Billy Idol...cyberpunk?..what the fuck?!

Stephe Lewis Foskett

Jun 18, 1993, 7:05:25 AM6/18/93
>>>>> "coan" == Brian M Coan <co...@griffin.emba.uvm.edu.uvm.edu> writes:
coan> I think I just lost all respect for the magazine Wired. They
coan> just ran a full-page ad for some new cheesy album by Billy Idol
coan> called "Cyberpunk". Jesus, talk about killing a trend. I mean,
coan> if FLA released an album under that name, I could deal, but
coan> Billy fucking Idol? Jesus! He's the embodiment of American
coan> rock-and-roll total crap stupid bullshit. Ug!!

coan> But anyways...has anyone heard this album? Is there *any* merit
coan> to it whatsoever? Oh my God, what if it's good....No way. Not a
coan> chance!

It gets worse... The first single was a dance song called ...
Heroin...

yeah, if that makes you shudder (and if it does, you know why) you
have a right to. It is what you think it is...

But why not email the Cyberpunk Idol himself? he can be reached at:

id...@well.sf.ca.us

Though the reply is automated...

.s.
(how dare you even THINK there could be merit in a Billy Idol album,
let alone one called Cyberpunk...)

(oh, and if even FLA decided to name their album Cyberpunk I'd be the
first to shout about how tacky the name was...)
--
- lan...@wpi.wpi.edu - - so remember, Consolidated!: -
- Because you can't afford not to make the left decision -

Mike J. Brown

Jun 18, 1993, 11:34:56 AM6/18/93
The promo CD5 for "Shock To The System" came in a neat-o foldout digipak
with the press kit on a high density disk for color Macintoshes. In
violation of copyright laws, it might turn up on an FTP site soon :)

Mike
--
Mike Brown
_ _ __ ______________________________________Approach and Identify

Pete Ashdown

Jun 18, 1993, 12:31:01 PM6/18/93
lan...@ramanujan.WPI.EDU (Stephe Lewis Foskett) writes:

>(oh, and if even FLA decided to name their album Cyberpunk I'd be the
>first to shout about how tacky the name was...)

Of course this is all hypothetical, but we do realize here that the fact that
FLA was doing the cyberpunk before the media and Gibson painted the picture
makes them one of the coolest bands on the planet. Leeb wouldn't use the word
"cyberpunk" because he's just too damn great.

Wired's attention to Illy Bidol's album is saddening. Especially since FLA
deserves it more, and Rhys Fulber has more talent in his left nostril than
Midol has expressed in years of work.

How hilarious that Billy's mailbox now has an automated reply. Guess he
wasn't prepared for the amount of cybergunking he'd have to put up with in
order to please his publicity agent. I'd like to see William jump on the net
and defend himself. Unfortunately, this will happen about the same time as
pigs fly. Why? He's a moron.

Virginia A. Reed

Jun 18, 1993, 11:20:29 AM6/18/93
In article <1993Jun18.1...@uvm.edu>
co...@griffin.emba.uvm.edu.uvm.edu (Brian M Coan) writes:

> But anyways...has anyone heard this album? Is there *any* merit to
> it whatsoever? Oh my God, what if it's good....No way. Not a chance!

I saw the first video off of it. Musically, it is far from cyberpunk,
but it's a hell of a lot better than any other Billy Idol. The video
itself looked like a poor attempt at duplicating cyberpunk video by
someone with little or no background. It seemed like he based it on
RoboCop... ugh.
-LX

Clayton R. Ritter

Jun 18, 1993, 1:41:16 PM6/18/93
lan...@ramanujan.WPI.EDU (Stephe Lewis Foskett) writes:

>id...@well.sf.ca.us

Anyone care to place a wager that Billy can't even turn on a keyboard?
Granted Billy Idol has made his mark on the 80's- it should end with that.
Clearly this futile turn to "Cyberpunk" is a desperate attempt to salvage
a career headed for the gutter. Think about it, his motives are to get
noticed and possibly make a few bucks. From The Doors to Cyberpunk...
whats wrong with that picture?
--
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
:: Roth Ritter ::

happy zamboni

Jun 18, 1993, 3:08:43 PM6/18/93
In article <1vsqk5$b...@slack.sim.es.com> pash...@slack.sim.es.com (Pete Ashdown) writes:

