who says "FUCK ART LET'S KILL"?

His Holiness the Pope

Dec 4, 1993, 6:02:09 AM12/4/93

Could someone knowledgable out there please tell me which group has the t-shirt
that says "FUCK ART LET'S KILL". Some of the people i've asked think it's
Thrill Kill Kult, others say it's probably Sonic Youth, but nobody can tell me
for sure.

Also, any additional info about this quote ("fuck art let's kill") or the band
that made it would be greatly appreciated. Particularly: does the quote come
from a song or album, or is it just on the t-shirt? who are the members of the
band, and is there any one particular member who is known to be responsible for
that quote?

Please respond by e-mail, as I may not be able to check these groups anytime
in the near future.

Thanks a lot for your help!

-jason

VampLestat

Dec 4, 1993, 9:12:37 AM12/4/93
His Holiness the Pope<jlam...@pomona.claremont.edu> wrote:

>Couldsomeone knowledgable out there please tell me which group has the t-shirt

>that says "FUCK ART LET'S KILL".

ChemLab. I just saw STG play here in long beach and two of the members
were wearing the t-shirt. It had "Fuck Art Lets Kill" on one side and "Chem
Lab" on the other.

>Some of the people i've asked think it's
>Thrill Kill Kult, others say it's probably Sonic Youth, but nobody can tell me
>for sure.

Either TKK and Sonic Youth did the same thing, or the people you have asked
are mistaken.

>Also, any additional info about this quote ("fuck art let's kill") or the band
>that made it would be greatly appreciated. Particularly: does the quote come

>froma song or album, or is it just on the t-shirt? who are the members of the
>band,and is there any one particular member who is known to be responsible for
>that quote?

No idea bout the menaing behind the quote. Chem Lab is an industrial band
out of Washington DC as I recall. They have been getting more coverage as
of late.

--
_O_ Ryan L. Watkins va...@csulb.edu i tried to tell her
| Academic Computing Services CSULB about marx and engels, god and angels
| pgp key available via finger i don't really know what for
VampLestat @ nots.colorado.edu 4000 but she looked good in ribbons - som

r...@metronet.com

Dec 4, 1993, 2:27:34 PM12/4/93
Chemlab is based in NYC, they are currently on tour opening
for White Zombie.

Their major album is "Burn Out At The Hydrogen Bar" (Fifth Column
3984-14013-2). Their first indie release "Ten Ton Pressure" is
out of print. They plan on reissuing it with added tracks in early
94. There's also a 12" promo comp on Metalblade which has a remix
of "Codiene, Glue and You" that I have.

On the t-shirt front: They been selling the "Fuck Art Let's Kill"
for a while. The band was selling them for $10 the first time
they came to Dallas. Last night at the White Zombie gig, they were
$20 at the concession stand. There was also one with a quasi
chemical formula on the front and an integrated circuit on the back.

I've also seen one of the cover of "Burnout..."

At the shows, Jared, the lead singer, gave away a new Chemlab
shirt that on the back said "I FUCKED CHEMLAB".

In the studio, Chemlab is basically, Jared the singer and Dylan
the keyboardist. On tour, they add a drummer and two guitarists.
One of the guitar players, Krayge Tyler, is also in the band Virus
23, who are also very good, IMHO.

--Rob aka DJ Stereotype aka r...@metronet.com, Dallas, Texas, USA.
--"The Grey Zone", Sunday(well, Saturday night) 2:30am-4am, KNON, 89.3FM.
--"We hate all DJs, they're making us ill." KMFDM "Sucks"

Edward Pak

Dec 4, 1993, 3:38:35 PM12/4/93
CHEM LAB is actually out of NYC....
I think they're just signed to a label in DC..

-eddie

Ben Adam Rosenberg

Dec 4, 1993, 5:05:54 PM12/4/93
From article <009767DA...@pomona.claremont.edu>, by jlam...@pomona.claremont.edu (His Holiness the Pope):

: Could someone knowledgable out there please tell me which group has the
: t-shirt that says "FUCK ART LET'S KILL". Some of the people i've asked
: think it's Thrill Kill Kult, others say it's probably Sonic Youth, but
: nobody can tell me for sure.
If I remember correctly, that's a Chemlab shirt.
--
FNORDFNORDFNORDFNORDFNORDFNORDKIBO!FNORDFNORDFNORDFNORD "Your rock-star son
# "Any story that begins with a beet # isn't smuggling it

Kevin Archibald

Dec 4, 1993, 4:41:04 PM12/4/93
His Holiness the Pope (jlam...@pomona.claremont.edu) wrote:

You can get a tshirt like this directly from Fifth column for $15, or WE
NEVER SLEEP is selling a generic version for I forget what.

