Has Mughal-E-Azam been re-censored?

Pavan Jha

Nov 24, 2004, 1:55:57 PM11/24/04
Haven't seen it as yet.. but heard that the titles have been changed with
credits to new team also..
has this version been issuesd a new censor certificate as Mughal-E-Azam (in
color)? Any one noticed that?

Pavan

Afzal A. Khan

Nov 24, 2004, 3:04:47 PM11/24/04

The movie is yet to be released in the US.
But I am sure a new Certificate must have been
issued. Even otherwise, it is customary to issue
a new Censor Certificate every ten years, whenever
some old movie is re-released.

Afzal

V S Rawat वी एस रावत

Nov 24, 2004, 9:41:33 PM11/24/04
Afzal A. Khan wrote:

> Pavan Jha wrote:
>
>> Haven't seen it as yet.. but heard that the titles have
>> been changed with credits to new team also.. has this
>> version been issuesd a new censor certificate as
>> Mughal-E-Azam (in color)? Any one noticed that?
>>
>> Pavan
>

> The movie is yet to be released in the US. But I am sure
> a new Certificate must have been issued.

I think the date on the new certificate was 4 Nov, 2004.

> Even otherwise, it is customary to issue a new Censor
> Certificate every ten years, whenever some old movie is
> re-released.

I think that re-certification of old *unchanged*
movies has been done away with.

I had noticed some certificate showing date more than 10
years old in some movie. Not able to recall.
-----------

What could be the logic behind recertification every 10 years.

In India, it is logical to think that social norms and
thinking will become a little more tolerant and open with
the course of time, especially when something gets presented
in a film.

Thus, it is unlikely that what people did not find
censorable 10 years ago would be found censorable now.

In can only be the other way round, that what people find
censorable 10 years ago, they might find not worth censoring
now. In that case, whatever film got "A" 40 years ago can be
given "U" now.

I wonder whether it is happening.
-----------

If so, board should see the full original movie that was
presented to them for looking into. If they had deleted some
scenes from Barsat 50 years ago, they should allow those
scenes again because such scenes will be considered child's
play now.

All those kiss scenes which were deleted pre-80s can be
re-introduced in re-censoring.

-----------
I think that re-censoring could have been effective in
ancient times when films were shown in cinema halls. Then
there was control on the "reels" and it can be found what
was being shown in a hall.

With Video cassette, VCD, DVD taking their avataar, a movie
might get released and lie in some shop/ storeroom for 10,
20, 30 or more years before getting sold. The buyer and
viewer might not bother whether the film has been certified
in last 10 years or not.

Unless there is a rule that all video can be sold only till
its certificate is valid.

In that case, for songs video compilations, they should
show censor certificate of individual song.

--
Rawat

Sudhir with Mr Bhaloo

Nov 14, 2021, 9:35:35 AM11/14/21
For Last few months I have been trying to Cross-Check
Run Time vs FULL MOVIES / DVD / VCD disks.

For Mugha-e-Azam the info is:

Mughal-e-Azam 191.54 min 5264.50 meter CB site
(Dated: Apr 8 1960 ie of Initial Release in Aug 1960)

In Sept 2020, I was able to download FULL MOVIE at YouTube,
uploaded by Classic Cinema - but now DELETED) because my
3 disk VCD by Shemaroo got damaged) The 2 versions are
same, though not of same run-time. Shemaroo's VCD are
generally at 25 fps

It's Run-Time is: 197:05 min (Frame: 1.33x 24 fps) ie 11:38 min
longer

SUDHIR /// Nov 14 2021

CB site URL: https://www.cbfcindia.gov.in/main/search_film.html