Origins of Sister Machine Gun's name?

BLANC SEAN LE

Aug 22, 1994, 1:36:24 PM8/22/94
Did Sister Machine Gun get their name from Skinny Puppy lyrics?

Doesn't Ogre say "sister machine gun" somewhere on Rabies?

Or is this purely coincidence?

Your help will be appreciated,

Nothing to do but :) (defun .sig (quote)
Sean LeBlanc (list (Now the News) (Is just) (Another) (Show)
sxl...@psuvm.psu.edu (with) (Sex) (and) (Violence)) )
(defun philosophy (dig_it) (list (Keep your values) (off my family)
(Keep your laws) (off my brain)) )

Fear is the MindKIller

Aug 22, 1994, 10:12:23 PM8/22/94

Yes. the "sister machine gun" line appears in TIN OMEN off of
_Rabies_.

-r

Jake

Aug 24, 1994, 9:33:00 PM8/24/94
In article <33blu7$p...@usenet.rpi.edu>, vig...@rebecca.its.rpi.edu (Fear
is the MindKIller) wrote:

> sxl...@farman.cac.psu.edu (BLANC SEAN LE) writes:
>
> >Did Sister Machine Gun get their name from Skinny Puppy lyrics?
>
> >Doesn't Ogre say "sister machine gun" somewhere on Rabies?
>
> >Or is this purely coincidence?
>
> >Your help will be appreciated,

The name comes from an essay on comparitive economics written by Jim
Marcus from Die Warzau. He used it as an extension of a philosophy by
georges bataille called neo-copernicanism. It outlines the various ways
that we use to create familiarity with the means of our own destruction as
producers of goods. The full term is "Sister Machine Gun- Brother Bomb".
Skinny Puppy may have gotten the lyric by extrapolation from the same
principal or from the essay itself.

Thomas Jay Pachner

Aug 27, 1994, 2:52:29 PM8/27/94
From article <33anmo$10...@hearst.cac.psu.edu>, by sxl...@farman.cac.psu.edu (BLANC SEAN LE):

> Did Sister Machine Gun get their name from Skinny Puppy lyrics?
> Doesn't Ogre say "sister machine gun" somewhere on Rabies?

Chorus of "Tin Omen".

-beatpunk

Chris Seamans

Aug 29, 1994, 3:22:00 AM8/29/94
-> > Did Sister Machine Gun get their name from Skinny Puppy lyrics? >
-> Doesn't Ogre say "sister machine gun" somewhere on Rabies?
->
-> Chorus of "Tin Omen".

Yes, Ogre says 'sister machine gun' in Tin Omen, but, in an interview
with Tin Omen in the magazine 'Permission' (I don't have the issue lying
around, its upstairs somewhere), they say they DIDN'T get the name from
the Skinny Puppy song. They said it was from an essay called 'Sister
machine gun, brother bomb' or something like that...
Alright, I have the interview here, and I quote:

"That's where the name Sister Machine Gun actually came from;
that's a chunk of paper he [Jim Marcus, artist, has done covers and
artwork for bands, did covers for Die Warzau] wrote in college called
'Sister Machine Gun, Brother Bomb' about it being necessary to have wars
and religions to use up excess money. That's where Skinny Puppy got
their Sister Machine Gun, and that's where everyone thinks I got MY
Sister Machine Gun. So we put that in there just to nip this whole SMG
rippin' off Skinny Puppy thing in the bud."

So anyway, either way, that's where it came from, I guess...

Daniel Boardman

Aug 29, 1994, 3:59:18 AM8/29/94
Skinny Puppy may have got their "Sister machine gun" lyrics from
that essay, amybe they didn't. SMG themselves got theirs from the
Puppy song itself, not from the essay. Here's a quote from
Industrial Nation from one of the SMG guys himself:

IN Issue 8, page 25:

IN: It's got a long wait there. A question a fan has asked and I'm
sure you got this question before, but where is your name taken
from, is it taken from a Puppy song, Tin Omen?

Chris(Randall): (Nods in agreement)

IN: O.K. that question is answered, no more time wasted there...

Chris: It's funny because "My Sisters Machine", ive heard
from a couple people, is in the process of getting a cease and
desist order against us. Ive never heard of them, they're like
some glam rock band from out west, we're an industrial band from
New York. I can show them the lyric sheet from where the name comes.
(Skinny Puppy) would have given me a hard time then on that, I
dont know them very well, but I know them well enough to have known
if they we're mad (about the band name) as far as I know, they arn't.
The way Wax Trax! told me, if it was worth fighting for the name,
then they would. Otherwise it would have been S.M.G.

[End quote]

There you go. They did not, obviously get their name from some lame
essay. They got their name from a band they admire most likely.
I see nothing wrong with it. Both the bands are friggen great.

