Michael Kinnear has (probably) passed away

naniwadekar

Mar 24, 2011, 2:02:34 PM3/24/11

There are unconfirmed reports that Michael Kinnear (b 1948) is no
more.

It was his ambition to compile encyclopaedia of Indian Gramophone
Records. His research work is monumental. He became disillusioned that
his work attracted less interest than he had expected. He published a
few books which did not sell well at all. Suresh Chandvankar tried his
best to find market for the books but the demand just wasn't there. He
went into hibernation in 2006, and it was said that he was researching
the life of Aborigines in his native Australia. Now some sources are
claiming that he is no more. His wife has not responded to queries by
Chandvankar. Please share any information with the music community if
anybody knows anything about Kinnear since 2006.

He had certainly established himself as one of the most formidable
researchers in the filed of Indian music while he was active. His
disillusionment was a sad loss. Now he may not even be amongst us any
more.

naniwadekar

Mar 24, 2011, 2:04:34 PM3/24/11

(Cross-posting to RMIC)

surjit singh

Mar 24, 2011, 3:12:44 PM3/24/11

So sad. I am a big fan of his and have bought all his books.

naniwadekar

Mar 24, 2011, 5:12:29 PM3/24/11
Michael Kinnear had withdrawn completely from Indian music around
2006. He had issued a very terse response to an email I had sent. It
was obvious that he did not want to continue the conversation and I
let the matter drop, so it turned out to be the only time we exchanged
messages.

Later I learned from Suresh Chandvankar and Sreenivas Paruchuri that
he had abandoned the topic of Indian music completely, which explained
the brevity of his response to me. Sureshji's last contact with him
was in 2006. Kinnear's disillusionment is an eloquent indictment of
the musical scene in modern India.

- dn

naniwadekar

Mar 24, 2011, 5:44:20 PM3/24/11
On Mar 24, 12:12 pm, surjit singh wrote:

> So sad. I am a big fan of his and have bought all his books.

While Kinnear was hurt by the apathy, it should be added that his
books were on the expensive side. Vishwas Nerurkar had printed 2000
copies of the Lata-Kosh in 1989, and its price, Rs 200 or 300, was
reasonable. Yet, I was told that in the first 3-4 years, less than
half the copies were sold.

- dn

kcp

Mar 25, 2011, 12:19:34 AM3/25/11

Yes, true. Selling less copies, makes a person ( who has rightfully
taken so much pains to bring out the labour of love in the form of a
book ) take ridiculous/wrong decisions. No wonder these people become
real apathetic !

Very sad very sad !!

RIP

Madhukar Rajasthani

Mar 25, 2011, 1:01:26 AM3/25/11

But no one knows that he is, in fact, dead. All I have been able to
gather so far is that Naniwadekar thinks that probably he is dead
because this guy's wife has not responded to messages from
Chandawarkar. Why RIP the guy based on speculation?

dn.usenet

Mar 25, 2011, 2:32:12 AM3/25/11

"Madhukar Rajasthani" wrote :

> But no one knows that he is, in fact, dead. All I have been
> able to gather so far is that Naniwadekar thinks that
> probably he is dead because this guy's wife has not
> responded to messages from Chandawarkar.
> Why RIP the guy based on speculation?

Shri Rajasthani: Please do not make foolish posts.

Some sources (not known to me, but known to Chandvankar) are saying that
Kinnear has passed away. My source is Suresh Chandvankar, a fairly reliable
source. I am not thinking that he is dead 'because this guy's wife has not
responded to messages from Chandawarkar (sic)'. You are an idiot to make
such an assertion. And Chandvankar would not contact his wife about such a
matter unless he saw good reason to do so. I have duly indicated a measure
of doubt about the news. It is not unreasonable on the part of Prof Surjit
Singh and Kaustubh Pingale to mourn the loss in such a case.

- dn

dn.usenet

Mar 25, 2011, 3:45:02 AM3/25/11

(The following message is better suited to this thread, I think. So, posting
it again. Sorry for its multiple postings.)

