Ghulam Ali: Golden Collection

Dattatraya Kulkarni

Nov 20, 1992, 12:09:24 PM11/20/92
Recently, I came across a 4 casst album:
The Golden Collection, Ghulam Ali Ghazals, HMV 1991.

Its a great collection including Chupke chupke, Hangama hai kyon barpa,
Bin Barish barsat, Aawargi-yeh dil pagal dil mera, Kiya hai pyar jise.
(there are plenty more anyway).

I love ghazals, but, thanks to my poor-hindi-and-nil-urdu, I am unable
to enjoy it more. I am certain there are many more like me out there.
Could we systematically start collecting the lyrics, WITH the meanings
of unfamiliar words?

--kulkarni dh

Dattatraya Kulkarni

Nov 20, 1992, 12:50:08 PM11/20/92
ku...@cs.toronto.edu (Dattatraya Kulkarni) writes:

>--kulkarni dh

As a starter:
Hangama hai kyon Barpa, Akbar Allahabadi:

Hangama hai kyon barpa thodisi jo peeli hai (2)
Daka tho nahin dala chori tho nahin kee hai (Hangama)

Us mehfil nahin matlab dil jise hai begaana
^^^^^^ not sure
Maksood hai us mein se dil hi mein jo kuch pee hai (Han.)

Suraj mein lage tabba chitrath ke karishme hain
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Kuch humko kahe kafir allah ki marji hai (Han.)

Na thajurba ka hi se baij ke bathe hain
^^^^^^^
Is rang ko kya jaane poocho tho kabhi pee jai (Han.)

Har jar-rachmatha hai anware ilahi se
^^^^^^^^^^^^^ scrambled
Har saas ye kehthi hai hum hai tho khuda bhi hai (Han.)

(Meanings please)
Hangama, barpa, begaana, maksood, tabba, chitrath, karishma,
kafir, scrambled-stuff.

-----------------

--kulkarni dh

Raj Ganesan

Nov 20, 1992, 1:06:48 PM11/20/92
You're absolutely right. I love ghazals too, but some of them are
so difficult to understand. I always enjoy ghazal postings
(Thanks Rajiv, Prabhu!) - and i do think that we ought to have
our own collection of lyrics with their meanings and stuff.

/Raj

Tushar Samant

Nov 20, 1992, 3:08:33 PM11/20/92

ku...@cs.toronto.edu (Dattatraya Kulkarni) writes:

>As a starter:
>Hangama hai kyon Barpa, Akbar Allahabadi:

Here are some explanations of this mystic ghazal, as per my limited
knowledge:

The first (er, second) couplet should be:

us mai se nahin matlab dil jis se ho begaana
maksood hai us mai se dil hi mein jo ???????? hai

mai (ma-y) = "booze". About the question marks, I am not too
sure. The meaning, roughly, is: my concern is not with the drink
that makes the mind go awry, I want the drink that will ... (have
to know what the word is).

The poet is evidently talking about a more abstract "mai".

The next couplet should start:

sooraj mein lage dhabbaa, kudrat ke karishme hain

although I am not too sure about "kudrat". Meaning: A spot across
the sun (eclipse?) is but another manifestation of nature (i.e of
natural laws, not a new miracle). [But when I say this] some people
call me a kaafir. (Oh well,) whatever Allah wishes.

In my humble opinion, the poet is humorously saying how an immature
appreciation of the world makes people see "kaafir"-ness in the wrong
things.

The next almost certainly is:

naa tajrubaa-kaari se waa-iz ki ye baaten hain
is rang ko kyaa jaane poochho to kabhi pee hain

I don't know the exact meaning of tajrubaa-kaari, but here it means
indulgence (in drink). So the couplet means: The talk of the waa-iz
(don't know for sure, well, at least a wet-blanket anti-drink preachy
guy) is because he hasn't tried the stuff. What can he know about
the the intoxication ("rang")?

Again, peena has a double-layered meaning.

Next:

har zarraa chamakta hai anwaar-e-ilaahi se
har saans ye kahti hai ham hai to khudaa bhi hai

Meaning: Every grain of sand shines with the glory of the one God (Allah).
Every living breath says, if I am, so is Khudaa. (i.e. affirms (or proves)
the existence of khudaa.)

I suspect there is more of a mystic flight to these lines than my simplistic
interpretation.

Whew. This is the most I can do with such "heavy" stuff. I can't vouch for
my being absolutely right. For more, we must turn to the experts. I am sure
the meanings of individual words will be pretty clear from the context now,
by the way.

tushar

Rajat Bhatnagar

Nov 21, 1992, 6:24:03 PM11/21/92
In article <92Nov20.124...@neat.cs.toronto.edu> ku...@cs.toronto.edu (Dattatraya Kulkarni) writes:
> ---rest deleted---

>As a starter:
>Hangama hai kyon Barpa, Akbar Allahabadi:
>
>Hangama hai kyon barpa thodisi jo peeli hai (2)
>Daka tho nahin dala chori tho nahin kee hai (Hangama)
>
>Us mehfil nahin matlab dil jise hai begaana
> ^^^^^^ not sure

mai (meaning wine or sharaab)

>Maksood hai us mein se dil hi mein jo kuch pee hai (Han.)

^^^^^^^^^^^
I think it is kichti hai

>Suraj mein lage tabba chitrath ke karishme hain
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

dhabba fitrat

>Kuch humko kahe kafir allah ki marji hai

^^^^^ but (idol)

>Na thajurba ka hi se baij ke bathe hain
> ^^^^^^^
>Is rang ko kya jaane poocho tho kabhi pee jai (Han.)
>
>Har jar-rachmatha hai anware ilahi se
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^ scrambled

zarra chamakta

>Har saas ye kehthi hai hum hai tho khuda bhi hai (Han.)
>
>(Meanings please)
>Hangama, barpa, begaana, maksood, tabba, chitrath, karishma,

hangama - chaos or in hindi shor
barpa - happen ( not an exact meaning ,could somebody else confirm)
maksood - matlab
dhabba - spot
fitrat - nature ( not sure)
karisma - miracle

>kafir, scrambled-stuff.

kafir - atheist or non believer
zarra - ? maybe diamond

>--kulkarni dh

Rajat Bhatnagar
--
* Falak ka teer sa kya dekhta nishaana tha *
* Udhar thi bijli idhar mera aashiana tha *