>How hilarious that Billy's mailbox now has an automated reply. Guess he
>wasn't prepared for the amount of cybergunking he'd have to put up with in
>order to please his publicity agent. I'd like to see William jump on the net
>and defend himself. Unfortunately, this will happen about the same time as
>pigs fly. Why? He's a moron.
Don't give the man more credit than he deserves. I _believe_ (although I may
be wrong), that his mailbox started as an automatic press-release distributor,
and has never changed. It was, from everyone I have talked to, since his
(at least that particular mail address) first "public" release of a mail
address.
Hell, even Adam Curry took the time to answer my mail.
-Eric

Max Ross Brenner

Jun 18, 1993, 2:09:21 PM6/18/93
The title of this thread exemplifies my reaction to seeing the little text
on the side of the screen when "Shock to the System" was aired on Mtv. Why the
fuck does Billy Idol think he has a right to call his album "Cyberpunk"
when he probably doesn't have a fucking clue as to what cyberspace is. I
felt like puking when I saw the video. It was like George Holliday meets
Superman III. And the cops' (or whatever they were) outfits were right out of
the movie Freejack.

The only thing Billy Idol is good for is a good laugh (just play his LA
Woman cover). He's bastardizing our movement (as if it wasn't being
commercialized enough) for record sales.

--
Max Ross Brenner | KING: Now, Hamlet, where's Polonius?
max...@telerama.pgh.pa.us | HAMLET: At supper. (IV,iii)

Sid

Jun 18, 1993, 3:48:04 PM6/18/93
zam...@ap.cl.msu.edu (happy zamboni) writes:
>pash...@slack.sim.es.com (Pete Ashdown) writes:
>
>>How hilarious that Billy's mailbox now has an automated reply. Guess he
>>wasn't prepared for the amount of cybergunking he'd have to put up with in
>>order to please his publicity agent.

>Don't give the man more credit than he deserves. I _believe_ (although I may

>be wrong), that his mailbox started as an automatic press-release distributor,
>and has never changed.

Umm wrong. I got the press kit before the stores and shit did (through
the radio station) and I never got a reply when I wrote him over a month
ago. The response is not automated though. Someone is answering his
mail for him now since we have been mailing Billy from the punk list for
3 weeks now and never got the same reply twice and all seem to vaguely
answer our questions.

--
+------------+---------------------------------------------------+
| Sid | SSo...@silver.ucs.indiana.edu |

Carl Christensen

Jun 18, 1993, 7:34:36 PM6/18/93
Clayton R. Ritter (art...@gsusgi2.gsu.edu) wrote:
: lan...@ramanujan.WPI.EDU (Stephe Lewis Foskett) writes:
: Anyone care to place a wager that Billy can't even turn on a keyboard?

: Granted Billy Idol has made his mark on the 80's- it should end with that.

No way, I saw the great MTV interviewer talking with him, and they
showed him at a real Mac. I witnessed him clicking on an icon!
Now that icon could have triggered a total breakthrough of
AT&T, CIA, or FBI communication services for all you know! :-)

Actually, I haven't liked Billy Idol since Generation X folded,
but that's going back a few years.

--
Carl Christensen /~~\_/~\ ,,, Dept. of Computer Science
chri...@astro.ocis.temple.edu | #=#==========# | Temple University

Bob Nekic

Jun 19, 1993, 12:52:00 AM6/19/93

In a previous article, co...@griffin.emba.uvm.edu.uvm.edu (Brian M Coan) says:

>But anyways...has anyone heard this album? Is there *any* merit to
>it whatsoever? Oh my God, what if it's good....No way. Not a chance!

Now, I hate to go against the majority feeling here, but believe me when
I first say I understand what you're saying/implying about Billy Idol.
I -never- in any way considered myself a fan even in the remote sense,
especially after his last album.

BUT....I've had a pre-release copy of the cassette for atleast a month
now (thanks to a great promotional guy at the local CEMA Dist. branch)
and I must confess that the album is one of my current favorites.
Cyberpunk? maybe, maybe not...depends on how critical you are, but
whatever you call it, it's truly a fabulous bunch of tracks.
It's not exactly packed full of astounding messages and deep meaning or
anything exceptionally controversial, but it -is- full of a lot of
high-volume great stuff. I think it's very well produced...the studio
did a pretty good job- voice samples, etc all come together well.
Some of it has some techno-ish influence to it..

