Who performed in "Jaane Kahan Mera"?

C.P. Chandrasekar

Sep 30, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/30/99
Hello,
I was trying to find out who performed in the song "Jaane Kahan Mera Jigar
Gaya Ji" from Mr. and Mrs.55.

My friend claims it was Guru Dutt and Madhubala. While they were the lead
pair no doubt, I am pretty sure that the song was not theirs.

Can anyone clarify?

Thanks
CP Chandrasekar
--
The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the Universe is
that none of it has ever tried to contact us. -- Calvin

CP Chandrasekar, cpcs...@telco.com

Srinivas Ganti

Sep 30, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/30/99
I am sure one of them was Jhonny walker.
The other is Madhubala but this does seem unusual.

Song on Heroine and Joker?
If its true somebody can come up with the sequence in the
movie that led to this song.

Hrishi Dixit

Sep 30, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/30/99

Then Srinivas Ganti wrote:

> I am sure one of them was Jhonny walker.
> The other is Madhubala but this does seem unusual.

Is not. Lady in question is one Yasmeen(?), who apparently has been
discussed before on RMIM.
Potato-face, round eyes, rather pretty. Plays Johnny's love interest in
the movie.

But speaking of songs picturized on Johnny Walker and Madhubala, the one
that promptly springs
to mind is the sprightly "dekhta chala gaya main zindai ki raah mei.n",
a Lata-Rafi duet
from Om Prakash's 'Gateway of India'(1957), composed by Madan Mohan.
Lovely song, delightful
situation - two inebriated bozos (Johnny and his brother Tony? Walker)
trying to detain
Madhubala who they believe is with the constabulary and trying to bust
their illicit liquor
business.

..Hrishi

C.P. Chandrasekar

Sep 30, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/30/99
Hrishi Dixit (hdi...@cysive.com) wrote:
: Is not. Lady in question is one Yasmeen(?), who apparently has been
: discussed before on RMIM.

Thanks for the clarification but..

Yasmeen and a "?" ? :-) Is her or Isn't? Not sure?

Are there any other movies that feature her? I remember her as very
pretty with great expressions during that song..

And the way Johnny expresses "koi ulfat ki nazar zara pher de" is pretty
funny..

:
: But speaking of songs picturized on Johnny Walker and Madhubala, the one
: that promptly springs
: to mind is the sprightly "dekhta chala gaya main zindai ki raah mei.n",
: a Lata-Rafi duet
: from Om Prakash's 'Gateway of India'(1957), composed by Madan Mohan.
: Lovely song, delightful
: situation - two inebriated bozos (Johnny and his brother Tony? Walker)
: trying to detain
: Madhubala who they believe is with the constabulary and trying to bust
: their illicit liquor
: business.

Have never seen this song. The way it is being described, i must see it!

Hrishi Dixit

Sep 30, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/30/99
In article <7t07o2$jfe$1...@ffx2nh3.news.uu.net>,

cpcs...@telco.com (C.P. Chandrasekar) wrote:
> Hrishi Dixit (hdi...@cysive.com) wrote:
> : Is not. Lady in question is one Yasmeen(?), who apparently has been
> : discussed before on RMIM.
>
> Thanks for the clarification but..
>
> Yasmeen and a "?" ? :-) Is her or Isn't? Not sure?

"?" = IIRC.

> Have never seen this song. The way it is being described, i must see
it!

Highly recommended. Gateway of India is available on video.

--
--------------------------
Hrishi Dixit

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

C.P. Chandrasekar

Sep 30, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/30/99
Hrishi Dixit (hdi...@cysive.com) wrote:
:
: First CP Chandrasekar wrote:
: > > Hello,
: > > I was trying to find out who performed in the song "Jaane Kahan Mera Jigar
: > > Gaya Ji" from Mr. and Mrs.55.
:
: > > My friend claims it was Guru Dutt and Madhubala. While they were the lead
: > > pair no doubt, I am pretty sure that the song was not theirs.
:
: > > Can anyone clarify?
:
: Then Srinivas Ganti wrote:
: >
: > I am sure one of them was Jhonny walker.
: > The other is Madhubala but this does seem unusual.
: >
:
: Is not. Lady in question is one Yasmeen(?), who apparently has been
: discussed before on RMIM.
: Potato-face, round eyes, rather pretty. Plays Johnny's love interest in
: the movie.

