Ghazal : Rafta Rafta who meri

Unknown

Sep 9, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/9/97

>Rafta rafta woh meri hasti ka saamaan ho gayey,
>Pehlay jaan, phir jaan-e-jaan, phir jaan-e-jaana ho gayey !

Thanks EkMitra for bringing this ghazal back into discussion. I iwas about to
post an article on it anyway. I came across a Mahendra Kapoor-Asha bhonsle duet
from a film called "Hum KahaaN Jaa RaaheN HaiN" which has the same mukhDa as the
Baazi song (starring Aamir Khan and Mamta Kulkarni) but whose tune is more
languid and much closer to the original ghazal. Here are the lyrics of the song.
You can see how closely the lyrics lie to the original. Don't know the
lyricist/MD or other p-stats. Maybe this is another case of the lyricist
changing the wordings from "mushkil" urdu words to easier words :-)))

raftaa raftaa woh hamaare dil ke armaan ho gaye
pehle jaan phir pjaan-e-jaan, phir jaan-e-jaanaa ho gaye

raftaa raftaa woh merii taqdeer kaa saamaan ho gaye
pehle dil phir dilrubaa phir dil ke mehmaa ho gaye

raftaa raftaa unki aa.Nkho.n kaa nashaa (baDne lagaa) 2
pehle mai phir maikadaa phir mai ka tuufaan ho gaye

raftaa raftaa husn nikhraa aur nikhartaa hii gayaa
pehle gul phir gulbadanphir gul kaa daamaa ho gaye

Does anybody have this song or any p-stats for this film?

keep smiling

Nita

kuchh is adaa se aaj woh pehluu_nashii.n rahe
jab tak hamaare paas rahe ham nahii.n rahe
- Jigar

Ashok

Sep 9, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/9/97

In article <5v4fci$1...@drn.zippo.com>, EkMitra says...

The words for this Gazal are in ISB (song number 176).
But there is no information on the poet. Anyone knows?

>Rafta rafta woh meri hasti ka saamaan ho gayey,
>Pehlay jaan, phir jaan-e-jaan, phir jaan-e-jaana ho gayey !

>Din-b-din badnay lagi us husn ki raaniyaan,
^^^^^^^^^
>Pehlay Gul, phir gul-badan, phir gul-badamaan ho gayey !
^^^^^^^^^

>Aap to nazdeek say nazdeek-tar aatay rahey,
>Pehlay dil, phir dilruba, phir dil kay mehmaan ho gayey !

The first word is "rAnAiA.n" (rAnAee is grace, tenderness,
beauty).

And is the second word "gul_badAnA.n"?
Not sure if it means anything different from "gul_badan".

There is one more sher, of which the second misra I find
very interesting:

pyaar jab had se ba.Dhaa, saare takalluf miT gae
aap se phir tum hue, phir tu kaa unvaa.n ho gae

A variation of the Gazal showed up in a 1960s film,
'Ham Kahaan Ja Rahe Hain'. I don't remember who claimed
lyricist "credit" for it. The tune by Basant Prakash is
superb and the singers were Mahendra Kapoor and Asha.
Here are the lyrics, posted sometime ago by Surajit Bose.

raftaa raftaa vo mere ha.Nstii kaa saamaa.n ho gaye
pehle dil phir dilrubaa phir dil ke meh_maa.N ho gaye

raftaa raftaa vo hamaare dil ke armaa.N ho gaye
pehle jaa.N phir jaan-e-jaa.N phir jaan-e-jaanaa ho gaye

raftaa raftaa hus_n nikhraa aur nikhartaa hii gayaa
pehle gul, phir gulbadan, phir gulbadaamaa ho gaye

raftaa raftaa unkii aa.Nkho.n kaa nashaa baDhane lagaa
pehle mai, phir maikadaa, phir mai ka tuufaa.N ho gaye

Ashok

PS: raanaaiaa.n triggers the lovely Rafi song in my
mind:

tum chale jaaogi, parchhaaiaa.n reh jaaengi
kuchh na kuchh husn ki, raanaaiyaa.n reh jaaengi

Shagun: Sahir: Khayyam

EkMitra

Sep 9, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/9/97

One of my first comeback posts had the request for Aap se tum, tum se tu hone
lage - And when Someone (uvr? abhay ?) had posted the ghazal I had said no there
is some other version of the Ghazal which I was looking for ( Thanks for the
Ghazal anyway - sincerely ). Well, in the solitude of my extended evening - the
ghazal came back to me in entirity - - The similar meter confused me between
these two ghazals

The lyrics first - and if you care to read on some comments on my conversation
with Ghulam Ali. This is a very simple ghazal - but I will translate because I
know a few people who read this group avidly but do not grasp hindi/urdu well.
UVR correct me if I am terribly wrong in its translation..

