song with Videodrome sample

Kim Gentry

Apr 27, 1995, 3:00:00 AM4/27/95
I saw the movie Videodrome the other night, and it had a part in it that
has been sampled and put in to an industrial song. I know I have heard
the song, but I can not remember what song it was. The sample says:

"You know me, and I sure know you...every one."

I think it's in a Skinny Puppy song, but after listening to all the
Skinny Puppy I own, and most of what the radio station owns, I still
don't know what it is. So, maybe it's in a song that is by a band that
sounds a lot like Skinny Puppy, and that's why it's stuck in my head that
it is in a Skinny Puppy song.

Somebody please help me! Not knowing this is really bothering me!

Thanks so much.

Kim

*Kim | This world is just too full of stupid *
*gen...@ucs.orst.edu| people who got famous... -Durango 95 *

Jeremy M Golding

Apr 28, 1995, 3:00:00 AM4/28/95
I am not sure about the quote you are looking for, but there IS a Skinny
Puppy song with a Videodrome sample in it. At the very beginning of "The
Drain," VERY quiet, you can hear the line (I think it's James Woods):
"You'll forgive me if I don't stick around and watch. I just can't cope
with the freaky stuff."

Peter Cigehn

Apr 28, 1995, 3:00:00 AM4/28/95
Kim Gentry (gen...@ucs.orst.edu) wrote:
: I saw the movie Videodrome the other night, and it had a part in it that
: has been sampled and put in to an industrial song. I know I have heard
: the song, but I can not remember what song it was. The sample says:

: "You know me, and I sure know you...every one."

: I think it's in a Skinny Puppy song, but after listening to all the
: Skinny Puppy I own, and most of what the radio station owns, I still
: don't know what it is. So, maybe it's in a song that is by a band that
: sounds a lot like Skinny Puppy, and that's why it's stuck in my head that
: it is in a Skinny Puppy song.

: Somebody please help me! Not knowing this is really bothering me!

: Thanks so much.

How come I recognize this so well! ;-) You're not the first to have
had this experience. Here is my story about when this happened to me.

[This is the true story about the birth of the Top Sample Sources List]

One night 2 years ago, I watched TV and got stuck with the movie
Videodrome. When I watched the movie I recognized three samples that
I've heard somewhere before, although I couldn't remember where I've
header the third of these samples. So on February the 8:th 1993, today
exactly 2 years ago, I posted the following article to r.m.i asking for
the missing information:

> Newsgroups: rec.music.industrial
> Subject: Identifying samples from the movie "Videodrome"
>
> I've just seen the Canadian movie "Videodrome" from 1982, directed
> by David Cronenburg, and recognised at least 3 samples.
>
> The first sample: "Forgive me if I don't stay around to watch. I just
> can't cope with freaky stuff..." found in the beginning of Skinny Puppy's
> "Draining Faces" from Cleanse Fold and Manipulate.
>
> The second sample: "See you in Pittsburgh..." including the exploding
> sound at the very end of Cyberaktif's "Face to Face" from Tenebrae Vision.
>
> The third sample: "You know me, and I sure know everyone of you..." (or
> something like that) is so familiar to me, but I can't remember where
> I've heard it. But since the first two apparently have been sampled by
> cEvin Key, it's likely that the third one is it too.
>
> Anyone that can tell me where I've heard the third sample?
>
> --
> Peter Cigehn "I don't think that the real violence has
> even started yet..." - Front Line Assembly

I quickly received a few answers telling me that it was Front 242 that
had used the third sample. At this point I've gotten rather fascinated
that I've had discovered a movie that been sampled by 3 *different*
artist (or 2 depending how you count). So I decided that I should
find out if it existed more movies that was even more heavily sampled
than Videodrome. Two days later, the Februray the 10:th 1993 I posted
the absolutely first version of the Top Sample Sources List:

> Newsgroups: rec.music.industrial
> Subject: Sample Source Movies
>
> Since I now know that samples from "Videodrome" exists in three different
> songs from three different artists, I got curious to find out which movie
> is the most popular sample source among our beloved "industrial" artists.
>
> Please help me compile a list of the most popular sample source movies and
> send me all information you've got regarding the movie, the actual sampled
> line, the artist, the song and the album. Send it directly to me by E-mail,
> and I will then post the completed list.
>
> So far I've only got one entry in my list:
>
> 1. Videodrome (3 artists)
> "Forgive me if I don't stay around to watch,
> I just can't cope with freaky stuff..."
> - Skinny Puppy, Draining Faces, Cleanse Fold and Manipulate.
>
> "See you in Pittsburgh..."
> - Cyberaktif, Face to Face, Tenebrae Vision.
>
> "You know me... (yeah we know you), and I sure know you - everyone!"
> - Front 242, Masterhit, Official Version.
>
> So, let us select the most popular "industrial" movie (based on how
> frequently it's sampled at least)...
>
> --
> Peter Cigehn "I feel much better now..." - Skinny Puppy

From that on the list has just been growing, and today we have the
Top 304 Sample Sources List and the Top 284 Sampling Groups List.