Heard someone say that it is in fact a person called Shakeela?
Is this true?

--
The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the Universe is
that none of it has ever tried to contact us. -- Calvin

CP Chandrasekar, cpcs...@telco.com
Off: Telco Systems, 63, Nahatan St, Norwood, MA 02062 : Ph # 781 255 5217
Res: 63, Broadway, Apt 3, Norwood, MA 02062 : Ph # 781 440 9508

SKalra902

Sep 30, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/30/99
C.P. Chandrasekhar wrote:

...snipped...

>Heard someone say that it is in fact a person called Shakeela?
>Is this true?

Definitely not Shakeela. She wasn't in the film at all.

Happy listenings.

Satish Kalra

Roop Singh Chandel (Assoc Prof)

Oct 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/1/99
Madhubala + Guru Dutt

**********

> Hello,
> I was trying to find out who performed in the song "Jaane Kahan Mera
> Jigar
> Gaya Ji" from Mr. and Mrs.55.
>
> My friend claims it was Guru Dutt and Madhubala. While they were the
> lead
> pair no doubt, I am pretty sure that the song was not theirs.
>
> Can anyone clarify?
>

> Thanks
> CP Chandrasekar

ni...@my-deja.com

Oct 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/1/99

If I remember correctly, This particular song sequence in shot in an
office. And it was performed by Jonney Walker and some other acteress.
But, surely not Madhubala.

Regards,

Nikam.

Naveen

Oct 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/1/99
Friends,
I have been reading the articles being posted on rmim from quite some time and I
also wish to participate in getting to know more about Indian music.

Coming to the song "Jaane kahan mera jigar...."
I have seen this song many times.It's picturised on Johny Walker and some Russian
female whom Johny Walker supposedly married later on.That I guess,was her first
and the last appearance in movies.I don't remember her name but certainly she is
not Shakela,Madubala or Yasmin.
The only Guru Dutt/Madhubala duet in Mr and Mrs 55 is "Udhar Tum Hassen ho idhar dil
jawan hae...".I think other songs were solos.

Regards
Naveen

"C.P. Chandrasekar" wrote:

> Hrishi Dixit (hdi...@cysive.com) wrote:
> :

> : First CP Chandrasekar wrote:
> : > > Hello,
> : > > I was trying to find out who performed in the song "Jaane Kahan Mera Jigar
> : > > Gaya Ji" from Mr. and Mrs.55.
> :
> : > > My friend claims it was Guru Dutt and Madhubala. While they were the lead
> : > > pair no doubt, I am pretty sure that the song was not theirs.
> :
> : > > Can anyone clarify?

> :

> : Then Srinivas Ganti wrote:
> : >
> : > I am sure one of them was Jhonny walker.
> : > The other is Madhubala but this does seem unusual.
> : >
> :
> : Is not. Lady in question is one Yasmeen(?), who apparently has been
> : discussed before on RMIM.
> : Potato-face, round eyes, rather pretty. Plays Johnny's love interest in
> : the movie.
>

> Heard someone say that it is in fact a person called Shakeela?
> Is this true?
>

> --
> The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the Universe is
> that none of it has ever tried to contact us. -- Calvin
>
> CP Chandrasekar, cpcs...@telco.com

Surajit A. Bose

Oct 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/2/99
In article <7t0161$euh$1...@ffx2nh3.news.uu.net>, cpcs...@telco.com (C.P.
Chandrasekar) wrote:

> Hello,
> I was trying to find out who performed in the song "Jaane Kahan Mera Jigar
> Gaya Ji" from Mr. and Mrs.55.
>
> My friend claims it was Guru Dutt and Madhubala. While they were the lead
> pair no doubt, I am pretty sure that the song was not theirs.