I was wearing this tshirt at a Babyland concert and some guy who looked
about 40 says to me, "That slogan brings back memories. The saying used to
be 'Fuck Art, Let's Dance'. So maybe Chemlab adapted the slogan from this
rebellious disco culture.

Anyway, not the kind of tshirt you want to wear around town, with the huge
wave of crime paranoia going around.

Kevin
: in the near future.

: Thanks a lot for your help!

: -jason
--
Take a look into my world Hypocrisy in the Land of the Free
Take a look inside Hostility and Stupidity
My world is dying... Keep your progress to yourself...

Katie Miranda Nutt

Dec 4, 1993, 6:19:13 PM12/4/93

I believe I saw that on Chemlab shirts and posters at their show about
three years ago. Also saw it in the womens bathroom here at UCSC. ;)

James Wallis

Dec 4, 1993, 9:22:52 PM12/4/93
In article <009767DA...@pomona.claremont.edu> jlam...@pomona.claremont.edu writes:

> Could someone knowledgable out there please tell me which group has the t-shirt
> that says "FUCK ART LET'S KILL". Some of the people i've asked think it's
> Thrill Kill Kult, others say it's probably Sonic Youth, but nobody can tell me
> for sure.
(blahblah)

As far as I know it's a variant on two slogans: "Fuck art, let's dance", and
the inevitable "Fuck art, let's fuck" which have been around since at least
the late '70s or early '80s, mostly on t-shirts over here.

--
James Wallis
(ja...@wonder.demon.co.uk++++Writer/Editor++++The Wonderful Pig of Knowledge)

r...@metronet.com

Dec 5, 1993, 3:52:55 PM12/5/93
Edward Pak <ep...@andrew.cmu.edu> writes:

>CHEM LAB is actually out of NYC....
>I think they're just signed to a label in DC..

No, they are from the DC area, but have been based in NYC for a
while. At least that's what Jared told me in an interview
last summer.

QEII

Dec 5, 1993, 7:29:21 PM12/5/93
T's avail from ME.

for info email
cai...@vampyre.colorado.edu

Price is 15 dollars plus shipping.

If you wan't to buy one and you are in the Denver/Boulder area
go to WAX-TRAX or UZI..they have them.

shirt is black, with white type
ALL CAPS it reads "FUCK ART
LETS KILL"
on the front and nothing on the back.

--
Proud owner of one of the first Hell Credit Cards.
"Spend all you want. You'll pay later."

sexonwheelz

Dec 6, 1993, 12:57:41 AM12/6/93
jlam...@pomona.claremont.edu (His Holiness the Pope) writes:

>Could someone knowledgable out there please tell me which group has the t-shirt
>that says "FUCK ART LET'S KILL". Some of the people i've asked think it's
>Thrill Kill Kult, others say it's probably Sonic Youth, but nobody can tell me
>for sure.

>Also, any additional info about this quote ("fuck art let's kill") or the band
>that made it would be greatly appreciated. Particularly: does the quote come
>from a song or album, or is it just on the t-shirt? who are the members of the
>band, and is there any one particular member who is known to be responsible for
>that quote?

well, though chemlab has been promoting that particular saying as of late,
Nivek Ogre wore a similar shirt during Ministry's "In Case..." tour, so
chemlab did not dream it up, but as far as the original origin goes, i can't
say. re/search publications has that shirt for sale, also. (if that helps
at all).

sexonwheelz

--
+ "you're the prettiest of them all, but tell me something....what's wrong +
+ with you, what's wrong with everybody in this crazy place?!?!"--SP +

Mark Bergem

Dec 6, 1993, 2:23:28 PM12/6/93
In <2duhkl$8...@vixen.cso.uiuc.edu> ecb4...@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (sexonwheelz) writes:

>jlam...@pomona.claremont.edu (His Holiness the Pope) writes:

>>Could someone knowledgable out there please tell me which group has the t-shirt
>>that says "FUCK ART LET'S KILL". Some of the people i've asked think it's
>>Thrill Kill Kult, others say it's probably Sonic Youth, but nobody can tell me
>>for sure.