/Peter Cigehn

--
| Peter Cigehn, Erisoft AB, Box 4205, S-904 06 Umea, Sweden |
| E-mail: Peter....@um.erisoft.se | Memo: ERI.EPL.EPLPC |

Christopher A. Woodfield

Apr 29, 1995, 3:00:00 AM4/29/95

> From that on the list has just been growing, and today we have the
> Top 304 Sample Sources List and the Top 284 Sampling Groups List.
>
> /Peter Cigehn
>
> --
> | Peter Cigehn, Erisoft AB, Box 4205, S-904 06 Umea, Sweden |
> | E-mail: Peter....@um.erisoft.se | Memo: ERI.EPL.EPLPC |
> | Phone: +46 90 15 30 00 | Fax: +46 90 15 30 99 |
> | Direct: +46 90 15 30 11 | Home: +46 90 13 68 01 |

So where is the list?

--
Christopher A. Woodfield - rek...@charm.net --- http://www.charm.net/~rekoil
---------------------------------------

Daanon DeCock

Apr 29, 1995, 3:00:00 AM4/29/95
Jeremy M Golding (jgol...@twain.oit.umass.edu) wrote:
: I am not sure about the quote you are looking for, but there IS a Skinny
: Puppy song with a Videodrome sample in it. At the very beginning of "The
: Drain," VERY quiet, you can hear the line (I think it's James Woods):
: "You'll forgive me if I don't stick around and watch. I just can't cope
: with the freaky stuff."

Well you can also add "Long the new flesh," which appears in a few
songs, right now I can only think of EMF (ack!) un I think either
Children or I Believe.

Then on a much cooler note there is in Front 242's Masterhit,"You know
me, and I sure know you, everyone of you!"

--
-jade
email ja...@primenet.com

Balance23

Apr 30, 1995, 3:00:00 AM4/30/95
Actually, it's not James Woods who says, "Excuse me if I don't ......",
it's Barry Convex. Psychic Television has also used several Videodrome
samples over the years.

Diana Balance

Richard Gallart

May 1, 1995, 3:00:00 AM5/1/95
In <3np51d$o...@gaia.ucs.orst.edu> gen...@ucs.orst.edu (Kim Gentry)
writes:

>I saw the movie Videodrome the other night, and it had a part in it
that
>has been sampled and put in to an industrial song. I know I have
heard
>the song, but I can not remember what song it was. The sample says:
>
>"You know me, and I sure know you...every one."
>
>I think it's in a Skinny Puppy song, but after listening to all the
>Skinny Puppy I own, and most of what the radio station owns, I still
>don't know what it is. So, maybe it's in a song that is by a band
that
>sounds a lot like Skinny Puppy, and that's why it's stuck in my head
that
>it is in a Skinny Puppy song.
>
>Somebody please help me! Not knowing this is really bothering me!
>
>Thanks so much.
>
>Kim
>
>--
> *Kim | This world is just too full of stupid *
> *gen...@ucs.orst.edu| people who got famous... -Durango 95 *
It's on a Front 242 album. Though I canot remember. I'll post it when
it hits me. I think it was their 2nd or 3rd album.

david r. clark

May 1, 1995, 3:00:00 AM5/1/95
On 1 May 1995, Richard Gallart wrote: > gen...@ucs.orst.edu (Kim Gentry) writes: > >I saw the movie Videodrome the other night, and it had a part in it > that > >has been sampled and put in to an industrial song. I know I have > heard > >the song, but I can not remember what song it was. The sample says: > >"You know me, and I sure know you...every one." it's "Masterhit" off of _Official Version_ by Front 242 > >I think it's in a Skinny Puppy song, but after listening to all the > >Skinny Puppy I own, and most of what the radio station owns, I still > >don't know what it is. So, maybe it's in a song that is by a band > that > >sounds a lot like Skinny Puppy, and that's why it's stuck in my head > that > >it is in a Skinny Puppy song. i don't think it was in a Skinny Puppy song. and 242 doesn't really sound like Skinny Puppy, but whatever... > >Somebody please help me! Not knowing this is really bothering me! i understand. really. :) > It's on a Front 242 album. Though I canot remember. I'll post it when > it hits me. I think it was their 2nd or 3rd album. little later than that...they had a lot of ep's...(or if you are going by the reprints that sony did, it's the 4th album...) later, david [1;34m _________ [1;36mdrums/programming/samples for [1;34m / / \ \ [1;36mSONiC NEUROtOXiN [1;36mthE [1;34m/ / \ \ [1;36m_____ [1;34m/_/ [1;36m__ _ [1;34m\_\ [1;36m__ _____ [1;36m| |\ \ [1;34m\ \ [1;36m\ \ // [1;34m/ [1;36m_ | | |\ \ [1;36m| | \ \ [1;34m\ \ [1;36m\ \// [1;34m/ / [1;36m_| | | | \ \ [1;36m|_|_/_/ [1;34m\_\ [1;36m\_/ [1;34m/_/ [1;36m|_| |_|_/_/ [1;34m ______\ \___/ /______ [1;34m (_________ _________) [1;34m | | [1;34m | | [1;36mEMAiL: [1;35mMO...@GROvE.UfL.EdU [1;34m | | [1;36mMO...@gROVe.uFl.edU [1;34m | | [1;34m | | [1;36m"MOMENt Of tERROR iS thE bEGiNNiNG Of LifE" [1;34m | | [1;36m--WiLLiAM HURt, _ALtEREd StAtES_ [1;34m | | [1;34m \_/ [1;36mViSit: [1;35mhttP://GRoVE.ufL.Edu/~MordEth