The song is picturized on Johnny Walker and Naaz. Not Shakila, not Yasmeen
(whoever that is), certainly not Madhubala.

Apparently they were a real-life couple too. I remember the song being
shown in a special Chhaya Geet featuring on-screen couples who carried
their romance into real life.

-s

hn...@yahoo.com

Oct 4, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/4/99
In article <sbose-02109...@dialin18.saintmarys.edu>,

sb...@saintmarys.edu (Surajit A. Bose) wrote:

> The song is picturized on Johnny Walker and Naaz. Not Shakila, not
Yasmeen
> (whoever that is), certainly not Madhubala.
>
> Apparently they were a real-life couple too. I remember the song being
> shown in a special Chhaya Geet featuring on-screen couples who carried
> their romance into real life.

Do you mean the same Naaz who was also known as Baby Naaz? If so, then
it wasn't Naaz rolling her eyes to "badi badi ankhiyon se dar gaya
jii". I watched this movie recently and remember the lady's face - it
wasn't Naaz. I tend to think that I saw a Parsi sounding name in the
cast - no it wasn't Honey Irani and certainly not Daisy Irani by any
stretch of imagination. They would have been kids at that time - I
guess same goes for Naaz.

Hema.

Surajit A. Bose

Oct 4, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/4/99
In article <7tajp9$78p$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>, hn...@yahoo.com wrote:

My mistake--the giit kosh shows a Yasmin among the cast of MR AND MRS 55
and no Naaz, so I probably had the two mixed up. Sorry.

-s

il_kh...@my-deja.com

Oct 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/6/99
In article <7t0161$euh$1...@ffx2nh3.news.uu.net>,
cpcs...@telco.com (C.P. Chandrasekar) wrote:
> Hello,
> I was trying to find out who performed in the song "Jaane Kahan Mera
Jigar
> Gaya Ji" from Mr. and Mrs.55.
>
> My friend claims it was Guru Dutt and Madhubala. While they were the
lead
> pair no doubt, I am pretty sure that the song was not theirs.
>
> Can anyone clarify?
>
> Thanks
> CP Chandrasekar

Have seen the various responses to this query. Hrishi
is right. The lady in question was in fact one Yasmin.
But to describe her as "potato-faced" is rather
uncharitable ! I remember reading a reference to her
in "Screen", a couple of years after this movie was
released, where she was referred to as a Parsi girl.
To my knowledge, this was the only film she appeared in.
Johnny Walker's romance (and subsequent marriage) was
with Noor, Shakila's real sister and almost a look -
alike. I think they married in 1956.

Afzal

gu...@my-deja.com

Oct 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/7/99
In article <7tgdrv$e6l$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>,
il_kh...@my-deja.com wrote:

> Have seen the various responses to this query. Hrishi
> is right. The lady in question was in fact one Yasmin.
> But to describe her as "potato-faced" is rather
> uncharitable ! I remember reading a reference to her
> in "Screen", a couple of years after this movie was
> released, where she was referred to as a Parsi girl.
> To my knowledge, this was the only film she appeared in.

Hi All,

Can't wait to get in this discussion of one of my all time
favourite songs. It is picturised on Johny walker and for the
last time YASMIN. She plays Julie.She is pretty. Hrishi said 'potato
shaped'.Please be generous with her :-). She has very good
deep dimples which can probably hold buckets of water ! I will call her
cherubic as she is my personal favourite :-) Johny walker goes ga ga
the first time he sees Julie. And goes on to make comments on her
dimpled cheeks comparing them to 'kashmiri sep' ( kashmiri apples) with
a 'gadda'on it. Julie responds by giving a smile which deepens those
'gaddas'.Another noticable thing abour her is BIG eyes.
Which are apt in the next line of this song "badi badi aakhiyonse
dar gaya ji".

