://people.delphi.com/terralyn
ter...@sanctum.com

Maeve

Jun 7, 2001, 11:28:48 PM6/7/01
"Maeve" <ter...@sanctum.com> wrote in message
> There's my 1030's
> Lawrie with the great Ivory sole,

Where did THAT come from?!?!??! It should have read 1920's!

Chris Hamilton

Jun 7, 2001, 11:48:08 PM6/7/01
On Thu, 07 Jun 2001 14:47:22 GMT, "Tim Sullivan"
<shen...@REMOVEflash.net> wrote:

>This thread started with a really good question. I'd like to change it a
>bit to see how many pipers have how many sets of pipes. Dealers do *not*
>include the inventory. Personal sets only.

Two sets:

2000 MacLellans - Cocobola wood, silver ferrules and slides, satinwood
projecting mounts.

1900? MacDougalls - Ebony, full ivory mounts.

Chanters? A zillion.

Chris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Christopher Hamilton -- ToneCzar Inc.
ch...@toneczar.com -- www.toneczar.com

Sean Dugdale of Clan Hall

Jun 8, 2001, 12:40:25 AM6/8/01
Imitation Blackwood Dunbars, Antique Design (no imitation ivory and no beading
or combing. Chalice style tops.)

Simple and sound great!

~~~~~~~~
Sean Dugdale of Clan Hall

EdASmith

Jun 8, 2001, 12:52:10 AM6/8/01
>Subject: Whats your set up
>
>Whats your set up??

Drones? OLD Glens (Alexander?)
- with a Kron replacement bass turned to match (very well done)

Drone Reeds? OLD Henderson cane
- worth the effort ... and playing for ages

Chanter? c. 1980 Naill ABW (solo)
- Naill poly (as blowing-in chanter)
- on the shelf ...
- 1800's MacDougal of Breadalbane
- 1980's WarMac poly
- 1990's Shepherd poly

Chanter Reed? Caldwell or MegRoss

Bag? Bennett ... but Chris H. has almost convinced me to go Gannaway.

Edward Smith
Burton, Michigan, USA

Piperrod

Jun 8, 2001, 2:05:26 AM6/8/01
>Whats your set up??
>
>Drones? Shepherd
>Drone Reeds? Ezee's
>Chanter? Shepherd Poly (Band) Gibson AB (solo)
>Chanter Reed? Shepherd, Higgins, and Wygent
>Bag? Shepherd Regulator

Rodney Chisholm

Scot Kortegaard

Jun 8, 2001, 4:36:32 AM6/8/01
Listen to Chris.............he's right :)
"EdASmith" <edas...@aol.com> wrote in message

G0blet

Jun 8, 2001, 6:06:18 AM6/8/01
Another Tweedie person!

Main pipes:
Drones: Gibson 2000
Drone reeds: EZee
Solo Chanter: Gibson AB
Band: Nail poly
Chanter Reed: Shepard
Bag: L&M Elkhide

Second Set:

Drones: Tweedies
Drone reeds: EZs in tenor, cane in bass
Chanter: Dunbar poly
Chanter reed: Caldwell
L&M Hide

Sets loaned out:1999 MacLeods--canmore, with shepard drone and chanter reeds;
and a '70's set of Hardies with L&M hide bag, and Highlander (?) reeds with odd
bridles. Hardie chanter with a big im. ivory sole.

Also Walsh shuttles--three drone style.

Gloria

Barry Shears

Jun 8, 2001, 9:08:03 AM6/8/01

"Jim McGillivray" <jim...@aci.on.ca> wrote in message

> Tim Sullivan wrote:
>
> > This thread started with a really good question. I'd like to change it
> > bit to see how many pipers have how many sets of pipes. Dealers do
*not*
> > include the inventory. Personal sets only.

Well I'll throw mine in as well

1910 c Ivory Mounted set made by Gavin MacDougall, Aberfeldy
Pre WWI flat combed Lawries wood and nickel mounts
Half silver plate-half ivory 1920s Hendersons
1930s Hendersons wood and nickel mounts
1930s Hendersons Cassein mounts
1910 set of Duncan Gillis bagpipes bone, horn and nickel mounts
A full horn mounted set made of Rosewood, maker unknown, possibly dating