Steven A Targo

May 1, 1995, 3:00:00 AM5/1/95
there have been a lot of samples from this excellent movie:

Cyberaktif (which, if we're all confused about SP, might be of interest to
those who don't know that this is a project w/SP members and Bill Leeb of
FLA) -- song: "Face To Face" sample: "see you in Pittsburg...<explosion>"
song: Ruptured Freaks (i think?) sample: "what's in the box...you're head
(is changed and spliced for the song to say "what's in you're head...the
box")

Skinny Puppy (yes, they did sample from Videodrome) -- song: "Fritter
(Stella's Home)" sample: "you'll forgive me if i don't stand around to
watch; i just can't cope with freaky stuff"

and... some other things i can't remember right now -- anyone else know
what i'm talking about?

steve

Peter Cigehn

May 1, 1995, 3:00:00 AM5/1/95
Christopher A. Woodfield (rek...@charm.net) wrote:
: >
: > From that on the list has just been growing, and today we have the

: > Top 304 Sample Sources List and the Top 284 Sampling Groups List.
: >
:
: So where is the list?

The latest versions of the lists was posted to r.m.i exactly two weeks ago,
and it can also be found on the Web at the following locations:

Supplier: d9...@efd.lth.se

Supplier: ed...@alkymi.unit.no

Supplier: a...@ee.pdx.edu

Supplier: etit...@phobos.astro.uwo.ca

Supplier: mon...@cis.ufl.edu

Daanon DeCock

May 2, 1995, 3:00:00 AM5/2/95
Richard Gallart (ric...@ix.netcom.com) wrote:
: In <3np51d$o...@gaia.ucs.orst.edu> gen...@ucs.orst.edu (Kim Gentry)

: writes:
: >
[...]

: >--
: > *******************************************************************
: > *Kim | This world is just too full of stupid *
: > *gen...@ucs.orst.edu| people who got famous... -Durango 95 *
: > *******************************************************************
: It's on a Front 242 album. Though I canot remember. I'll post it when

: it hits me. I think it was their 2nd or 3rd album.

Its on Official Version, the song is Masterhit.

--
-jade
email ja...@primenet.com

Msign

May 2, 1995, 3:00:00 AM5/2/95
It's from "Masterhit", from the Official Version album. Please forward a
gold star for me to affix to my forehead!

Kim Gentry

May 2, 1995, 3:00:00 AM5/2/95
In article <3o3f86$h...@uwm.edu>,

Steven A Targo <joh...@alpha1.csd.uwm.edu> wrote:
>there have been a lot of samples from this excellent movie:

I wouldn't call it an excellent movie, but it was definitely odd.

Anyway, thanks to all of you who emailed me with the answer or posted. I
appreciate it a lot and now I can sleep at night.

Oh, and I didn't know about the samples list, or else I would have
checked there first. :)

Kim

--
Kim * "I don't even think that you can get an
gen...@ucs.orst.edu * erection, without looking in the mirror

sds...@ocvaxa.cc.oberlin.edu

May 4, 1995, 3:00:00 AM5/4/95
In article <3o6a9v$j...@gaia.ucs.orst.edu>, gen...@ucs.orst.edu (Kim Gentry) writes:
>In article <3o3f86$h...@uwm.edu>,
>Steven A Targo <joh...@alpha1.csd.uwm.edu> wrote:
>>there have been a lot of samples from this excellent movie:
>>

>I wouldn't call it an excellent movie, but it was definitely odd.

videodrome may not be "excellent" but its still a great fucking movie, you
should come out to oberlin next year and take my "The Films of David
Cronenberg" class. Second Semester.

-dan

jon...@gmail.com

Dec 18, 2018, 9:55:24 PM12/18/18
Front 242 - Masterhit

Gurby

Dec 28, 2022, 7:47:33 PM12/28/22
On Thursday, 27 April 1995 at 01:00:00 UTC-6, Kim Gentry wrote:
> I saw the movie Videodrome the other night, and it had a part in it that
> has been sampled and put in to an industrial song. I know I have heard
> the song, but I can not remember what song it was. The sample says:
> "You know me, and I sure know you...every one."
> I think it's in a Skinny Puppy song, but after listening to all the
> Skinny Puppy I own, and most of what the radio station owns, I still
> don't know what it is. So, maybe it's in a song that is by a band that
> sounds a lot like Skinny Puppy, and that's why it's stuck in my head that
> it is in a Skinny Puppy song.
> Somebody please help me! Not knowing this is really bothering me!
> Thanks so much.
> Kim
> --
> *Kim | This world is just too full of stupid *
> *gen...@ucs.orst.edu| people who got famous... -Durango 95 *

The song you're thinking of it called Masterhit by Front 242