I hate to throw water on the Billy Idol burning here, but...
He openly admitted in Billboard magazine a few weeks back that before
this album he didn't not squat about computers of any kind and he knows
he has very little clue still, but he -does- seem to understand the vast
amounts of information, etc..that can/is available over the net.
Gotta give him credit for making an effort atleast. The guy's never
come off as a brilliant person...

anyway, the album is out June 29th and it really is a step up from the
hard-rock drivel he's been spewing lately.

--
--------] Bob Nekic (aa561) {aa...@cleveland.freenet.edu} [------------
"It's not my fault at all I can't get along

Nathaniel D. Daw

Jun 19, 1993, 2:52:14 AM6/19/93
>>But why not email the Cyberpunk Idol himself? he can be reached at:
>
>>id...@well.sf.ca.us
>
>>Though the reply is automated...
>

>Anyone care to place a wager that Billy can't even turn on a keyboard?

Funny you should mention that -- they featured him in an "MTV News" spot,
replying to his e-mail. He typed about four words a minute with two fingers,
the message "Smile. Your (sic) on MTV"...
what a moron.
nd

Christian Bartholdsson

Jun 19, 1993, 4:15:49 PM6/19/93
zam...@ap.cl.msu.edu (happy zamboni) writes:

>Don't give the man more credit than he deserves. I _believe_ (although I may
>be wrong), that his mailbox started as an automatic press-release distributor,
>and has never changed. It was, from everyone I have talked to, since his
>(at least that particular mail address) first "public" release of a mail
>address.

I had a fairly intelligent conversation with Billy via email 5-6 weeks ago
and it's pretty clear that he doesn't know much at all about cyberspace and
absolute zilch about the technology. No big surprise there (he did indeed
complain about the keyboard being difficult to work). The reason why the
reply is now automated may be that he's on a promotional tour in Europe right
now (just saw him on MTV the other day).

- ch...@minsk.docs.uu.se

happy zamboni

Jun 19, 1993, 5:45:16 PM6/19/93
In article <chris.740520949@Minsk> ch...@Minsk.docs.uu.se (Christian Bartholdsson ) writes:
>zam...@ap.cl.msu.edu (happy zamboni) writes:

[Un-informed flame about idol@well being just a press release mail script
deleted]

>I had a fairly intelligent conversation with Billy via email 5-6 weeks ago
>and it's pretty clear that he doesn't know much at all about cyberspace and
>absolute zilch about the technology. No big surprise there (he did indeed
>complain about the keyboard being difficult to work). The reason why the
>reply is now automated may be that he's on a promotional tour in Europe right
>now (just saw him on MTV the other day).
>
>- ch...@minsk.docs.uu.se
Apparently I was wrong, or at least mis-informed, and apologize for shooting
my mouth off. Thanks for correcting me.
-Eric

FRESHLY OPEN GRAVE

Jun 19, 1993, 5:49:08 PM6/19/93
In article <chris.740520949@Minsk> ch...@Minsk.docs.uu.se (Christian Bartholdsson ) writes:

>I had a fairly intelligent conversation with Billy via email 5-6 weeks ago
>and it's pretty clear that he doesn't know much at all about cyberspace and
>absolute zilch about the technology. No big surprise there (he did indeed
>complain about the keyboard being difficult to work). The reason why the
>reply is now automated may be that he's on a promotional tour in Europe right
>now (just saw him on MTV the other day).

I did as well, so it hasn't always been automated. I guess I wouldn't
call it intelligent either. I just sent him scary (in an odd, not
threatening manner) messages and he replied a few times trying to sound like
he had a clue and was taking it all in stride. he finally got sick of my
non-sensical letters (sometimes I even composed them in the "cut up" fashion
using magazines, newspapers, etc..) and stopped replying. I highly
recommend everyone doing it once he gets back to his account. Lets confuse\
bug the hell out of the fucker for the can of worms he opened.

Kennen Sie eine Merle? Kennen Sie eine Merle? Das ist gut...zu gut.

Robert Williams<*>MANNA-MACHINE<*>Minneapolis noise
will...@mr.net OR will...@manna-machine.com

gerade sie..sie ist mein Opfer. Schad um sie....
sie wird's..ach, nicht lange durchhalten....

Paul Michael Lewis

Jun 19, 1993, 6:44:00 PM6/19/93
>I think I just lost all respect for the magazine Wired. They just
>ran a full-page ad for some new cheesy album by Billy Idol called
>"Cyberpunk". Jesus, talk about killing a trend. I mean, if FLA
>released an album under that name, I could deal, but Billy fucking
>Idol? Jesus! He's the embodiment of American rock-and-roll total crap
>stupid bullshit. Ug!!

