Who wrote "Raghupati Raghav Raja Ram"

Anurag Shankar

Dec 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/13/99
Hi all,

Can someone who knows please help this lady? Thanks.

--Anurag

| Hi Mr. Shankar,
| I've just been browsing your very useful website. I wonder if you can
| help with a bit of research I'm doing on the Raghupati Raga bhajan. I
| was trying to find out who wrote it and where it comes from. I thought,
| since you have developed this site you may have heard from people who
| know about some of the music.
| I have heard that it's associate with Gandhi, but there's some
| confusion about whether he actually wrote it or not. Anyway, any help
| you can give would be most appreciated.
|
| Thanks
| Sheyfali
|
| Sheyfali Saujani <ssau...@toronto.cbc.ca>
| CBC Radio News and Syndication
| 416-205-2375
| 205-5959 fax
| Box 500 Station A
| Toronto, Ontario
| M5W IE6

Rajan P. Parrikar

Dec 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/13/99
Anurag Shankar wrote:

The lyric is most probably from the Ramcharitamanas of Tulsidas.
Tulsi frequently uses "Raghupati," "Patita-pAvana" for Shri Rama.
The tune that is familiar to all Indians is due to the great
saint-musician-guru-reformer and Ram bhakta, Vishnu Digambar
Paluskar. He used to accompany Gandhiji on the latter's
tours and speech engagements and sing at those gatherings.

Warm regards,

SKalra902

Dec 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/13/99
Mr. Parikakr wrote:

>The lyric is most probably from the Ramcharitamanas of Tulsidas.
>Tulsi frequently uses "Raghupati," "Patita-pAvana" for Shri Rama.
>The tune that is familiar to all Indians is due to the great
>saint-musician-guru-reformer and Ram bhakta, Vishnu Digambar
>Paluskar. He used to accompany Gandhiji on the latter's
>tours and speech engagements and sing at those gatherings.
>
>Warm regards,

It could be from the Ramcharit Manas. But I was always under the impression
somehow that the lyrics were traditional - meaning there is no specific person
credited with the words. Gandhiji's contribution may have been the addition of
"Iishwar allah tero naam.." lines.

Happy listenings.

Satish Kalra

S44218

Dec 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/14/99
I have to agree with Satish on this one. I just don't remember Raghupati
Raghav" at all in the Ramcaritmanas.The really famous lines out of that are the
chhandas from the Bal Kanda "Bhay Pragat Kripala"
"Jai Jai Sura Nayaka" and a chhand descrinbing Sita performing Devi puja before
her marriage to Rama. Raghupati Raghava is definitely is not in the Vinaya
Patrika ( I was reading this during the morning today) or Tulsi's other works.

I think (for whatever small value it has) that it is a "traditional" bhajan
which was popularized, as Rajan as rightly said, by Acharya Vishnu Digambar
Paluskar, his son Dattatreya Vishnu Paluskar, and by Gandhiji in his prayer
meetings.

Sandip.

Rajan P. Parrikar

Dec 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/14/99
s44...@aol.com (Sandip) wrote:

>I think (for whatever small value it has) that it is a "traditional" bhajan
>which was popularized, as Rajan as rightly said, by Acharya Vishnu Digambar
>Paluskar,

I said more than that; Vishnu Digambar Paluskar conceived the tune to
begin with. You are correct about it not being in the Ramcaritamanas
or in other works of Tulsidas.

I just looked through a commemorative booklet on Vishnu Digambarji.
The lyric of "Raghupati Raghava Rajaram" is attributed as a mantra
to the 17th century Marathi saint-poet Ramdas. I am now curious to
know if it is in Ramdas' magnum opus "Dasbodha."

Warm regards,

Suprakash Datta

Dec 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/14/99
If I may digress a little, are there any commercially available
recordings of the senior Paluskar?

Thanks,
-Suprakash

Rajan P. Parrikar

Dec 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/15/99
ADhar...@WorldBank.Org (Ashok wrote):

>In article <834uib$1r...@drn.newsguy.com>, parr...@colorado.edu says...

>>I said more than that; Vishnu Digambar Paluskar conceived the tune to
>>begin with. You are correct about it not being in the Ramcaritamanas
>>or in other works of Tulsidas.
>>
>>I just looked through a commemorative booklet on Vishnu Digambarji.
>>The lyric of "Raghupati Raghava Rajaram" is attributed as a mantra
>>to the 17th century Marathi saint-poet Ramdas. I am now curious to
>>know if it is in Ramdas' magnum opus "Dasbodha."
>>
>>Warm regards,

>I suppose Rajan means just the opening couplet of the favourite
>bhajan of Gandhi's. I find it unlikely that the words of
>"raghupati raaghava .." as we know them came from Ramdas.
>
>Firstly, Didn't Ramdas write in Marathi? (What is the form called?
>Oovi?) Of course, Sankrit word clumps can show up in Marathi,
>but not modern Hindi words!

I meant the opening couplet only. The later add-ons (eeaswara
allAh etc) are certainly not due to Ramdas.