--
boar...@cs.wisc.edu
:::: ::::

Big Daddy Ed

Aug 29, 1994, 6:14:12 PM8/29/94
Daniel Boardman (boar...@sun33.cs.wisc.edu) wrote:
: Skinny Puppy may have got their "Sister machine gun" lyrics from

: Chris(Randall): (Nods in agreement)

: [End quote]

Hmmm. Since I'm the one who did the Permission interview (in which Chris
told me otherwise) I feel a bit goofy. What's the deal Chris?
By the way, would somebody please spank Jayson Elliot for not sending
me a copy of the magazine my interview appeared in?
-Ed
Arts Industria

Jake

Aug 30, 1994, 11:32:20 AM8/30/94
I wrote the essay in Question. An excerpt of it appears on the inside of
SMG's album "the Torture Technique" . It concerns The origins of Potlach-
a system by which goods are destroyed in order to attain rank. Potlach in
varying forms is practiced by every culture on this planet including ours.
The essay is an estension of principals established by Georges Bataille
called "neo-copernican economics" where he discusses incipient familiarity
with the means of destruction for the individual laborer. I took the idea
one step further using modern terminology to explain how the government
uses this familiarity to create a fondness for the instruments of
destruction themselves. Reading "The Accursed Share" parts 1 through 3
would be a good start if you'd like to learn more about this. The members
of Skinny Puppy are also interested in Georges Battaille and (I'm
guessing) made the same rhetorical leap that I did in describing the
familial dysfunction inherint in the system I called "Sister Machine Gun/
Brother Bomb". This wasn't a college essay- it's a published work that is
also a chapter in my up-coming book "America Union Babel". Chris has told
me that this is where the name comes from.

Michael Poidinger

Aug 31, 1994, 6:44:57 AM8/31/94
In article <cylus66-3008...@cylus66.pr.mcs.net> cyl...@mcs.com (Jake) writes:
>From: cyl...@mcs.com (Jake)
>Subject: Re: Origins of Sister Machine Gun's name?
>Date: 30 Aug 1994 15:32:20 GMT

[definitive stuff on SMG deleted]

Well kewl. That's that. Now anyone got origins for Skinny Puppy, Frontline
Assembly, Front 242, Nitzer Ebb etc etc?

Mike

Dr Mike Poidinger
Microbiology, UWA ==> Animal Welfare NOT Animal Rights
Australia ==> Sonic the Hedgehog says "It's your cone"
mi...@uniwa.uwa.edu.au

Cullen Nawalkowsky

Aug 30, 1994, 10:29:38 PM8/30/94
Big Daddy Ed (efin...@sun1.iusb.indiana.edu) wrote:
: Daniel Boardman (boar...@sun33.cs.wisc.edu) wrote:

: : IN Issue 8, page 25:

: : IN: It's got a long wait there. A question a fan has asked and I'm
: : sure you got this question before, but where is your name taken
: : from, is it taken from a Puppy song, Tin Omen?

: : Chris(Randall): (Nods in agreement)

: : IN: O.K. that question is answered, no more time wasted
there...

(etc)
: : [End quote]

: : There you go. They did not, obviously get their name from some lame
: : essay. They got their name from a band they admire most likely.
: : I see nothing wrong with it. Both the bands are friggen great.

: Hmmm. Since I'm the one who did the Permission interview (in which Chris
: told me otherwise) I feel a bit goofy. What's the deal Chris?
: By the way, would somebody please spank Jayson Elliot for not sending
: me a copy of the magazine my interview appeared in?
: -Ed
: Arts Industria

No lie! I, too, wrote for that magazine and didn't get a copy
although i wrote for them... no big deal, because Jayson got me and a
friend into that Procession show for free; he told me that he sold out
of copies of the mag and couldn't send them to everybody. I can't
even get in touch w/ the guy at this point because he's moved... ah
well.

Droppin' phat gothic noise-grind straight at your ass for the 9-four
cna...@freenet.scri.fsu.edu
cnawal...@hamp.hampshire.edu
ado...@cellar.org

I am totally clueless about what to write at the moment, but i'm
putting this up anyway. Oh my adoring public! How i love thee.

Susan Roston

Aug 30, 1994, 11:43:41 PM8/30/94
In article <mikep.118...@uniwa.uwa.edu.au>,

Michael Poidinger <mi...@uniwa.uwa.edu.au> wrote:

>Well kewl. That's that. Now anyone got origins for Skinny Puppy, Frontline
>Assembly, Front 242, Nitzer Ebb etc etc?

skinny puppy--isn't this a term for someone who is on drugs?? heroine
specifically?? aside from that, dwayne and cevin said in the High Times
interview that someone posted to alt.fan.skinny that they have always tried
towrite songs from the perspective of a dog. the song k-9 is supposed to be
like this anyway(since most of the songs it seems doubtful for). but I can
ssee that for k=9, "staring through the keyhole, watching master beating her,
has to be a reason. . . .etc"

FLA= take Line Assembly which sounds neat and industrial and Frontline which
implies war and also sounds neat and insutrial. . .anyone else?? that is a
guess

and 242-someone said soemtime ago that it was based on UN Resolution 242 which
has something to do with Israel and the Palestinian situation.