Several rmim/rmic posters are in receipt of a private exchange of
emails, initiated by Suresh Chandvankar and later propogated by
others, about Michael Kinnear's death. Some of them must have read the
tribute penned by Chandvankar in which he has talked at length about
his association with Kinnear. It would be appropriate to wait for the
tribute to be published under Chandvankar's own name before its
contents, the author willing, can be shared with the forum.

The forum would no doubt receive updates, if any. Of course, everybody
would be happiest if the news of Kinnear's death is proved wrong.

- dn

Madhukar Rajasthani

Mar 26, 2011, 1:59:51 AM3/26/11
On Mar 24, 11:32 pm, "dn.usenet" <dn.use...@gmail.com> wrote:
> "Madhukar Rajasthani"  wrote :
>

> > But no one knows that he is, in fact, dead. All I have been
> > able to gather so far is that Naniwadekar thinks that
> > probably he is dead because this guy's wife has not
> > responded to messages from Chandawarkar.
> > Why RIP the guy based on speculation?
>
> Shri Rajasthani: Please do not make foolish posts.

Sorry. I did not know that you had worldwide copyright on foolish
posts.

MR

naniwadekar

Mar 27, 2011, 11:16:03 PM3/27/11

A small update on the late(?) Michael Kinnear.
Suresh Chandvankar has published an article in Loksatta, the Marathi
daily.
Its link:
http://www.loksatta.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=145286:2011-03-25-15-06-25&catid=305:2010-12-30-21-48-16&Itemid=307

I had received the English version of this article from him a few days
ago which had prompted my first post in the thread. As already
mentioned, Chandvankar has heard that Michael Kinnear has passed away.
Kinnear's friends are trying to verify the news. His wife has not
responded so far to any query.

Kinnear had a thing for the Kirana titan Abdul Karim Khan. Khansahib's
daughter Hirabai Barodekar had hosted him while he was researching a
book on the founder of Kirana Gharana. The book was revised several
times until Kinnear was satisfied with it. It sold 50 copies. The
remaining copies were sold by Kinnear by their weight in raddi when he
became disillusioned with music. Apparently some of the things he had
sold off keep appearing and disappearing on the e-bay site. The
website he had started (bajakhana dot org-or-com) has long since been
discontinued.

- dn

rajedi...@gmail.com

Dec 5, 2012, 12:52:10 AM12/5/12
On Saturday, March 26, 2011 11:29:51 AM UTC+5:30, Madhukar Rajasthani wrote:
> On Mar 24, 11:32 pm, "dn.usenet" <dn.use...@gmail.com> wrote: > "Madhukar Rajasthani"  wrote :>>> > > But no one knows that he is, in fact, dead. All I have been > > able to gather so far is that Naniwadekar thinks that > > probably he is dead because this guy's wife has not > > responded to messages from Chandawarkar. > > Why RIP the guy based on speculation?> > Shri Rajasthani: Please do not make foolish posts.>Sorry. I did not know that you had worldwide copyright on foolishposts. MR

I would like to inform you that the information regarding Michael Kinnear – no more – is totally false, and inaccurate reports circulated by Suresh Chankvankar are very disturbing and distressing to myself to have to read and then to try and rectify. Both Michael and I (I am his wife ) who is responding to your blog, would like to put the records straight that we are both well and very much alive living in Australia (http://nothingtodeclare.in/2011/06/19/good-news-michael-kinnear-is-alive/).

advent...@gmail.com

Nov 15, 2017, 1:34:21 AM11/15/17
Hello Michael and Jenny

this is quresh varawala

hope you are doing well

regards

lac...@liquidlabs.com.au

Oct 18, 2018, 7:05:30 PM10/18/18
Hi There. Whilst this is an old thread - it is still showing up on the front page of Google for his name.

I am confirming that Michael Kinnear is alive and well.
Source: He is my uncle.