>>Also, any additional info about this quote ("fuck art let's kill") or the band
>>that made it would be greatly appreciated. Particularly: does the quote come
>>from a song or album, or is it just on the t-shirt? who are the members of the
>>band, and is there any one particular member who is known to be responsible for
>>that quote?

>well, though chemlab has been promoting that particular saying as of late,
>Nivek Ogre wore a similar shirt during Ministry's "In Case..." tour, so
>chemlab did not dream it up, but as far as the original origin goes, i can't
>say. re/search publications has that shirt for sale, also. (if that helps
>at all).

Well accually, the earliest that I saw it was on the Contagion CD in the line
"All all the fans and stations who understand..Fuck Art, Let's Kill."
The album came out in early '92

Just my 2 cents

|| fau...@mcl.mcl.ucsb.edu "ich verlass sie - enttauscht" ||
|| UCSB Film Studies -"Sie", Einsturzende Neubauten ||
|| -= Question Reality =- ||

sexonwheelz

Dec 6, 1993, 3:04:02 PM12/6/93
fau...@mcl.ucsb.edu (Mark Bergem) writes:

>In <2duhkl$8...@vixen.cso.uiuc.edu> ecb4...@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (sexonwheelz) writes:

>>jlam...@pomona.claremont.edu (His Holiness the Pope) writes:

>>>Could someone knowledgable out there please tell me which group has the t-shirt
>>>that says "FUCK ART LET'S KILL". Some of the people i've asked think it's
>>>Thrill Kill Kult, others say it's probably Sonic Youth, but nobody can tell me
>>>for sure.

>>>Also, any additional info about this quote ("fuck art let's kill") or the band
>>>that made it would be greatly appreciated. Particularly: does the quote come
>>>from a song or album, or is it just on the t-shirt? who are the members of the
>>>band, and is there any one particular member who is known to be responsible for
>>>that quote?

>>well, though chemlab has been promoting that particular saying as of late,
>>Nivek Ogre wore a similar shirt during Ministry's "In Case..." tour, so
>>chemlab did not dream it up, but as far as the original origin goes, i can't
>>say. re/search publications has that shirt for sale, also. (if that helps
>>at all).

>Well accually, the earliest that I saw it was on the Contagion CD in the line
>"All all the fans and stations who understand..Fuck Art, Let's Kill."
>The album came out in early '92

>Just my 2 cents

i do believe that "In Case..." was 90-91....someone correct me if i'm wrong

Greg Earle

Dec 6, 1993, 3:51:06 PM12/6/93
In article <2duhkl$8...@vixen.cso.uiuc.edu>,

sexonwheelz <ecb4...@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu> wrote:
>jlam...@pomona.claremont.edu (His Holiness the Pope) writes:
>
>>Could someone knowledgable out there tell me which group has the t-shirt
>>that says "FUCK ART LET'S KILL". Some of the people I've asked think it's

>>Thrill Kill Kult, others say it's probably Sonic Youth, but nobody can tell me
>>for sure.
>
>>Also, any additional info about this quote ("fuck art let's kill") or the band
>>that made it would be greatly appreciated. Particularly: does the quote come
>>from a song or album, or is it just on the t-shirt? Who are the members of

>>the band, and is there any one particular member who is known to be
>>responsible for that quote?
>
>Well, though Chemlab has been promoting that particular saying as of late,

>Nivek Ogre wore a similar shirt during Ministry's "In Case ..." tour, so
>Chemlab did not dream it up, but as far as the original origin goes, I can't
>say.

I first saw a "Fuck Art, Let's Kill" shirt on Jim Thirlwell, many many years
ago (pre-Chemlab). It has a bunch of replicated pictures of guns on the
front with the slogan printed above and below, I think.

As for the predecessors, there was the "Fuck Art, Let's Dance" t-shirt with a
picture of a Northern Soul dancer on it. This came from the Ska Revival/Mod
era (1979-on). It might have been associated with Madness (the band (-: ).
And, as someone else mentioned, there was the inevitable "Fuck Art, Let's Fuck"
knockoffs ...