--mike roston--the once and future ending--

Cap'n Steubing

Aug 31, 1994, 12:37:22 AM8/31/94
Susan Roston (sro...@merle.acns.nwu.edu) wrote:
: In article <mikep.118...@uniwa.uwa.edu.au>,

: Michael Poidinger <mi...@uniwa.uwa.edu.au> wrote:
: >
: >Well kewl. That's that. Now anyone got origins for Skinny Puppy, Frontline
: >Assembly, Front 242, Nitzer Ebb etc etc?

: and 242-someone said soemtime ago that it was based on UN Resolution 242 which

: has something to do with Israel and the Palestinian situation.

UN Resolution 242 created the state of Israel after WWII, didn't it?

I also thought of this association myself after hearing Front 242's 'Commando'
album, and especially the 'Khadafi' song on the 12".

-Chris

--
/------------------------------------------------------\
| ...we have concealed the vital evidence |

Gabriel Millerd

Aug 31, 1994, 4:11:15 PM8/31/94
Susan Roston (sro...@merle.acns.nwu.edu) wrote:
: skinny puppy--isn't this a term for someone who is on drugs?? heroine

: specifically?? aside from that, dwayne and cevin said in the High Times
: interview that someone posted to alt.fan.skinny that they have always tried
: towrite songs from the perspective of a dog. the song k-9 is supposed to be
: like this anyway(since most of the songs it seems doubtful for). but I can
: ssee that for k=9, "staring through the keyhole, watching master beating her,
: has to be a reason. . . .etc"

from the perspective of vivisect-ioned animals. puppy is very
anti- animal cruelty and skinny puppy came from k9, shich is about just
such evil act occuring.
--
[PGP 2.6c Encryption Key Block Requestable] [SWM/s ISO **F/d] [HateSlut@IRC]
[Anonymous Email Available] [Fluent in: Amiga,TeX,C,C++,OOPS,Eng,Ksh,PGP,WP]

Phil Yurchuk

Aug 31, 1994, 4:13:47 PM8/31/94
In article <DANIEL.94A...@sanna.preseco.comm.se>, dan...@sanna.preseco.comm.se (Daniel Jönsson) writes:
|> > Susan Roston (sro...@merle.acns.nwu.edu) wrote:
|> > : In article <mikep.118...@uniwa.uwa.edu.au>,
|> > : Michael Poidinger <mi...@uniwa.uwa.edu.au> wrote:
|> > : >
|> > : >Well kewl. That's that. Now anyone got origins for Skinny Puppy, Frontline
|> > : >Assembly, Front 242, Nitzer Ebb etc etc?
|> >
|> > : and 242-someone said soemtime ago that it was based on UN Resolution 242 which
|> > : has something to do with Israel and the Palestinian situation.
|> >
|> > UN Resolution 242 created the state of Israel after WWII, didn't it?
|> >
|> > I also thought of this association myself after hearing Front 242's 'Commando'
|> > album, and especially the 'Khadafi' song on the 12".
|> >
|> > -Chris
|>
|> According to an interview with one of the band members (MTV 120 Minutes, about
|> 6 months ago), they only wanted something that "sounded good, and 242 does".
|> This may be true, but who knows... Why should they want to hide references
|> like the one above (Israel/Palestine, I thought of it myself), I've always had

I've heard that they try hard to stay away from any political statement, so that could be one answer. Another is that maybe they just don't want to tell MTV anything. En Esch (or was it Sasha?) told some cheesy entertainment magazine that KMFDM didn't mean anything, and we all know that's bull.

|> the feeling that they're a band which plenty artistic integrity. In the
|> re-realases of the old records on CD a flyer was included stating basically
|> that F242 opposes all connections to "facism, and other right-wing doctrines",
|> that they "wish to explore the moral grounds of our society" and blames
|> journalists for missquotes (I'm not sure all quotes are 100% correct, I can
|> mail the entire text to anyone interested).
|>
|> /Daniel of Black Light
|> (dan...@elsa.preseco.comm.se)
|>
|> "One: you lock the target, two: you bait the line,
|> three: you slowly spread the net and four: you catch the man"
|> - "Headhunter" by Front 242
|>
|> "Hot sun, global fun
|> Needed action, start to run"
|> - "Tragedy for you" by Front 242

Phil

lo...@spin.chem.utah.edu

Aug 31, 1994, 9:20:19 PM8/31/94
In article <342o9r$q...@usenet.rpi.edu>, yur...@cii3112-10.its.rpi.edu (Phil Yurchuk) writes:
> En Esch (or was it Sasha?) told some cheesy entertainment magazine that KMFDM > didn't mean anything, and we all know that's bull.