Aren't you just as stupid for buying into the moronic 'cyberpunk' scene? What
a ridiculous label.

Idiot 1: "Man, cool electronic sounds!"

Idiot 2: "Whattya think? Do you think it's cyberpunk?"

Idiot 1: "I dunno... yeah, maybe."

Idiot 2: "OK, cool, I like it."

--

+-| Paul Lewis | People's Temple, Jonestown: WLVR 91.3fm Mon. 11pm-1am |-+
| 'We do it because we are compelled.' -Kovacs (Moore)| |

Lorne Naff

Jun 19, 1993, 5:56:06 PM6/19/93
max...@telerama.pgh.pa.us (Max Ross Brenner) writes:

> The title of this thread exemplifies my reaction to seeing the little text
> on the side of the screen when "Shock to the System" was aired on Mtv. Why th

> fuck does Billy Idol think he has a right to call his album "Cyberpunk"
> when he probably doesn't have a fucking clue as to what cyberspace is. I
> felt like puking when I saw the video. It was like George Holliday meets
> Superman III. And the cops' (or whatever they were) outfits were right out of
> the movie Freejack.
> The only thing Billy Idol is good for is a good laugh (just play his LA
> Woman cover). He's bastardizing our movement (as if it wasn't being
> commercialized enough) for record sales.
> --
> Max Ross Brenner | KING: Now, Hamlet, where's Polonius?
> max...@telerama.pgh.pa.us | HAMLET: At supper. (IV,iii)

Hmmm... I actually kinda liked the song, I thought it was pretty well
written. The allusions to `king' were nicely done. The video was a
complete washout, though. Pure Billy Idoletry, his face is just to
adolescent for TV, especially when singing. He looked dumb. ( Yes, I
though of Freejack, too...)

On the subject of Mr. Idol's Cyberpunquishness, who the fuck cares?
If somebody wants to call themselves Cyberpunks, so be it! Did we
suddenly become a clique while I had my back turned? Do you have to have
a membership card to be a CP? I thought the originall purpose of all
this was so that we could learn how to controll the technology of the
next 20-50 years, so that we would run it, and not vice-versa. I didn' k
now there was a complementary game of _Cooler than Thou_. Get real
folks! I hate to say it, but even after the woeful Time magazine
article, most of the world doesn't know Jack Shit from Cyberpunk, and
probably won't for quite awhile. Don't worry about it. We're all still
here, and if the shit does hit the fan and 20,000,000,000 teeny-boppers
hit the net, we'll all find somewhere else to meet. We always have, and
we always will. If billy wants to come and play ( and make money),
let him, the street's big enough for us all!

Don't Warlord on Me! Mer...@unkaphead.jpunix.com Buy Cyberpunk!

Clayton R. Ritter

Jun 19, 1993, 10:42:44 PM6/19/93
mer...@unkaphaed.jpunix.com (Lorne Naff) writes:

> Hmmm... I actually kinda liked the song, I thought it was pretty well
>written. The allusions to `king' were nicely done. The video was a
>complete washout, though. Pure Billy Idoletry, his face is just to
>adolescent for TV, especially when singing. He looked dumb. ( Yes, I
>though of Freejack, too...)

> On the subject of Mr. Idol's Cyberpunquishness, who the fuck cares?
>If somebody wants to call themselves Cyberpunks, so be it! Did we
>suddenly become a clique while I had my back turned? Do you have to have
>a membership card to be a CP? I thought the originall purpose of all
>this was so that we could learn how to controll the technology of the
>next 20-50 years, so that we would run it, and not vice-versa. I didn' k
>now there was a complementary game of _Cooler than Thou_. Get real
>folks! I hate to say it, but even after the woeful Time magazine
>article, most of the world doesn't know Jack Shit from Cyberpunk, and
>probably won't for quite awhile. Don't worry about it. We're all still
>here, and if the shit does hit the fan and 20,000,000,000 teeny-boppers
>hit the net, we'll all find somewhere else to meet. We always have, and
>we always will. If billy wants to come and play ( and make money),
>let him, the street's big enough for us all!

> Don't Warlord on Me! Mer...@unkaphead.jpunix.com Buy Cyberpunk!

