Talat Mehmood - a documentary

Sukesh

Apr 1, 2007, 9:46:17 AM4/1/07
A message from Khalid Mahmood

QUOTE
A MUST SEE DOCUMENTARY FOR ALL TALAT MAHMOOD FANS !
In 2005 a documentary YAADEN -TALAT MAHMOOD (45 minutes) was made and
shown nationally to much acclaim and appreciation. This is available
for free download at

http://www.talatmahmood.net/listen_to_audio.htm

Do not miss it !

UNQUOTE

Regards
Sukesh

Afzal A. Khan

Apr 1, 2007, 8:31:52 PM4/1/07

I haven't yet seen this documentary. But I recollect that a very
fine documentary was shown on Doordarshan in the summer of 1987.
IIRC, it was a Satuday. And announcements about it had been made
in advance. At that time, other TV channels were not available in
India. There is one more "happening" or "event" that I remember
taking place in the same week. There was some sort of a French
Festival that took place in Bombay. Some special cultural dele-
gations visited Bombay and important programmes were conducted.
Offices had emptied by 2.00 p.m., as the Documentary was to be
shown at 3.00 p.m. It was hugely enjoyed by a nation-wide audi-
ence numbered in the millions. A very popular TV announcer-cum-
anchor had conducted the interview, probably Sarita Sethi.

Talat wasn't keeping good health at the time, but his hospitable
nature and urbane manners were on full display. IIRC, part of the
interview had been conducted at the breakfast table, with Talat
constantly urging Ms. Sethi to have some more of this and that
delicacy.

Later, I will no doubt see this present documentary too and see
how it compares with the earlier one --- or indeed if it is the
same one being re-aired.

Afzal

Pavan Jha

Apr 4, 2007, 3:51:40 AM4/4/07
A big Disappointment!!!

Even I thought It is the one shown on DD in late 80s.. But the one
available on the site is some of the episodes of TV Serial "Yaadein"
presented by Pratibha Advani (aired a few years back and not only
talat saab but, all most all the episodes on other artists are
presented on a medicore level). What was shocking is that the so
called documentary starts with a photograph of Talat saab and Khalid
Mahmood which gives you a hint of a really interesting documentary on
Talat saab and the photo eventually turns out an advertisement of
Shahid Mahmood's concert "Ek Shaam Talat ke Naam".

The 80s DD documantary was indeed (I think it was done by Sharad Dutt)
fantastic and snapshots of that still lingers on

Pavan

Sukesh

Apr 4, 2007, 4:35:55 AM4/4/07

Pavan Jha wrote:
> A big Disappointment!!!
>
> Even I thought It is the one shown on DD in late 80s.. But the one
> available on the site is some of the episodes of TV Serial "Yaadein"
> presented by Pratibha Advani (aired a few years back and not only
> talat saab but, all most all the episodes on other artists are
> presented on a medicore level). What was shocking is that the so
> called documentary starts with a photograph of Talat saab and Khalid
> Mahmood which gives you a hint of a really interesting documentary on
> Talat saab and the photo eventually turns out an advertisement of
> Shahid Mahmood's concert "Ek Shaam Talat ke Naam".
>
> The 80s DD documantary was indeed (I think it was done by Sharad Dutt)
> fantastic and snapshots of that still lingers on
>
> Pavan

Thanks for fore warning me. I would not download now and watch.

What else one can expect from Pratibha Advani. She gets do the the
shows on government media or others, solely on account of being L K
Advani's daughter and he has to be kept in good humour.

But then excellence in knowledge and presentations re : hindi films
and songs is in short supply.

Regards
Sukesh