Of course, 'cos it means everything you can fit in.

| This is LOCKE |
| email lo...@fiasko.physik.uni-jena.de |
| o...@rz.uni-jena.de |

Chris Seamans

Sep 1, 1994, 2:00:00 AM9/1/94
-> IN: It's got a long wait there. A question a fan has asked and I'm
-> sure you got this question before, but where is your name taken from,
-> is it taken from a Puppy song, Tin Omen?
-> Chris(Randall): (Nods in agreement)

I dunno, what I quoted was from the magazine Permission, and it was ALSO
an interview with Chris Randall. I am going by what I have read, and
also what I have in my hands. I just did look at the interview with
Chris Randall of SMG in Permission, and it still said exactly what I
wrote.
Apparently though, its not a matter of me saying this, its a matter of
Chris Randall saying it, since it WAS from an interview with him.
But then again, I have also read a ton of other interviews with other
people where they contradict themselves from article to article.
Anyhow, I don't know why you have to take such a defensive attitude.

-> There you go. They did not, obviously get their name from some lame
-> essay. They got their name from a band they admire most likely. I see
-> nothing wrong with it. Both the bands are friggen great.

Well, at this point, I'm confused, so, to be honest, I don't know. In
two different interviews with two different magazines the same guy said
two different things...
Also, I never said there was anything wrong with it, any text concerning
the SMG/Skinny Puppy thing was text from an interview with Chris Randall
and I assume, since all of the other responses in that interview were
from Chris Randall, that that was in fact Chris Randall saying that.
Also, as far as the essay, I haven't read it, so I don't know if its
'lame'. If in fact Skinny Puppy got inspiration from it, and it caused
Chris to name his band Sister Machine Gun, then I would guess it
probably ISN'T lame.
And on the last point, Skinny Puppy is great, I agree... I haven't
heard enough Sister Machine Gun to really make a judgement, although I
haven't been impressed by what I've heard...

Adam J Weitzman

Sep 1, 1994, 10:22:20 AM9/1/94
In article <340u9d$s...@news.acns.nwu.edu> sro...@merle.acns.nwu.edu (Susan Roston) writes:
>In article <mikep.118...@uniwa.uwa.edu.au>,
>Michael Poidinger <mi...@uniwa.uwa.edu.au> wrote:
>>Well kewl. That's that. Now anyone got origins for Skinny Puppy, Frontline
>>Assembly, Front 242, Nitzer Ebb etc etc?
>
>and 242-someone said soemtime ago that it was based on UN Resolution 242 which
>has something to do with Israel and the Palestinian situation.

Boy, this rumor never dies, does it? Can we put this in the FAQ,
please?

According to an interview, they picked the word "front" because it
that word means the same thing in many languages. As for "242", it
sounds good. No other meaning behind it.

--
- Adam J Weitzman
INDIVIDUAL, Inc.

Ryan Bobko

Sep 1, 1994, 6:27:35 PM9/1/94

John Vulich

Sep 2, 1994, 5:11:10 AM9/2/94
Adam J Weitzman <weit...@individual.com> writes:

>According to an interview, they picked the word "front" because it
>that word means the same thing in many languages. As for "242", it
>sounds good. No other meaning behind it.

I could have sworn that FRONT 242 came from a Burroughs novel.

JV

Johan Andersson

Sep 2, 1994, 4:50:45 AM9/2/94

The story I heard on "242" is that there is some UN-decleration #242...

Johan A

---
Postal address: Visiting address: Phone: +46(0)18 185000 Email:
MIMER Software AB Islandsgatan 2 Direct: +46(0)18 185158 jo...@mimer.se
Box 1713 Uppsala Fax: +46(0)18 185100
S-751 47 Uppsala
Sweden

Jan de Vaan

Sep 1, 1994, 10:55:59 AM9/1/94
On the topic of bandnames:

Mussolini Headkick had the courtesy to explain it's name in the booklet of
their "blood on the flag" (debut?) CD.
When Mussolini died (I believe he shot himself at the end of WW II) the old
resistance got hold of the body, and gave the citizens of Rome a chance to
kick the head of their hated dictator. Neat story huh.

But let's talk about this band: Do they still exist? Are there more records?
Do they ever go on tour?
I can recommend the cd: millitant, pounding, industrial; not too techno and
quite versatile.

Jan.
--
Jan de Vaan
"I'm so _hip_ I can hardly see over my pelvis."