No, no no... Your blowing this whole issue out of focus here.. No one is
saying that it's wrong for him to want to be a 'cyberpunk', this
discussion is about the fact that he is taking this subculture and
parading around like he had something to do with it when he doesn't even
understand the scope of it- we're simply commenting on that event because
we know the real truth while 20,000,000,000 teeny-boppers will praise him
for the falacy he is. THAT is the exploitation and THAT is what we're
talking about. So what if the songs are well written- he's
got millions of bux to pay some hack who can turn on a keyboard to
write them! Most of the world doesn't know jack shit about cyberpunk? No
shit! That's not a problem- the people who don't know what it is don't
matter anyway...it has nothing to do with them since 'cyberpunk'
thrives on what they lack- usage and experience with technology (in all
facets)as a part of everyday life, and the understanding of our technology and
what can be done with it (even if we don't have the resources to do it yet)
...hence Billy Idol.

Dave Garner

Jun 20, 1993, 1:17:46 PM6/20/93
co...@griffin.emba.uvm.edu.uvm.edu (Brian M Coan) writes:

>I think I just lost all respect for the magazine Wired. They just
>ran a full-page ad for some new cheesy album by Billy Idol called
>"Cyberpunk". Jesus, talk about killing a trend. I mean, if FLA
>released an album under that name, I could deal, but Billy fucking
>Idol? Jesus! He's the embodiment of American rock-and-roll total crap
>stupid bullshit. Ug!!

>But anyways...has anyone heard this album? Is there *any* merit to

>it whatsoever? Oh my God, what if it's good....No way. Not a chance!

Ah, you were obviously missing during the pointlessly heated debate over this,
and also Billy's net adress, where you can get the hype ON LINE (yay) and also
leave your words of praise for him 8-) . Be aware that all who say "This is
cyberpunk/that's not cyberpunk" must be regarded (in varing degrees) with
suspicion. He's more cyberpunk than Dolly Parton, or Rick Price, or even Frank
Sinatra.... makes ya think, don' it?
--

Thank you for reading this message.

Politenessman.

Cameron Edwards

Jun 19, 1993, 7:00:30 PM6/19/93
co...@griffin.emba.uvm.edu.uvm.edu (Brian M Coan) writes:

> I think I just lost all respect for the magazine Wired. They just
> ran a full-page ad for some new cheesy album by Billy Idol called
> "Cyberpunk". Jesus, talk about killing a trend. I mean, if FLA
> released an album under that name, I could deal, but Billy fucking
> Idol? Jesus! He's the embodiment of American rock-and-roll total crap
> stupid bullshit. Ug!!
>
> But anyways...has anyone heard this album? Is there *any* merit to
> it whatsoever? Oh my God, what if it's good....No way. Not a chance!
>

> ----- -----
> Brian MacLeod Coan
> co...@emba.uvm.edu
> ---- -----

I heard the reason he called it 'cyberpunk' was due to the fact he
recorded it all with a macintosh and some other crap. It's really
fuckin' stupid, I saw the video 'Shock To the System' the other day and
almost died laffing, it was such a joke

Paul Michael Lewis

Jun 20, 1993, 11:38:20 AM6/20/93
>The title of this thread exemplifies my reaction to seeing the little text
>on the side of the screen when "Shock to the System" was aired on Mtv. Why the

>fuck does Billy Idol think he has a right to call his album "Cyberpunk"
>when he probably doesn't have a fucking clue as to what cyberspace is.

Cyberspace!!! Hahahahaha.

Who knows and who cares what the fuck that is. You sound like that stupid
Time article.

>The only thing Billy Idol is good for is a good laugh (just play his LA
>Woman cover). He's bastardizing our movement (as if it wasn't being
>commercialized enough) for record sales.

Our MOVEMENT?!?!? Oh man, you need a Valium.

Ralph Barbagallo

Jun 20, 1993, 9:36:10 AM6/20/93
Brian M Coan (co...@griffin.emba.uvm.edu.uvm.edu) wrote:
:
: I think I just lost all respect for the magazine Wired. They just
: ran a full-page ad for some new cheesy album by Billy Idol called
: "Cyberpunk". Jesus, talk about killing a trend. I mean, if FLA
: released an album under that name, I could deal, but Billy fucking
: Idol? Jesus! He's the embodiment of American rock-and-roll total crap
: stupid bullshit. Ug!!
:
: But anyways...has anyone heard this album? Is there *any* merit to
: it whatsoever? Oh my God, what if it's good....No way. Not a chance!

Billy is a goof..but hey, if he paid for the ad.. Wired will put it
in... it's all about the cash flow.