back to the 1790s or early 1800s. (I will be putting pictures of this set on
my web page in the next few weeks to see if anyone can come up with a
manufacturer)
geez! I suppose this makes me a collector!
Barry

Steven Knox

Jun 8, 2001, 9:57:33 AM6/8/01
Drones?.......................Early 20's Lawries
Drone Reeds?..............Eezedones
Chanter?......................Shepherd Mk III, AB
Chanter Reed?.............Shepherd
Bag? ...........................Shepherd Regulator Bag with Ross Innards
(Hoses & Box o' Rox)

Steve Knox

John Broadwell

Jun 8, 2001, 12:09:58 PM6/8/01
Steven, what have you started?? :-) :-)

SET 1
> Drones?..........1922 Henderson AB, Silver/ivory.
> Drone reeds?..Macey cane.
> Chanter?...........Shepherd Mk11.
> Chanter reed?...Hain.
> Bag?.................Canmore.
> Valve & water trap........Beck.

SET 2
> Drones?..........1936 Cocuswood David Glens, Nickel/button.
> Drone reeds?....Zudupiper/Ezedrone or cane.
> Chanter?...........1960 Hardie AB or Shepherd Mk11
> Chanter reed?...Apps ridgeback or Hain.
> Bag?................Shepherd Regulator.
> Valve & water trap?....Beck.

John Broadwell

Robert Barker

Jun 8, 2001, 4:52:39 PM6/8/01
Drones: Kron (classic?)
Drone Reeds: Henderson Harmonics
Chanter: Kron AB
Chanter reed: Souter
Bag: Ross extended small (no zipper or canister)

Bob B.

"STEPHEN PANNONE" <Dtvs...@prodigy.net> wrote in message

> Whats your set up??
>
> Drones?

> Drone Reeds?
> Chanter?
> Chanter Reed?
> Bag?

Dan Leary

Jun 8, 2001, 6:47:24 PM6/8/01

Drones....................Dunbar Polypenco P3's
Drone Reeds..........Wygent Synthdrone
Chanter....................Dunbar Poly
Chanter Reed..........Clanrye synthetic, Dunbar supplied Cane
Bag...........................L&M hide bag
Practice Chanter......Gibson poly long. Very Nice!

As I'm a beginner I wanted a chanter reed that wasn't too hard. the clanrye
works really well and doesn't sound bad at all, to me anyway.
I'm trying to break in the reed that dunbar supplied but its a tough go.

Dan

MrRobotTow

Jun 8, 2001, 7:22:15 PM6/8/01
>I'm trying to break in the reed that dunbar supplied but its a tough go.

Dan,
Trust me on this, get a Soutar reed or two, they are just as easy to blow but
sound like a reed is supposed to, thats testimonial from at least two people
who formerly used crapryes. I think ESPECIALLY in the beginning its important
you hear the right sound.
Chris at Toneczar has them and can pick ones to match your blowing and make of
chanter too!

Georgia Piper

Jun 8, 2001, 9:19:15 PM6/8/01
Drones? Booth
Drone Reeds? Ezeedrone
Chanter? Dunbar (poly)
Chanter Reed? Shepherd
Bag? Shepherd Regulator

MacRodel

Jun 8, 2001, 10:05:38 PM6/8/01
>Damn, Sue - As many times as I've seen yer pipes I never knew they were
>Graingers! I guess I just never asked. Or I forgot. Funny, but you're
>about the closest to my setup I've seen so far on the group.
>
>Drones: Grainger/Campbell
>Drone Reeds: Wygents
>Chanter 1: Naill b/w w/Gilmour reed
>Chanter 2: Shepherd Mark II poly w/Shepherd reed
>Bag: L&M
>Airstream b/s
>Homemade tube w/t
>
>Not my dream setup but we do what we can. It's the fingers, anyway.

Well then, Doug, it's obvious we should play together more often. How's about
we go down to Exchange Street in Portland and busk for the tourists???
-cheers, Sue

Luramao

Jun 8, 2001, 10:31:50 PM6/8/01
Drones: Lawrie (newer ones of the burnt orange color)