I'll resist the temptation to make the meta-comment that Chemlab, like most
Industrial these days, can't think of anything original to say :-) :-) :-)

--
- Greg Earle
Phone: (818) 353-8695 FAX: (818) 353-1877 [Call # again if

Ashton Mason

Dec 7, 1993, 6:23:58 AM12/7/93

>Could someone knowledgable out there please tell me which group has the t-shirt
>that says "FUCK ART LET'S KILL". Some of the people i've asked think it's
>Thrill Kill Kult, others say it's probably Sonic Youth, but nobody can tell me
>for sure.

In the video "Incase you didn't feel like showing up", some guy in Ministry
is wearing one.

ashman

Montana Disaster Relief Account

Dec 9, 1993, 7:09:09 PM12/9/93
in reference to the "fuck art, let's kill" shirts, if anyone has ever seen the
ministry "in case you didn't feel like showing up" video, i believe one of the
members of the band is wearing the same shirt. i dunno if it is chemlab one or
they had them made themselves. but you can check it out yourself.

just a nifty little tidbit of info.

john charles taylor
j...@astro.ocis.temple.edu
el...@velcro.cis.temple.edu

Brian G Emmett

Dec 9, 1993, 7:45:33 PM12/9/93
j...@astro.ocis.temple.edu (Montana Disaster Relief Account) writes:
> in reference to the "fuck art, let's kill" shirts, if anyone has ever seen the
> ministry "in case you didn't feel like showing up" video, i believe one of the
> members of the band is wearing the same shirt. i dunno if it is chemlab one or
> they had them made themselves. but you can check it out yourself.

i do believe, if i'm not mistaken, that the man yuo are referring to is
none other than Ogre himself. am i correct in this? if not, then hell,
you can't know everything, but you can damn well try.

BRiaN

Dianne Cosner

Dec 9, 1993, 9:24:03 AM12/9/93
Ashton Mason (ama...@cs.uct.ac.za) wrote:

: >Could someone knowledgable out there please tell me which group has the t-shirt

: >that says "FUCK ART LET'S KILL". Some of the people i've asked think it's
: >Thrill Kill Kult, others say it's probably Sonic Youth, but nobody can tell me
: >for sure.

: In the video "Incase you didn't feel like showing up", some guy in Ministry
: is wearing one.

"FUCK ART LET'S KILL" is the motto of ChemLab, a Washington DC based
Industrial Group. One of my friends is their agent for Fifth Column
Records. They are working on a project with White Zombie and the
album should be out before they go on tour together.

Morpheus
Sysop of DreamScape BBS (301) HEX-1310

bernardjmurp...@gmail.com

Jul 4, 2014, 8:42:53 PM7/4/14
THE BAND MINISTRY IN THEIR CONCERT "IN CASE YOU DIDNT FEEL LIKE SHOWING UP LIVE".
ONE OF THE MEMBERS IS WEARING A BLACK T SHIRT THAT HAS THIS SLOGAN IN WHITE LETTERING.
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

jcru...@gmail.com

Feb 12, 2015, 6:36:37 AM2/12/15
I saw it on a Cavalera Conspiracy pic. The Cavalera Bros. Max and Igor from Sepultura and Soulfly!

krhutt...@gmail.com

Feb 10, 2016, 1:42:18 PM2/10/16
I had a shirt that said "fuck art lets kill" and it was from a California band SlamHound. They were an unsigned punk band. (Not the glam band Josh Todd was in)

opto...@hotmail.com

Jun 6, 2017, 6:28:38 AM6/6/17

opto...@hotmail.com

Jun 6, 2017, 6:28:43 AM6/6/17

opto...@hotmail.com

Jun 6, 2017, 6:28:49 AM6/6/17

in6cu...@gmail.com

Aug 1, 2017, 8:11:20 PM8/1/17
It's chemlab

brog...@gmail.com

Jun 15, 2019, 11:30:31 AM6/15/19
Chemlab, you monster!

lawrence...@gmail.com

Jul 16, 2019, 12:24:33 PM7/16/19
Ministry

laspalma...@gmail.com

Feb 15, 2020, 6:57:49 PM2/15/20
The statement is a statement within a statement about CENSORSHIP and your First Amendment Constitutional right to Free Speech. The abrogation of your freedom of speech is the first wormhole to take down the tower of your RIGHTS in general.