I saw his first video.. Shock to the System.. really cheesy.. I didn't
see it from the beginning but I think he videotapes some police violence (all
set in some sort of dark future L.A.) of cops beating down people in a crowd..
so they smash his camera and all the parts of the camera fall on him. Then
the camera parts dig into his skin and he turns into this cyborg thing... yippe.
Ralph A. Barbagallo III /Atari 2600,7800,Lynx,NES,GameBoy,SNES,Master System,
nug...@genesis.nred.ma.us/Genesis,Game Gear,NEO-GEO,Odyssey500,Vectrex,TurboCD,
Mindstorm WILL RETURN! /TurboGrafx-16,Commodore64,Amiga500,Atari800XL...!

Broward Horne

Jun 20, 1993, 8:40:11 PM6/20/93

In a previous article, art...@gsusgi2.gsu.edu (Clayton R. Ritter) says:

>No, no no... Your blowing this whole issue out of focus here.. No one is
>saying that it's wrong for him to want to be a 'cyberpunk', this
>discussion is about the fact that he is taking this subculture and
>parading around like he had something to do with it when he doesn't even
>understand the scope of it- we're simply commenting on that event because

He doesn't need to.

In truth, I don't think *you* understand the scope.
It isn't about defying authority, or knowing secret
passwords. It's about a complete re-organization of
culture. It's about unfathomable and unstoppable
change.

Idol's Video:

It captures the truth. Art doesn't have to understand.
I was surprised to see Idol capture the ideas in symbolism
that, most likely, he doesn't understand himself.

For a real grasp of Art subconciously absorbing the cyberspace
change, I'd recommend a serious listen to the soundtrack
from "Toys". The more I listen to it, the more incredible
it is. To have written things in, to have subconciously
incorporated ideas, it's strange that Thomas Dolby might
not even understand his own music.

For a true grasp of Change, I highly recommend

" The Great Reckoning " by Davidson & Rees-Mogg.

And keep your eyes on the dollar.

Clayton R. Ritter

Jun 20, 1993, 9:57:32 PM6/20/93
an...@cleveland.Freenet.Edu (Broward Horne) writes:

> He doesn't need to.

> In truth, I don't think *you* understand the scope.
> It isn't about defying authority, or knowing secret
> passwords. It's about a complete re-organization of
> culture. It's about unfathomable and unstoppable
> change.

Have you NOT been following this whole discussion?! Thats is EXACTLY what
I've BEEN saying...

Carl Christensen

Jun 20, 1993, 9:33:24 PM6/20/93
Cameron Edwards (muds...@hakatac.almanac.bc.ca) wrote:
: co...@griffin.emba.uvm.edu.uvm.edu (Brian M Coan) writes:
: I heard the reason he called it 'cyberpunk' was due to the fact he
: recorded it all with a macintosh and some other crap. It's really
: fuckin' stupid, I saw the video 'Shock To the System' the other day and
: almost died laffing, it was such a joke

That's funny, like how many albums (oops, CD's) by now have been
recorded by computer or with the help of a computer? Public Enemy
(the rap group) had a line "so I sit back and slap the Mac" years
ago, but I guess rap groups just aren't taken seriously.
Sheesh, it's not like he's the first to record music via computer.

z_al...@ccsvax.sfasu.edu

Jun 21, 1993, 12:38:31 AM6/21/93

z_al...@ccsvax.sfasu.edu

Jun 21, 1993, 12:39:12 AM6/21/93

z_al...@ccsvax.sfasu.edu

Jun 21, 1993, 12:39:32 AM6/21/93

z_al...@ccsvax.sfasu.edu

Jun 21, 1993, 12:41:22 AM6/21/93

Mike Tancsa

Jun 21, 1993, 2:10:59 AM6/21/93
Are you a card carrying member ? :-)

Really, though you got to hand it to Idol, or whoever thought up the
idea of doing a "cyberpunk" album, and make it well known that he has
an e-mail address. Cyberspace and having an email address (especially)
internet is becoming the currency for "coolness". I can just see the
latest hipsters trying to pick each other up in a bar... "Ah.. Yea
babe.. here is my email address... mail me sometime" When trendites
get tired of reliving the 60s, the net will be the next fad they turn
to.... Not to say the net is a fad, but it will become (already has
I guess) a fad to be on it...