Drone reeds: Bass - currently Wygent synthe, but sometimes use EZ
shortie
Tenor: currently one Wygent synthe and one SM90
Chanter: Shepherd MK3 poly
Chanter reed: Higgins
Bag: Canmore

Drones: MacMurchie
Drone Reeds: Wygent synthe
Chanter: Naill ABW
Chanter reed: McPhee
Bag: Canmore

Matt Willis

Jun 9, 2001, 12:22:00 AM6/9/01
Past:
Drones: '97 Shepherd (full imit. ivory)
Drone Reeds: Wygent duatones
Chanter: Mk II Shepherd poly (solo) -- Shepherd reed
mid '90's Dunbar (band) -- Slagle reed
Bag: Shepherd Regulator

Present:
Drones: Early '80's Hardies (half mounted nickel/ivory)
Drone Reeds: Wygent synthedrone bass, duatone tenors
Chanter: Mk II Shepherd poly (solo) -- Shepherd reed
mid '90's Dunbar (band) -- Slagle reed
Bag: Shepherd Regulator

Near Future:
Drones: Kron Heritage #1's
Drone reeds: Mark Lee Rockets
Chanter: '01 Kron Medallist chanter (solo) -- Gilmour reed
mid '90's Dunbar (band) -- Slagle reed
Bag: Ross zipper cannister (extended small)
--
Matt Willis
nem...@mac.com

Alan Delison

Jun 9, 2001, 12:56:31 AM6/9/01
Drones; J & R Glens from Sharp & Co.
Drone reeds; Ezzes for me and SM90's for my wife.
Chanter; Band-Warmac We have a collection of chanters, but mostly just
use what the band uses.
Reeds; Macallister (band)

After the year of horror with my first pipes (yes even scottish
pipemakers can make bad pipes),
I got the glennys on the recommendation of my instructor. After another
year of listening to me go on and on about my wonderful pipes, my wife
tried the Glennys, put them down, picked up the phone and called Greg
Sharp about getting a set for her.
Her 60 year old Lawries are in a box behind the sofa.
Hank and Sue

STEPHEN PANNONE

Jun 9, 2001, 1:16:14 AM6/9/01
-------> Steven, what have you started?? :-) :-)

I think this thread is really great...Im with matt Willis.....But I want the
Kron Heritage #1a's with silver ferrules and slides
Kron Meadallist Chanter solo (with the flying saucer attached)
And a lg canmore
Think ToneCzar or Jim Will take a trade in??? :)
I almost bought a set of Kilgor & Kron pipes when I first started...From
what I understand the Drones were like tree trunks hollowed out...Really
heavy duty!!

With hopes of the future...
Steve P

Billybobwho2

Jun 9, 2001, 9:36:42 AM6/9/01
Subject: Re: Whats your set up
From: mrrob...@aol.com (MrRobotTow)
Date: Sat, Jun 9, 2001 9:34 AM

Drones? Paki ( I gotta good deal on them. Besides I can't play anyhow. So, I
don't want to here any shite from you arseholes)
Drone Reeds? I don't need those
Chanter? Gibson ( Thanks John)
Chanter Reed? See "drone reeds"
Bag? Oh you mean on my pipes?

Bill Carr

Jun 9, 2001, 11:25:41 AM6/9/01

Drones?.............Iain D. Murray of Forar
Drone Reeds? ..Custom made synthetics with G10 reverse tongues (not Rockets or any
other make that you have heard of)
Chanter? Plastic Warnock or Blackwood Naill
Chanter Reed? Gilmore
Bag? Gannaway

Bill Carr

JZMilton

Jun 9, 2001, 11:42:07 AM6/9/01
Drones- Kron
Drone reeds- Rockets
Bag- Shepherd
Chanter- Kron
Chanter reed- Soutar, Gilmour, etc.

Jonathan Milton

John Mitchell

Jun 9, 2001, 2:33:36 PM6/9/01

Jim McGillivray <jim...@aci.on.ca> wrote in

> A stupendous reed, hampered by a fconsistent and rustratingly sharp high
G.
> Minus this problem it would be one of the best two or three reeds on the
> market.
>
> Jim McGillivray

No bother in my Gibson or Sinclair chanter! :-)

