Billy Idol...cyberpunk?..what the fuck?!

Stephe Lewis Foskett

Jun 18, 1993, 7:05:25 AM6/18/93
>>>>> "coan" == Brian M Coan <co...@griffin.emba.uvm.edu.uvm.edu> writes:
coan> I think I just lost all respect for the magazine Wired. They
coan> just ran a full-page ad for some new cheesy album by Billy Idol
coan> called "Cyberpunk". Jesus, talk about killing a trend. I mean,
coan> if FLA released an album under that name, I could deal, but
coan> Billy fucking Idol? Jesus! He's the embodiment of American
coan> rock-and-roll total crap stupid bullshit. Ug!!

coan> But anyways...has anyone heard this album? Is there *any* merit
coan> to it whatsoever? Oh my God, what if it's good....No way. Not a
coan> chance!

It gets worse... The first single was a dance song called ...
Heroin...

yeah, if that makes you shudder (and if it does, you know why) you
have a right to. It is what you think it is...

But why not email the Cyberpunk Idol himself? he can be reached at:

id...@well.sf.ca.us

Though the reply is automated...

.s.
(how dare you even THINK there could be merit in a Billy Idol album,
let alone one called Cyberpunk...)

(oh, and if even FLA decided to name their album Cyberpunk I'd be the
first to shout about how tacky the name was...)
--
- lan...@wpi.wpi.edu - - so remember, Consolidated!: -
- Because you can't afford not to make the left decision -

Mike J. Brown

Jun 18, 1993, 11:34:56 AM6/18/93
The promo CD5 for "Shock To The System" came in a neat-o foldout digipak
with the press kit on a high density disk for color Macintoshes. In
violation of copyright laws, it might turn up on an FTP site soon :)

Mike
--
Mike Brown
_ _ __ ______________________________________Approach and Identify

Pete Ashdown

Jun 18, 1993, 12:31:01 PM6/18/93
lan...@ramanujan.WPI.EDU (Stephe Lewis Foskett) writes:

>(oh, and if even FLA decided to name their album Cyberpunk I'd be the
>first to shout about how tacky the name was...)

Of course this is all hypothetical, but we do realize here that the fact that
FLA was doing the cyberpunk before the media and Gibson painted the picture
makes them one of the coolest bands on the planet. Leeb wouldn't use the word
"cyberpunk" because he's just too damn great.

Wired's attention to Illy Bidol's album is saddening. Especially since FLA
deserves it more, and Rhys Fulber has more talent in his left nostril than
Midol has expressed in years of work.

How hilarious that Billy's mailbox now has an automated reply. Guess he
wasn't prepared for the amount of cybergunking he'd have to put up with in
order to please his publicity agent. I'd like to see William jump on the net
and defend himself. Unfortunately, this will happen about the same time as
pigs fly. Why? He's a moron.

Virginia A. Reed

Jun 18, 1993, 11:20:29 AM6/18/93
In article <1993Jun18.1...@uvm.edu>
co...@griffin.emba.uvm.edu.uvm.edu (Brian M Coan) writes:

> But anyways...has anyone heard this album? Is there *any* merit to
> it whatsoever? Oh my God, what if it's good....No way. Not a chance!

I saw the first video off of it. Musically, it is far from cyberpunk,
but it's a hell of a lot better than any other Billy Idol. The video
itself looked like a poor attempt at duplicating cyberpunk video by
someone with little or no background. It seemed like he based it on
RoboCop... ugh.
-LX

Clayton R. Ritter

Jun 18, 1993, 1:41:16 PM6/18/93
lan...@ramanujan.WPI.EDU (Stephe Lewis Foskett) writes:

>id...@well.sf.ca.us

Anyone care to place a wager that Billy can't even turn on a keyboard?
Granted Billy Idol has made his mark on the 80's- it should end with that.
Clearly this futile turn to "Cyberpunk" is a desperate attempt to salvage
a career headed for the gutter. Think about it, his motives are to get
noticed and possibly make a few bucks. From The Doors to Cyberpunk...
whats wrong with that picture?
--
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
:: Roth Ritter ::

happy zamboni

Jun 18, 1993, 3:08:43 PM6/18/93
In article <1vsqk5$b...@slack.sim.es.com> pash...@slack.sim.es.com (Pete Ashdown) writes:

>How hilarious that Billy's mailbox now has an automated reply. Guess he
>wasn't prepared for the amount of cybergunking he'd have to put up with in
>order to please his publicity agent. I'd like to see William jump on the net
>and defend himself. Unfortunately, this will happen about the same time as
>pigs fly. Why? He's a moron.
Don't give the man more credit than he deserves. I _believe_ (although I may
be wrong), that his mailbox started as an automatic press-release distributor,
and has never changed. It was, from everyone I have talked to, since his
(at least that particular mail address) first "public" release of a mail
address.
Hell, even Adam Curry took the time to answer my mail.
-Eric

Max Ross Brenner

Jun 18, 1993, 2:09:21 PM6/18/93
The title of this thread exemplifies my reaction to seeing the little text
on the side of the screen when "Shock to the System" was aired on Mtv. Why the
fuck does Billy Idol think he has a right to call his album "Cyberpunk"
when he probably doesn't have a fucking clue as to what cyberspace is. I
felt like puking when I saw the video. It was like George Holliday meets
Superman III. And the cops' (or whatever they were) outfits were right out of
the movie Freejack.

The only thing Billy Idol is good for is a good laugh (just play his LA
Woman cover). He's bastardizing our movement (as if it wasn't being
commercialized enough) for record sales.

--
Max Ross Brenner | KING: Now, Hamlet, where's Polonius?
max...@telerama.pgh.pa.us | HAMLET: At supper. (IV,iii)

Sid

Jun 18, 1993, 3:48:04 PM6/18/93
zam...@ap.cl.msu.edu (happy zamboni) writes:
>pash...@slack.sim.es.com (Pete Ashdown) writes:
>
>>How hilarious that Billy's mailbox now has an automated reply. Guess he
>>wasn't prepared for the amount of cybergunking he'd have to put up with in
>>order to please his publicity agent.

>Don't give the man more credit than he deserves. I _believe_ (although I may

>be wrong), that his mailbox started as an automatic press-release distributor,
>and has never changed.

Umm wrong. I got the press kit before the stores and shit did (through
the radio station) and I never got a reply when I wrote him over a month
ago. The response is not automated though. Someone is answering his
mail for him now since we have been mailing Billy from the punk list for
3 weeks now and never got the same reply twice and all seem to vaguely
answer our questions.

--
+------------+---------------------------------------------------+
| Sid | SSo...@silver.ucs.indiana.edu |

Carl Christensen

Jun 18, 1993, 7:34:36 PM6/18/93
Clayton R. Ritter (art...@gsusgi2.gsu.edu) wrote:
: lan...@ramanujan.WPI.EDU (Stephe Lewis Foskett) writes:
: Anyone care to place a wager that Billy can't even turn on a keyboard?

: Granted Billy Idol has made his mark on the 80's- it should end with that.

No way, I saw the great MTV interviewer talking with him, and they
showed him at a real Mac. I witnessed him clicking on an icon!
Now that icon could have triggered a total breakthrough of
AT&T, CIA, or FBI communication services for all you know! :-)

Actually, I haven't liked Billy Idol since Generation X folded,
but that's going back a few years.

--
Carl Christensen /~~\_/~\ ,,, Dept. of Computer Science
chri...@astro.ocis.temple.edu | #=#==========# | Temple University

Bob Nekic

Jun 19, 1993, 12:52:00 AM6/19/93

In a previous article, co...@griffin.emba.uvm.edu.uvm.edu (Brian M Coan) says:

>But anyways...has anyone heard this album? Is there *any* merit to
>it whatsoever? Oh my God, what if it's good....No way. Not a chance!

Now, I hate to go against the majority feeling here, but believe me when
I first say I understand what you're saying/implying about Billy Idol.
I -never- in any way considered myself a fan even in the remote sense,
especially after his last album.

BUT....I've had a pre-release copy of the cassette for atleast a month
now (thanks to a great promotional guy at the local CEMA Dist. branch)
and I must confess that the album is one of my current favorites.
Cyberpunk? maybe, maybe not...depends on how critical you are, but
whatever you call it, it's truly a fabulous bunch of tracks.
It's not exactly packed full of astounding messages and deep meaning or
anything exceptionally controversial, but it -is- full of a lot of
high-volume great stuff. I think it's very well produced...the studio
did a pretty good job- voice samples, etc all come together well.
Some of it has some techno-ish influence to it..

I hate to throw water on the Billy Idol burning here, but...
He openly admitted in Billboard magazine a few weeks back that before
this album he didn't not squat about computers of any kind and he knows
he has very little clue still, but he -does- seem to understand the vast
amounts of information, etc..that can/is available over the net.
Gotta give him credit for making an effort atleast. The guy's never
come off as a brilliant person...

anyway, the album is out June 29th and it really is a step up from the
hard-rock drivel he's been spewing lately.

--
--------] Bob Nekic (aa561) {aa...@cleveland.freenet.edu} [------------
"It's not my fault at all I can't get along

Nathaniel D. Daw

Jun 19, 1993, 2:52:14 AM6/19/93
>>But why not email the Cyberpunk Idol himself? he can be reached at:
>
>>id...@well.sf.ca.us
>
>>Though the reply is automated...
>

>Anyone care to place a wager that Billy can't even turn on a keyboard?

Funny you should mention that -- they featured him in an "MTV News" spot,
replying to his e-mail. He typed about four words a minute with two fingers,
the message "Smile. Your (sic) on MTV"...
what a moron.
nd

Christian Bartholdsson

Jun 19, 1993, 4:15:49 PM6/19/93
zam...@ap.cl.msu.edu (happy zamboni) writes:

>Don't give the man more credit than he deserves. I _believe_ (although I may
>be wrong), that his mailbox started as an automatic press-release distributor,
>and has never changed. It was, from everyone I have talked to, since his
>(at least that particular mail address) first "public" release of a mail
>address.

I had a fairly intelligent conversation with Billy via email 5-6 weeks ago
and it's pretty clear that he doesn't know much at all about cyberspace and
absolute zilch about the technology. No big surprise there (he did indeed
complain about the keyboard being difficult to work). The reason why the
reply is now automated may be that he's on a promotional tour in Europe right
now (just saw him on MTV the other day).

- ch...@minsk.docs.uu.se

happy zamboni

Jun 19, 1993, 5:45:16 PM6/19/93
In article <chris.740520949@Minsk> ch...@Minsk.docs.uu.se (Christian Bartholdsson ) writes:
>zam...@ap.cl.msu.edu (happy zamboni) writes:

[Un-informed flame about idol@well being just a press release mail script
deleted]

>I had a fairly intelligent conversation with Billy via email 5-6 weeks ago
>and it's pretty clear that he doesn't know much at all about cyberspace and
>absolute zilch about the technology. No big surprise there (he did indeed
>complain about the keyboard being difficult to work). The reason why the
>reply is now automated may be that he's on a promotional tour in Europe right
>now (just saw him on MTV the other day).
>
>- ch...@minsk.docs.uu.se
Apparently I was wrong, or at least mis-informed, and apologize for shooting
my mouth off. Thanks for correcting me.
-Eric

FRESHLY OPEN GRAVE

Jun 19, 1993, 5:49:08 PM6/19/93
In article <chris.740520949@Minsk> ch...@Minsk.docs.uu.se (Christian Bartholdsson ) writes:

>I had a fairly intelligent conversation with Billy via email 5-6 weeks ago
>and it's pretty clear that he doesn't know much at all about cyberspace and
>absolute zilch about the technology. No big surprise there (he did indeed
>complain about the keyboard being difficult to work). The reason why the
>reply is now automated may be that he's on a promotional tour in Europe right
>now (just saw him on MTV the other day).

I did as well, so it hasn't always been automated. I guess I wouldn't
call it intelligent either. I just sent him scary (in an odd, not
threatening manner) messages and he replied a few times trying to sound like
he had a clue and was taking it all in stride. he finally got sick of my
non-sensical letters (sometimes I even composed them in the "cut up" fashion
using magazines, newspapers, etc..) and stopped replying. I highly
recommend everyone doing it once he gets back to his account. Lets confuse\
bug the hell out of the fucker for the can of worms he opened.