Another Ramdas mantra is the popular "Shree Rama Jai Rama Jai Jai Rama,"
sometimes used as a refrain in Marathi devotional songs.

>Some RMIM/RMIC style questions:
>
>1. Which is the raaga for the typical way the bhajan is sung?
>Is it Gara?

The Gara element is strong; however Vishnu Digambar used to
refer to his tune as Badhamsa.

>2. Is there a definitive set of words for the bhajan?

It has been eons since I last heard D.V. Paluskar's recording.
Does he sing anything beyond the first couplet?

Warm regards,

ps: The following two sites have some material on Samarth Ramdas.

http://www.SivanandaDlshq.org/saints/samartha_ramdas.htm
http://www.ramdas.org

Ashok

Dec 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/16/99
In article <834uib$1r...@drn.newsguy.com>, parr...@colorado.edu says...

>s44...@aol.com (Sandip) wrote:
>
>I said more than that; Vishnu Digambar Paluskar conceived the tune to
>begin with. You are correct about it not being in the Ramcaritamanas
>or in other works of Tulsidas.
>
>I just looked through a commemorative booklet on Vishnu Digambarji.
>The lyric of "Raghupati Raghava Rajaram" is attributed as a mantra
>to the 17th century Marathi saint-poet Ramdas. I am now curious to
>know if it is in Ramdas' magnum opus "Dasbodha."
>
>Warm regards,

I suppose Rajan means just the opening couplet of the favourite
bhajan of Gandhi's. I find it unlikely that the words of
"raghupati raaghava .." as we know them came from Ramdas.

Firstly, Didn't Ramdas write in Marathi? (What is the form called?
Oovi?) Of course, Sankrit word clumps can show up in Marathi,
but not modern Hindi words!

Secondly, only a fragment at most of the bhajan could have come
from "jai raghuveera samartha" Ramdas. Otherwise, it would indeed
be quite ironic if "eeshwara allaa tero naam" was penned by the
person in whose name Shivaji ruled! Anything is possible, I
suppose. Do try to confirm it. Even if it's only the kernel
of the Gandhi bhajan that came from Ramdas, it would be interesting
to confront Bal Thakre with it.

Some RMIM/RMIC style questions:

1. Which is the raaga for the typical way the bhajan is sung?
Is it Gara?

2. Is there a definitive set of words for the bhajan? I have
come across the following couplets as being part of the bhajan:

raghupati raaghava raajaaraam
patita paavana seetaaraam

seetaaraam jaya seetaaraam
bhaja pyaare tu seetaaraam
(bhaja mana pyaare seetaaraam?)

eeshvara allaa tero (tere?) naam
sab ko sanmati de bhagavaan

jaya raghuna.ndana jaya siya raam
jaanaki vallabha seetaaraam

Any more?

Ashok

piyushg...@gmail.com

Aug 11, 2016, 3:47:00 PM8/11/16
It written by the "Laxmanacharya" and text/lyrics were taken from "Shri Nama Ramayanama"

surjit singh

Nov 3, 2016, 11:06:18 PM11/3/16
On Thursday, August 11, 2016 at 12:47:00 PM UTC-7, piyushg...@gmail.com wrote:
> It written by the "Laxmanacharya" and text/lyrics were taken from "Shri Nama Ramayanama"

Thanks

deven shroff

Apr 4, 2017, 11:35:06 AM4/4/17
On Friday, 12 August 2016 01:17:00 UTC+5:30, piyushg...@gmail.com wrote:
> It written by the "Laxmanacharya" and text/lyrics were taken from "Shri Nama Ramayanama"

Yes it is written by Lakshmanacharya ,the Vaishnava poet. However it doesnot figure anywhere in the Nama Ramayanam. The Nama Ramayanam is a very short work and you can verify the truth of this by simply glancing through the whole work. (not more than 4 pages)

bhaska...@gmail.com

Jun 15, 2017, 12:34:29 PM6/15/17
On Monday, December 13, 1999 at 3:00:00 AM UTC-5, Anurag Shankar wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Can someone who knows please help this lady? Thanks.
>
> --Anurag
>
> | Hi Mr. Shankar,
> | I've just been browsing your very useful website. I wonder if you can
> | help with a bit of research I'm doing on the Raghupati Raga bhajan. I
> | was trying to find out who wrote it and where it comes from. I thought,
> | since you have developed this site you may have heard from people who
> | know about some of the music.
> | I have heard that it's associate with Gandhi, but there's some
> | confusion about whether he actually wrote it or not. Anyway, any help
> | you can give would be most appreciated.
> |
> | Thanks
> | Sheyfali
> |
> | Sheyfali Saujani <ssau...@toronto.cbc.ca>
> | CBC Radio News and Syndication
> | 416-205-2375
> | 205-5959 fax
> | Box 500 Station A
> | Toronto, Ontario
> | M5W IE6

भारत में महाभारत का एक श्लोक अधूरा पढाया जाता है क्यों ??
शायद #गांधी जी की वजह से।

"अहिंसा परमो धर्मः"

जबकि पूर्ण श्लोक इस तरह से है:-

"अहिंसा परमो धर्मः,
धर्महिंसा तदैव च l

अर्थात - अहिंसा मनुष्य का परम धर्म है
और धर्म की रक्षा के लिए हिंसा करना उस से भी श्रेष्ठ है..🕉

#गांधीजी ने सिर्फ इस ☝श्लोक को ही नहीं बल्कि उसके अलावा उन्होंने एक प्रसिद्ध भजन को बदल दिया...