I think for the most part Jim, the reed making business took a bit of a dive
after
MacAllister packed it in, but the new reeds coming out in just the past
couple
of years are pretty impressive.

Souter
The older Shepherds (new ones are ok, but not as good)
Meg/Ross
Caldwell (New and Old)
Gilmour(really nice)

One maker that is really impressive is J. Higgins
I've never seen a really well made reed like the one's
John is producing. This reed produces a nice solid top hand,
but they are not as free as the Shepherds.

If you want a nice instant sounding reed, try John Elliot's reeds.
Just started working these into our GR4 bands setup
and I really like them.

JBM

John Mitchell

Jun 9, 2001, 2:36:30 PM6/9/01

Barry Shears <ca...@ns.sympatico.ca> wrote in

> 1910 c Ivory Mounted set made by Gavin MacDougall, Aberfeldy
> Pre WWI flat combed Lawries wood and nickel mounts
> Half silver plate-half ivory 1920s Hendersons
> 1930s Hendersons wood and nickel mounts
> 1930s Hendersons Cassein mounts
> 1910 set of Duncan Gillis bagpipes bone, horn and nickel mounts
> A full horn mounted set made of Rosewood, maker unknown, possibly dating
> back to the 1790s or early 1800s. (I will be putting pictures of this set
on
> my web page in the next few weeks to see if anyone can come up with a
> manufacturer)
> geez! I suppose this makes me a collector!

Christ, I can only play one set at a time and half the time it's collecting
dust! ;-)

John Mitchell

Jun 9, 2001, 2:55:59 PM6/9/01

STEPHEN PANNONE <Dtvs...@prodigy.net> wrote in

> Whats your set up??

I didn't want to leave any of ewes guessing! ;-)

> Drones? 1990 Gibsons
> Drone Reeds? Ezee(Tenors) Watson cane(Bass) Same reeds since 1998
> Band Chanter? 2001 Gibson (AB)
> Chanter Reed? Caldwell (Heavy)
> Solo Chanter? Same( it's universal)
> Solo Reed? Gilmour (Medium)
> Bag? 1997 Ross Can.

John Mitchell

Jun 9, 2001, 2:59:51 PM6/9/01

Alan Delison <Del...@webtv.net> wrote in

> year of listening to me go on and on about my wonderful pipes, my wife
> tried the Glennys,

What's it like to have a wife who playes the pipes?

Lori Wilson-Gaudet

Jun 9, 2001, 5:21:11 PM6/9/01
Why it's heaven of course John........no scrapping about attending games...
No arguing over practicing too much, or the committment being too great.....

I always advise my piping friends.....marry one.........and there are no
problems!
Lori

MrRobotTow

Jun 9, 2001, 7:00:12 PM6/9/01
>> Solo Chanter? Same( it's universal)

Except you wouldn't know, because you dont compete solo, and last I heard you
were not a member of any band.

MrRobotTow

Jun 9, 2001, 7:02:18 PM6/9/01
>One maker that is really impressive is J. Higgins
>I've never seen a really well made reed like the one's
>John is producing. This reed produces a nice solid top hand,
>but they are not as free as the Shepherds.
>
>If you want a nice instant sounding reed, try John Elliot's reeds.

>JBM

Gee, all of which seem to be available through Johns employer Crawley bros.

dave

Jun 9, 2001, 7:55:46 PM6/9/01
Set 1,

Drones: Hughes AB, smooth turned, water buffalo horn mounts and ferrules.
(custom made)
Drone reeds: Wygent synthetic
Chanter: Blackwood, sole-less, Hardie, I think..
Chanter reed: Uh…, yes, it has one.
Bag: Canmore large.

Set 2, (currently being reconditioned)

Drones: Old, (1920’s) AB ¾ size, Ivory and silver, don’t know who made them.
