Genesis P. Orridge vs Rick Rubin

Ankharu333

May 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/24/99
While looking for some psychic t.v. info i came across an old news story that
said that genesis sued rubin for 2 million and won because he was injured at a
fire at a house that rubin owned. i was not aware of this. did genesis actually
get paid or what?

Maniak920

May 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/24/99
Genesis was staying at Love And Rockets house, who were on American at the
time, during the recording of their album. A fire ensued, and Mr. Megson (how
many of you knew that?) had to jump out of a second story window, in which he
broke his arm and wrist ( I believe). He sued Rubin, claiming he was no longer
able to play guitar or keyboards, and won an undisclosed sum.

Maniak

AKICITA

May 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/24/99

Actually, Genesis and Love and Rockets were all staying at Rubin's
house. The equipment caught fire while Love and Rockets was recording
the Sweet FA album, and all of them had to flee (some of L&R had to leap
from windows, too). This caused the total destruction of all album
recordings to that point, and the band had to start all over again. It's
also why a scorched guitar is on the cover.

Love and Rockets was a wonderful band. They recently broke up (about 2
weeks ago). It's a shame they did that, but it's better than having gone
out in a literal blaze of glory.

Victim of Industry

May 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/24/99
> broke his arm and wrist ( I believe). He sued Rubin, claiming he was no
longer
> able to play guitar or keyboards, and won an undisclosed sum.

$1.6M. I don't know why I remember that, but I just do.

- Aaron.

Jacob Jarnigon

May 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/24/99

Ankharu333 wrote in message
<19990524054502...@ng-fd1.aol.com>...

they settled at 1 million , and gpo spent it all on gold teeth

Cecrle

May 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/24/99

How exactly was it Rubin's fault?

Genesis talks a bunch of shit about the evils of governments and stuff,
but it doesn't seem like he's such a great guy himself, does it?!

-FC

AKICITA

May 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/24/99

It was Rubin's fault for owning the house that caught fire, basically.

And what you said about Genesis is a massive understatement...here's a
guy who feeds his children LSD, does horrible, horrible things to people
and living animals, and who makes a reputation crying about the
government...who's laws just enriched him by another $1.6 million...

MBerry4559

May 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/24/99
>Mr. Megson (how
>many of you knew that?)

Mr. Neil Andrew Megson... now did you know THAT?

+++++++++++++++++++++++
Mike Berry
Mberr...@aol.com
"der tag wird kommen..." Noisex - Rotation USA
+++++++++++++++++++++++

Cecrle

May 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/25/99
AKICITA <aki...@telepath.com> wrote:
>Cecrle wrote:

>> >longer
>> >
>> >$1.6M. I don't know why I remember that, but I just do.
>>
>> How exactly was it Rubin's fault?
>>
>> Genesis talks a bunch of shit about the evils of governments and stuff,
>> but it doesn't seem like he's such a great guy himself, does it?!
>>
>> -FC
>
>It was Rubin's fault for owning the house that caught fire, basically.

Heh, sounds like it. And I'm sure the "ah can't play me kee-bodes oh
gee-tah now" complaint is a bit iffy..

>And what you said about Genesis is a massive understatement...here's a
>guy who feeds his children LSD, does horrible, horrible things to people
>and living animals, and who makes a reputation crying about the
>government...who's laws just enriched him by another $1.6 million...

Well I don't know about *that* shit, you're probably screwing around, but
just in case you're not, I'll reply as such. Sounds like media bullshit,
I believe he's denied feeding his kids drugs and everything, plus he's
talked about how he thinks any drugs are stupid, ways to deaden your mind
and be controlled.

I was just referring to how he denies crediting Peter
"Sleazy" Christopherson in various TG albums, seems to hype things way up,
and ends up being a big hypocrite by complaining about the world being a
bad place full of dishonest people...

-FC

Victim of Industry

May 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/25/99
> How exactly was it Rubin's fault?

GPO was at Rubin's pad "on business", so from my understanding that makes
Rubin liable for workplace injuries.

Cordially,

Uncle Happy
Your Best Shot at a Brighter Tomorrow!

Gary Suarez

May 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/25/99
You're all entitled to think that Genesis was trying to rip off Rick Rubin.
The problem with that logic is that you're missing some facts of the case
itself. I did a small report for a Law class of mine about this P-Orridge
case. According the the lawyers on behalf of Genesis, he had some substantial
injuries. When he asked Rubin to help him pay for his hospital bills, Rubin
adamantly refused. Homeowners laws put liability on the homeowner for
accidents that occur on their property, with some exceptions. When the case
went to court, the judge was shocked that Rubin (a man who had the money to
spend) still refused, even in court, to help with the medical bills. The
reason why Genesis got so much money was that the court added in good ol'
"pain and suffering" to the cost of his medical bills. And we all have
watched enough news programs in our lifetimes to know that the court system
can get rather generous at times.