I saw this films last for nth time on 7th sep 99 on a clean video copy.
Geeta Roy is divine and full of her charcteristic flamboyance
in this song. Her combos with rafi are one of the best things in the
world. All guru dutt produced films like cid( this one has shakeela as
heroine and waheeda as vamp),aar paar etc gave us best rafi+geeta+op
songs.

And last on the picturisation( or taking of the song ). it is one of
the most enjoyable fun songs in hindi films . With johny walker and
yasmeen to match him blow by blow( can't find better words here, pardon
me)it is highly watchable. The whole film is recommended.

I was looking for more films of Yasmin, but Afzal said this was her
only fim. That's sad.

rafa...@gmail.com

Aug 7, 2016, 9:12:29 PM8/7/16
On Thursday, 30 September 1999 12:00:00 UTC+5, C.P. Chandrasekar wrote:
> Hello,
> I was trying to find out who performed in the song "Jaane Kahan Mera Jigar
> Gaya Ji" from Mr. and Mrs.55.
>
> My friend claims it was Guru Dutt and Madhubala. While they were the lead
> pair no doubt, I am pretty sure that the song was not theirs.
>
> Can anyone clarify?
>
> Thanks
> CP Chandrasekar
> -- this lady name is Yasmin u can search on google Yasmin actress mr and mrs 55

nanda...@gmail.com

Oct 8, 2017, 1:35:39 AM10/8/17
Johnny Walker & Yasmin

nanda...@gmail.com

Oct 8, 2017, 1:37:43 AM10/8/17
Yasmin is the actress with Johnny Walker

dr.sha...@gmail.com

Nov 11, 2017, 8:57:04 AM11/11/17
On Thursday, September 30, 1999 at 12:30:00 PM UTC+5:30, C.P. Chandrasekar wrote:
> Hello,
> I was trying to find out who performed in the song "Jaane Kahan Mera Jigar
> Gaya Ji" from Mr. and Mrs.55.
>
> My friend claims it was Guru Dutt and Madhubala. While they were the lead
> pair no doubt, I am pretty sure that the song was not theirs.
>
> Can anyone clarify?
>
> Thanks
> CP Chandrasekar
> --
> The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the Universe is
> that none of it has ever tried to contact us. -- Calvin
>
> CP Chandrasekar, cpcs...@telco.com

Johny walker and Noor (his wife)

freedom...@gmail.com

Nov 24, 2017, 9:35:49 PM11/24/17
:) thanks for clearing this up haha .. lovely expressions recorded in the song.

jaimini...@gmail.com

Oct 29, 2018, 6:11:32 AM10/29/18
It’s Yasmin not Madhubala

kartikeya...@gmail.com

Mar 27, 2019, 12:50:05 AM3/27/19
That's vinita butt. Me and Mrs 55 was her first and last film.

srivas...@gmail.com

Jun 21, 2019, 12:09:43 PM6/21/19
On Thursday, 30 September 1999 12:30:00 UTC+5:30, C.P. Chandrasekar wrote:
> Hello,
> I was trying to find out who performed in the song "Jaane Kahan Mera Jigar
> Gaya Ji" from Mr. and Mrs.55.
>
> My friend claims it was Guru Dutt and Madhubala. While they were the lead
> pair no doubt, I am pretty sure that the song was not theirs.
>
> Can anyone clarify?
>
> Thanks
> CP Chandrasekar
> --
> The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the Universe is
> that none of it has ever tried to contact us. -- Calvin
>
> CP Chandrasekar, cpcs...@telco.com

Johny Walker and Yasmin

Tapan Jena

Jul 18, 2021, 4:42:20 PM7/18/21
Found it finally. Its Vinita Butt. I can find only 2 credits on her name. Mr and Mrs 55 and Rail ka Dibba.