Kennen Sie eine Merle? Kennen Sie eine Merle? Das ist gut...zu gut.

Robert Williams<*>MANNA-MACHINE<*>Minneapolis noise
will...@mr.net OR will...@manna-machine.com

gerade sie..sie ist mein Opfer. Schad um sie....
sie wird's..ach, nicht lange durchhalten....

Paul Michael Lewis

Jun 19, 1993, 6:44:00 PM6/19/93
>I think I just lost all respect for the magazine Wired. They just
>ran a full-page ad for some new cheesy album by Billy Idol called
>"Cyberpunk". Jesus, talk about killing a trend. I mean, if FLA
>released an album under that name, I could deal, but Billy fucking
>Idol? Jesus! He's the embodiment of American rock-and-roll total crap
>stupid bullshit. Ug!!

Aren't you just as stupid for buying into the moronic 'cyberpunk' scene? What
a ridiculous label.

Idiot 1: "Man, cool electronic sounds!"

Idiot 2: "Whattya think? Do you think it's cyberpunk?"

Idiot 1: "I dunno... yeah, maybe."

Idiot 2: "OK, cool, I like it."

--

+-| Paul Lewis | People's Temple, Jonestown: WLVR 91.3fm Mon. 11pm-1am |-+
| 'We do it because we are compelled.' -Kovacs (Moore)| |

Lorne Naff

Jun 19, 1993, 5:56:06 PM6/19/93
max...@telerama.pgh.pa.us (Max Ross Brenner) writes:

> The title of this thread exemplifies my reaction to seeing the little text
> on the side of the screen when "Shock to the System" was aired on Mtv. Why th

> fuck does Billy Idol think he has a right to call his album "Cyberpunk"
> when he probably doesn't have a fucking clue as to what cyberspace is. I
> felt like puking when I saw the video. It was like George Holliday meets
> Superman III. And the cops' (or whatever they were) outfits were right out of
> the movie Freejack.
> The only thing Billy Idol is good for is a good laugh (just play his LA
> Woman cover). He's bastardizing our movement (as if it wasn't being
> commercialized enough) for record sales.
> --
> Max Ross Brenner | KING: Now, Hamlet, where's Polonius?
> max...@telerama.pgh.pa.us | HAMLET: At supper. (IV,iii)

Hmmm... I actually kinda liked the song, I thought it was pretty well
written. The allusions to `king' were nicely done. The video was a
complete washout, though. Pure Billy Idoletry, his face is just to
adolescent for TV, especially when singing. He looked dumb. ( Yes, I
though of Freejack, too...)

On the subject of Mr. Idol's Cyberpunquishness, who the fuck cares?
If somebody wants to call themselves Cyberpunks, so be it! Did we
suddenly become a clique while I had my back turned? Do you have to have
a membership card to be a CP? I thought the originall purpose of all
this was so that we could learn how to controll the technology of the
next 20-50 years, so that we would run it, and not vice-versa. I didn' k
now there was a complementary game of _Cooler than Thou_. Get real
folks! I hate to say it, but even after the woeful Time magazine
article, most of the world doesn't know Jack Shit from Cyberpunk, and
probably won't for quite awhile. Don't worry about it. We're all still
here, and if the shit does hit the fan and 20,000,000,000 teeny-boppers
hit the net, we'll all find somewhere else to meet. We always have, and
we always will. If billy wants to come and play ( and make money),
let him, the street's big enough for us all!

Don't Warlord on Me! Mer...@unkaphead.jpunix.com Buy Cyberpunk!

Clayton R. Ritter

Jun 19, 1993, 10:42:44 PM6/19/93
mer...@unkaphaed.jpunix.com (Lorne Naff) writes:

> Hmmm... I actually kinda liked the song, I thought it was pretty well
>written. The allusions to `king' were nicely done. The video was a
>complete washout, though. Pure Billy Idoletry, his face is just to
>adolescent for TV, especially when singing. He looked dumb. ( Yes, I
>though of Freejack, too...)

> On the subject of Mr. Idol's Cyberpunquishness, who the fuck cares?
>If somebody wants to call themselves Cyberpunks, so be it! Did we
>suddenly become a clique while I had my back turned? Do you have to have
>a membership card to be a CP? I thought the originall purpose of all
>this was so that we could learn how to controll the technology of the
>next 20-50 years, so that we would run it, and not vice-versa. I didn' k
>now there was a complementary game of _Cooler than Thou_. Get real
>folks! I hate to say it, but even after the woeful Time magazine
>article, most of the world doesn't know Jack Shit from Cyberpunk, and
>probably won't for quite awhile. Don't worry about it. We're all still
>here, and if the shit does hit the fan and 20,000,000,000 teeny-boppers
>hit the net, we'll all find somewhere else to meet. We always have, and
>we always will. If billy wants to come and play ( and make money),
>let him, the street's big enough for us all!

> Don't Warlord on Me! Mer...@unkaphead.jpunix.com Buy Cyberpunk!

No, no no... Your blowing this whole issue out of focus here.. No one is
saying that it's wrong for him to want to be a 'cyberpunk', this
discussion is about the fact that he is taking this subculture and
parading around like he had something to do with it when he doesn't even
understand the scope of it- we're simply commenting on that event because
we know the real truth while 20,000,000,000 teeny-boppers will praise him
for the falacy he is. THAT is the exploitation and THAT is what we're
talking about. So what if the songs are well written- he's
got millions of bux to pay some hack who can turn on a keyboard to
write them! Most of the world doesn't know jack shit about cyberpunk? No
shit! That's not a problem- the people who don't know what it is don't
matter anyway...it has nothing to do with them since 'cyberpunk'
thrives on what they lack- usage and experience with technology (in all
facets)as a part of everyday life, and the understanding of our technology and
what can be done with it (even if we don't have the resources to do it yet)
...hence Billy Idol.

Dave Garner

Jun 20, 1993, 1:17:46 PM6/20/93
co...@griffin.emba.uvm.edu.uvm.edu (Brian M Coan) writes:

>I think I just lost all respect for the magazine Wired. They just
>ran a full-page ad for some new cheesy album by Billy Idol called
>"Cyberpunk". Jesus, talk about killing a trend. I mean, if FLA
>released an album under that name, I could deal, but Billy fucking
>Idol? Jesus! He's the embodiment of American rock-and-roll total crap
>stupid bullshit. Ug!!

>But anyways...has anyone heard this album? Is there *any* merit to

>it whatsoever? Oh my God, what if it's good....No way. Not a chance!

Ah, you were obviously missing during the pointlessly heated debate over this,
and also Billy's net adress, where you can get the hype ON LINE (yay) and also
leave your words of praise for him 8-) . Be aware that all who say "This is
cyberpunk/that's not cyberpunk" must be regarded (in varing degrees) with
suspicion. He's more cyberpunk than Dolly Parton, or Rick Price, or even Frank
Sinatra.... makes ya think, don' it?
--

Thank you for reading this message.

Politenessman.

Cameron Edwards

Jun 19, 1993, 7:00:30 PM6/19/93
co...@griffin.emba.uvm.edu.uvm.edu (Brian M Coan) writes:

> I think I just lost all respect for the magazine Wired. They just
> ran a full-page ad for some new cheesy album by Billy Idol called
> "Cyberpunk". Jesus, talk about killing a trend. I mean, if FLA
> released an album under that name, I could deal, but Billy fucking
> Idol? Jesus! He's the embodiment of American rock-and-roll total crap
> stupid bullshit. Ug!!
>
> But anyways...has anyone heard this album? Is there *any* merit to
> it whatsoever? Oh my God, what if it's good....No way. Not a chance!
>

> ----- -----
> Brian MacLeod Coan
> co...@emba.uvm.edu
> ---- -----

I heard the reason he called it 'cyberpunk' was due to the fact he
recorded it all with a macintosh and some other crap. It's really
fuckin' stupid, I saw the video 'Shock To the System' the other day and
almost died laffing, it was such a joke

Paul Michael Lewis

Jun 20, 1993, 11:38:20 AM6/20/93
>The title of this thread exemplifies my reaction to seeing the little text
>on the side of the screen when "Shock to the System" was aired on Mtv. Why the

>fuck does Billy Idol think he has a right to call his album "Cyberpunk"
>when he probably doesn't have a fucking clue as to what cyberspace is.

Cyberspace!!! Hahahahaha.

Who knows and who cares what the fuck that is. You sound like that stupid
Time article.

>The only thing Billy Idol is good for is a good laugh (just play his LA
>Woman cover). He's bastardizing our movement (as if it wasn't being
>commercialized enough) for record sales.

Our MOVEMENT?!?!? Oh man, you need a Valium.

Ralph Barbagallo

Jun 20, 1993, 9:36:10 AM6/20/93
Brian M Coan (co...@griffin.emba.uvm.edu.uvm.edu) wrote:
:
: I think I just lost all respect for the magazine Wired. They just
: ran a full-page ad for some new cheesy album by Billy Idol called
: "Cyberpunk". Jesus, talk about killing a trend. I mean, if FLA
: released an album under that name, I could deal, but Billy fucking
: Idol? Jesus! He's the embodiment of American rock-and-roll total crap
: stupid bullshit. Ug!!
:
: But anyways...has anyone heard this album? Is there *any* merit to
: it whatsoever? Oh my God, what if it's good....No way. Not a chance!

Billy is a goof..but hey, if he paid for the ad.. Wired will put it
in... it's all about the cash flow.

I saw his first video.. Shock to the System.. really cheesy.. I didn't
see it from the beginning but I think he videotapes some police violence (all
set in some sort of dark future L.A.) of cops beating down people in a crowd..
so they smash his camera and all the parts of the camera fall on him. Then
the camera parts dig into his skin and he turns into this cyborg thing... yippe.
Ralph A. Barbagallo III /Atari 2600,7800,Lynx,NES,GameBoy,SNES,Master System,
nug...@genesis.nred.ma.us/Genesis,Game Gear,NEO-GEO,Odyssey500,Vectrex,TurboCD,
Mindstorm WILL RETURN! /TurboGrafx-16,Commodore64,Amiga500,Atari800XL...!

Broward Horne

Jun 20, 1993, 8:40:11 PM6/20/93

In a previous article, art...@gsusgi2.gsu.edu (Clayton R. Ritter) says:

>No, no no... Your blowing this whole issue out of focus here.. No one is
>saying that it's wrong for him to want to be a 'cyberpunk', this
>discussion is about the fact that he is taking this subculture and
>parading around like he had something to do with it when he doesn't even
>understand the scope of it- we're simply commenting on that event because

He doesn't need to.

In truth, I don't think *you* understand the scope.
It isn't about defying authority, or knowing secret
passwords. It's about a complete re-organization of
culture. It's about unfathomable and unstoppable
change.

Idol's Video:

It captures the truth. Art doesn't have to understand.
I was surprised to see Idol capture the ideas in symbolism
that, most likely, he doesn't understand himself.

For a real grasp of Art subconciously absorbing the cyberspace
change, I'd recommend a serious listen to the soundtrack
from "Toys". The more I listen to it, the more incredible
it is. To have written things in, to have subconciously
incorporated ideas, it's strange that Thomas Dolby might
not even understand his own music.

For a true grasp of Change, I highly recommend

" The Great Reckoning " by Davidson & Rees-Mogg.

And keep your eyes on the dollar.

Clayton R. Ritter

Jun 20, 1993, 9:57:32 PM6/20/93
an...@cleveland.Freenet.Edu (Broward Horne) writes:

> He doesn't need to.

> In truth, I don't think *you* understand the scope.
> It isn't about defying authority, or knowing secret
> passwords. It's about a complete re-organization of
> culture. It's about unfathomable and unstoppable
> change.

Have you NOT been following this whole discussion?! Thats is EXACTLY what
I've BEEN saying...