Jan de Vaan

Sep 1, 1994, 10:06:24 AM9/1/94
In article <341d7u$f...@galaxy.ucr.edu> c...@wintermute.ucr.edu (Christopher Cates) writes:

[Discussion on Front 242 band name origin]

>Not quite. Resolution 242 was supposed to bring peace between Israeel
>and its arab neighbors. It called for withdrawl of Israeli forces from
>the occupied territories among other things. Later on, Resolution
>338 would go on to just reaffirm what had already been stated in 242,
>but until recently, both were basically ignored except for when convient
>to someone's political posturing.
>
>: I also thought of this association myself after hearing Front 242's 'Commando'

>: album, and especially the 'Khadafi' song on the 12".
>

>Unfortunately, I have no idea if this has anything to do with Front242,
>but I've always kinda assumed it did.

I can confirm this.
According to a dutch Radio DJ (Gerard J. Walhof), the "242" does refer to UN
resolution 242.
I believe he is well aquainted with the band members, so I say we trust him.

Marten Sahlen

Sep 2, 1994, 2:16:38 PM9/2/94
In rec.music.industrial we just heard dev...@prl.philips.nl (Jan de Vaan) say:

>Mussolini Headkick had the courtesy to explain it's name in the booklet of
>their "blood on the flag" (debut?) CD.
>When Mussolini died (I believe he shot himself at the end of WW II) the old
>resistance got hold of the body, and gave the citizens of Rome a chance to
>kick the head of their hated dictator. Neat story huh.

There is another fact that may have influenced their choice of bandname. One
of Cabaret Voltaires early singles, 'Extended Play' from 1978 or so, had a song
on it called "Do The Mussolini (Headkick)". Now I've never heard this band, so
I don't know if they're influenced by the Cab's musically. But it seems very
plausible that they ripped the name of that song, whether they were looking up
to CV or not.

--
>>>-----Ellemtel Telecom Systems Lab, Box 1505, S-125 25 Alvsjo, Sweden------<<<
>>--------------------"An apple a day keeps the doctor away-------------------<<
>--------an orgasm a day keeps the psychiatrist away" - Dusan Makavejev--------<

Chris Mich Georgoulias

Sep 2, 1994, 3:22:04 PM9/2/94

In article <347q66$q...@euas20.eua.ericsson.se>, etx...@eua.ericsson.se (Marten Sahlen) writes:

|>There is another fact that may have influenced their choice of bandname. One
|>of Cabaret Voltaires early singles, 'Extended Play' from 1978 or so, had a song
|>on it called "Do The Mussolini (Headkick)". Now I've never heard this band, so
|>I don't know if they're influenced by the Cab's musically. But it seems very
|>plausible that they ripped the name of that song, whether they were looking up
|>to CV or not.

Sounds like a case of 'sister machine gun' to me......

But for the record, i don't find MH very interesting to listen to. It seems
like they want to be hard but just can't manage it. They are a bit militant
in sound, but just not powerful.

But i haven't gotten rid of the cd yet so i haven't given up hope.......yet.

But for the record i do recall seeing another album besides _Blood on the Flag_

-chris

+ Chris Georgoulias | "When will I learn? The answer to life's +
+ N.C. State University | problems aren't at the bottom of a bottle. +
+ cmg...@eos.ncsu.edu | They're on TV!" -Homer Simpson +

Tom Shear

Sep 2, 1994, 3:30:09 PM9/2/94
In article <1994Sep1.1...@prl.philips.nl>, dev...@prl.philips.nl
(Jan de Vaan) writes:

>Mussolini Headkick had the courtesy to explain it's name in the booklet

>of their "blood on the flag" (debut?) CD.When Mussolini died (I believe

he >shot himself at the end of WW II) the old resistance got hold of the
body, >and gave the citizens of Rome a chance to kick the head of their
hated >dictator. Neat story huh.

This is also the title of an old Cabaret Voltaire song..."(Do The)
Mussolini Headkick"...

Jason Bagley

Sep 2, 1994, 9:01:11 PM9/2/94
What I know about Skinny Puppy's name. As usual, I cannot remember where
I read or heard about his, possibly B-Side, possibly a radio interview
with Ogre on MARS-FM in LA.

The image of a skinny puppy is supposed to represent something which is
abused and has no way to defend itself or do anything about it. Thus a
skinny puppy beign starved and all it can do (the important part really)
is bar in resistance. It is easy to see how this image manifests itself
in the early works. Somewhere along the way though I think some hope, *GASP*
has crept into the songs...