Anita Sudhakaran

Aug 19, 2021, 11:28:06 PM8/19/21
On Wednesday, March 27, 2019 at 10:20:05 AM UTC+5:30, kartikeya...@gmail.com wrote:
> That's vinita butt. Me and Mrs 55 was her first and last film.
YES. NOT YASMIN.NOT MADHUBALA. Its VINITA BUTT. Thank you, Kartikeya.
Message has been deleted

Santhanakrishnan Srinivasan

Sep 14, 2021, 12:01:52 PM9/14/21
It is Johnny Walker and Yasmeen - An actress of yester years !

Manish Modi

Jun 9, 2022, 1:20:38 PM6/9/22
The gorgeous dimpled lady opposite Johnny Walker is Vinita Butt. For her first movie, she used the screen name of Yasmin. After that, she began using her own given name - Vinita Butt.

I think she is incredibly beautiful and can purely in terms of beauty hold her own against any film heroine from Bollywood.

https://www.moviefone.com/celebrity/vinita-butt/EqFYOSFdCwskkqm8hHRkt6/main/

Vinita Butt Biography
Born in Rawalpindi on April 3rd, 1937, of Hindu-English parentage, Vinita spent the first seven years of her life in Kashmir. Educated at various hill-station schools, Vini came to Bombay in November 1954, some time after she had done her Senior Cambridge in Bangalore. In Bangalore, she had been a member of the Bangalore Amateur Dramatic Society (the B.A.D.S.) and appeared on the stage in Tagore’s “Sacrifice” and one of J. B. Priestley’s plays. It was in Bangalore that Guru Dutt first saw her and, struck by her good looks and vivacious personality, offered her a film contract. He took some photographs of her back with him to Bombay and then wrote to her, offering her a role. The terms were not exactly flattering and Vini and her mother soon forgot about the episode.

In Bombay Vinita met Anwar Hussein, an old friend of the family, and, through him, Chandulal Shah who gave her a small role in “Oot Patang,” the film he was then making. While working in “Oot Patang”, Vinita visited the Mehboob Studios where, once again she met Guru Dutt, who had gone on the floors with his film, “Mr. & Mrs. 55”. He offered Vinita the role of the Anglo-Indian office girl Julie and she accepted it.

At that time, Vinita’s screen name was Yasmin and her performance, according to the critics, displayed a confidence, ease and aplomb which enabled her to even steal scenes from the seasoned comedian Johnny Walker. It was also at the Mehboob Studios that Vinita met Zul Vellani, who asked her to play Desdemona in a Theatre Group open-air presentation of “Othello.

” This, indirectly, led to her next film contract. Alex D’Arcy, the Hollywood actor who came to India to star in Filmistan’s CinemaScope and Technicolor production, “Bombay Flight 417,” met her and was impressed by her. Her film test, for which she was made up by her future husband, Jimmy Vining, was a great success and Vinita, now using her own name on the screen, landed the role of Rukhmini.

She and Jimmy soon married. (The above biography has been adapted from a Filmfare magazine interview in 1956, courtesy of Cineplot.com)

Abhishesh Sharma

May 22, 2023, 1:01:11 AM5/22/23
On Thursday, 30 September 1999 at 3:00:00 pm UTC+8, C.P. Chandrasekar wrote:
> Hello,
> I was trying to find out who performed in the song "Jaane Kahan Mera Jigar
> Gaya Ji" from Mr. and Mrs.55.
> My friend claims it was Guru Dutt and Madhubala. While they were the lead
> pair no doubt, I am pretty sure that the song was not theirs.
> Can anyone clarify?
> Thanks
> CP Chandrasekar
> --
> The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the Universe is
> that none of it has ever tried to contact us. -- Calvin
> CP Chandrasekar, cpcs...@telco.com
Its Yasmin and Jhonny Walker
Yasmin's IMDB link https://www.imdb.com/name/nm9007290/?ref_=tt_cl_t_5