Carl Christensen

Jun 20, 1993, 9:33:24 PM6/20/93
Cameron Edwards (muds...@hakatac.almanac.bc.ca) wrote:
: co...@griffin.emba.uvm.edu.uvm.edu (Brian M Coan) writes:
: I heard the reason he called it 'cyberpunk' was due to the fact he
: recorded it all with a macintosh and some other crap. It's really
: fuckin' stupid, I saw the video 'Shock To the System' the other day and
: almost died laffing, it was such a joke

That's funny, like how many albums (oops, CD's) by now have been
recorded by computer or with the help of a computer? Public Enemy
(the rap group) had a line "so I sit back and slap the Mac" years
ago, but I guess rap groups just aren't taken seriously.
Sheesh, it's not like he's the first to record music via computer.

z_al...@ccsvax.sfasu.edu

Jun 21, 1993, 12:38:31 AM6/21/93

z_al...@ccsvax.sfasu.edu

Jun 21, 1993, 12:39:12 AM6/21/93

z_al...@ccsvax.sfasu.edu

Jun 21, 1993, 12:39:32 AM6/21/93

z_al...@ccsvax.sfasu.edu

Jun 21, 1993, 12:41:22 AM6/21/93

Mike Tancsa

Jun 21, 1993, 2:10:59 AM6/21/93
Are you a card carrying member ? :-)

Really, though you got to hand it to Idol, or whoever thought up the
idea of doing a "cyberpunk" album, and make it well known that he has
an e-mail address. Cyberspace and having an email address (especially)
internet is becoming the currency for "coolness". I can just see the
latest hipsters trying to pick each other up in a bar... "Ah.. Yea
babe.. here is my email address... mail me sometime" When trendites
get tired of reliving the 60s, the net will be the next fad they turn
to.... Not to say the net is a fad, but it will become (already has
I guess) a fad to be on it...

---Mike

MDTA...@WATARTS.UWATERLOO.CA

Greg Earle

Jun 20, 1993, 8:10:10 PM6/20/93
In article <Williams.6...@manna-machine.com> Will...@manna-machine.com (FRESHLY OPEN GRAVE) writes:
>In article <chris.740520949@Minsk> ch...@Minsk.docs.uu.se (Christian Bartholdsson ) writes:
>>I had a fairly intelligent conversation with Billy via email 5-6 weeks ago
>>and it's pretty clear that he doesn't know much at all about cyberspace and
>>absolute zilch about the technology. No big surprise there (he did indeed
>>complain about the keyboard being difficult to work). The reason why the
>>reply is now automated may be that he's on a promotional tour in Europe right
>>now (just saw him on MTV the other day).
>
> I did as well, so it hasn't always been automated. I guess I wouldn't
>call it intelligent either. I just sent him scary (in an odd, not
>threatening manner) messages and he replied a few times trying to sound like
>he had a clue and was taking it all in stride. He finally got sick of my
>non-sensical letters (sometimes I even composed them in the "cut up" fashion
>using magazines, newspapers, etc..) and stopped replying. I highly
>recommend everyone doing it once he gets back to his account. Let's confuse/

>bug the hell out of the fucker for the can of worms he opened.

And to think people have asked me about getting Ogre on the net? Sheesh.

Reason #1 to not pursue this is quoted right above. Don't you think people
like these have enough tweakers to deal with in Real Life without getting
bombarded with puerile e-mails from Cyberspace?

(There are some far more pragmatic reasons, of course; for one, the only person
in Skinny Puppy who'd be even close to Cyberpunk is Dwayne Goettel; I tried to
get him to hook his Mac IIci up to Vancouver's MINDLINK! folks, but I doubt
that anything will ever happen - as Rave likes to say, "Dwayne! You're no
fucking Cyberpunk, you don't even own a modem!!!". For another, Ogre can't
even manipulate a guitar or a keyboard - he owns a Kurzweil K2000 and didn't
even realize that the "8 Megs" inside were all ROM, and he had no RAM - but
he doesn't own a computer either. Not that he'd know how to work it anyway.)

I abhor Billy Idiot as much as the next guy, but I certainly wouldn't waste
my time (nor his) sending stupid non-sensical e-mails to his account. Grow up.

By the way, I posted this before, but I'll repeat it: after seeing Sheep On
Drugs at the Troubadour here in L.A., the Troub bar contained a table whose
occupants included: Mondo 2000's R. U. Sirius, Devo's Mark Mothersbaugh and his
wife, Dr. Timothy Leary, and (seated next to Leary) ... Billy Idol.

--
- Greg Earle
Phone: (818) 353-8695 FAX: (818) 353-1877

Andrew Rawling

Jun 21, 1993, 3:13:37 AM6/21/93
In article <C8tpA...@dartvax.dartmouth.edu> Virgini...@dartmouth.edu (Virginia A. Reed) writes:
>In article <1993Jun18.1...@uvm.edu>

>co...@griffin.emba.uvm.edu.uvm.edu (Brian M Coan) writes:
>
>> But anyways...has anyone heard this album? Is there *any* merit to
>> it whatsoever? Oh my God, what if it's good....No way. Not a chance!
>
>I saw the first video off of it. Musically, it is far from cyberpunk,
>but it's a hell of a lot better than any other Billy Idol. The video
>itself looked like a poor attempt at duplicating cyberpunk video by
>someone with little or no background. It seemed like he based it on
>RoboCop... ugh.
>-LX

If this is the one I saw over the weekend, then the only film in mr idol's
cyberpunk video cabinet is Tetsuo I.

-andy.

Mike J. Brown

Jun 21, 1993, 7:50:48 AM6/21/93
Hey, let's keep quoting the same articles over and over, shall we?
Sheesh.
--
Mike Brown
_ _ __ ______________________________________Approach and Identify

Michael Jarvis

Jun 18, 1993, 8:58:55 PM6/18/93
Brian M Coan (co...@griffin.emba.uvm.edu.uvm.edu) wrote:
: I think I just lost all respect for the magazine Wired. They just
: ran a full-page ad for some new cheesy album by Billy Idol called
: "Cyberpunk". Jesus, talk about killing a trend. I mean, if FLA
: released an album under that name, I could deal, but Billy fucking
: Idol? Jesus! He's the embodiment of American rock-and-roll total crap
: stupid bullshit. Ug!!

Not only that, but in the advertisement for the album in "Rolling Stone"
they give an address for him:

"Contact Billy in CYBERSPACE: id...@well.sf.ca.us"
"Outlaw tech. Rebel science. Information is the ammunition, your mind
is the target. Hack the system. CYBERPUNK."

Makes me want to puke.
michael
--
* Michael A. Jarvis | Internet: mja...@okcforum.osrhe.edu
* Oklahoma City, OK | mja...@nyx.cs.du.edu

Niko Mikkanen

Jun 20, 1993, 5:37:25 PM6/20/93
co...@griffin.emba.uvm.edu.uvm.edu (Brian M Coan) writes:

> I think I just lost all respect for the magazine Wired. They just
> ran a full-page ad for some new cheesy album by Billy Idol called
> "Cyberpunk". Jesus, talk about killing a trend. I mean, if FLA
> released an album under that name, I could deal, but Billy fucking
> Idol? Jesus! He's the embodiment of American rock-and-roll total crap
> stupid bullshit. Ug!!
>

> But anyways...has anyone heard this album? Is there *any* merit to
> it whatsoever? Oh my God, what if it's good....No way. Not a chance!
>

> ----- -----
> Brian MacLeod Coan
> co...@emba.uvm.edu
> ---- -----

I just saw the "multimedia information package" or somesuch released
with the record. It's a disc for Mac with 1,3 Megs of BULLSHIT on it. It
has a nifty little program that lists the words of the songs, the people
who produced it etc. etc. It has an "Art Section" with Billy Idols
pictures bouncing around and over each other (like the cards in Windows
Solitaire when you play it through...), and loads and loads of purest
shit since China White...
The only good thing about the program is the fact that it tells people
about the excistence of the Net, and urges people to try it out (well,
_I_ think it's a good idea), as well as list different source of information
available. Like magazines both in the Net and on paper (yes, BOINg BOINg
and Mondo 2000 are there too...).
The part I did NOT like about it was the fact that the description of
Cyberpunk was the text-book descr of CP, ie., bad corps own the world,
pollution has eaten away the nature, people live in cities, there's the
Matrixx, "Information should be free", cybernetics, etc. ad infinitum...
Loads of BS, out of the 1,3 Megs, the (about) 10K of info about the Net
and different magazines was the only good part...And that was 10K only
because it had graphics in it...
The guy who showed it to me was extatic about it; "Yeah, well, it's
multi-media and hypertext and WOW! It's so great someone does this..." He
didn't have a clue...
The only interesting part about all this is the fact that apparently
Billy-Boy has been interested in the CP genre for _several_ years,
apparently from almost the start... (coincidence that he should bring the
fact out now :-))

I was propably crying
while I wrote the above.

It's not your fault

-nor your gain-,
my spirits just are low.
It's propably got
something to do
with the world around
getting through

Jeff Smith

Jun 21, 1993, 11:14:52 AM6/21/93
In article <1vsqk5$b...@slack.sim.es.com>, pash...@slack.sim.es.com (Pete Ashdown) writes:
|> lan...@ramanujan.WPI.EDU (Stephe Lewis Foskett) writes:
|>
|> >(oh, and if even FLA decided to name their album Cyberpunk I'd be the
|> >first to shout about how tacky the name was...)
|>
|> Of course this is all hypothetical, but we do realize here that the fact that
|> FLA was doing the cyberpunk before the media and Gibson painted the picture
^^^^^^

Are you sure about this? When did FLA release it's first disc?

jds

Guru Aleph_Null

Jun 21, 1993, 1:13:51 PM6/21/93
mdta...@watarts.uwaterloo.ca (Mike Tancsa) writes:

>Really, though you got to hand it to Idol, or whoever thought up the
>idea of doing a "cyberpunk" album, and make it well known that he has
>an e-mail address. Cyberspace and having an email address (especially)
>internet is becoming the currency for "coolness". I can just see the
>latest hipsters trying to pick each other up in a bar... "Ah.. Yea
>babe.. here is my email address... mail me sometime" When trendites
>get tired of reliving the 60s, the net will be the next fad they turn
>to.... Not to say the net is a fad, but it will become (already has
>I guess) a fad to be on it...

Lets make it known that you're not a true user of the Net unless you get
your fingers dirty and post meaningful messages on it. Anyone who just
gets an email address will be considered a wanna-be netter until they do
something on the net.

So get out your eletric cattle prods and get these wanna be netters
posting on alt.cyberpunk.wanna.be. :)

> ---Mike

>MDTA...@WATARTS.UWATERLOO.CA

Simon "Guru Aleph-Null" Janes |You! Stand up and be discounted
<s...@ukelele.gcr.com> |on the free market of run-of-the-
|mill ex-household-appliance dwellers.

mark

Jun 21, 1993, 2:53:36 PM6/21/93
In article <1vsqk5$b...@slack.sim.es.com> pash...@slack.sim.es.com (Pete Ashdown) writes:
<snip>
>order to please his publicity agent. I'd like to see William jump on the net
>and defend himself. Unfortunately, this will happen about the same time as
>pigs fly. Why? He's a moron.

Dear little jerk,
Gibson is not a moron. He is an excellent storyteller. He writes well.
I understand that he's not that into computers as, say, me (who programs
for a living), and wasn't that into things like the net. Now Bruce Stirling
does know a bit more (he was in the local UNIX users' group for a while -
research). But just because he's not into the net, calling him a moron
merely demonstates you're an sophomoric asshole.

mark, who likes a good story (and you're certainly not one)

Pete Ashdown

Jun 21, 1993, 4:45:44 PM6/21/93
ea...@isolar.Tujunga.CA.US (Greg Earle) writes:

>By the way, I posted this before, but I'll repeat it: after seeing Sheep On
>Drugs at the Troubadour here in L.A., the Troub bar contained a table whose
>occupants included: Mondo 2000's R. U. Sirius, Devo's Mark Mothersbaugh and his
>wife, Dr. Timothy Leary, and (seated next to Leary) ... Billy Idol.

So now the question is, what was Mark Mothersbaugh doing associating with the
rest of those pinks?

Ed Stastny

Jun 21, 1993, 5:25:55 PM6/21/93
a...@dmu.ac.uk (Andrew Rawling) writes:

>>someone with little or no background. It seemed like he based it on
>>RoboCop... ugh.