Drone reeds: Hendersons, tuned way sharp. (Drones are flat to full size
pipes)
Chanter: full size, old, AB, Ivory sole, don’t know who made it, I use it as
an alternate for set 1
Chanter reed: homemade from leaves of two old reeds. (Whatever works)
Bag: Hide, but that will change when the set is put back together.

Set 3, Paki’s,

Drones: Firewood.
Drone reeds: Yeah…, right.
Chanter: Firewood. With an aluminum sole.
Chanter reed: Oh, stop it…, you’re killing me.
Bag: Hide. I use it to store all the parts to this set of pipes.

I also have Gibsons, but they are guitars. A ’71 Les Paul, and an old
acoustic.

Tim Sullivan wrote:

> This thread started with a really good question. I'd like to change it a
> bit to see how many pipers have how many sets of pipes. Dealers do *not*
> include the inventory. Personal sets only.
>

> > Whats your set up??
> >
> > Drones?
> > Drone Reeds?
> > Chanter?
> > Chanter Reed?
> > Bag?
> >

> > --
> >
> > Drones? David Booth (Af. Blackwood)
> > Drone Reeds? Sheperd (sythetic)
> > Chanter? WarMac, Poly
> > Chanter Reed? Apps Switching to gilmour
> > Bag? Canmore Large
> >
> > Steve P

Kron

Jun 10, 2001, 1:58:40 AM6/10/01

STEPHEN PANNONE <Dtvs...@prodigy.net> wrote in message

> Whats your set up??

Drones R&G Kilgour

Drone Reeds Rockets

Chanter Kron Medallist

Chanter Reed usually Megarity-Ross. Anything will do.

Bag raincoat material with a hide covering.

> Steve P

Alan Delison

Jun 10, 2001, 3:42:44 AM6/10/01
About having a piper for a wife... try telling her her timing is off in
the 3erd measure of that last tune!! And about her tuning.....
But, on the other hand, I dont mind being behind her in a parade, that
kilt swings so nice.
Somebody to iron my band shirt when she irons hers, and yes we do know
what we wear under our kilts.
Its nice not having to explain why I need that new gadget for my pipes,
I just get two.
Hank
P.S. Sue says to be sure to explain she was the first to start piping.

Shawn Husk

Jun 10, 2001, 7:17:58 PM6/10/01

> >Whats your set up??

Drones? Ian D. Murray, Forfar Scotland, AB 1/2 nickel silver
(ie. slides, ferrules
and mouthpiece), imitation ivory mounts, ring
caps AND hemp stops
Drone Reeds? Narrow bore glass tongued Lee Rockets
Chanter? AB Shepherd Mark II
Chanter Reed? Shepherd, medium/hard
Bag? Ross canister, zipper, extended small

Other pipes I own, used to own or have set up:

Drones? 1890 Hendersons in ebony with blackwood mounts,
nickel ferrules and ivory tops
Drone Reeds? Wide bore glass tongued Lee Rockets
Chanter? AB Naill
Chanter Reed? Megarity-Ross, medium/hard
Bag? Ross canister, zipper, extended small

Drones? 1999 Gibsons, full imitation ivory, AB
Drone Reeds? Ezeedrone tenors, Macey cane bass
Chanter? AB Soutar
Chanter Reed? Soutar, medium
Bag? Sheepskin, Mark Bennett, Medium

Drones? 1920's AB Lawries, full ivory
Drone Reeds? Carbon tongued Lee Rockets
Chanter? AB Naill
Chanter Reed? Gilmour, medium
Bag? Canmore, sealed with tube water trap

Shawn Husk

Jun 10, 2001, 7:21:36 PM6/10/01
Hi Jim, just curious....I've heard several contest with many open pipers and
I've always been impressed with MacDougals. Just out of curiosity, as I know
that "tone" preference is like religious differences...but, do you prefer the
new Krondersons over your MacDougals?

I would assume you do since you're spending who knows what on a set of full