---Mike

MDTA...@WATARTS.UWATERLOO.CA

Greg Earle

Jun 20, 1993, 8:10:10 PM6/20/93
In article <Williams.6...@manna-machine.com> Will...@manna-machine.com (FRESHLY OPEN GRAVE) writes:
>In article <chris.740520949@Minsk> ch...@Minsk.docs.uu.se (Christian Bartholdsson ) writes:
>>I had a fairly intelligent conversation with Billy via email 5-6 weeks ago
>>and it's pretty clear that he doesn't know much at all about cyberspace and
>>absolute zilch about the technology. No big surprise there (he did indeed
>>complain about the keyboard being difficult to work). The reason why the
>>reply is now automated may be that he's on a promotional tour in Europe right
>>now (just saw him on MTV the other day).
>
> I did as well, so it hasn't always been automated. I guess I wouldn't
>call it intelligent either. I just sent him scary (in an odd, not
>threatening manner) messages and he replied a few times trying to sound like
>he had a clue and was taking it all in stride. He finally got sick of my
>non-sensical letters (sometimes I even composed them in the "cut up" fashion
>using magazines, newspapers, etc..) and stopped replying. I highly
>recommend everyone doing it once he gets back to his account. Let's confuse/

>bug the hell out of the fucker for the can of worms he opened.

And to think people have asked me about getting Ogre on the net? Sheesh.

Reason #1 to not pursue this is quoted right above. Don't you think people
like these have enough tweakers to deal with in Real Life without getting
bombarded with puerile e-mails from Cyberspace?

(There are some far more pragmatic reasons, of course; for one, the only person
in Skinny Puppy who'd be even close to Cyberpunk is Dwayne Goettel; I tried to
get him to hook his Mac IIci up to Vancouver's MINDLINK! folks, but I doubt
that anything will ever happen - as Rave likes to say, "Dwayne! You're no
fucking Cyberpunk, you don't even own a modem!!!". For another, Ogre can't
even manipulate a guitar or a keyboard - he owns a Kurzweil K2000 and didn't
even realize that the "8 Megs" inside were all ROM, and he had no RAM - but
he doesn't own a computer either. Not that he'd know how to work it anyway.)

I abhor Billy Idiot as much as the next guy, but I certainly wouldn't waste
my time (nor his) sending stupid non-sensical e-mails to his account. Grow up.

By the way, I posted this before, but I'll repeat it: after seeing Sheep On
Drugs at the Troubadour here in L.A., the Troub bar contained a table whose
occupants included: Mondo 2000's R. U. Sirius, Devo's Mark Mothersbaugh and his
wife, Dr. Timothy Leary, and (seated next to Leary) ... Billy Idol.

--
- Greg Earle
Phone: (818) 353-8695 FAX: (818) 353-1877

Andrew Rawling

Jun 21, 1993, 3:13:37 AM6/21/93
In article <C8tpA...@dartvax.dartmouth.edu> Virgini...@dartmouth.edu (Virginia A. Reed) writes:
>In article <1993Jun18.1...@uvm.edu>

>co...@griffin.emba.uvm.edu.uvm.edu (Brian M Coan) writes:
>
>> But anyways...has anyone heard this album? Is there *any* merit to
>> it whatsoever? Oh my God, what if it's good....No way. Not a chance!
>
>I saw the first video off of it. Musically, it is far from cyberpunk,
>but it's a hell of a lot better than any other Billy Idol. The video
>itself looked like a poor attempt at duplicating cyberpunk video by
>someone with little or no background. It seemed like he based it on
>RoboCop... ugh.
>-LX

If this is the one I saw over the weekend, then the only film in mr idol's
cyberpunk video cabinet is Tetsuo I.

-andy.

Mike J. Brown

Jun 21, 1993, 7:50:48 AM6/21/93
Hey, let's keep quoting the same articles over and over, shall we?
Sheesh.
--
Mike Brown
_ _ __ ______________________________________Approach and Identify

Michael Jarvis

Jun 18, 1993, 8:58:55 PM6/18/93
Brian M Coan (co...@griffin.emba.uvm.edu.uvm.edu) wrote:
: I think I just lost all respect for the magazine Wired. They just
: ran a full-page ad for some new cheesy album by Billy Idol called
: "Cyberpunk". Jesus, talk about killing a trend. I mean, if FLA
: released an album under that name, I could deal, but Billy fucking
: Idol? Jesus! He's the embodiment of American rock-and-roll total crap
: stupid bullshit. Ug!!