>If this is the one I saw over the weekend, then the only film in mr idol's

>cyberpunk video cabinet is Tetsuo I.

Absolutely correct. The only thing I could think of when seeing that
video (first time, last night) was TETSUO. The stop-action movement,
the wires all over, the quirky head movements....unmistakeably TETSUO
rip-off. Might not have been Idol, though...the cinematographer might
have just wanted to do a tribute (who knows...it might have been made by
the guy who did TETSUO...not to start a rumor or anything).

To keep this INDUSTRIAL, though...I've yet to see a really well-done
INDUSTRIAL video. Any suggestions?

...e

--
e...@sunsite.unc.edu | OTIS digital net-gallery, GIFs, JPGs, animations
PO BX 241113 | FTP: sunsite.unc.edu (/pub/multimedia/pictures/OTIS)

Broward Horne

Jun 21, 1993, 5:52:10 PM6/21/93

In a previous article, art...@gsusgi2.gsu.edu (Clayton R. Ritter) says:

>Have you NOT been following this whole discussion?! Thats is EXACTLY what
>I've BEEN saying...

Actually, your rather knee-jerk reaction to a previous post goaded
me into reading back 2-300 posts to see what was wrong with you.

" Felix Rohatyn, senior partner at Lazard Freres & Co, posed the
issue [ of derivatives ] even more baldly in an interview in
Institutional Investor last summer. He grumbled that

' 26-year olds with computers are creating financial
hydrogen bombs ' "
" The Next Meltdown? "
Barron's, June 7th 1993

" Miniaturized technologies miniaturize institutions. In time,
the microchip will destory the nation-state. It will give
small groups and even individuals the capacity to employ
violence in ways that could overturn governments and destroy
large organizations...

In effect, the Information Age has led to a vertical division
of culture, which now overlaps the old geographic divisions...

Culture is rapidly fissuring, like a monumental piece of glass
being shattered into shards. "

" The Great Reckoning "
Davidson & Rees-Mogg

Take it easy, chum.

You're a subset of the Great Reckoning.

I doubt the SuperSet is within your domain.

If I were you, I'd stay in my niche. Be etched in ROM, dude.

Jeff Smith

Jun 21, 1993, 5:44:43 PM6/21/93
In article <1993Jun21....@radian.uucp>, markbr%rad...@natinst.com (mark) writes:
|> In article <1vsqk5$b...@slack.sim.es.com> pash...@slack.sim.es.com (Pete Ashdown) writes:
|> <snip>
|> >order to please his publicity agent. I'd like to see William jump on the net
|> >and defend himself. Unfortunately, this will happen about the same time as
|> >pigs fly. Why? He's a moron.
|>
|> Dear little jerk,
|> Gibson is not a moron. He is an excellent storyteller. He writes well.

Uhhh...I'm pretty sure the William in question is Idol, not Gibson.

jds

Jun 21, 1993, 6:32:48 PM6/21/93
a...@dmu.ac.uk (Andrew Rawling) writes:

> If this is the one I saw over the weekend, then the only film in mr idol's
> cyberpunk video cabinet is Tetsuo I.

I disagree, I can't even think of a film promoted as being 'cyber' that
did not feature all the similar cybery features. In fact I think Billy
did a fine job of adding to the integrity of the word 'Cyberpunk' as
meaning simply 'a guy with circuitry & a lens on one half of his face'.
If anyone is actually bothered by use of the term 'Cyberpunk' in popular
media, they should probably read more sci-fi novels, where they wont be
distracted by so much obvious exploitation. On the other hand, if you
get your jollies by repeatedly watching the Mindphaser video, you are
most likely so far gone that you deserve to be annoyed by Billy Idol.

Brad Allison

Jun 21, 1993, 7:29:08 PM6/21/93

> I can just see the
> latest hipsters trying to pick each other up in a bar... "Ah.. Yea
> babe.. here is my email address... mail me sometime" When trendites
> get tired of reliving the 60s, the net will be the next fad they turn
> to.... Not to say the net is a fad, but it will become (already has
> I guess) a fad to be on it...

Funny you should say that. I met a guy at a bar. We left; talked; found
out he had an internet account at work so we exchange E-mail addresses.
We 'talk'-ed the next couple of days over the eithernet and that is how
we go to really know one another. So your little example up above
actually happened like two weeks ago, and I am glad as hell it did.

-brad

:. .:. .:. .:. .:. .:. .:. .:. .:. .:
"...we not only could know everything. We do. We just tell ourselves we don't
to make it all bearable." -Destruction quoting Death to Dream 'Sandman'
======================jac...@garfield.catt.ncsu.edu============================

Brad Allison

Jun 21, 1993, 7:45:03 PM6/21/93

In article <ed.740697955@cwis> e...@cwis.unomaha.edu (Ed Stastny) writes:

>a...@dmu.ac.uk (Andrew Rawling) writes:
>

>To keep this INDUSTRIAL, though...I've yet to see a really well-done
>INDUSTRIAL video. Any suggestions?

Have you seen the NIN's video for Happiness In Slavery, where the guy
sits down on his death chair and gets ripped to pieces. Totally sick
video.

Mike Tancsa

Jun 21, 1993, 11:20:34 PM6/21/93
In article <1993Jun21.2...@ncsu.edu> jac...@stimpy.catt.ncsu.edu (Brad Allison) writes:

>In article <C8yJu...@watserv2.uwaterloo.ca> mdta...@watarts.uwaterloo.ca (Mike Tancsa) writes:
>
>> I can just see the
>> latest hipsters trying to pick each other up in a bar... "Ah.. Yea
>> babe.. here is my email address... mail me sometime" When trendites
>> get tired of reliving the 60s, the net will be the next fad they turn
>> to.... Not to say the net is a fad, but it will become (already has
>> I guess) a fad to be on it...
>>

>Funny you should say that. I met a guy at a bar. We left; talked; found
>out he had an internet account at work so we exchange E-mail addresses.
>We 'talk'-ed the next couple of days over the eithernet and that is how
>we go to really know one another. So your little example up above
>actually happened like two weeks ago, and I am glad as hell it did.
>
> -brad
>
>======================jac...@garfield.catt.ncsu.edu============================

Just to clarify my original post, I dont mean to say that giving some one
your email address as a means of contact is 'gosh' or trendy. I think
to do so as a way of saying your are 'cool' or whatever the argot currently
is, is to me at least really idiotic...

I just thought of another stupid bar line "Hey babe, Ive got my own private
archive site. Why dont you log into me" YUCK! I cant believe I wrote that

Anyways, its the intent, not the act... i.e. I use the net to be cool vs. I
use the net to expand my personal knowledge, or a thousand other reasons...

---Mike

Stephe Lewis Foskett

Jun 21, 1993, 7:49:21 PM6/21/93

jackal> In article <ed.740697955@cwis> e...@cwis.unomaha.edu (Ed Stastny) writes:
>a...@dmu.ac.uk (Andrew Rawling) writes:
>To keep this INDUSTRIAL, though...I've yet to see a really well-done
>INDUSTRIAL video. Any suggestions?
jackal> Have you seen the NIN's video for Happiness In Slavery, where
jackal> the guy sits down on his death chair and gets ripped to
jackal> pieces. Totally sick video.

After all the hype, somehow I expected more... I thought the video
was pretty dull, really... Even Down In It was more interesting (and
that's not saying a lot...)

Hoo-well...

.s.
(that's what I get for expecting anything from Mr. Reznor Esq...)
--
- lan...@wpi.wpi.edu - - In the Mean Time -
- To die unsung would really bring you down although wet eyes -

Michael Jarvis

Jun 22, 1993, 12:35:38 AM6/22/93
In article <2001dc$n...@msuinfo.cl.msu.edu> zam...@ap.cl.msu.edu (happy zamboni) writes:
>In article <chris.740520949@Minsk> ch...@Minsk.docs.uu.se (Christian Bartholdsson ) writes:
>>zam...@ap.cl.msu.edu (happy zamboni) writes:
>>
>[Un-informed flame about idol@well being just a press release mail script
> deleted]

>>I had a fairly intelligent conversation with Billy via email 5-6 weeks ago
>>and it's pretty clear that he doesn't know much at all about cyberspace and
[deleted stuff]
>Apparently I was wrong, or at least mis-informed, and apologize for shooting
>my mouth off. Thanks for correcting me.

I've been talking to him via email also, and he is fairly intelligent, and
he is aware of the flameage that he's receiving here. Maybe he'll stop in
and defend himself. Personally, I'm impressed. Granted, he's not that
familiar about cyberspace but he's definitely excited and enthusiastic
about it. I was just afraid that it was a stupid phony Vanilla Ice-type
gimmick, trying to fit in where he could never belong.

michael
* Michael A. Jarvis | Internet: mja...@nyx.cs.du.edu CI$: 70562,212 *
* Oklahoma City, OK | Fidonet: Michael Jarvis, 1:147/2051 *
\-----------------------------------------------------------------------------/

Michael Jarvis

Jun 22, 1993, 12:48:07 AM6/22/93
In article <C8uG2...@darkside.osrhe.edu> mja...@okcforum.osrhe.edu (Michael Jarvis) writes:

>Not only that, but in the advertisement for the album in "Rolling Stone"
>they give an address for him:
>
> "Contact Billy in CYBERSPACE: id...@well.sf.ca.us"
> "Outlaw tech. Rebel science. Information is the ammunition, your mind
> is the target. Hack the system. CYBERPUNK."
>
>Makes me want to puke.

Although the silly ad still makes me want to puke, I'm changing my mind
a bit about Billy. He does appear to have some enthusiasm about what
cyberpunk is about. Maybe he just needs a new advertising agent.

michael
(Yeah, I know...this sig is different.)

* Michael A. Jarvis | Internet: mja...@nyx.cs.du.edu CI$: 70562,212 *

* Oklahoma City, OK | Fidonet: Michael Jarvis, 1:147/2051 *
\-----------------------------------------------------------------------------/

Guru Aleph_Null

Jun 22, 1993, 1:07:31 AM6/22/93
e...@cwis.unomaha.edu (Ed Stastny) writes:

>To keep this INDUSTRIAL, though...I've yet to see a really well-done
>INDUSTRIAL video. Any suggestions?

Its not really a video, but there was this stop-motion animation that
Alive From Off Center had played by "The Brothers Quay". I can't remember
the name of it though... "Crocodile Streets" or something like that..

>--
>e...@sunsite.unc.edu | OTIS digital net-gallery, GIFs, JPGs, animations
>PO BX 241113 | FTP: sunsite.unc.edu (/pub/multimedia/pictures/OTIS)
>Omaha, NE 68124-1113 | aql.gatech.edu (/pub/OTIS)
>e...@cwis.unomaha.edu | 141.214.4.135 (projects/otis)

Greg Earle

Jun 21, 1993, 2:44:35 PM6/21/93
In article <20301b$f...@usenet.ins.cwru.edu> an...@cleveland.Freenet.Edu (Broward Horne) writes:
[...]

I don't know what it is that you're smokin', but can you tell us where we can
get some? Dat's some serious mindfunk shit weed, ya da bruddah.

Al Crawford

Jun 22, 1993, 6:05:54 AM6/22/93
And lo, sm...@fl08-g.comm.mot.com (Jeff Smith) spake unto the masses saying:

>> Of course this is all hypothetical, but we do realize here that the fact
>> that FLA was doing the cyberpunk before the media and Gibson painted the
>> picture
>
> Are you sure about this? When did FLA release it's first disc?

The first Front Line Assembly album was _The Initial Command_, released
back in 1987. So, no, FLA didn't predate Gibson. Then again, it's only with
their most recent material (_Tactical Neural Implant_ and accompanying
singles/EPs) that FLA have moved thematically into something that could be
really be associated with the cyberpunk thang. Up until then their subject
matter had been the usual "social decay and inhumanity of modern life"
stuff, which predates Mr Gibson (and FLA) by quite a bit.

--
Al Crawford - aw...@dcs.ed.ac.uk
Department Of Computer Science, The University of Edinburgh

Dylan Greene

Jun 22, 1993, 9:58:47 AM6/22/93

> Have you seen the NIN's video for Happiness In Slavery, where the guy
> sits down on his death chair and gets ripped to pieces. Totally sick
> video.
>
> -brad

Umm.. Trent reznor is the vanilla ice of industrial, why make any
refrences to him?