silver! :) I hope to hear you play those some time once you've got them all set
up. I hope to attend the School maybe next year.

Are you doing any competitions ever or do you ever have recitals? If so please
let me know.

Thanks,

Shawn

Jim McGillivray wrote:

> Tim Sullivan wrote:
>
> > This thread started with a really good question. I'd like to change it a
> > bit to see how many pipers have how many sets of pipes. Dealers do *not*
> > include the inventory. Personal sets only.
>

> I'll bite:
>
> 1912 Silver & Ivory Hendersons
> 1906 Silver & Ivory MacDougalls, brass lined
> 1948 Silver & Ivory Sinclairs, made and played by Willie Bryson
>
> I won't include Scottish Smallpipes, Border Pipes, and Northumbrian
> Smallpipes.
>
> Jim McGillivray
>
> MCGILLIVRAY PIPING PARTNERSHIPS
> ~ Select Bagpipes & Accessories ~
> www.piping.on.ca
> 905-726-4003
> pip...@aci.on.ca

Shawn Husk

Jun 10, 2001, 7:32:44 PM6/10/01
The Gannaway's a great bag with good feel, especially the medium. BUT, if
you're a wet blower as I am, you will not get the moisture control you do
from a Sheep. So find out if you're a wet blower or not. I'm so wet I
finally had to give in can the sheep and get a Ross system. And to be
totally honest with the chanter compartment set with about 80 % of it
filled with kitty litter I still get my chanter reed damp after an hour or
so of playing....... That's with fresh litter. So I'm gonna move the thing
over to the last slot and play with the barest minimum of open space
available. It's crazy.....

Shawn

Scot Kortegaard wrote:

> Listen to Chris.............he's right :)
> "EdASmith" <edas...@aol.com> wrote in message
> > >Subject: Whats your set up
> > >
> > >Whats your set up??
> >
> > Drones? OLD Glens (Alexander?)
> > - with a Kron replacement bass turned to match (very well done)
> >
> > Drone Reeds? OLD Henderson cane
> > - worth the effort ... and playing for ages
> >
> > Chanter? c. 1980 Naill ABW (solo)
> > - Naill poly (as blowing-in chanter)
> > - on the shelf ...
> > - 1800's MacDougal of Breadalbane
> > - 1980's WarMac poly
> > - 1990's Shepherd poly
> >
> > Chanter Reed? Caldwell or MegRoss
> >
> > Bag? Bennett ... but Chris H. has almost convinced me to go Gannaway.
> >

> > Edward Smith
> > Burton, Michigan, USA

Jim McGillivray

Jun 10, 2001, 10:05:11 PM6/10/01

Shawn Husk wrote:

> Hi Jim, just curious....I've heard several contest with many open pipers and
> I've always been impressed with MacDougals. Just out of curiosity, as I know
> that "tone" preference is like religious differences...but, do you prefer the
> new Krondersons over your MacDougals?

The MacDougalls are a shade quieter, but equally rich and steady. I haven't really
played them seriously for years. (They're actually my wife's pipes). The tuning
slides are a bit uneven -- unusual for drones with brass inserts -- which is why I
hadn't played them a lot, and I hope to have them touched up a bit shortly. I
haven't really tried them with synthetic reeds, but back when I played cane I
always found the bass hard to reed -- an infamous MacDougall trait. When you got
one to go it was outstanding. I think that's always been another reason for the
popularity of Hendersons over the decades; they were very easy to reed. Of course,
with virtually maintenance-free synthetics now, that playing field has been
levelled.