JAson
my views and no one elses...

fea...@matai.vuw.ac.nz

Sep 2, 1994, 11:17:16 PM9/2/94
In article <1994Sep1.1...@prl.philips.nl>, dev...@prl.philips.nl (Jan de Vaan) writes:
> Mussolini Headkick had the courtesy to explain it's name in the booklet of
> their "blood on the flag" (debut?) CD.
> When Mussolini died (I believe he shot himself at the end of WW II) the old
> resistance got hold of the body, and gave the citizens of Rome a chance to
> kick the head of their hated dictator. Neat story huh.
>
> But let's talk about this band: Do they still exist? Are there more records?
> Do they ever go on tour?
> I can recommend the cd: millitant, pounding, industrial; not too techno and
> quite versatile.

I assume that in part the reason for their name is that old Cabs song "Do the
Mussolini" [headkick].

They had 2 albums, last I looked (as far as I know, resources being hard to
come by here). Their first one, distributed on Waxtrax was _Themes for Violent
Retribution_ (excellent name huh?), it had an excellent John Hartfield
anti-nazi photograph for the cover, which was misinterpreted in Europe. This
was an OK CD with a couple of really good songs. The there was a 2nd album
called _Blood on the Flag_ which was better, it had a couple of good songs, and
the *excellent* "Get Out". There was also a 12" of "Get Out", but I think
that's all.

When they get going they're really good, very aggressive, very angry.
Unfortunately they have a lot of weak moments, when they sound really blah.
Still I think that both CDs are worth getting.

If anyone else knows anything more about them, if they have any more releases
I'd be very interested.

Doug

Svend Jacobsen

Sep 3, 1994, 9:33:54 AM9/3/94
>the *excellent* "Get Out". There was also a 12" of "Get Out", but I think

Isn't there a Cabaret Voltaire song called "Get Out Of My Face"? The
phrase isn't that uncommon of course, but its's still a bit of a
coincidence...

Svend Jacobsen | "He who is with me is against me"
sv...@lysator.liu.se | - Francis Picabia
c93s...@und.ida.liu.se |

the Monk

Sep 3, 1994, 4:21:25 PM9/3/94
: But for the record i do recall seeing another album besides _Blood on the
: Flag_

yes, there was one before Blood On The Flag... i forget the title, but it
has a body sprawled over a swastika... the music on that one is quite a
bit better. i have heard that they are still around, and there is or
will be a new album.

Dug Kelly

Sep 3, 1994, 5:00:08 PM9/3/94
In article <monkCvK...@netcom.com>, the Monk <mo...@netcom.com> wrote:
>: But for the record i do recall seeing another album besides _Blood on the
>: Flag_
>
>yes, there was one before Blood On The Flag... i forget the title, but it
>has a body sprawled over a swastika... the music on that one is quite a

i believe that it is called, _Themes_For_Violent_Retribution_
was released on WaxTrax on cd and lp i know..
i used to see it around a bit..

spue

anno....@sfnet.com

Sep 4, 1994, 5:52:32 AM9/4/94

The album is _Themes For Violent Retribution_ and the music *is* better.

chim...@delphi.com

Sep 5, 1994, 7:49:43 PM9/5/94
Susan Roston <sro...@merle.acns.nwu.edu> writes:

>In article <mikep.118...@uniwa.uwa.edu.au>,
>Michael Poidinger <mi...@uniwa.uwa.edu.au> wrote:
>>
>>Well kewl. That's that. Now anyone got origins for Skinny Puppy, Frontline
>>Assembly, Front 242, Nitzer Ebb etc etc?

According to Keyboard Magazine's interview with Nitzer Ebb, their
name means absolutely nothing. "We chose the name for esthetic reasons"
they claim. Kinda sounds like the MTV interview with 242, doesn't it?

CHIMERA7

jer...@premenos.com

Sep 6, 1994, 2:03:22 AM9/6/94
In <pa8wWjX....@delphi.com>, chim...@delphi.com writes:
>Susan Roston <sro...@merle.acns.nwu.edu> writes:
>
>>In article <mikep.118...@uniwa.uwa.edu.au>,
>>Michael Poidinger <mi...@uniwa.uwa.edu.au> wrote:
>>>
>>>Well kewl. That's that. Now anyone got origins for Skinny Puppy, Frontline
>>>Assembly, Front 242, Nitzer Ebb etc etc?

242 was the number assigned the first Nazi non experimental jet
fighter. I think this and the song CIRCLING OVERLAND on FRONT
BY FRONT could give us some hints, but so far I have seen several
US and foreign interviews and neither R.23 or Patrick or Jean-Luc
have answered believably. Hope this helps you out in your journey.