Jeff Smith

Jun 22, 1993, 10:33:09 AM6/22/93
In article <ed.740697955@cwis>, e...@cwis.unomaha.edu (Ed Stastny) writes:

|> To keep this INDUSTRIAL, though...I've yet to see a really well-done
|> INDUSTRIAL video. Any suggestions?

I'm not sure I know exactly what an "INDUSTRIAL video" is! I know everyone
will jump all over this one, but I really liked the video for NIN's "Down
In It." Well, it gave me a headache, anyway. And isn't that what it's all
about? :-)

jds

Jeff Smith *
sm...@fl08-g.comm.mot.com * Remember...it's not self-mutilation if
-or- * we help you do it!
sm...@ecs.comm.mot.com * - Akbar and Jeff

Brad Allison

Jun 22, 1993, 11:26:03 AM6/22/93

In article <o1TJ6B...@cybernet.cse.fau.edu> squ...@cybernet.cse.fau.edu (Dylan Greene) writes:

>Umm.. Trent reznor is the vanilla ice of industrial, why make any
>refrences to him?

o please.
you most have missed the 25th define 'industrial' bit.
or you just want to down someone a lot of people here like.

either way you added no new information to the discussion, so why even talk.

Pete Ashdown

Jun 22, 1993, 12:48:50 PM6/22/93
markbr%rad...@natinst.com (mark) writes:

>>order to please his publicity agent. I'd like to see William jump on the net
>>and defend himself. Unfortunately, this will happen about the same time as
>>pigs fly. Why? He's a moron.

>Dear little jerk,
> Gibson is not a moron. He is an excellent storyteller. He writes well.
>I understand that he's not that into computers as, say, me (who programs
>for a living), and wasn't that into things like the net. Now Bruce Stirling
>does know a bit more (he was in the local UNIX users' group for a while -
>research). But just because he's not into the net, calling him a moron
>merely demonstates you're an sophomoric asshole.

Dear big jerk,
Contextualization is important. It keeps you from spilling your idiocy in
front of a crowd of people. Learn to use the English language and it won't
beat you around so much.

Love,
Sophomoric asshole

Nathaniel D. Daw

Jun 22, 1993, 1:23:45 PM6/22/93
In article <1993Jun22.1...@lmpsbbs.comm.mot.com> sm...@fl08-g.comm.mot.com (Jeff Smith) writes:
>In article <ed.740697955@cwis>, e...@cwis.unomaha.edu (Ed Stastny) writes:
>
>|> To keep this INDUSTRIAL, though...I've yet to see a really well-done
>|> INDUSTRIAL video. Any suggestions?
>
>I'm not sure I know exactly what an "INDUSTRIAL video" is! I know everyone
>will jump all over this one, but I really liked the video for NIN's "Down
>In It." Well, it gave me a headache, anyway. And isn't that what it's all
>about? :-)

Actually, I think the best industrial video, in terms of somehow capturing the
spirit of the music, is FLA's Iceolate. I think it was done by HGUN
productions, who are also responsible for the videos for Head Like a Hole,
Lead Into Gold's Faster than Light, and possibly Ministry's _In Case You
Didn't..._

Ed Stastny

Jun 22, 1993, 1:23:51 PM6/22/93
s...@ukelele.gcr.com (Guru Aleph_Null) writes:

>>To keep this INDUSTRIAL, though...I've yet to see a really well-done
>>INDUSTRIAL video. Any suggestions?

>Its not really a video, but there was this stop-motion animation that
>Alive From Off Center had played by "The Brothers Quay". I can't remember
>the name of it though... "Crocodile Streets" or something like that..

I think I've seen it...quite awhile ago. I remember moving fur, strange
figures and odd movement. ALIVE FROM OFF CENTER did have the occasional
"industrialesque" feature. I hear it's now ALIVE TV or some such and
that the guys that used to do BUZZ on MTV were working on it. BUZZ,
itself, is a must see for all information junkies...some music and
images were "dark, mechanical and ominous" (ie "industrial")...some were
just collagey and light.

At any rate...I'm not able to get ALIVE TV here...or at least the PBS
stations don't seem to know what I'm talking about when I call to ask
for play-dates and times.

Does THRILL KILL KULT have a video for anything before SEX ON WHEELZ?

...e

Jan Besehanic

Jun 21, 1993, 3:29:56 PM6/21/93
mjb...@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu (Mike J. Brown) writes:

>Hey, let's keep quoting the same articles over and over, shall we?
>Sheesh.

Whatever turns you on, darling.

>--
> Mike Brown
>_ _ __ ______________________________________Approach and Identify

/Jan.
--
Jan Besehanic
email: ja...@lysator.liu.se j...@df.lth.se

Jan Besehanic

Jun 22, 1993, 9:18:47 AM6/22/93
jac...@stimpy.catt.ncsu.edu (Brad Allison) writes:

>In article <ed.740697955@cwis> e...@cwis.unomaha.edu (Ed Stastny) writes:
>>a...@dmu.ac.uk (Andrew Rawling) writes:
>>

>>To keep this INDUSTRIAL, though...I've yet to see a really well-done
>>INDUSTRIAL video. Any suggestions?

>Have you seen the NIN's video for Happiness In Slavery, where the guy
>sits down on his death chair and gets ripped to pieces. Totally sick
>video.

All done in the best possible taste...

Well, it's better than Billy Idiot doing "Tetsuo meets Sonic The Hedgehog".

> -brad

/Jan.

Ralph Barbagallo

Jun 22, 1993, 10:23:19 AM6/22/93
Carl Christensen (chri...@astro.ocis.temple.edu) wrote:
: Cameron Edwards (muds...@hakatac.almanac.bc.ca) wrote:
: : co...@griffin.emba.uvm.edu.uvm.edu (Brian M Coan) writes:
: : I heard the reason he called it 'cyberpunk' was due to the fact he
: : recorded it all with a macintosh and some other crap. It's really
: : fuckin' stupid, I saw the video 'Shock To the System' the other day and
: : almost died laffing, it was such a joke
:
: That's funny, like how many albums (oops, CD's) by now have been
: recorded by computer or with the help of a computer? Public Enemy
: (the rap group) had a line "so I sit back and slap the Mac" years

Yeah but Chuck might not have meant a Macintosh.

: ago, but I guess rap groups just aren't taken seriously.
: Sheesh, it's not like he's the first to record music via computer.
:
: --
: Carl Christensen /~~\_/~\ ,,, Dept. of Computer Science
: chri...@astro.ocis.temple.edu | #=#==========# | Temple University
: "Curiouser and curiouser!" - LC \__/~\_/ ``` Philadelphia, PA USA
Ralph A. Barbagallo III /Atari 2600,7800,Lynx,NES,GameBoy,SNES,Master System,
nug...@genesis.nred.ma.us/Genesis,Game Gear,NEO-GEO,Odyssey500,Vectrex,TurboCD,
Mindstorm WILL RETURN! /TurboGrafx-16,Commodore64,Amiga500,Atari800XL...!

Broward Horne

Jun 22, 1993, 6:41:30 PM6/22/93

In a previous article, ea...@isolar.Tujunga.CA.US (Greg Earle) says:

>I don't know what it is that you're smokin', but can you tell us where we can
>get some? Dat's some serious mindfunk shit weed, ya da bruddah.

Sorry, chum. No pickup for Continental raids.

You know what they say...

It's France, and meat's short.

Guru Aleph_Null

Jun 22, 1993, 11:07:59 PM6/22/93
ja...@lysator.liu.se (Jan Besehanic) writes:

>jac...@stimpy.catt.ncsu.edu (Brad Allison) writes:

>>In article <ed.740697955@cwis> e...@cwis.unomaha.edu (Ed Stastny) writes:
>>>a...@dmu.ac.uk (Andrew Rawling) writes:
>>>

>>>To keep this INDUSTRIAL, though...I've yet to see a really well-done
>>>INDUSTRIAL video. Any suggestions?

>>Have you seen the NIN's video for Happiness In Slavery, where the guy
>>sits down on his death chair and gets ripped to pieces. Totally sick
>>video.

>All done in the best possible taste...

>Well, it's better than Billy Idiot doing "Tetsuo meets Sonic The Hedgehog".

I get the idea that I'm going to be thankful that I can't watch MTV. (Nor
do I watch any "video shows"...) So I'll also be thankful that so far that
I have not witnessed the new Billy Idol video...

I haven't see this "Tetsuo" either...

There's precious little to get excited about on network television.

>> -brad

>/Jan.

>>:. .:. .:. .:. .:. .:. .:. .:. .:. .:
>>"...we not only could know everything. We do. We just tell ourselves we don't
>> to make it all bearable." -Destruction quoting Death to Dream 'Sandman'
>>======================jac...@garfield.catt.ncsu.edu============================

>--
>Jan Besehanic
>email: ja...@lysator.liu.se j...@df.lth.se
> Eat a christian for Jesus!
> Support cannibalism!

Guru Aleph_Null

Jun 22, 1993, 11:17:15 PM6/22/93
e...@cwis.unomaha.edu (Ed Stastny) writes:

>s...@ukelele.gcr.com (Guru Aleph_Null) writes:

>>Its not really a video, but there was this stop-motion animation that
>>Alive From Off Center had played by "The Brothers Quay". I can't remember
>>the name of it though... "Crocodile Streets" or something like that..

>I think I've seen it...quite awhile ago. I remember moving fur, strange
>figures and odd movement. ALIVE FROM OFF CENTER did have the occasional
>"industrialesque" feature. I hear it's now ALIVE TV or some such and
>that the guys that used to do BUZZ on MTV were working on it. BUZZ,
>itself, is a must see for all information junkies...some music and
>images were "dark, mechanical and ominous" (ie "industrial")...some were
>just collagey and light.
>
>At any rate...I'm not able to get ALIVE TV here...or at least the PBS
>stations don't seem to know what I'm talking about when I call to ask
>for play-dates and times.

Alas, Alive TV isn't very regular anymore... perhaps the NEA crud had
something to do with it, did they lose their NEA funding? WETA doesn't
play it very regularly anymore either.. (Along with some other things that
I miss... Dr. Who and Red Dwarf... the Baltimore stations have it of
course, but then... thats the Baltimorians... us Washimorians south of the
Beltway are SOL.) [I really should give up the Death Capital fringe talk..
eh?]

>Does THRILL KILL KULT have a video for anything before SEX ON WHEELZ?

Haven't even seen that one. :)

>--
>e...@sunsite.unc.edu | OTIS digital net-gallery, GIFs, JPGs, animations

Victor the Cleaner

Jun 23, 1993, 1:05:53 AM6/23/93
> Does THRILL KILL KULT have a video for anything before SEX ON WHEELZ?

Yup, there's one for "Kooler Than Jesus"
--
"Wow...heh-heh-heh-heh...that was really exciting...."
Curt Tsui

David Frost

Jun 22, 1993, 6:08:51 PM6/22/93

>Does THRILL KILL KULT have a video for anything before SEX ON WHEELZ?

yes, in fact they have a big long one which you can't get anymore because
wax trax does not exist

actually, if you contact the mindway corporation, i am sure you could get it

it is very good and very strange and has about 10-15 videos and some live
stuff and interview stuff and that kind of thing.

etc
sorry, i don't have the address on hand, but i am sure it is in a phone
book somewhere in chicago.. maybe.

(dalek242)

Al Crawford

Jun 23, 1993, 6:09:56 AM6/23/93
And lo, e...@cwis.unomaha.edu (Ed Stastny) spake unto the masses saying:

> To keep this INDUSTRIAL, though...I've yet to see a really well-done
> INDUSTRIAL video. Any suggestions?

I'd say Cabaret Voltaire's video work with Peter Care could safely be
classified as "industrial". Low-quality distorted images of everything from
footage of riots, to old commercials, to hardcore porn, all mixed up and
cut and pasted and chopped.

Alan Hines

Jun 23, 1993, 6:19:51 AM6/23/93
>>Does THRILL KILL KULT have a video for anything before SEX ON WHEELZ?