All this work and talk about pipes in the past few months has me hankering to get
those MacDougalls out again and get them ship-shape. They have the most incredible
silver engraving I have ever seen on any set of pipes anywhere. Absolutely
miraculous in its fine detail. I'll probably have the Kron folk do the work on
them, so when I do that I'll take a shot of the silver. You'll be amazed.

> I hope to hear you play those some time once you've got them all set
> up. I hope to attend the School maybe next year.
>
> Are you doing any competitions ever or do you ever have recitals? If so please
> let me know.

I haven't competed since the Glenfiddich in 1991, and I have no hankering
whatsoever to go back. I never liked competing much. You can hear the Hendersons
on my 1992 Lismor WGP recording, and on my first video, "Pipes Ready." You'll hear
the same drones and the new Kron chanter on "Pipes Up", my tuning video, which
we're finishing up this week. I'm planning on a new album near the end of the year,
so you should hear the new pipes then, as well as various smallpipes. When I have
some time in a month or so I'll get some sound clips up on my website. Recitals are
hit-and-miss -- 8 or 10 a year, usually private affairs or a summer school. I'll be
at Loon Mtn again this year in September, and at the Invermark piping school at
Casteton. My own school starts in two weeks and we'll have two recitals with
myself, Alasdair Gillies, Willie McCallum, Angus MacColl, Bruce Gandy and Rob
Crabtree -- several of whom have been involved in testing the new chanter. These
recitals are being recorded (and were last year) with a hoped-for release this
winter. Geeze, life is busy....

Cheers,
Jim

Bill Tyler

Jun 10, 2001, 11:09:11 PM6/10/01
Hardie pipes/ drones c.1965
Henderson Harmonic reeds
Warmac chanter
McAllister reed
Ross canister bag - with clamp

"STEPHEN PANNONE" <Dtvs...@prodigy.net> wrote in message
> Whats your set up??
>
> Drones?

Ron Bowen

Jun 11, 2001, 6:02:41 PM6/11/01
First of all, I think that this is the greatest thread of all time. From
far and wide and not one nasty comment. Remarkable! Better be careful or
we'll put that "other" music board out of business!

NRP set:

Drones - MacLellan full silver Millennium (African Blackwood)

Reeds - Have played both E-Z-Drone and Wygent DuaTone tenors - Watson
inverted cane bass - tenor reed situation is undecided for this season.

Chanter - agressively carved mid 1970's vintage Sinclair

Chanter reed - Soutar

Bag - Ross Canister

Braemar set

Drones - MacLellan silver & ivory Millennium (Coco bolo)

Reeds - Wygent DuaTone across entire set

Chanter - Dunbar

Bag - Ross Canister

Other sets have been too many to name, from time to time. Some have been
really outstanding. I've found good homes for them all.

Ringo

Who?

Jun 11, 2001, 6:49:55 PM6/11/01

"Ron Bowen" <ron_...@sympatico.ca> wrote in message

> First of all, I think that this is the greatest thread of all time. From
> far and wide and not one nasty comment. Remarkable! Better be careful or
> we'll put that "other" music board out of business!

Even I would behave if we could do that...

Rick

Jun 11, 2001, 8:08:10 PM6/11/01
The longest journey begins with the first step.
(yeah, I know, but you don't want to see my hornpipe composition anyway<g>)

Cheers, aye
off to lessons,
Rick

Who? <vze2...@verizon.net> wrote in message