*The views Expressed Herein / Sunk the Clipper *
*Are of Course My own And / Scaled the Tower *
*Should not be misconstrued / Heard the Call *
*in any way to be the VIEWS /Still haven't acted *
*of The BOX I log onto daily /Trail of Tears *
*Especially the BOX containing/I left behind *
*a *.com* suffix /Hypocracy Admitted *
* CRIMSON IS AN APHRODESIAC *

Gerald Stevens

Sep 6, 1994, 2:10:05 PM9/6/94
I heard (way back when) the name was derived from some animal experiments
concerning "How long _does_ it take for a puppy to starve to death".
True or not - a nice story.
-Gerald

Serge Solski u

Sep 6, 1994, 6:49:26 PM9/6/94

I heard a _long_ time ago, that the name "Skinny Puppy" came from
one of Ogre's songs before they had a name. I listened for the song on
"Back and Forth" but couldn't hear Ogre mentioning any skinny puppies.
Cool name though...

-Mark
--
"Key chuckles. 'If Skinny Puppy, in terms of the movie _Alien_, is a
chest-burster, then Doubting Thomas is more of a face-hugger,' he informs,

Susan Roston

Sep 6, 1994, 8:28:16 PM9/6/94
In article <CvqC...@info.uucp>, Serge Solski u <sols...@mach1.wlu.ca> wrote:
> I heard a _long_ time ago, that the name "Skinny Puppy" came from
>one of Ogre's songs before they had a name. I listened for the song on
>"Back and Forth" but couldn't hear Ogre mentioning any skinny puppies.
>Cool name though...

howzabout thee song k9??

William S. Rowell

Sep 6, 1994, 11:12:57 PM9/6/94
Gerald Stevens (ste...@nuclear.physics.sunysb.edu) wrote:
: I heard (way back when) the name was derived from some animal experiments
: concerning "How long _does_ it take for a puppy to starve to death".
: True or not - a nice story.

About a week and a half.

Greg Earle

Sep 7, 1994, 5:06:36 AM9/7/94
In article <steven...@nuclear.physics.sunysb.edu>,

Not true. The band name actually derived from a concept/simile. It's
probably in a FAQ someplace; I won't repeat it here.

Some wires got crossed in your story hearing. At one time, my wife painted
a starved laboratory research dog on the back of Ogre's denim jacket along with
the phrase "How long does it take for a puppy to starve in a laboratory?".

Ogre had this jacket for quite some time and he would wear it onstage and take
it off early in the set. At some point he accidentally left it on a plane;
undoubtedly somebody out there found themselves quite a curio :-)

--
- Greg Earle WWW: http://www-mipl.jpl.nasa.gov/~earle/
Phone: (818) 353-8695 FAX: (818) 353-1877 [Call # again if

Serge Solski u

Sep 7, 1994, 10:01:52 AM9/7/94
In article <34j1f0$e...@news.acns.nwu.edu> sro...@merle.acns.nwu.edu (Susan Roston) writes:
>In article <CvqC...@info.uucp>, Serge Solski u <sols...@mach1.wlu.ca> wrote:
>> I heard a _long_ time ago, that the name "Skinny Puppy" came from
>>one of Ogre's songs before they had a name. I listened for the song on
>>"Back and Forth" but couldn't hear Ogre mentioning any skinny puppies.
>>Cool name though...
>
>howzabout thee song k9??

Does he mention "skinny puppies" in it? Dammit, now I'm curious!

Mike Watson

Sep 7, 1994, 2:05:41 PM9/7/94
In article <34h0na$h...@tortosa.templar.net> jer...@premenos.com writes:

> 242 was the number assigned the first Nazi non experimental jet
> fighter. I think this and the song CIRCLING OVERLAND on FRONT
> BY FRONT could give us some hints, but so far I have seen several
> US and foreign interviews and neither R.23 or Patrick or Jean-Luc
> have answered believably. Hope this helps you out in your journey.

Wrongo!! You are thinking of the 262!!!
<fx: plane spotter mode deactivated>
--
Mike Watson - Sinister Developments,Edinburgh,Scotland
mi...@sindev.demon.co.uk

LichaeM

Sep 8, 1994, 1:17:34 AM9/8/94
I believe the song you refer to is K-9.
Lichaem === A.U.D.A.C.I.T.Y. aLTERNATIVE mUSIC fORUM

Heretic-Toc the Eastre Clock

Sep 10, 1994, 2:25:35 PM9/10/94
jer...@premenos.com writes:

>242 was the number assigned the first Nazi non experimental jet
>fighter. I think this and the song CIRCLING OVERLAND on FRONT
>BY FRONT could give us some hints, but so far I have seen several
>US and foreign interviews and neither R.23 or Patrick or Jean-Luc
>have answered believably. Hope this helps you out in your journey.

First of all, this is wrong. Someone else suggested this a while back
and was corrected; the fighter had a different number (which I can't
remember).