Rafta rafta woh meri hasti ka saamaan ho gayey,
Pehlay jaan, phir jaan-e-jaan, phir jaan-e-jaana ho gayey !

[ Note : These meanings are a rough translation to the best of my capability -
if you have a better way to do more justice to the ghazal - email me - and I
will collect the meanings and repost them with just *CREDITS* to you - this way
we can make us the Ghazal lovers less obnoxious to the people who prefer other
forms of indian music - also, I agree with the last person who posted that it
was much ado about nothing - and I apologize to have started it in the first
place ]
{ Slowly but Surely, she became part of my existance
She started as my love, then became my life - and then she became every reason
for my living itself }
[ Note : jaan, jaan-e-jaan, jaan-e-jaana - Ooooh... ]

Din-b-din badnay lagi us husn ki raaniyaan,

Pehlay Gul, phir gul-badan, phir gul-badamaan ho gayey !

{ With the passing of every single day, her beauty blossomed in many ways
She was but a rose-bud, transcending into a delicate rose and then the fully
blossomed rose-garden itself}

Aap to nazdeek say nazdeek-tar aatay rahey,
Pehlay dil, phir dilruba, phir dil kay mehmaan ho gayey !

{ You inched closer to me in many subtle ways,
first you were part of my throbbing heart, then part of my life's love till you
finally became part of me }

Rafta rafta woh meri hasti ka saamaan ho gayey,

Pehlay jaan, phir jaan-e-jaan, phir jaanayjaana ho gayey !

---------------

I met Ghulam Ali, and had asked him why the choice of his Ghazals have shifted
from the more subtle to the ones he frequents now - This was after a Show where
I really did not enjoy Ghulam Ali as much as I had dreamt I would - and he told
me that it is because of the audience that frequents his shows and he is but a
messenger out to please them - and I asked him about Ranjish hi sahi - saying
that this would universally please everyone - and he said that people get
distracted by the difficult words - and lose patience - We then chanced upon
this Ghazal - which he agreed was simple and beautiful and he sang impromptu
right in the Indian Restaurant without any musical accompanyment - and it truly
made the months hard work in Organizing a Ghulam Ali show worth it -

His son who was tired and sleepy - and looked irked by this singing only lighted
up when I mentioned Shahid Afridi's Incredible cricket innings a few evening
back in Canada

We also talked about Hungama hain kyon barpa and how the crowd thinks it is
about drinking and it has become popular for the wrong reasons..

U.V. Ravindra

Sep 9, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/9/97

EkMitra wrote:

> One of my first comeback posts had the request for Aap se tum, tum se
> tu hone lage - And when Someone (uvr? abhay ?) had posted the ghazal I
> had said no there is some other version of the Ghazal which I was
> looking for ( Thanks for the Ghazal anyway - sincerely ). Well, in the
> solitude of my extended evening - the ghazal came back to me in
> entirity - - The similar meter confused me between these two ghazals
>
> The lyrics first - and if you care to read on some comments on my
> conversation with Ghulam Ali. This is a very simple ghazal - but I
> will translate because I know a few people who read this group avidly
> but do not grasp hindi/urdu well. UVR correct me if I am terribly
> wrong in its translation..

Three points:

a. You seem to have forgotten to mention the very sh'er that you
claim reminded you of this Ghazal in the first place, and
that is:
pyaar jab hadd se baD.hA saare takalluf miT gaye
aap se phir tum hue, phir tU kaa unwaaN ho gaye
[takalluf=formalities]
:) guess you were too busy gushing forth :)

b. The more popular version of this Ghazal is rendered by Mehdi
Hassan. He sings it in almost all this concerts and there is even
a film version of this Ghazal sung by him. What was the [Pakistani]
film name Azmat/Zeenat [Mehnat/Minnat ... :)]?

c. How is the meter of this Ghazal similar to the one Abhay (not me :)
posted on upon your request? That Ghazal was
ranj ki jab guftagu hone lagi
aap se tum, tum se tu hone lagi
This is a Ghazal of a much shorter behr, and, what is more, even
the "topic" of the Ghazal (to steal a phrase coined by Abhay) is
entirely different!

And now for a few 'cosmetic' points: it's "jaan-e-janaaN" meaning,
literally, "life of lives" (the very reason for existence, like you
say). gul-ba-daamaaN means 'woh, jiska daaman phooloN se bhara hua
ho'. Slightly different from your interpretation, I'd say.