-'रघुपति राघव राजा राम'

इस प्रसिद्ध-भजन का नाम है.
."राम-धुन" .
जो कि बेहद लोकप्रिय भजन था.. गाँधी ने इसमें परिवर्तन करते हुए अल्लाह शब्द जोड़ दिया..

गाँधीजी द्वारा किया गया परिवर्तन और असली भजन👇🏿

गाँधीजी का भजन

रघुपति राघव राजाराम,
पतित पावन सीताराम
सीताराम सीताराम,
भज प्यारे तू सीताराम
ईश्वर अल्लाह तेरो नाम,
सब को सन्मति दे भगवान...

असली राम धुन भजन...

रघुपति राघव राजाराम
पतित पावन सीताराम
सुंदर विग्रह मेघश्याम
गंगा तुलसी शालीग्राम
भद्रगिरीश्वर सीताराम
भगत-जनप्रिय सीताराम
जानकीरमणा सीताराम
जयजय राघव सीताराम

बड़े-बड़े पंडित तथा वक्ता भी इस भजन को गलत गाते हैं, यहां तक कि मंदिरो में भी उन्हें रोके कौन?
'श्रीराम को सुमिरन' करने के इस भजन को जिन्होंने बनाया था उनका नाम था लक्ष्मणाचार्य
ये भजन
"श्री नमः रामनायनम"
नामक हिन्दू-ग्रन्थ से लिया गया है।

शेयर करें ताकि लोग जागरूक हो सकें।
धन्यवाद

gyan

Aug 14, 2017, 8:21:33 AM8/14/17
Hello Sheyfali,

Raghupati Raghav Raja Ram is a Hindu devotional song. The lyrics was taken from original Hindu text "Nama Ramayanam" written by Shri Lakshmanacharya.

Check the following url:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raghupati_Raghava_Raja_Ram

Thanks,
Gyan

ober...@gmail.com

Aug 15, 2017, 10:27:34 PM8/15/17
Hi,
I remember one thing about this bhajan.

Our family migrated from Rawalpindi (W. Pak it was India) to New Delhi in 1947. I attended Reading Road Primary school from 1949 to 1953, which was near Punchkuia Road. On Punchkuia Road, there a Bhangi Colony and Mahatma Gandhi used to paray in a temple for all the Schedule Cast(those who clean the roads and bathrooms and so on).Mahatma Gandhi was very unhappy that schedule cast and schedule tribes are not allowed in the temple and places of prayer.

So he decided to pay with all the Schedule Cast and Schedule Tribe people in a temple in their Colony on Panchulai Road. He used to sing "Raghupati Raghav Raja Ram" in the temple. It was written by one of the participant of the temple for Mahatma Gandhi. This Bhajan became very famous and is sung by everybody.

Now there are many versions of this Bhajan.

Now I live in USA.

> | Thanks
> | Rajpal
New Jersey, USA

shreya...@gmail.com

Mar 26, 2018, 2:11:51 PM3/26/18
Do you know, you are answering the question after roughly 18 years?

Lol!

dsinh...@gmail.com

Apr 18, 2019, 9:33:23 AM4/18/19
On Monday, December 13, 1999 at 3:00:00 AM UTC-5, Anurag Shankar wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Can someone who knows please help this lady? Thanks.
>
> --Anurag
>
> | Hi Mr. Shankar,
> | I've just been browsing your very useful website. I wonder if you can
> | help with a bit of research I'm doing on the Raghupati Raga bhajan. I
> | was trying to find out who wrote it and where it comes from. I thought,
> | since you have developed this site you may have heard from people who
> | know about some of the music.
> | I have heard that it's associate with Gandhi, but there's some
> | confusion about whether he actually wrote it or not. Anyway, any help
> | you can give would be most appreciated.
> |
> | Thanks
> | Sheyfali

Dev Seo

Jul 7, 2022, 7:48:24 AM7/7/22

Jonny jon

Dec 16, 2022, 12:49:24 PM12/16/22
On Thursday, 7 July 2022 at 04:48:24 UTC-7, Dev Seo wrote:
> The best thing about content is that it's not just another blog site. It's a website that has a lot of different features and always looks good.
>
> Follow this Links
https://blogsmarto.com/
https://blogsmarto.com/what-is-smart-watch-and-what-are-the-advantages/
https://blogsmarto.com/the-top-5-best-smart-watches-to-buy-in-2022/