Second of all, I have another theory. In Guatemala, after the Catholic
Church was pretty much beaten into submission by the government (it's
amazing what murdering a few prominent liberation theologists and telling
the Church hierarchy to start putting in conservatives or you'll kill a
few more moderate priests too will do), the Lutheran Church stepped in
to fill the liberation theology/revolutionary politics void. Their
address, and the default address of the political arm of the revolutionary
front for some time, was 242. There was a great photo in Time or one of
those magazines of a bomb crater in front of this building, with the
address 242 prominently displayed. Since this all took place in the early
80s, while Front 242 was just getting started, the association seems to
work. Anyone else have any thoughts on this?

--
___________ ______________________________________________________________
/ payn@ \ "Let an artist show you how to bring a curse down on Satan" \

STRYK9

Sep 10, 1994, 2:44:16 PM9/10/94
In article <349u02$b...@newsy.ifm.liu.se>,

Svend Jacobsen <sv...@lysator.liu.se> wrote:
>>the *excellent* "Get Out". There was also a 12" of "Get Out", but I think
>
>Isn't there a Cabaret Voltaire song called "Get Out Of My Face"? The
>phrase isn't that uncommon of course, but its's still a bit of a
>coincidence...

seeing that they took their name from another cabaret voltair song, it prolly
isn't.

so where can i find themes of violent retribution?

nur die halbe Welt ist Teflon und Asbest, die Rest ist brennbar
-Einst"urzenden Neubauten

Winston Smith

Sep 13, 1994, 8:10:38 AM9/13/94
: Not true. The band name actually derived from a concept/simile. It's

: probably in a FAQ someplace; I won't repeat it here.

Where might I get a copy of this FAQ?

Francois Labreque

Sep 14, 1994, 2:29:01 PM9/14/94
Winston Smith (n...@clark.net) wrote:
: : Not true. The band name actually derived from a concept/simile. It's

: : probably in a FAQ someplace; I won't repeat it here.

: Where might I get a copy of this FAQ?

ftp.netcom.com
/pub/"something or other"/puppy

--
Francois Labreque | "The surest sign of extra-terrestrial intelli-
mig...@step.polymtl.ca | gence is that they never came to visit us"
| - Calvin

DAVIDSON Sean

Sep 15, 1994, 6:31:01 AM9/15/94

Funny you should ask...
I just received a promo copy of their new single the other day.
I forget what is was called sorry, but it was from plastichead distribution in
england, and the songs sounded pretty hip-hoppy to me.
Sean

U25...@uicvm.uic.edu

Sep 16, 1994, 1:10:37 AM9/16/94
>: Where might I get a copy of this FAQ?
>
>ftp.netcom.com
>/pub/"something or other"/puppy

if i'm not mistaken the directory is as follows:

/pub/puppy/SP_INFO

later...
jason...

KRAKHED

Oct 3, 1994, 11:53:06 PM10/3/94
To Big Daddy Ed:

You were the one that got the correct answer. When I have to do 15
interviews in a day, I have a tendancy to change the facts around for my
own amusment. The name does indeed come from the Jim Marcus essay, as Mr.
Marcus himself pointed out.

Chris Randall
Sister Machine Gun

(P.S. If I see Jayson, I'll slap him around for you. I got a copy,
though...
Also, saw the ARC cover... pretty slick!)

Merritt Bettineski

Oct 6, 1994, 9:25:13 PM10/6/94

On 3 Oct 1994, KRAKHED wrote:

> To Big Daddy Ed:
>
> You were the one that got the correct answer. When I have to do 15
> interviews in a day, I have a tendancy to change the facts around for my
> own amusment. The name does indeed come from the Jim Marcus essay, as Mr.
> Marcus himself pointed out.

I missed whatever message this was referring to, but I always thought
that the name sister machine gun was from a Skinny Puppy song. And,
while they have been my favorite band for many years I can't remember
which one! Possibly Tin Omen?

Anyway the lyric goes:
Sister
Machine Gun
Automatic High

line breaks are where ogre pauses slightly.

amadeus....@sfnet.com

Oct 9, 1994, 12:21:42 PM10/9/94

Altogether..sister..machine gun...automatic high... what a trip.. tripped over
the candlestick. <in midst of furious gratuitous air guitar> ahem. sorry.

asch...@mac.cc.macalstr.edu

Oct 10, 1994, 7:53:02 PM10/10/94

I think I read somewhere that both SMG and SP got their names from the same
place, probably the forementioned Marcus essay. So maybe the SP lyrics are a
refrence to this essay? Just a guess.

BondGirl

Nov 1, 1994, 1:39:05 AM11/1/94
Every now and then I wanna thump Chris Randall on the head. If you were
his publicist and had to answer the "how did they really get their name?"
question over and over, you'd probably wanna thump him on the head too.
Especially when he keeps changing the story in interviews. And that's
nowhere near as bad as the "what does KMFDM stand for?" but that's a whole
'nother story...