I'd also like to draw RMIM's attention to the progression of ideas in
the line "pehle dil, phir dilrubaa, phir dil ke mehmaaN ho gaye".
mehmaan -- guest -- is a person whom one invites to one's place :)
She is so dear to him that he has invited her to live in his heart
(forever) :)

Enjoy!
Ravindra.
Layered thought can be found, if you look for it :)

U.V. Ravindra

Sep 10, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/10/97
to ADhar...@worldbank.org

(Ashok) wrote:

> The first word is "rAnAiA.n" (rAnAee is grace, tenderness,
> beauty).
>
> And is the second word "gul_badAnA.n"?
> Not sure if it means anything different from "gul_badan".

The word is gul-ba-daamaa.N -- vo, jiska daaman gulo.n se
bharaa huaa ho!

> There is one more sher, of which the second misra I find
> very interesting:
>
> pyaar jab had se ba.Dhaa, saare takalluf miT gae
> aap se phir tum hue, phir tu kaa unvaa.n ho gae

Interesting it is -- it versifies the increasing degrees of
affection. Contrast it with the 'other' aap-tum-tu sh'er:

ranj ki jab guftagu hone lagi
aap se tum, tum se tu hone lagi

this one versifies the decreasing degress of respect! 'tu'
is both the highest degree of endearment and the most disrespectful
degree of appellation! :)

Or, to put it differently, both KhudA and shaitAn are called 'tu'.
Another one of those Set A v/s Set B things? :-))

> A variation of the Gazal showed up in a 1960s film,
> 'Ham Kahaan Ja Rahe Hain'. I don't remember who claimed
> lyricist "credit" for it. The tune by Basant Prakash is
> superb and the singers were Mahendra Kapoor and Asha.
> Here are the lyrics, posted sometime ago by Surajit Bose.

[snip] This here, below, is the sh'er that I liked the
best in the film version of the Ghazal.

> raftaa raftaa unkii aa.Nkho.n kaa nashaa baDhane lagaa
> pehle mai, phir maikadaa, phir mai ka tuufaa.N ho gaye

Nice, very nice! Incidentally, the Mehdi Hassan Pakistani
film version Ghazal was written by Tasleem Fazli and was
set to music by Nashad (of 'jalte hai.n jis ke liye' fame).

Ravindra.

> Ashok

Mogul TV

May 28, 2021, 7:12:41 PM5/28/21
On Tuesday, September 9, 1997 at 1:00:00 PM UTC+6, Ashok wrote:
> In article <5v4fci$1...@drn.zippo.com>, EkMitra says...
> The words for this Gazal are in ISB (song number 176).
> But there is no information on the poet. Anyone knows?
> >Rafta rafta woh meri hasti ka saamaan ho gayey,
> >Pehlay jaan, phir jaan-e-jaan, phir jaan-e-jaana ho gayey !
> >Din-b-din badnay lagi us husn ki raaniyaan,
> ^^^^^^^^^
> >Pehlay Gul, phir gul-badan, phir gul-badamaan ho gayey !
> ^^^^^^^^^
> >Aap to nazdeek say nazdeek-tar aatay rahey,
> >Pehlay dil, phir dilruba, phir dil kay mehmaan ho gayey !
> The first word is "rAnAiA.n" (rAnAee is grace, tenderness,
> beauty).
> And is the second word "gul_badAnA.n"?
> Not sure if it means anything different from "gul_badan".
> There is one more sher, of which the second misra I find
> very interesting:
> pyaar jab had se ba.Dhaa, saare takalluf miT gae
> aap se phir tum hue, phir tu kaa unvaa.n ho gae
>
> A variation of the Gazal showed up in a 1960s film,
> 'Ham Kahaan Ja Rahe Hain'. I don't remember who claimed
> lyricist "credit" for it. The tune by Basant Prakash is
> superb and the singers were Mahendra Kapoor and Asha.
> Here are the lyrics, posted sometime ago by Surajit Bose.
>
> raftaa raftaa vo mere ha.Nstii kaa saamaa.n ho gaye
> pehle dil phir dilrubaa phir dil ke meh_maa.N ho gaye
> raftaa raftaa vo hamaare dil ke armaa.N ho gaye
> pehle jaa.N phir jaan-e-jaa.N phir jaan-e-jaanaa ho gaye
> raftaa raftaa hus_n nikhraa aur nikhartaa hii gayaa
> pehle gul, phir gulbadan, phir gulbadaamaa ho gaye
> raftaa raftaa unkii aa.Nkho.n kaa nashaa baDhane lagaa
> pehle mai, phir maikadaa, phir mai ka tuufaa.N ho gaye
>
> Ashok
>
> PS: raanaaiaa.n triggers the lovely Rafi song in my
> mind:
> tum chale jaaogi, parchhaaiaa.n reh jaaengi
> kuchh na kuchh husn ki, raanaaiyaa.n reh jaaengi
> Shagun: Sahir: Khayyam
Nice discussion