S D Burman & Sahir Ludhianvi

Sukesh

Nov 11, 2006, 1:22:58 AM11/11/06
Upto PYAASA (1957), SDB and SL constituted a very successful team.

Would anybody know as what led to parting of ways and they never worked
together again ?

Regards
Sukesh

shri37

Nov 11, 2006, 8:27:26 PM11/11/06

Maybe beacuse Sahir died !!! haha just joking.

shri37

Nov 12, 2006, 8:04:04 AM11/12/06

On Nov 12, 6:27 am, "shri37" <shr...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> On Nov 11, 11:22 am, "Sukesh" <sukesh_hoo...@NOSPAMyahoo.co.in> wrote:
>
> > Upto PYAASA (1957), SDB and SL constituted a very successful team.
>
> > Would anybody know as what led to parting of ways and they never worked
> > together again ?

This things happen in Bollywood. Naushad started with Mukesh ( Andaz
-Mela) and then turned to Rafi.SDB and Lata did not work together for
long time.Lata dropped Chitlakar like hot potato. OP never worked with
Lata. When Anilda -legendary melody maker gave songs to Mina kapoor -
lata saw to it that he has to leaves film Indusrty.( surprising common
factor is Lata !) Here big fish eats little fish.Shnakar & sharada and
lata episode is welknown.
Musicians are like fine tuned musical instruments - they break easily.

Jag Chan

Nov 12, 2006, 12:41:22 PM11/12/06
"Sukesh" <sukesh...@NOSPAMyahoo.co.in> wrote in

It started with Pyasa songs.
Sahir rather rashly said that popularity of Pyasa's songs were entirely due
to his lyrics, thus implying that Dada had very little to do with its
popularity.
This hurt Dada's ego and he vowed never to work with Sahir again and Pyasa
was the last of Dada & Sahir's film.
Sahir did try to to make amend but Dada never worked with him again.
Regards.

rafeeq...@yahoo.com

Nov 12, 2006, 10:26:08 PM11/12/06
i remember an op nayyar interview where he said that sahir (he had
worked with sahir in movies like naya daur and sone ki chidiya) had
said in a party that he helps music director establish themselves and
he gave the example of sdb, khaiyyam and a few others. op said that he
decided then and there that he did not want to work with a writer with
such a bloated head.

afair sahir and salil did not work together (for salil shailendra was
the greatest ever) but they had a very interesting and much publicised
argument (source salilda's interview on dd). sahir used to tell salil
that writing to a tune was like cutting the body to suit the coffin.
salilda famously retorted very true of course the question is which is
the body and which is the coffin.

asi...@my-deja.com

Nov 12, 2006, 11:09:34 PM11/12/06

> On Nov 11, 11:22 am, "Sukesh" <sukesh_hoo...@NOSPAMyahoo.co.in> wrote:
> > Upto PYAASA (1957), SDB and SL constituted a very successful team.
> >
> > Would anybody know as what led to parting of ways and they never worked
> > together again ?
> >
> > Regards
> > Sukesh

Kishore Valicha has mentioned in his bio of KK that they had a tiff
over "tadabiir se biga.Dii hu_ii taqadiir banaa le, taqadiir banaa le"
from Baazi, which Sahir wanted to be included as a traditional song
(qawwali or semi-classical ghazal). After he heard the recording, he
was aghast and had a row with SDB. SDB stuck to his guns and indicated
that people would prefer the song as it was recorded. He was proved
right. Apparently, SDB did not want to work with Sahir again. Guru Dutt
patched things up between them, at Sahir's request, since Sahir could
not afford to antagonize a MD like SDB. Consequently, as a measure of
his gratitude Sahir gave his best to Guru Dutt. Anyway, all this is
Valicha's version. I have no idea why they broke up for a second time
after Pyaasa.

Cheers
Arun

pradeep

Nov 13, 2006, 12:10:19 AM11/13/06

'as a measure of his gratitude Sahir gave his best to Guru Dutt.'
sounds a bit farfetched. It is as if Sahir was not giving his best to
the producers signing him!

Sahir, it is said, began demanding that MDs go to his place for the
song creation sessions ('sittings' as they were widely known in the HFM
industry), rather than the other way round, as was the norm then. This
meant a MD would have to cart his harmonuim ('baajaa') to Sahir's home
for these sessions. This may have some bearing on why SDB did not work
with Sahir again.

.....Pradeep

Hema

Nov 13, 2006, 2:51:28 PM11/13/06

rafeeq...@yahoo.com wrote:

> argument (source salilda's interview on dd). sahir used to tell salil
> that writing to a tune was like cutting the body to suit the coffin.
> salilda famously retorted very true of course the question is which is
> the body and which is the coffin.

Interestingly, the same body-coffin analogy was used by Kaifi's
character in "kaifi aur main".
As an aside one thing that striked me was that some of kaifi's
contemporaries like Majrooh, Sardar Jafri, etc from PWA were mentioned
many times; however there was no mention of Sahir. AFAIK, Sahir was
also a part of the PWA and he remains a very well known name, which is
why I am little surprised that his name wasn't mentioned.

Hema.

Subhash Patil

Feb 3, 2023, 1:34:47 PM2/3/23
This was the last film (Paaysa - 1957) in which S.D. Burmanda ji (Sr. Burman) and Sahir Ludhianvi ji worked together. Their estrangement was a result of Sahir's claim that the film's success was more due to his lyrics than due to Burman's music. Sahir had a similar argument with Jaidev during the making of " Mujhe Jeene Do " (1963) and stopped working with him as well.