Not only that, but in the advertisement for the album in "Rolling Stone"
they give an address for him:

"Contact Billy in CYBERSPACE: id...@well.sf.ca.us"
"Outlaw tech. Rebel science. Information is the ammunition, your mind
is the target. Hack the system. CYBERPUNK."

Makes me want to puke.
michael
--
* Michael A. Jarvis | Internet: mja...@okcforum.osrhe.edu
* Oklahoma City, OK | mja...@nyx.cs.du.edu

Niko Mikkanen

Jun 20, 1993, 5:37:25 PM6/20/93
co...@griffin.emba.uvm.edu.uvm.edu (Brian M Coan) writes:

> I think I just lost all respect for the magazine Wired. They just
> ran a full-page ad for some new cheesy album by Billy Idol called
> "Cyberpunk". Jesus, talk about killing a trend. I mean, if FLA
> released an album under that name, I could deal, but Billy fucking
> Idol? Jesus! He's the embodiment of American rock-and-roll total crap
> stupid bullshit. Ug!!
>

> But anyways...has anyone heard this album? Is there *any* merit to
> it whatsoever? Oh my God, what if it's good....No way. Not a chance!
>

> ----- -----
> Brian MacLeod Coan
> co...@emba.uvm.edu
> ---- -----

I just saw the "multimedia information package" or somesuch released
with the record. It's a disc for Mac with 1,3 Megs of BULLSHIT on it. It
has a nifty little program that lists the words of the songs, the people
who produced it etc. etc. It has an "Art Section" with Billy Idols
pictures bouncing around and over each other (like the cards in Windows
Solitaire when you play it through...), and loads and loads of purest
shit since China White...
The only good thing about the program is the fact that it tells people
about the excistence of the Net, and urges people to try it out (well,
_I_ think it's a good idea), as well as list different source of information
available. Like magazines both in the Net and on paper (yes, BOINg BOINg
and Mondo 2000 are there too...).
The part I did NOT like about it was the fact that the description of
Cyberpunk was the text-book descr of CP, ie., bad corps own the world,
pollution has eaten away the nature, people live in cities, there's the
Matrixx, "Information should be free", cybernetics, etc. ad infinitum...
Loads of BS, out of the 1,3 Megs, the (about) 10K of info about the Net
and different magazines was the only good part...And that was 10K only
because it had graphics in it...
The guy who showed it to me was extatic about it; "Yeah, well, it's
multi-media and hypertext and WOW! It's so great someone does this..." He
didn't have a clue...
The only interesting part about all this is the fact that apparently
Billy-Boy has been interested in the CP genre for _several_ years,
apparently from almost the start... (coincidence that he should bring the
fact out now :-))

I was propably crying
while I wrote the above.

It's not your fault

-nor your gain-,
my spirits just are low.
It's propably got
something to do
with the world around
getting through

Jeff Smith

Jun 21, 1993, 11:14:52 AM6/21/93
In article <1vsqk5$b...@slack.sim.es.com>, pash...@slack.sim.es.com (Pete Ashdown) writes:
|> lan...@ramanujan.WPI.EDU (Stephe Lewis Foskett) writes:
|>
|> >(oh, and if even FLA decided to name their album Cyberpunk I'd be the
|> >first to shout about how tacky the name was...)
|>
|> Of course this is all hypothetical, but we do realize here that the fact that
|> FLA was doing the cyberpunk before the media and Gibson painted the picture
^^^^^^

Are you sure about this? When did FLA release it's first disc?

jds

Guru Aleph_Null

Jun 21, 1993, 1:13:51 PM6/21/93
mdta...@watarts.uwaterloo.ca (Mike Tancsa) writes:

>Really, though you got to hand it to Idol, or whoever thought up the
>idea of doing a "cyberpunk" album, and make it well known that he has
>an e-mail address. Cyberspace and having an email address (especially)
>internet is becoming the currency for "coolness". I can just see the
>latest hipsters trying to pick each other up in a bar... "Ah.. Yea
>babe.. here is my email address... mail me sometime" When trendites
>get tired of reliving the 60s, the net will be the next fad they turn
>to.... Not to say the net is a fad, but it will become (already has
>I guess) a fad to be on it...

Lets make it known that you're not a true user of the Net unless you get
your fingers dirty and post meaningful messages on it. Anyone who just
gets an email address will be considered a wanna-be netter until they do
something on the net.

So get out your eletric cattle prods and get these wanna be netters
posting on