Yes, they do, a really brilliant short film for "Kooler Than Jesus," produced
and directed by the band itself (which is always a good indicator for how much
thought is behind the overall project).

Ed Stastny

Jun 23, 1993, 7:49:06 AM6/23/93
aw...@dcs.ed.ac.uk (Al Crawford) writes:

>I'd say Cabaret Voltaire's video work with Peter Care could safely be
>classified as "industrial". Low-quality distorted images of everything from
>footage of riots, to old commercials, to hardcore porn, all mixed up and
>cut and pasted and chopped.

I saw one Cabaret Voltaire video that was played on ART MAGGOT HYSTERIA
(public access show from LA or thereabouts)...it was pretty boring.
Just clips of the city...many were repeated a nauseating multitude of
times. Probably not the Peter Care stuff.

...e

--
e...@sunsite.unc.edu | OTIS digital net-gallery, GIFs, JPGs, animations

Dave Garner

Jun 23, 1993, 12:42:00 PM6/23/93
an...@cleveland.Freenet.Edu (Broward Horne) writes:

>In a previous article, art...@gsusgi2.gsu.edu (Clayton R. Ritter) says:

>>No, no no... Your blowing this whole issue out of focus here.. No one is
>>saying that it's wrong for him to want to be a 'cyberpunk', this
>>discussion is about the fact that he is taking this subculture and
>>parading around like he had something to do with it when he doesn't even
>>understand the scope of it- we're simply commenting on that event because

> He doesn't need to.
> In truth, I don't think *you* understand the scope.

good, good.....

> It isn't about defying authority, or knowing secret
> passwords.

agreed....

It's about a complete re-organization of

> culture. It's about unfathomable and unstoppable
> change.

You have faith that it will grow to such proportions , when the more squaling
brats here insist on telling everyone that cyberpunk is what THEY think it is,
and not what YOU think it is? At least 60% of the bandwidth here is totally
ignorant and conservative, not free thinking at all, hence not in the least
revolutionary, hence unlikely to cause any significant change. Not picking on
you personally at all, but this group needs a bit more tollerance and
solidarity before it will effect any unstoppable change.

> that, most likely, he doesn't understand himself.

> For a real grasp of Art subconciously absorbing the cyberspace
> change, I'd recommend a serious listen to the soundtrack
> from "Toys". The more I listen to it, the more incredible
> it is. To have written things in, to have subconciously
> incorporated ideas, it's strange that Thomas Dolby might
> not even understand his own music.

Umm.... have you ever sat through a few mixdown sessions? When you've listened
to a track hundereds of times, you are eventually listening desperately for
the finest nuance of difference.... very little escapes you when you've put
every bit of the music down, and listened to, and discarded the bits that
don't work. You can be sure that the stuff in there that impresses you is
there because it's likely to impress you. There might be a few bits of
synergy in there, but most of it has been conscious effort, in my experience.
I like Dolby a lot, and think he deserves at least 87% of the credit for
INTENTIONAL excellence 8-)

Davo.

Dave Garner

Jun 23, 1993, 1:06:43 PM6/23/93
mdta...@watarts.uwaterloo.ca (Mike Tancsa) writes:

>I just thought of another stupid bar line "Hey babe, Ive got my own private
>archive site. Why dont you log into me" YUCK! I cant believe I wrote that

Surely this should be "Why don't I log into you?" 8-)
--

Thank you for reading this message.

Politenessman.

Dave Garner

Jun 23, 1993, 12:59:43 PM6/23/93
cre...@swob.nullnet.fi (Niko Mikkanen) writes:

> The part I did NOT like about it was the fact that the description of
>Cyberpunk was the text-book descr of CP, ie., bad corps own the world,
>pollution has eaten away the nature, people live in cities, there's the
>Matrixx, "Information should be free", cybernetics, etc. ad infinitum...
> Loads of BS, out of the 1,3 Megs, the (about) 10K of info about the Net
>and different magazines was the only good part...And that was 10K only
>because it had graphics in it...

Shit-a-fucking-brick mate, CP arose from *Fiction*. A style of fiction in which
all of the above are largely accepted without the author's even mentioning it.
So YOU have made it something COMPLETELY different, have you?
Cyber Punk is now YOU doing what YOU want, is it? Fine fine fine.
Having lurked, read, contributed occassionaly and had a few laffs in this
newsgroup, if I'd taken as valid some frequently stated views, CP is NOT
people in leather jackets with lovely flashing LEDs on them. It is NOT drug
crazed hackers bent on pulling down the system. It is NOT nessecarily people
into Skinny P. etc. It is DEFINATELY not any free exhange of viewpoints,
information or co-operation. It is NOT *ANYTHING* that the papers or magazines
say it IS, right?
So what IS it?
Seems to me it's about 250 people saying "I'm the only one in step, you're all
wrong". This small, rabid, vague minority, too busy disagreeing with eachother
to disagree with anything substantial. I do not quake in fear of a cyberpunk
revolution, whatever the Times may say 8-)
I like Gibson. Do you? Then why do you hate all the concepts used in his books?

Just curious.
Davo.

> The only interesting part about all this is the fact that apparently
>Billy-Boy has been interested in the CP genre for _several_ years,
>apparently from almost the start... (coincidence that he should bring the
>fact out now :-))

>I was propably crying
>while I wrote the above.
>It's not your fault
>-nor your gain-,
>my spirits just are low.
>It's propably got
>something to do
>with the world around
>getting through

Pete Hartman

Jun 22, 1993, 5:01:11 PM6/22/93
In <2056lo$o...@slack.sim.es.com: pash...@slack.sim.es.com (Pete Ashdown) writes:
:ea...@isolar.Tujunga.CA.US (Greg Earle) writes:
::By the way, I posted this before, but I'll repeat it: after seeing Sheep On
::Drugs at the Troubadour here in L.A., the Troub bar contained a table whose
::occupants included: Mondo 2000's R. U. Sirius, Devo's Mark Mothersbaugh and his
::wife, Dr. Timothy Leary, and (seated next to Leary) ... Billy Idol.
:So now the question is, what was Mark Mothersbaugh doing associating with the
:rest of those pinks?

I'm more curious about when he married Dr. Timothy Leary.
--
Pete Hartman Bradley University p...@bradley.bradley.edu
Practical Ego Annihilation for the Zen Novice

fRESHLY oPEN gRAVE

Jun 23, 1993, 9:37:43 AM6/23/93
In article <C92K8...@dcs.ed.ac.uk> aw...@dcs.ed.ac.uk (Al Crawford) writes:
>And lo, e...@cwis.unomaha.edu (Ed Stastny) spake unto the masses saying:
>>
>> To keep this INDUSTRIAL, though...I've yet to see a really well-done
>> INDUSTRIAL video. Any suggestions?
>
>I'd say Cabaret Voltaire's video work with Peter Care could safely be
>classified as "industrial". Low-quality distorted images of everything from
>footage of riots, to old commercials, to hardcore porn, all mixed up and
>cut and pasted and chopped.

I have a great videotape in the same vein put out by SPK. Just classic
SPK noise over (what else from these med-heads) effected autopsy footage.
It even has the autopsy again at the end with straight footage and narration
by the doctor (as my sampler warms up). Raw, but ever so well done ;'>.
Bought it right here over the net some time ago. Whoever you were that sold
it to me, thank you.....

will...@manna-machine.com OR will...@mr.net

gerade sie..sie ist mein Opfer. Schad um sie....
sie wird's..ach, nicht lange durchhalten....

Rob Spray

Jun 23, 1993, 1:33:26 PM6/23/93
In <C92K8...@dcs.ed.ac.uk> aw...@dcs.ed.ac.uk (Al Crawford) writes:

>And lo, e...@cwis.unomaha.edu (Ed Stastny) spake unto the masses saying:
>>
>> To keep this INDUSTRIAL, though...I've yet to see a really well-done
>> INDUSTRIAL video. Any suggestions?

>I'd say Cabaret Voltaire's video work with Peter Care could safely be
>classified as "industrial".

Here's a couple more:

There was one by Meat Beat Manifesto I saw at the old Video Bar in
Dallas, years ago. I don't recall the song, but the lead dancer was crawling
up these endless staircases. Only saw it once, but have never forgotten
it, which at my senile age is high praise.

Also, the new Track X by Sheep on Drugs is pretty good. Lot's of sped-up
driving scenes.

--DJ Stereotype, KNON, Dallas aka sp...@convex.com

--r.m.i resident old fart

Tino

Jun 23, 1993, 1:31:41 PM6/23/93
In article <Williams.7...@manna-machine.com> Will...@manna-machine.com (fRESHLY oPEN gRAVE) writes:
> I have a great videotape in the same vein put out by SPK. Just classic
>SPK noise over (what else from these med-heads) effected autopsy footage.
>It even has the autopsy again at the end with straight footage and narration
>by the doctor (as my sampler warms up). Raw, but ever so well done ;'>.
>Bought it right here over the net some time ago. Whoever you were that sold
>it to me, thank you.....

You're welcome. Does anyone else know of any other SPK videos out there?
I've heard of some vile footage put out by them, including necrophilic and
torture goodies...

Going back to eating his lunch,

Tino
"Hundreds of millions of people will soon perish in smog disasters in New York
and Los Angeles...the oceans will die of DDT poisoning by 1979...the U.S. life
expectancy will drop to 42 years by 1980 due to cancer epidemics." - Paul Ehrlich, 1969

Jeff Smith

Jun 23, 1993, 1:36:03 PM6/23/93

|> Shit-a-fucking-brick mate, CP arose from *Fiction*. A style of fiction in which
|> all of the above are largely accepted without the author's even mentioning it.

Absolutely! This is so true (and forgotten) that it's almost funny. The fiction
(Gibson, et al) takes trends in *mainstream* culture and takes them to an extreme.
Now people have decided that the imagery is cool so they're trying to make it look
like some kind of grassroots underground movement, but it's not, really. Hey, I
like some of the imagery, the associated music, etc. as well, but I'm not kidding
myself into believing I'm part of some revolution.

jds

*
Jeff Smith * Can't you just graduate from junior
sm...@fl08-g.comm.mot.com * college and start sweeping like the rest
* of your kind? Huh, rave-boy?
* - Mathew Neill Sharp

fRESHLY oPEN gRAVE

Jun 23, 1993, 4:19:24 PM6/23/93
In article <1993Jun23.1...@gn.ecn.purdue.edu> cons...@gn.ecn.purdue.edu (Tino) writes:
>In article <Williams.7...@manna-machine.com> Williams@manna-machine.

com (fRESHLY oPEN gRAVE) writes:
>> I have a great videotape in the same vein put out by SPK. Just
>>classic SPK noise over (what else from these med-heads) effected autopsy
>>footage. It even has the autopsy again at the end with straight footage
>>and narration by the doctor (as my sampler warms up). Raw, but ever so
>>well done ;'>. Bought it right here over the net some time ago.
>>Whoever you were that sold it to me, thank you.....
>
>You're welcome. Does anyone else know of any other SPK videos out there?
>I've heard of some vile footage put out by them, including necrophilic and
>torture goodies...

Tino, Tino, hmm, oh yes! Sorry i couldn't recall the name there my good
man. I have seen a few ads from mail order houses for other SPK vids, but
never acually ordered. Shame, really. thanx again Tino!

Stephen Smith

Jun 23, 1993, 8:43:55 PM6/23/93
In article <Williams.6...@manna-machine.com> Will...@manna-machine.com (FRESHLY OPEN GRAVE) writes:
>In article <chris.740520949@Minsk> ch...@Minsk.docs.uu.se (Christian Bartholdsson ) writes:
>>
>>I had a fairly intelligent conversation with Billy via email 5-6 weeks ago
>>and it's pretty clear that he doesn't know much at all about cyberspace and
>>absolute zilch about the technology. No big surprise there (he did indeed
>>complain about the keyboard being difficult to work). The reason why the
>>reply is now automated may be that he's on a promotional tour in Europe right
>>now (just saw him on MTV the other day).
>
> I did as well, so it hasn't always been automated. I guess I wouldn't
>call it intelligent either. I just sent him scary (in an odd, not
>threatening manner) messages and he replied a few times trying to sound like
>he had a clue and was taking it all in stride. he finally got sick of my
>non-sensical letters (sometimes I even composed them in the "cut up" fashion
>using magazines, newspapers, etc..) and stopped replying. I highly
>recommend everyone doing it once he gets back to his account. Lets confuse\
>bug the hell out of the fucker for the can of worms he opened.