My two cents.

-djgyn

--
=======
"Transmissions From Scumsburg" << http://www.angelfire.com/ma/scumsburg >>

"GASR" << http://www.gasr.somewhere.net >>
-(Boston electro artists -- BRAND NEW WEBSITE, NEW DESIGN!)-

"The answer to any question will be revealed when you stop asking
questions and wipe from your mind the concept of question."
- william seward burroughs -

robert

May 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/25/99
> plus he's
> talked about how he thinks any drugs are stupid,

He may have talked about it , but at a pigface show that was reviewed
recently quoted GPO asking someone "what drugs are you on tonight ? " ,
and the guy said " none " , and GPO said with with an astounded shocked
expression "and your happy ? ". The guy was trying to have an
interesting conversation with the old man , but genesis could not hold
up. I can send you the link if you want it

Cecrle

May 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/25/99

Please do.

-FC

Equilibrst

May 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/26/99

Here is the 411.

Because of the fall Gen shattered his eldow pretty seriously as well as a few
other injuries. Gen had not insurance, and the costs were rather high for the
treatment and therapy. The house this happened in was Rubin's, and had been
the site of a nubmer of other recordings, including the Red Hot Chili Pepper's
_Blood Sugar Sex Magick_ album. I've never really turned up the specific cause
of the fire, though it did destroy pretty much all of Gen's musical equipment
at the time.

Gen held a benfit for his medical situation a few years back which Love and
Rockets were going to play. Rubin barred them from doing so. That was the
start of the bad blood between them, though this bad blood does not seem to be
very intense.

As if common in these sort of cases, Gen, to cover his medical costs, sued
Rubin's insurance provider to cover the damages. Gen won the case and as
reported recieved about $1.6 million, most of which went to the bills for the
treatment as well as the legal side of things.

As for Gen having spend the cash on tooth caps, he has had those for quite a
few years before any of these events, and they are silver, not gold.

Dare all, there is no retribution,
Fr. Equilibrist
118

Aphonik

May 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/26/99
>I've never really turned up the specific cause
>of the fire, though it did destroy pretty much all of Gen's musical equipment
>at the time.

I heard somewhere that the cause of the fire was attributed to Pure Evil. Can
this be confirmed?

..Eric

Equilibrst

May 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/26/99
> I heard somewhere that the cause of the fire was attributed to Pure Evil.
>Can
>this be confirmed?

Well, Love and Rockets did record a version of "I.C. Water" that night before
the fire...

Draw your own conclussions on that.

m2

May 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/27/99
In article <19990525203423...@ng-fi1.aol.com>, Aphonik
<aph...@aol.com> writes

>>I've never really turned up the specific cause
>>of the fire, though it did destroy pretty much all of Gen's musical equipment
>>at the time.
>
> I heard somewhere that the cause of the fire was attributed to Pure Evil. Can
>this be confirmed?
>
>..Eric

You should never try to microwave Pure Evil... it's very VERY dangerous,
and should be disposed of SAFELY.

--
m2
kicking the habit

bcf...@gmail.com

Dec 18, 2018, 5:40:49 PM12/18/18
On Wednesday, May 26, 1999 at 12:00:00 AM UTC-7, Equilibrst wrote:
> Here is the 411.
>
> Because of the fall Gen shattered his eldow pretty seriously as well as a few
> other injuries. Gen had not insurance, and the costs were rather high for the
> treatment and therapy. The house this happened in was Rubin's, and had been
> the site of a nubmer of other recordings, including the Red Hot Chili Pepper's
> _Blood Sugar Sex Magick_ album. I've never really turned up the specific cause
> of the fire, though it did destroy pretty much all of Gen's musical equipment
> at the time.
>
> Gen held a benfit for his medical situation a few years back which Love and
> Rockets were going to play. Rubin barred them from doing so. That was the
> start of the bad blood between them, though this bad blood does not seem to be
> very intense.
>
> As if common in these sort of cases, Gen, to cover his medical costs, sued
> Rubin's insurance provider to cover the damages. Gen won the case and as
> reported recieved about $1.6 million, most of which went to the bills for the
> treatment as well as the legal side of things.
>
> As for Gen having spend the cash on tooth caps, he has had those for quite a
> few years before any of these events, and they are silver, not gold.
>

> Dare all, there is no retribution,
> Fr. Equilibrist
> 118

all his caps are gold