You really think Billy Idol is going to care if you send him "nasty
letters"? Howabout Nicky Nicky Nine Doors, or ordering pizza for his
house? At least these tactics aren't as easy to ignore as your bonehead
messages. Final word: Billy Idol is richer and more famous than you
will ever be. He must be doing something right.>

Stephen Smith

Jun 23, 1993, 8:54:23 PM6/23/93
In article <artcrrx....@gsusgi1.gsu.edu> art...@gsusgi2.gsu.edu (Clayton R. Ritter) writes:
>mer...@unkaphaed.jpunix.com (Lorne Naff) writes:
>
>> Hmmm... I actually kinda liked the song, I thought it was pretty well
>>written. The allusions to `king' were nicely done. The video was a
>>complete washout, though. Pure Billy Idoletry, his face is just to
>>adolescent for TV, especially when singing. He looked dumb. ( Yes, I
>>though of Freejack, too...)
>
>> On the subject of Mr. Idol's Cyberpunquishness, who the fuck cares?
>>If somebody wants to call themselves Cyberpunks, so be it! Did we
>>suddenly become a clique while I had my back turned? Do you have to have
>>a membership card to be a CP? I thought the originall purpose of all
>>this was so that we could learn how to controll the technology of the
>>next 20-50 years, so that we would run it, and not vice-versa. I didn' k
>>now there was a complementary game of _Cooler than Thou_. Get real
>>folks! I hate to say it, but even after the woeful Time magazine
>>article, most of the world doesn't know Jack Shit from Cyberpunk, and
>>probably won't for quite awhile. Don't worry about it. We're all still
>>here, and if the shit does hit the fan and 20,000,000,000 teeny-boppers
>>hit the net, we'll all find somewhere else to meet. We always have, and
>>we always will. If billy wants to come and play ( and make money),
>>let him, the street's big enough for us all!
>
>> Don't Warlord on Me! Mer...@unkaphead.jpunix.com Buy Cyberpunk!
>
>No, no no... Your blowing this whole issue out of focus here.. No one is
>saying that it's wrong for him to want to be a 'cyberpunk', this
>discussion is about the fact that he is taking this subculture and
>parading around like he had something to do with it when he doesn't even
>understand the scope of it- we're simply commenting on that event because
>we know the real truth while 20,000,000,000 teeny-boppers will praise him
>for the falacy he is. THAT is the exploitation and THAT is what we're
>talking about. So what if the songs are well written- he's
>got millions of bux to pay some hack who can turn on a keyboard to
>write them! Most of the world doesn't know jack shit about cyberpunk? No
>shit! That's not a problem- the people who don't know what it is don't
>matter anyway...it has nothing to do with them since 'cyberpunk'
>thrives on what they lack- usage and experience with technology (in all
>facets)as a part of everyday life, and the understanding of our technology and
>what can be done with it (even if we don't have the resources to do it yet)
>...hence Billy Idol.

Since when has understanding and relating to technonlogy become more
important and interesting than understanding and relating to people.
All this cyberpunk stuff has given you the ability to make friends with
your computer and separate these letters from the people that wrote
them. Never forget that there are real people behind these
machine-twisted messages and that ultimately, saying hello to someone on
the street is many times more enjoyable than agreeing or disagreeing
with a telnet message. You guys should get out more - you know, outside
- its the thing on the other side of the front door where all the other
people live.

Parker Whittle

Jun 24, 1993, 6:25:24 PM6/24/93
Mainstream explorations (like Billy Idol's new album or the Time
magazine article) into things cyberpunk will likely do more to:

1) promote an open and egalitarian global net,
2) encourage techno self-sufficiency among the
'lowly masses', and
3) defend constitutional rights for digital media

than any of the wild flailing-about that occurs out of the public eye among
tight-knit info-cliques who whine about intellectual and spiritual purity.

Think where Steve Jackson would be today if the high-salaried industry
heavyweights at the EFF didn't step in and make his situation an issue.
Where were all those net-god hackers when Steve needed them? If they are
in possession of such powerful tech, why couldn't they get Steve's
computers back for him?

As it turns out, the very corporate culture that the self-styled
'cyberpunks' so vehemently deride stepped in on Mr. Jackson's behalf and
did what none of the aforementioned 'cyberpunks' were capable or willing
to do.

If we are to ever build a global information net with free and open access
to both content providers and content consumers, it will be done with the
help of mainstream media and corporate representatives who bring the issue
to the general public. As long as the public is ignorant to the issues of
electronic freedom and privacy, policy makers will be more inclined to
cater to the corporate interests with their own agendas. The more people
there are on the internet, the more people there are affected by internet
policy, and the more people there are to defend freedom and diversity. And one
of the best ways to attract people to something new is to make it K00L.

The issue of technology and its relation to freedom is one that we must
take very seriously. We cannot afford to exclude anyone that can help to
bring these issues to the front of public debate -- if Billy Idol's new
album generates more curiosity, then it can only help.

--Doktor Meltdown

sh...@fallout.lonestar.org

Jun 24, 1993, 6:29:56 PM6/24/93
In article <1993Jun24....@newshub.ists.ca>, ssm...@nereid.sal.ists.ca (Stephen Smith) writes:
> In article <artcrrx....@gsusgi1.gsu.edu> art...@gsusgi2.gsu.edu (Clayton R. Ritter) writes:
>>mer...@unkaphaed.jpunix.com (Lorne Naff) writes:
>>
>>> Hmmm... I actually kinda liked the song, I thought it was pretty well
>>>written. The allusions to `king' were nicely done. The video was a
>>>complete washout, though. Pure Billy Idoletry, his face is just to
>>>adolescent for TV, especially when singing. He looked dumb. ( Yes, I
>>>though of Freejack, too...)
>>
>>> On the subject of Mr. Idol's Cyberpunquishness, who the fuck cares?
>>>If somebody wants to call themselves Cyberpunks, so be it! Did we
>>>suddenly become a clique while I had my back turned? Do you have to have
>>>a membership card to be a CP? I thought the originall purpose of all
>>>this was so that we could learn how to controll the technology of the
>>>next 20-50 years, so that we would run it, and not vice-versa. I didn' k
>>>now there was a complementary game of _Cooler than Thou_. Get real
>>>folks! I hate to say it, but even after the woeful Time magazine
>>>article, most of the world doesn't know Jack Shit from Cyberpunk, and
>>>probably won't for quite awhile. Don't worry about it. We're all still
>>>here, and if the shit does hit the fan and 20,000,000,000 teeny-boppers
>>>hit the net, we'll all find somewhere else to meet. We always have, and
>>>we always will. If billy wants to come and play ( and make money),
>>>let him, the street's big enough for us all!
>>
>>> Don't Warlord on Me! Merlin@unk
I personally believe that good old Billy is trying to make money off of a part
of society that he believes is evil (which of course it isn't) but the good
tax-paying general public would much rather see all the international networks
go down because the news media (MTV news) and other people have made most
people deathly afraid of something they don't understand

Ridley McIntyre

Jun 24, 1993, 7:21:00 AM6/24/93
In article <C90yB...@lysator.liu.se> ja...@lysator.liu.se (Jan Besehanic) writes:
>Well, it's better than Billy Idiot doing "Tetsuo meets Sonic The Hedgehog".

Fuck me if Sonic The Hedgehog *isn't* cyberpunk! He's a video star, a
cartoon character, appears on t-shirts across the globe and everyone
wants to play him... He's the Tally Isham of the 1990's! I mean, when
Tetris becomes a top ten hit single, and Super Mario Bros hits the streets
as a movie, then you *know* that Big Corporations really do exist...

--
| ^. .^ | Ridley McIntyre - gdg...@cck.cov.ac.uk | "The deadliest |
| ( @ ) | This .signature has been brought to you | bullshit is odorless |

Ridley McIntyre

Jun 24, 1993, 6:50:50 AM6/24/93
In article <207d5i$1...@slack.sim.es.com> pash...@slack.sim.es.com (Pete Ashdown) writes:
>markbr%rad...@natinst.com (mark) writes:
>
>>>order to please his publicity agent. I'd like to see William jump on the net
>>>and defend himself. Unfortunately, this will happen about the same time as
>>>pigs fly. Why? He's a moron.

Woah, confusion time! Are we talking Gibson or Idol here? If Idol, then
maybe you haven't noticed, but he's already on the net, and probably
can't come here to a.c. cos he's in Europe promoting and shit.

If Gibson, then, kiss my ass... Since when has anyone had to go somewhere
to write about it? I'm sure the people on Arrakis were saying the same
thing about Frank Herbert ("I'd like to see Frank come here and defend
himself. Unfortunately, this will happen about the same time as Mentats fly.
Why? He's a moron.") Carpe vitae, Pete, you twat, he's a fucking SF author,
not a technical writer...

Sheesh!

We now return you to your regulalry scheduled fist fuck...

Ridley McIntyre

Jun 24, 1993, 7:22:53 AM6/24/93
In article <o1TJ6B...@cybernet.cse.fau.edu> squ...@cybernet.cse.fau.edu (Dylan Greene) writes:
>Umm.. Trent reznor is the vanilla ice of industrial, why make any
>refrences to him?

Erm... I think Bruce Sterling is the vanilla ice of cyberpunk. Doesn't
mean he hasn't written a couple of cyberpunk stories.

Kevin ROOT Fluet

Jun 25, 1993, 4:51:55 AM6/25/93
al...@podbox.UUCP (Alan Hines) writes:

They did a really cheesy vid for "... And This is What the Devil Does!" from
their _I See Good Spirits and I See Bad Spirits_ album, too.

-- Kevin

Ask me about Linux, the FREE Unix clone!
Kevin Fluet Call V.A.L.I.S. Public Access Linux
fl...@ee.ualberta.ca Unlimited Free Access to Linux Files
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada (Down Temporarily) 38400 bps
kevin%valis...@scapa.CS.ualberta.ca ke...@valis.uucp

Niko Mikkanen

Jun 24, 1993, 6:56:00 AM6/24/93
mdta...@watarts.uwaterloo.ca (Mike Tancsa) writes:

> Anyways, its the intent, not the act... i.e. I use the net to be cool vs. I
> use the net to expand my personal knowledge, or a thousand other reasons...
>
> ---Mike

Which, of course, brings up the interesting question: Why do we use the
Net? Is there anyone here who actually does any work using the net, or is
it just full of students and people who hang around for the fun of it? If
so, where do they get the access? Let's have a poll, here...
I myself do not own a TV (HORROR!), and subscribe to no newspapers or
magazines (ok.ok I get a magazines from a couple of clubs I'm a member
of, but the quarterly magazine of Helsinki's Sci-Fi club hardly counts as
an information source...), so this is as good place as any to get my
disinformation... Better, in fact, because I usually get to hear at least
a couple of different opinions on things that happen, not just the
'official' version...
FYI, it's interesting to notice that lot's of news from abroad can be
read in the net at least a day or two before they appear here...

These opinions are Loony!
ObPoem:
I think of you,
therefore I excist.

(c) Citizen Kane
Cre...@swob.nullnet.fi

William Broad

Jun 25, 1993, 4:06:16 PM6/25/93

I've been cruising through alt.cyberpunk and feel compelled to respond to
the number of inaccuracies about me and my new album CYBERPUNK. First of
all, I would like someone to come forward and tell me exactly when I
called MYSELF a cyberpunk. I have never positioned myself as an expert
in this technology. Listen. I called it CYBERPUNK because I was revved
up by the DIY energy of the Gibson novels and the high-tech underground. When
I started making music in the '70s, the punk ethic was to be able to
play and sing--regardless of knowledge and talent. And, obviously, I didn't
have much of either. When I discovered that cyberpunk was carrying on the
philosophy of putting information back into the hands of the people, I got
excited. That's what I'm about. You're elitism is total bullshit. Anyone with
a modem and a computer can get into cyberspace. That's why I got in here
in the first place to share ideas instead of shutting each other out. I
ain't no rock star. I am an eager student. This way I can maneuver through
the net, learning, talking, arguing, and all of that. Basically, fuck all
of you who question my motives and/or integrity. You just don't get it.
billy idol

happy zamboni

Jun 25, 1993, 4:56:49 PM6/25/93
In article <C9716...@well.sf.ca.us> id...@well.sf.ca.us (William Broad) writes:
{william broad's defense deleted for space reasons}
At an early point in this whole mess, I stated that since I had seen
no prescence of Mr. Broad on the net, I could not respect his actions
and current work. I then stated that if he proved me wrong, in any
fashion, I would publicly apologize and retract my statements.

I have been corrected, both by him (in public, here, and in private
mail), and by others.

Thus, I would like to state my formal apology to Mr. William Broad,
Billy Idol. Whether I like or dislike his musical work is no
reason to insult him in public. It was a knee-jerk reaction,
and one that was not warranted. If I do not like his musical
work, I can exercise my right not to watch/listen to it.

Once again, I apologize.

-Eric

Tino

Jun 25, 1993, 5:02:24 PM6/25/93
In article <C9716...@well.sf.ca.us> id...@well.sf.ca.us (William Broad) writes:
>You just don't get it.
>billy idol

No, but you do.

$$$

Tino

Clayton R. Ritter

Jun 25, 1993, 6:55:49 PM6/25/93
Hell, I don't apologize. I don't care how pretty you talk, I know enough
about the music industry to know how things really work. I don't expect a
personal reply so I'm not going to do any more bashing today. This is not
a personal vendetta; you know where I stand...

PS: Granted, there has been a lot of bullshit here lately...
--
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
:: Roth Ritter ::
:: Georgia State University Art & Music ::
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Michael Kelly Larsen

Jun 25, 1993, 5:35:10 PM6/25/93
>> Anyways, its the intent, not the act... i.e. I use the net to be cool vs. I
>> use the net to expand my personal knowledge, or a thousand other reasons...
>>
>> ---Mike
>>

> Which, of course, brings up the interesting question: Why do we use the
>Net? Is there anyone here who actually does any work using the net, or is
>it just full of students and people who hang around for the fun of it? If
>so, where do they get the access? Let's have a poll, here...

O.K., if you insist...

My primary purpose for using the net is to glean information concerning
musical equipment, UNIX hacker tips, Internetworking, placing purchase
requests to other companies on the net that do business with my company,
and, most importantly, I transport SMF's to a friend of mine in Boston
and vice versa so that we can finish writing the album we've agreed to work
on together. Mind you, we've never officially met, and I'm not sure if this
project will ultimately be a success or dismal failure, but the idea behind
it is just too intriguing to pass up.

As to my setup, I have a MIDI studio that I'm hoping, with time, money, and
patience, will become a digital audio multitrack studio. The lynchpin of the
system is a PC running Cubase & SampleVision. From there, I run a coax ether-
net to a Sun 3/50, which connects up to a Telebit T3000 modem. I dial in to
my network at work, and go from there.

As an added bonus, being the fact that I have NNTPSERVER access, I drop in
from time to time and see what groups I may be able to learn some new things
from. Sometimes net news is very informative, sometimes it's a complete
waste of my time. You learn to take the good with the bad, and the bad you
write into your kill file ;-).

Oh, final note, if there are any other lunatics out there who wish to help me
in my crusade to made SMDI a standard, as well as other owners of a Peavy
DPM sampler who are willing to trade obnoxious sounds, drop me a line.
--
#include "std_disclaimer.h"
main()

Andy Wilson

Jun 25, 1993, 9:21:12 PM6/25/93

That was the only honest message in this thread. The rest have been grotesque
postures and caricatures of cybertechnosnobbery and whatnot. Why the fuck you
people spend so much time trying to impress each other? What's up with that?

I bet if someone named an album SPAM, there would be an uproar in alt.spam.

But hey, isn't that what punk is all about, shakin' folks up, pissin' em off?
I think the way you people have flipped out here in alt.cyberpunk and
rec.music.industrial is hilarious! Your precious secret order has been violated!
Let the gates open wide and the power of the Net burst forth upon the people who
will really shape its future -- creative artists, social experimenters, etc. --
into something really interesting.

&

Christopher L. Tumber

Jun 25, 1993, 11:14:29 PM6/25/93

Billy Idol writes:

>First of all, I would like someone to come forward and tell me
>exactly when I called MYSELF a cyberpunk. I have never positioned
>myself as an expert in this technology.

Look, if it was 1968, and I (god forbid!) put out and album
called "Hippie" it would be natural to make certain
assumptions about who I was. If these assumptions were false,
and I was, in fact, some member of the National Guard, or, a
college dean, don't you think there'd be a wee bit 'o backlash?

Or, if Generation X's debut album had been called "Disco Hits"
(Which, axshually coulda been cool, but, you get my point..)

>Listen. I called it CYBERPUNK because I was revved up by the
>DIY energy of the Gibson novels and the high-tech underground.

Yeh, well, you couldn't have picked a more trendoid title if
you'd called it 'Grunge'. The term's become meaningless through
over use except as the lastest 'cool' trend.

I'm surprised you didn't put in a cameo on "Wild Palms"

>When I started making music in the '70s, the punk ethic was to
>be able to play and sing--regardless of knowledge and talent.

Well, you see, here the whole POINT is knowledge and talent
(and nothing else, including cool hair..). So, just 'cuz you
got a record deal, don't expect people to welcome you with
open arms.

>When I discovered that cyberpunk was carrying on the
>philosophy of putting information back into the hands of the people, I got
>excited. That's what I'm about.

Okay, so we give you the benefit of the doubt. You're a
keener. But, like the 14 year old who gets a modem for
Christmas and expects to be some kool hacker, you're in for a
shock. If you're for real, stick around, learn some things, have
some fun. Eventually, people may even start to take you seriously,
but don't expect us to buy the hype. We're students of hype.

>You're elitism is total bullshit. Anyone with
>a modem and a computer can get into cyberspace. That's why I got in here
>in the first place to share ideas instead of shutting each other out.

But isn't it elitism to expect to be welcomed into a closed,
underground society just because you have a profile most of
the guys here only dream of? Sure, ANYBODY can buy a modem,
that doesn't guarantee they're cool, any more than owning Docs
does.

>I ain't no rock star.

Yes, you ARE.

>Basically, fuck all
>of you who question my motives and/or integrity.

So, how about putting up a FREE Nixpub with all the bucks yer
gonna rake in from this Lp? How 'bout giving everyone who posts
here a 586? Or, How 'bout speaking out on behalf of hacker's
rights, freedom of information and electronic literacy?

>You just don't get it.

Yes, we do.

It's not that I MIND being exploited by the media, hell, I
EXPECT it. It's when it's done badly that it bugs me.

Prior to the album, far as the world and the net was
concerned, you had no interest in technology. Musically, it's
the same top 40 stuff you've been doing for years. The video
(for "Shock To The System") rips off more stuff than I can list.
Of course people are gonna yell "BANDWAGON" and jump on your
ass!

Same thing woulda happened if you put out an album called
"Gangsta"

Look, if you're still around the net after the album's dropped
out of the Top 40, you can call me wrong, and say I told you so.
Until then, I remain...skeptical.

--
Chris

"The future's so bright...
I gotta wear suede"

Clayton R. Ritter

Jun 26, 1993, 12:04:51 AM6/26/93

Clear, concise, and to the point. Very well put.

Alan Hines

Jun 25, 1993, 9:41:40 PM6/25/93
ro...@valis.uucp (Kevin ROOT Fluet) writes:

>They did a really cheesy vid for "... And This is What the Devil Does!" from
>their _I See Good Spirits and I See Bad Spirits_ album, too.

Hey, I've heard about this but never seen it, which really sucks because I'd
love to have it for our TV show - can you point me in the right direction for
finding it, preferably on 3/4-ince tape or SVHS? I'd be FOREVER indebted...

Thanks in advance...

-al

Wiley Wiggins

Jun 26, 1993, 2:00:26 AM6/26/93
pash...@slack.sim.es.com (Pete Ashdown) writes:

>ea...@isolar.Tujunga.CA.US (Greg Earle) writes:
>
>>By the way, I posted this before, but I'll repeat it: after seeing Sheep On
>>Drugs at the Troubadour here in L.A., the Troub bar contained a table whose
>>occupants included: Mondo 2000's R. U. Sirius, Devo's Mark Mothersbaugh and
his

>>wife, Dr. Timothy Leary, and (seated next to Leary) ... Billy Idol.
>
>So now the question is, what was Mark Mothersbaugh doing associating with the
>rest of those pinks?

either he's infiltrating the con, he's there for the food, or he knows stuff
about these people that we don't.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

To embrace disorder both as wellspring of style and voluptuous storehouse, a
fundamental of our alien and occult civilization, our conspiratorial esthetic,
our lunatic espionage -- this is the action (let's face it) either of an artist
of some sort, or of a ten- or thirteen-year-old. -Hakim Bey

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%WEEVIL KINEVIL (Wiley Wiggins)

Paul Michael Lewis

Jun 26, 1993, 2:28:54 AM6/26/93
>ps: Granted, there has been a lot of bullshit here lately...

Yeah, the VIRTUAL kind... Funny, people in R.M.I. have their shit together
much more than the key punching dorks at a.c.

--

+-| Paul Lewis | People's Temple, Jonestown: WLVR 91.3fm Mon. 11pm-1am |-+
| 'We do it because we are compelled.' -Kovacs (Moore)| |
| 'We are alone. There is nothing else.' -Long (Moore)| |
| 'Quis custodiet ipsos custodes.' -Juvenal | |
| (Who watches the watchmen?) | |
| 'The struggle between God and man breaks -Kazantzakis | |

Christopher L. Tumber

Jun 26, 1993, 8:41:25 AM6/26/93

Roth Ritter writes:

> Clear, concise, and to the point. Very well put.

Thanks! A surprising amount of thought went into it...

I don't get off on needlessly flaming media darlings, and chasing
off people who could potentially do "the cause" a lot of good, but,
I had to point out certain realities. Sure, Billy's getting a lot
of heat, but, if he didn't expect it, his management are fools.

<Shrug>

Couple weeks and it'll all blow over. If he's serious, I
welcome him as much as anybody else. If it's just a gimmick to
make a buck I don't have big problem with that either BUT
he can expect us to notice and refuse to buy into it...

--
Chris

"The future's so bright...

I gotta wear suede."

Bruce d. Scott

Jun 26, 1993, 12:25:51 PM6/26/93
Some short questions to Billy Idol (assuming the e-mail is swamped):

(1) did you know before hand that the "Hitlergruesse" (right arm out stiffly,
slightly above horizontal, simultaneous statement "Heil Hitler") was
illegal in Germany?

(2) were you confident the authorities would just slap your wrist once they
knew who you are (the Abendzeitung claims the official didn't recognise you)?

Celebrities usually don't get damaged by Goverments--too much bad press,
you see. But would you have been so confident had you been a "normal Joe"?

--
Gruss,
Dr Bruce Scott The deadliest bullshit is

Jeff Smith

Jun 26, 1993, 3:35:02 PM6/26/93
In article <C97L0...@freenet.carleton.ca>, aa...@Freenet.carleton.ca (Christopher L. Tumber) writes:

|> Billy Idol writes:

|> >You're elitism is total bullshit. Anyone with
|> >a modem and a computer can get into cyberspace. That's why I got in here
|> >in the first place to share ideas instead of shutting each other out.
|>
|> But isn't it elitism to expect to be welcomed into a closed,
|> underground society just because you have a profile most of
|> the guys here only dream of? Sure, ANYBODY can buy a modem,
|> that doesn't guarantee they're cool, any more than owning Docs
|> does.

A closed underground society?! Oh, good grief! "No, Billy Idol,
you can't come into the clubhouse because you don't know the secret
password!"

Oh, and in answer to your question...No, it is not elitism, even
if your precious little club existed. Try a dictionary if you're
still confused.

jds

* Health and knowledge and wealth and power,
Jeff Smith * Passion and poems and sex
sm...@fl08-g.comm.mot.com * I wear a smile like a leather glove,
* I won't shut my mouth for less.
- shriekback